Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse (1768 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. / What Is The Worst Thing That Can Happen To A Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by nene1: 12:50am On Dec 04, 2009
Why do people have joint accounts with their spouses? Do you need to have a joint account to pay bills? Couldn't a couple pay their share of the bills through their own separate accounts? I think it's a good idea to have a joint account, but due to so many stories I hear about unfaithful spouses, I don't know if I could trust my husband with all my money when I get married. But I guess I can just put a certain perctage in the joint account and the rest in my own personal account. Would you want to have a joint account with your spouse? I feel like a spouse should be someone you could trust with your life, but I feel like the meaning of marriage today has dimished. People are making it into a business. It is more about money and profit now. Many people marry for the wrong reasons and these things are making it hard to trust people. When I see stories of women who have been married for 20+ years for their spouse to cheat on them and they end up divorcing. It's pretty discouraging. I don't want to be with a man today who claims to love me more than anything today and then tomorrow it's a differnt story. What is your take on this? I feel like trust is the most important part in a relationship yet the hardest to maintain.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by mamagee3(f): 12:56am On Dec 04, 2009
That one would take time to decide. grin grin
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by sjeezy8: 12:56am On Dec 04, 2009
My wife should put all her money and pay checks in the joint account. Me ohh my own is different- I will probably have other accounts in other countries, while putting money in the joint account as well.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 1:24am On Dec 04, 2009
I see nothing wrong in operating a joint account with your wife or husband.

If you trust your spouse enough to have children with them, not trusting them with money says a lot about you as a person. And before folk start defending their unwillingness to have joint accounts due to unfaithful spouses and all the rest, think what led you to marry your partner in the first place.

Some folk would die for money, yet fail to put the important things in life first.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 1:46am On Dec 04, 2009
marriage should be about trust honesty and respect.
there is nothing wrong with having a JOINT ACCOUNT where both of you put a certain amount each month for the upkeep of the house, children,mortgage, bills etc

if you are thinking about your wife´s possiblity of cheating as soon as you get married while talking about joint account then you probably shouldnt get married. let your spouse make that mistake before you blame her for it.

as i always say: marriage is like a flower and if you dont have what it takes to water it then its bound to fail.
nobody ever said that marriage was easy. wasnt back in the days, isnt now!

stop thinking about the horror stories that you hear about married couple, as much as i hate to say it, there are many success story, not much but there are some out there. if you dont think that you could be THAT lucky then marriage is not meant for you.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by nene1: 4:57am On Dec 04, 2009
Siena:

I see nothing wrong in operating a joint account with your wife or husband.

If you trust your spouse enough to have children with them, not trusting them with money says a lot about you as a person. And before folk start defending their unwillingness to have joint accounts due to unfaithful spouses and all the rest, think what led you to marry your partner in the first place.
Some folk would die for money, yet fail to put the important things in life first.

Having children with someone doesn't mean anything. That does not measure the amount of trust you have for someone. There are people who live together and choose to have children together, but are not married. However I definitely agree with the bolded part.

By the way, your profile pick with your wife is very nice. Are you nigerians? Just wondering.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by FayeZik(f): 6:16am On Dec 04, 2009
I understand ur feelings about not being able to trust people nowadays, unfortunately, this includes the person you love and call 'your better half'. However, you can still have a joint account, or what I call a family account. In this account, each one of you will be saving an amount that is already agreed upon by both of you and have 2 signatories, that way, no money can go out without both of your signatures on the check. If the unexpected situation comes up, it's easy to split the money and each person get his/her half.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by saintneo(m): 7:41am On Dec 04, 2009
[size=18pt]women![/size]

when they have more than the man, they tend to think wayward things. gotta stop here
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 04, 2009
nene1:

Having children with someone doesn't mean anything. That does not measure the amount of trust you have for someone. There are people who live together and choose to have children together, but are not married. However I definitely agree with the bolded part.

By the way, your profile pick with your wife is very nice. Are you nigerians? Just wondering.

Thanks buddy, yes, we're both Nigerians. smiley
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Godmother(f): 10:30am On Dec 04, 2009
Personally, if I have to have a joint account with my spouse at all, it will only contain a small portion of my money while I have my personal account someplace else
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by whitelexi(m): 10:35am On Dec 04, 2009
I've got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind. . .  Women come later on my list, so the prospect of a joint account is totally off the face of the earth. She wont even know how much i take home monthly. . .  There's absolutely no need for that, marriage is not by force, and anyone can easily adopt kids these days.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 04, 2009
whitelexi:

I've got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind. . . Women come later on my list, so the prospect of a joint account is totally off the face of the earth. She wont even know how much i take home monthly. . . There's absolutely no need for that, marriage is not by force, and anyone can easily adopt kids these days.

Brother Lex, you're letting money rule your life. It's possible to have all the money in the world, and still not be happy. If you're going as far as hiding your take-home pay from your wife, I think it's best you don't get married at all. Keep girlfriends, but don't elevate them to the position of "wife."

How can you and your wife make plans, like have kids, holidays, building a home etc, when she has no idea if you both can afford it, as she has no clue what you're worth??
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by ladyhard(f): 11:49am On Dec 04, 2009
No joint account for me.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by r231(m): 12:11pm On Dec 04, 2009
There should be at least 3 bank accounts. Yours, your spouse's, and a joint account. NOTHING creates problem in marriage than money. If you each allocate some money to yourself that you NEVER have to explain what you spent it on with your spouse, your marriage will be much better. I NEVER want to know that she spent £35 on a tube of lipstick. Just like she never needs to know that I spent £150 on the latest and greatest electric razor.

You might also have an emergency, vacation, or Christmas (holiday) account. grin
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by ThoniaSlim(f): 1:25pm On Dec 04, 2009
Yes I can have a joint account with my husband. . .it would cater for family related issues such as family upkeep, children education, family vacations etc.

then we can both have our individual accounts. . .
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Rhymez(m): 1:34pm On Dec 04, 2009
No matter how we vow not to lay low in our relationship, I aint into joint account grin.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 04, 2009
ThoniaSlim:

Yes I can have a joint account with my husband. . .it would cater for family related issues such as family upkeep, children education, family vacations etc.

then we can both have our individual accounts. . .

Makes perfect sense, Ms Slim. smiley

Rhymez:

No matter how we vow not to lay low in our relationship, I aint into joint account grin.

Lol. Are you a married man, by any chance?
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by nene1: 1:42pm On Dec 04, 2009
Siena:

Thanks buddy, yes, we're both Nigerians. smiley

O okay. Some naijas do look like black americans. That's just why I was asking. You guys kinda looked American to me.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 04, 2009
^^^ Ah, cool. We couldn't be more Nigerian though. smiley
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by nene1: 2:49am On Dec 06, 2009
Siena:

^^^ Ah, cool. We couldn't be more Nigerian though. smiley

lol, o ok. i like ur pride. but yea you n your wife seem like the kind of happy couple i want to be with my husband. well that is when i do get married lol.
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 08, 2009
^^^ Aww! Thanks for your endorsement. smiley
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by chocomillo(f): 4:20pm On Dec 08, 2009
Only if the I do's have been said cool
Re: Trust In A Marriage:having A Joint Account With Your Spouse by tRoOE(f): 5:24am On Dec 09, 2009
The only joint acct will be for the household, eg,bills,food stuffs, apart from that no joint acct
He shuld keep his stash of money separate from mine, like the saying goes "Money is d root of evil"

(1) (Reply)

Her Elder Brother Wants To Move Into Her Matrimonial Home.(advice) / Male Child Syndrome / 15-yr-old Girl Confesses:my Dad Has Been Having Sex With Me Since I Was 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.