Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? (14162 Views)

Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 / Are Nigerians Eating Too Much Rice? / Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by OHCOMEON: 9:00am On Feb 06, 2017
Nice write-up BBC, but no suggestion on how we can overcome the challenges. Are you mocking us?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by joycesims(f): 9:14am On Feb 06, 2017

Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by DESTINY41(m): 9:30am On Feb 06, 2017
The same reason why BBC can't do without reporting bad news
Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by Abagworo(m): 10:11am On Feb 06, 2017
That's one of the gains if Buhari administration that irrational people refuse to acknowledge. Agriculture is actually on the rise and many parts of the country are now producing rice. In a few years we shall be rice sufficient.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 06, 2017
you can't be import dependent and not wallow in poverty. agriculture should be our major income earner, but our leaders are bereft of common "sense".....all of them
Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by 7lives: 10:49am On Feb 06, 2017
ifenes:
They are too busy getting irrelevant university certificates but have no idea how to grow rice.

Don't mind them, Nigerians like to dey deceive themselves, wey back in the village, we plant cassava, harvest, cut into pieces, sun dried and kept in the store to fees our goats.
We plant yams that we eat and made our own yam flour from the remnants and keep the wastes from from both yams and cassava sun dried, still to feed our goats.
We also plant our vegetables, pepper and tomatoes, the only thing we buy is meat, oils, corn, guinea corn and rice because it's cheaper to buy than to produce.
My grandma was not literate but she understands the importance of farming, we even gave out grains and all to the needy especially during festivals, who wants to do all these today? everyone wants to live in the city and do white collar jobs that are no where to be found?

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2017
woodcook:
See jamb question. BBC abeg na only garri una want make we dey chop? grin

LOL i no sure say you read the write up at all, He said since we are importing that much and we have enough land why can't we be planting rice ourself..
Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by BuzzyG(m): 1:54pm On Feb 06, 2017
Yemike:
The way some people consume rice is alarming. I only take rice like once in a week, i can cope without it.But beans? i can't cope without it for two days.

wow! My MAN!, I am in the same shoes with you all the way.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by mikolo80: 1:32pm On Feb 07, 2017
erico2k2:
Cos of greed
??
Re: Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? by mikolo80: 1:35pm On Feb 07, 2017
cooljude:
Rice was never our major food, it started growing more popular this 21st century and it has now replaced Yam as the most consumed meal. So naturally we didn't cultivate Rice in quantity to meet up with the growing demand for it all-over Nigeria.
[quote ]

So?
Before fire man ate raw meat
Adapt and stop whining
Secondly, the technical know-how of Rice farming is low in Nigeria.
[quote ]

How technical is putting seed in the ground?
E mean say rocket science no go be your grand chudren portion abi
[/quote]
Basic amenities to grow this sector is better left to the god's to explain because me being a mere mortal can't explain how a country after 50 years of existence can't provide the most basic things for growth.
[quote ]

But basic amenity to grow yam and maize de? No be so

[/quote]
In short we just can't seem to get the simplest things done.[/quote] we can
We refuse to

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edikaikong / How To Make Nigeria Chin Chin / I Just Bought A Kg Of Cooking Gas For N1300. Am I Still In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.