Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread - Sports (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread (44105 Views)

Poll: Which team will win the 2010 African Cup of Nations?

Nigeria: 46% (114 votes)
Ivory Coast: 24% (61 votes)
Ghana: 6% (15 votes)
Cameroon: 6% (17 votes)
Angola: 1% (4 votes)
Algeria: 0% (0 votes)
Egypt: 13% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

AFROBASKET2015 FINAL: Nigeria Vs. Angola 74 - 65 On 30th August 2015 / African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Most Successful National Teams In Africa Nations Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by honeric01(m): 7:58pm On Jan 21, 2010
CONFIRMED

ZAMBIA VS NIGERIA  MONDAY 7:30PM

EGYPT VS CAMEROON.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by honeric01(m): 7:59pm On Jan 21, 2010
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Uche2nna(m): 7:59pm On Jan 21, 2010
honeric01:

CONFIRMED

ZAMBIA VS NIGERIA  MONDAY 7:30PM

EGYPT VS CAMEROON.

Where did u get that confirmation from?

And how did they come up with that?
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by honeric01(m): 8:01pm On Jan 21, 2010
Uche2nna:

Where did u get that confirmation from?

And how did they come up with that?

SEE BELOW
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by EzeCanada: 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
Wow!!   Nigeria is playing Zambia, thats what CAF says according to the table below:

Group 4 Final standing
Team MP W D L GF GA GD Pts
  Zambia 3 1 1 1 5 5 0 4
  Cameroon 3 1 1 1 5 5 0 4
  Gabon 3 1 1 1 2 2 0 4
  Tunisia 3 0 3 0 3 3 0 3

Pls. see link http://www.cafonline.com/competition/african-cup-of-nations-angola_2010/results
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Uche2nna(m): 8:05pm On Jan 21, 2010
I have absolutely no idea how they came up with that. sad

Fair play? undecided
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by dayokanu(m): 8:08pm On Jan 21, 2010
Based on this I think Nigeria plays Zambia. I for like make we play Cameroun and get out butts kicked

Look for my table in the previous page

The mini league would be like
---------------P --W--D--L--GF--GA--GD--PTS
Cameroun ----2---1---0--1--3----3---0-----3
Gabon---------2---1---0--1--2----2--0------3
Zambia--------2---1---0--1--4---4---0------3

With this analysis Zambia tops the group! As they have more goals scored in the mini league and Cameroun second
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by tkb417(m): 8:10pm On Jan 21, 2010
Goals scored and against and difference for Zambia and Cameroon are the same

So how did Zambia come tops?
Are these CAF people confused?
Why didn't Mali qualify then?
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by akinalabi(m): 8:11pm On Jan 21, 2010
tkb417:

Goals scored and against and difference for Zambia and Cameroon are the same

So how did Zambia come tops?
Are these CAF people confused?
Why didn't Mali qualify then?

Omo, I'm confused
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by EzeCanada: 8:14pm On Jan 21, 2010
Zambia topped the group by Lot casting peharps,   and Issa Hayatou becomes the Ifa Priest  grin

Read article 14 of CAF regulations below:
Article 14
In case of equality of points between two or more teams, after all the group
matches, the ranking of the teams shall be established according to the
following criteria:
14.1 Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the concerned
teams;
14.2. Best goal difference in the matches between the concerned teams;
14.3. Greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the
concerned teams;
14.4. Greater number of away goals scored in the direct matches between the
concerned teams;
14.5. Goal difference in all the group matches;
14.6. Greatest number of goals scored in all the group matches;
14.7. A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee of CAF.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Borat1: 8:16pm On Jan 21, 2010
Hayatou no want make we knack him team commot that early in the competition,
bloodclat  angry tongue
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by pie1ect(m): 8:27pm On Jan 21, 2010
Here's my thought,

CAF goes with head-to-head rather than goal difference hence Algeria qualifying ahead of Mali in Group A despite a -2 goal difference to Mali's +1.

Here's how the results in group D went. . .

Gabon beat Cameroun
Cameroun beat Zambia

BUT

Zambia [b]beat [/b]Gabon who had previously beaten Cameroun, making Zambia theoretically superior to Cameroun in the group. So

Doesn't look very convincing but that's all I can come up with.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Uche2nna(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2010
pie1ect:

Zambia [b]beat [/b]Gabon who had previously beaten Cameroun, making Zambia theoretically superior to Cameroun in the group. So

Doesn't look very convincing but that's all I can come up with.

Yeah, not convincing at all. Cameroon BEAT Zambia
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by ProAnti: 8:35pm On Jan 21, 2010
The mini league rule is not in the  competition rule. What should count here is firstly, the head to head rule then the number of goals scored.
The head to head rule cannot apply due to the cyclic wins. The next criteria produces Cameroun and Zambia (not necessarily in that order) as the group winners. I think some other rule (probbably the fair play rule) was used in deciding who tops the group.

Abi na Hayatou arrangee, I no know sha  grin grin
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by akinalabi(m): 8:44pm On Jan 21, 2010
This is getting really really ridiculous.

Firstly, their rule says Head to Head over goals difference.

Gabon and Cameroon had 4 points each. Head to Head, Gabon should be ahead of
Cameroon.

Secondly, Head to Head between Camerron and Zambia means Cameroon should top
the group.

Madness!
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by tkb417(m): 8:48pm On Jan 21, 2010
Let's even use Goals scored to pick Cameroon and Zambia

How on earth will Zambia now come tops when head to head will favour Cameroon

Our football affairs in Africa is governed by confuzzled souls

Its a no brainer, Hayatou is a bleeding Arrow!!
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by RuuDie(m): 8:49pm On Jan 21, 2010
just heard kalusha bwalya (Zambia FA president) live on SS3 say that CAF has confirmed to him that Zambia tops and play naija while Cameroon take on Egypt.

So it is fact!
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by okunoba(m): 8:52pm On Jan 21, 2010
Zambia plays Egypt, Nig vs Cam.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by tkb417(m): 8:53pm On Jan 21, 2010
But why should Only CAF knows how Zambia and Cameroon qualified and who came tops?

That has never happened in any WC or any UEFA competition!!
What kinda org is CAF. Even Kalusha had to call them to ask who came tops

Hilarious
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by RuuDie(m): 8:55pm On Jan 21, 2010
the unhappiest race in Africa at the moment will be the Pharaohs. . . . . my oh my, they have just been screwed by CAF - no world cup and now,Lions stand in the way of their AFCON progress  grin grin grin
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by tkb417(m): 8:58pm On Jan 21, 2010
No sir!
Judging from what I've seen the 2 sides play in this competition, the Egyptians shouldn't fear

The Cameroonians should be very afraid
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by chic2pimp(m): 9:00pm On Jan 21, 2010
RuuDie:

the unhappiest race in Africa at the moment will be the Pharaohs. . . . . my oh my, they have just been screwed by CAF - no world cup and now,Lions stand in the way of their AFCON progress  grin grin grin
Are you kiddding me?
I forsee egypt winning this match especially with the leaky defence the indomintable lions currently have.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by RuuDie(m): 9:01pm On Jan 21, 2010
The rule applied was this:

Highest Goals scored between concerned teams i.e Zambia, Cameroon & Gabon

Zambia scored 4 goals against both Cameroon & Gabon (2, 2)
Cameroon scored 3 goals against Zambia & Gabon (3, 0)
Gabon scored 2 goals against Zambia & Cameroon (1, 1)

Make any sense

that was how the SS3 guys worked it out & i figure that is what CAF used to decide cuz its there in the guidelines for deciding these situation - check the CAF website, u'll see it.
either ways, commercially CAF do not suffer from this becuz CMR-NGR or CMR-EGY is sure to be a sell-out anyday!
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by dayokanu(m): 9:05pm On Jan 21, 2010
In football when there is a tie, they would do a mini league removing the team that is not in contention

The mini league would be like
---------------P --W--D--L--GF--GA--GD--PTS
Cameroun ----2---1---0--1--3----3---0-----3
Gabon---------2---1---0--1--2----2--0------3
Zambia--------2---1---0--1--4---4---0------3

With this analysis Zambia tops the group! As they have more goals scored in the mini league and Cameroun second
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by RuuDie(m): 9:09pm On Jan 21, 2010
@ tkb, chic2pimp. . .

its not about form or who plays better - its more of the luck of the green; Egypt have been scoring successes over Cameroon in previous meetings but fate always evens these things out in a very painful way, call it karma. . . . take Gabon-Cameroon for instance, at some point Gabon was always gonna take their pound of flesh.
am sure the pharaoahs are already seeing the writing on the wall.

@ Dayo,

i think its just about the same principle that CAF has applied here!
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by tkb417(m): 9:13pm On Jan 21, 2010
I think the mini league solves the riddle then

@Ruudie
I don't believe in luck or stuffs like that
I believe in who sabi play. Egypt will beat Cameroon in this tourney
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by RuuDie(m): 9:25pm On Jan 21, 2010
tkb417:

I think the mini league solves the riddle then

@Ruudie
I don't believe in luck or stuffs like that
I believe in who sabi play. Egypt will beat Cameroon in this tourney

No worry. . . . we go all see am with we own eyes grin grin
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Uche2nna(m): 9:29pm On Jan 21, 2010
So Nigeria VS Zambia then. A repeat of Tunisia'94 finals then.

I wouldnt want to be from Cameroon right now. grin The qfinals will be their last match in this edition of the Nations cup
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Ibime(m): 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2010
After the mini league has been applied and the two qualifying teams selected, the loop is closed and the winner selected. If it was an algorithm, it would have already churned out a result. . . that result being Zambia. We cannot go back and apply an earlier loop (Head to Head) rule to place Cameroon over Zambia, because that loop has already been processed earlier and produced no winner.

Hence  Zambia is the rightful winner of the group.

Now to the match on Sunday. . . thank God we didnt draw Tunisia and Cameroon. . . Cameroon are shite. . . their defenders are old and slow and they have no width . . . we should normally beat them but the sense of occassion may overwhelm our players. . . . thank God we didnt get Tunisia either. . . them North African teams are good at nicking games 1-0 on the counterattack. . . .  We would have beaten Gabon easy. . .

As for Zambia, they have a lot of attacking threat, but their defence is also porous. . . . especially their keeper. . . as long as we dont bring Olofinjana and Yobo them back into the team, we should be able to deal with their physicallity well. . .

I think we have the best draw of all the teams left in the competition. . .
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by FBS: 9:48pm On Jan 21, 2010
CAF = Total Confusion.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by chamotex(m): 10:05pm On Jan 21, 2010
FBS:

CAF = Total Confusion.

There is no confusion here . . . People are the ones confusing themselves.

You cant use head-to-head against 3 teams that beat each other in this way.
Gabon beat Cameroun, Cameroun beat Zambia and Zambia beat Gabon.
Based on head-to-head, no one can be knocked out. why?

Gabon can argue that they beat Cameroun so they should be ahead of Cameroun at least
Cameroun can argue that they beat Zambia so they should be ahead of Zambia at least
Lasty, Zambia can also argue that they beat Gabon, so they should automatically be ahead of Gabon whatever happens.

Hence, the reason Goals Difference was used . . . . . Remember the rule says head-to-head first, then if there's a tie GD will be used.

The situation between Algeria and Mali is straight up simple.  Algeria beat Mali.
Case Closed
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Iyineda(m): 10:08pm On Jan 21, 2010
It's funny to see how people still don't get this QF scheduling despite clarification. grin

- Gabon, Zambia and Cameroon all had the same number of points (4)

- The head to head rule cannot be applied because Cameroon beat Zambia, Zambia beat Gabon and Gabon beat Cameroon (vicious circle)

- Next rule is the number of goals scored among those 3 nations only (excludes Tunisia), so Zambia come 1st with 4 goals (2 against Cameroon and 2 against Gabon), then 2nd is Cameroon with 3 goals and finally Gabon end 3rd of the group with 2 goals (rule is also known as "mini-league"wink. wink

chamotex:

There is no confusion here . . . People are the ones confusing themselves.

You cant use head-to-head against 3 teams that beat each other in this way.
Gabon beat Cameroun, Cameroun beat Zambia and Zambia beat Gabon.
Based on head-to-head, no one can be knocked out. why?

Gabon can argue that they beat Cameroun so they should be ahead of Cameroun at least
Cameroun can argue that they beat Zambia so they should be ahead of Zambia at least
Lasty, Zambia can also argue that they beat Gabon, so they should automatically be ahead of Gabon whatever happens.

Hence, the reason Goals Difference was used . . . . . Remember the rule says head-to-head first, then if there's a tie GD will be used.

The situation between Algeria and Mali is straight up simple.  Algeria beat Mali.
Case Closed

Quoted for maximum truth. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (41) (Reply)

Dominic Dukudod Is Dead! Don K Slumps And Dies While Warming Up For Match / Top Ten Strongest Footballers As At 2015-2017 / Meet Dantala Vanshali Philex, Contortionist With Super Flexible Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.