Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,092 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas (15307 Views)

Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State / Ooni Of Ife Different From World Leaders And Kings I've Met - Arab Billionaire / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Standarrd: 6:17pm On Oct 19, 2022
Probz:
Some of the lightest-skinned Yorubas you'll ever see.

But I heard no one can sabi their dialect. undecided
yes very pretty girls, 3 of my ex are from ondo. They love ibo guys alot

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Probz(m): 6:43pm On Oct 19, 2022
Standarrd:

yes very pretty girls, 3 of my ex are from ondo. They love ibo guys alot

I know. There’s something special about Ondo people.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Probz(m): 6:50pm On Oct 19, 2022
I was going in casual when I made those initial posts 5 years ago but in reality I know all-about Ondo people and the fact that they have a certain Eastern affinity in a way that’s best-understood intuitively for-now. Similar story for ndu-Ekiti but Ekiti people by-and-large aren’t particularly light-skinned.
Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by UMUAZEE: 3:53am On Oct 20, 2022
OlaoChi:

Instead being moved to hatred and frustration why not let your bini pride move you to reading more history.

If you have a problem with my post you could have pointed them out by maybe mentioning one reputable historian that confirms the bini claim
BTW. Oduduwa is a Yoruba matter so maybe you should first face your own history and find out where ekalederan or whatever his name is died before interfering in Yoruba history which you have never for a sec researched

So you believe Oduduwa trekked down from the middle east??

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by UMUAZEE: 4:00am On Oct 20, 2022
OlaoChi:

Instead being moved to hatred and frustration why not let your bini pride move you to reading more history.

If you have a problem with my post you could have pointed them out by maybe mentioning one reputable historian that confirms the bini claim
BTW. Oduduwa is a Yoruba matter so maybe you should first face your own history and find out where ekalederan or whatever his name is died before interfering in Yoruba history which you have never for a sec researched

If you researched history like you are advocating you will find out that Ondo was for many years ruled by Benin kingdom and populated by Edo warriors and traders and settlers, thereby influencing the yoruba culture and also the large number of Edo groups in the state..

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by UGBE634: 7:01pm On Oct 20, 2022
UMUAZEE:

If you researched history like you are advocating you will find out that Ondo was for many years ruled by Benin kingdom and populated by Edo warriors and traders and settlers, thereby influencing the yoruba culture and also the large number of Edo groups in the state..
My brother Umuazee you are right, what Ondo and Ekiti is today is the diffusion of Edo in yoruba. Ondo and Ekiti was like the home away for Edo. Infact towns like Akure, Igbara-oke,Owo housed noticeable number of Edo citizens that the term Ekue emerged. Ekue is the coming together of Eastern yoruba and Edo, it ranges from being bilingual as a town to being from both sides of the divide ancestrally.

Pre 1914, there were many Binis with eastern yourba mothers with knowledge of their Igiogbe in Benin. Infact after the fall of Benin empire, in 1933, Oba Akenzua appealed to all Edos in Eastern yoruba land and western Igboland to come back home, join hands and develop this Benin. Many came back home, many more were submerged.

I know of a man who died recently in Benin with the name Bello, my aunties husband at the age of 95. This man did not have any idea of the community they migrated from in Benin, But he said his father told him he is from Benin, he came back and claimed Ovia north east,learnt the language and he Identified as Benin until he died. On his burial paper, they did not indicate any community just the Lga.

I met another man of recent, whose surname is Uwoghiren, this man is from IRELE local government in Ondo state, He relocated to Benin of recent. He informed me that in his community that there is a part that speak Benin, and another part that speak yoruba, although the Bini will be with less intelligibility now, maybe 70-around 75 percent. This man Identifies as Bini and his family greets Lavbieze.

What I am trying to say in essense is this, there is no group in Nigeria whose leader precolonially treated her citizens with much high-handed ness, that led to mass migration and it has helped shapen other groups which seem to be somehow different from the major stock hence your observation.

There is some observation that the Original inhabit of Esan land were not Edo people, people are suggesting and thinking they were Igbos, the tying of two wrappers, the Igabonelimin dance and the namings of quarters suggest strongly that they were Igbos but the mass migration from Edo seem to have changed the linguistic fortune of the Esan people to an Edo dialect.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Emperordynasty: 9:21am On Oct 21, 2022
UGBE634:
My brother Umuazee you are right, what Ondo and Ekiti is today is the diffusion of Edo in yoruba. Ondo and Ekiti was like the home away for Edo. Infact towns like Akure, Igbara-oke,Owo housed noticeable number of Edo citizens that the term Ekue emerged. Ekue is the coming together of Eastern yoruba and Edo, it ranges from being bilingual as a town to being from both sides of the divide ancestrally.

Pre 1914, there were many Binis with eastern yourba mothers with knowledge of their Igiogbe in Benin. Infact after the fall of Benin empire, in 1933, Oba Akenzua appealed to all Edos in Eastern yoruba land and western Igboland to come back home, join hands and develop this Benin. Many came back home, many more were submerged.

I know of a man who died recently in Benin with the name Bello, my aunties husband at the age of 95. This man did not have any idea of the community they migrated from in Benin, But he said his father told him he is from Benin, he came back and claimed Ovia north east,learnt the language and he Identified as Benin until he died. On his burial paper, they did not indicate any community just the Lga.

I met another man of recent, whose surname is Uwoghiren, this man is from IRELE local government in Ondo state, He relocated to Benin of recent. He informed me that in his community that there is a part that speak Benin, and another part that speak yoruba, although the Bini will be with less intelligibility now, maybe 70-around 75 percent. This man Identifies as Bini and his family greets Lavbieze.

What I am trying to say in essense is this, there is no group in Nigeria whose leader precolonially treated her citizens with much high-handed ness, that led to mass migration and it has helped shapen other groups which seem to be somehow different from the major stock hence your observation.

There is some observation that the Original inhabit of Esan land were not Edo people, people are suggesting and thinking they were Igbos, the tying of two wrappers, the Igabonelimin dance and the namings of quarters suggest strongly that they were Igbos but the mass migration from Edo seem to have changed the linguistic fortune of the Esan people to an Edo dialect.
Hmm this last statement though

The Esan people are predominantly Edo migrants who have Edo heritage telling largely by our history and culture etc,
But I can not deny the similarities Esan have with the Igbos, particularly my town Uromi,where Igbos settled for years even before the civil war,
This years led to serious integration of Standard igbo behavior and even in look,
Their is a saying in my place that “the Igbos taught the Uromi people business”
Even in look I can say that 1/3rd of Uromi people are light skinned just like Igbos
It baffled me that Esan people are always mistaken for Igbo instead of Benin people..so you assertion that Esan land was inhabited by Igbos before the mass migration during the reign of Ewaure could be as well true

Coming from Benin into Esan land and out is a direct road into igbo land and as Esan stands in the middle it obviously shares cultures from both sides
Neverthelesss the Esan people are an offshoot of the great Benin Empire

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by UGBE634: 8:40pm On Oct 21, 2022
Emperordynasty:

Hmm this last statement though

The Esan people are predominantly Edo migrants who have Edo heritage telling largely by our history and culture etc,
But I can not deny the similarities Esan have with the Igbos, particularly my town Uromi,where Igbos settled for years even before the civil war,
This years led to serious integration of Standard igbo behavior and even in look,
Their is a saying in my place that “the Igbos taught the Uromi people business”
Even in look I can say that 1/3rd of Uromi people are light skinned just like Igbos
It baffled me that Esan people are always mistaken for Igbo instead of Benin people..so you assertion that Esan land was inhabited by Igbos before the mass migration during the reign of Ewaure could be as well true

Coming from Benin into Esan land and out is a direct road into igbo land and as Esan stands in the middle it obviously shares cultures from both sides
Neverthelesss the Esan people are an offshoot of the great Benin Empire
The white or kpotoki behavior in Esan land may not be due to the intermixing with Igbo people. The white- portuguese was in Uromi and other Esan towns for long. Infact the first Enogie of Uromi was Onojie Agba. Onojie Agba was said to be mixed breed between Oba Ewuare and a portuguese woman.

Even though he was the first son, he was rejected because he turned out pale in complexion. I have seen pure kpotoki structure and behavior in Esan people. And this certainly is as a result of intermingling with the portuguese precolonially.My grandmum was one, from Edenu-irrua.

There is a house in Benin, should be along Ibiwe, the patriarch in that house was a portuguese, they are maternally related to Benin. Benin had such relationship with portuguese, but that of Esan was much more.

if it is because the stool of Uromi is maternally Portuguese, that's why the portuguese were comfortable to settle in and around Uromi and mingle with the Esan locals, we can't tell but the relationship with them precolonially in terms of procreation seem to be more than any
other group in Nigeria.

We know where the complexion and all came from in Esanland. What I was hinging at when I talked about relationship with the Igbo was more on the customs, the Igbos are essentially black people too, the kpotoki feature you can find among them too is still as a result of the whites messing around with these groups precolonially.

I read an excerpt sometime ago about women tying two wrappers in Igboland. And the Igabonelimin dancers which seem to look like Obodo dancers somewhere in Igboland, and the fact you can't find it anywhere in Other Edoid areas. Then the naming of quarters, I have been to Ewohimi, I saw how quarters are named-Idumagbor, Idumasaba, etc relating to Igboid areas and I don't think these are recent namings. Ewohimi as a town is one of the oldest in Esanland if not the oldest.

What happened to my last statement, the Esan language is not a full language, it is a dialect of Benin or Edo linguistically. Like we say in Benin ,Edo na ma ze se ore Esan. Edo not spoken well is Esan. Bini, Oza, Esan are essentially dialect of the same language, I already thought about it before I came across this document.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Emperordynasty: 9:03pm On Oct 21, 2022
UGBE634:
The white or kpotoki behavior in Esan land may not be due to the intermixing with Igbo people. The white- portuguese was in Uromi and other Esan towns for long. Infact the first Enogie of Uromi was Onojie Agba. Onojie Agba was said to be mixed breed between Oba Ewuare and a portuguese woman.

Even though he was the first son, he was rejected because he turned out pale in complexion. I have seen pure kpotoki structure and behavior in Esan people. And this certainly is as a result of intermingling with the portuguese precolonially.My grandmum was one, from Edenu-irrua.

There is a house in Benin, should be along Ibiwe, the patriarch in that house was a portuguese, they are maternally related to Benin. Benin had such relationship with portuguese, but that of Esan was much more.

if it is because the stool of Uromi is maternally Portuguese, that's why the portuguese were comfortable to settle in and around Uromi and mingle with the Esan locals, we can't tell but the relationship with them precolonially in terms of procreation seem to be more than any
other group in Nigeria.

We know where the complexion and all came from in Esanland. What I was hinging at when I talked about relationship with the Igbo was more on the customs, the Igbos are essentially black people too, the kpotoki feature you can find among them too is still as a result of the whites messing around with these groups precolonially.

I read an excerpt sometime ago about women tying two wrappers in Igboland. And the Igabonelimin dancers which seem to look like Obodo dancers somewhere in Igboland, and the fact you can't find it anywhere in Other Edoid areas. Then the naming of quarters, I have been to Ewohimi, I saw how quarters are named-Idumagbor, Idumasaba, etc relating to Igboid areas and I don't think these are recent namings. Ewohimi as a town is one of the oldest in Esanland if not the oldest.

What happened to my last statement, the Esan language is not a full language, it is a dialect of Benin or Edo linguistically. Like we say in Benin ,Edo na ma ze se ore Esan. Edo not spoken well is Esan. Bini, Oza, Esan are essentially dialect of the same language group, I already thought about it before I came across this document.
Thanks for the insight, I really learnt a lot being an Esan myself
But let me make few corrections to a part of your write up
The first king of surimi was Actually Ichesan he was the half breed from a Portuguese mother who Ewaure had to send out of Benin due to him being Biracial, Agba was actually the 2nd king of Uromi and son of Ichesan he was the one who fought the Uzea war with Ozuloa the Oba of Benin in the 15th century

1 Like

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Bigsunny01(m): 9:06pm On Oct 21, 2022
Emmy1234567890:
Mr,

I appreciate the fact that your write-up speak well of the Ondos. Sir, I advice you don't mislead the chair and the hourable house with your little knowledge about the origin of ondos. I am proudly Ondo man and I can trace my origin back to ile-ife (Yoruba).

The Benin was originated from the ile-ife (Yoruba). Benin was among the grand child of oodua. So what are you say?

Who be dis jjc wey no knw where em grand parent came from?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Ologbo147: 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2022
UMUAZEE:

So you believe Oduduwa trekked down from the middle east??
He leg for peel before he reach Ife

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by AutomaticMotors: 9:43pm On Dec 04, 2022
Ologbo147:
He leg for peel before he reach Ife
grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America / Traditional Ika Names / Benin Bronze Mask

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.