Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) (32600 Views)

Female Soldier Buried In Camouflage After Her Tragic Death In Port-Harcourt.PICS / Wike Leads The Arrest Of 15 Mechanics In Rivers Over Black Soot. PICS / Navy Burns Illegal Bunkering Site In Port Harcourt As Black Soot Takes Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by TRACK: 10:49am On Feb 09, 2017
I live in PHC and I can tell u that it is a serious pollution. Govt has not done anything about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Fadamant: 10:56am On Feb 09, 2017
EmilyShoton:
carbon IV trioxymercury oxalate aka black soot. It intoxicate humans slowly and affects the brain fluid by liquifying the brain in few years to come. Advice, get your stuffs and get out of there asap. cheesy

Liquifying the brain? Hmmmm. I have thought of leaving the city, but how about our jobs? Move to where? Trans Amadi, Woji and all the neighbourhoods around them are saturated with these soots. God help us.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by hannyjay(f): 11:05am On Feb 09, 2017
Where ar dos dat were jubilating when ever avengers blow pipeline. I guess u can now go and do thanksgiven because dis is as a result of illegal refinaries and activites of avengers. Never throw stone in a market because ur mother may b d victim
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by emmanuelpopson(m): 11:05am On Feb 09, 2017
The word "soot" sounds so simple and harmless. To some, it conjures up images of campfires and candles.
Soot includes the fine black particles, chiefly composed of carbon, produced by incomplete combustion of coal, oil, wood, or other fuels. Soot can consist of acids, chemicals, metals, soils, and dust. The common trait of soot particles is that they are extremely tiny – 2.5 micrometers or smaller in diameter. This is smaller than dust and mold, and is about 1/30 the diameter of a human hair.
This combination – extremely small size and toxic composition – is what makes soot so dangerous. It can travel deep into the lung, where the compounds it consists of can do some serious damage.
Sources
Soot is the byproduct of the burning of fossil fuels. This includes burning coal for electricity or industrial fuel, manufacturing, oil refining, and motor vehicles.
Soot enters the environment either as a solid particle or as a gas which turns into a particle after it has been released. These particles can end up very far away from their site of origin.
Soot can also become a problem following a fire. A common house fire results in the burning of a wide variety of materials, from wood and paper to plastics and other synthetic items. This results in soot contamination, and poses a serious cleanup problem.
Risks - Health & Environment
Compounds from soot - sulfur dioxides and nitrogen oxides - combine with moisture to form acid rain, which worsens water quality, damages soil and crops, and changes nutrient balances in various ecosystems.
Breathing the tiny particles can cause coronary heart disease, asthma, bronchitis, and many other respiratory illnesses.
Research has also shown that many premature deaths are directly related to soot in the environment. Particle exposure leads to around 20,000 premature deaths in America each year. Many of these deaths were caused by soot-related diseases. Data also show that soot annually causes almost 300,000 asthma attacks and 2 million lost workdays due to repiratory problems.

http://blog.cashins.com/blog-0/bid/191511/Industrial-Hygiene-What-is-Soot-and-Why-is-it-Dangerous
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 09, 2017
dat kind tin fit cause acid rain
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Authentic2000: 11:10am On Feb 09, 2017
And this state suppose to have a governor. They are only active and confrontational when dealing with political opposition.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by nonis: 11:16am On Feb 09, 2017
Is caused by gas flare
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Adminisher: 11:24am On Feb 09, 2017
KINGwax007:
my friend, those are from illegal refineries, gas don't produce dark fumes

When ND man see truth , him go pick race. If falsehood will take his life he will still follow it. These were the people who unashamedly wrote to the FG to permit local Refineries. This is one sad country

2 Likes

Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by monex(m): 11:42am On Feb 09, 2017
jpphilips:

Naa its illegal refineries.

not likely. The volume/concentration is too much.
there have been illegal refineries since time imo river
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by VANENON(f): 11:44am On Feb 09, 2017
Governor Wike, please come to our rescue as this is already a serious problem.
Asthma attacks, headaches, skin irritations, eye complaints, cough, cold, catarrh and sore throat has already increased significantly. This is the short term effect.

The impact on the health of children will be terrible within a few months and in the long run it will be disastrous. The risk of respiratory infections and cancer are extremely high. The effect on ones health is worst that smoking.

All the people within port-Harcourt are at risk. Please intervene urgently!!!

God bless Wike! God bless Rivers state!! and God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Codes151(m): 11:47am On Feb 09, 2017
Due to greed of the north! We have lost it! We are still slaves! All this oil companies have messed us up to no useful advantage! Every body wants the oil, oil blocs but no body tot about procedures n principles! God bless the ND!

Hope one day we will take Dubai as a case study! Mumu(s)
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by EmilyShoton(f): 11:55am On Feb 09, 2017
Fadamant:

Liquifying the brain? Hmmmm. I have thought of leaving the city, but how about our jobs? Move to where? Trans Amadi, Woji and all the neighbourhoods around them are saturated with these soots. God help us.
Dont mind my words, I have no clue what black soot does am an economist. But one thing I know is that you should leave that area as soon as possible. Too much intake of that might not be too good for your health in the future.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Neoguru3: 12:31pm On Feb 09, 2017
KINGwax007:
my friend, those are from illegal refineries, gas don't produce dark fumes
Have you seen where they flare gas at refinery in Eleme and oil fields at different parts of that state, it fire produces black soot, accumulation over the years is what we see now.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by DOnlooker(m): 12:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
This development is life threatening. Please anyone who knows how this could get to the governor and the responsible authorities should help the populace by pushing this to them. I doubt if they don't know about it though because this black soot is practically everywhere!
Port harcourt residents, don't let this one slip, this is about our health and that of our children.

2 Likes

Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Raziii(m): 12:41pm On Feb 09, 2017
hannyjay:
Where ar dos dat were jubilating when ever avengers blow pipeline. I guess u can now go and do thanksgiven because dis is as a result of illegal refinaries and activites of avengers. Never throw stone in a market because ur mother may b d victim
Nigerians! Why are we this way?

1 Like

Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by ysg4real(m): 12:45pm On Feb 09, 2017
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by sistar007(m): 1:01pm On Feb 09, 2017
he quality if fuel used in running those plants has reduced drastically
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Feb 09, 2017
felixomor:
Obviously some foolish people want to quickly blame illegal oil refineries as the cause.

Thats a fallacy.
Even the so called legal oil refineries and activities deplete the environment.

Developed countries know this and thats why everybody is moving to other sources of energy.
We have to start thinking of moving on from crude oil.

This structure where all other parts of the country are waiting for black gold from the south at the detriment of the environment cant continue forever.

Should we take it that the no of legal refineries have increased in the last one year? To the best of my knowledge refineries do not produce this type of dark smoke. I think you will have to consider other possibilities
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by ehissi(m): 1:23pm On Feb 09, 2017
Isn't this a Terrorist attack in disguise?

For all we know, Shekau is involved....... lipsrsealed
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by felixomor: 1:40pm On Feb 09, 2017
greenpasture:

Should we take it that the no of legal refineries have increased in the last one year? To the best of my knowledge refineries do not produce this type of dark smoke. I think you will have to consider other possibilities

Which knowledge please?
That refineries dont combust or what?
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by gofnor(m): 2:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
Nnemuka:
Again appearance of a black dust resembling a “black soot” on the surface of furnitures, cars, is becoming a thing to worry about here in Portharcourt.

From the Picture, you will think its about to rain but having a close look, you will realize that the sun is covered by the thick smoke coming from God knows where.
The substance covers cars, home furnitures, even when you try to wipe your nose you will notice this dark substance.

Pls oo you guys should help beg authorities to find lasting solutions to this black soot as people around are becoming scared.
Rivers state government pls do something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mNa5I6q9ng
its pdp black soot
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 09, 2017
felixomor:

Which knowledge please?
That refineries dont combust or what?

They do. But clearly the level of smog is unusual and considering that the PH refinery has been there for ages it leads one to wonder why
1. the more recent conditions have been attributed to it and
2. why these conditions are not replicated elsewhere in the country. I believe there is a refinery in kaduna of same age/ build
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Horus(m): 2:55pm On Feb 09, 2017
lefulefu:

so nigeria has scientist

Yes there are Nigerian scientists
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by JayJayGee: 3:16pm On Feb 09, 2017
True... I got black stuffs on my handkerchief when I wiped my nose....
I gat proof
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Fadamant: 4:04pm On Feb 09, 2017
EmilyShoton:
Dont mind my words, I have no clue what black soot does am an economist. But one thing I know is that you should leave that area as soon as possible. Too much intake of that might not be too good for your health in the future.

It doesn't matter that you are an economist, you said the truth. Even though, it might not liquify the brain, it would surely result in some kind of cancer in the long run if nothing is done about it urgently. The question is, how do we all leave the city? It's serious

1 Like

Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by felixomor: 4:10pm On Feb 09, 2017
greenpasture:

They do. But clearly the level of smog is unusual and considering that the PH refinery has been there for ages it leads one to wonder why
1. the more recent conditions have been attributed to it and
2. why these conditions are not replicated elsewhere in the country. I believe there is a refinery in kaduna of same age/ build

Machines wear and tear.
Even vehicles emit more as they grow old.

Coupled with our lack of maintenance culture, this shouldnt be a mystery at all.

Pollution occurs everywhere in the world where mining is done.
Nothing should puzzle anybody here.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by tohshine(m): 5:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
May the the last person that entered the hell forgot to shot the door grin grin grin
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by noona(f): 5:58pm On Feb 09, 2017
That's some nasty air pollution.. please get this surgical mask..my sister bought for her kids because the soot entered their nostrils..

Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Origin(f): 8:23pm On Feb 09, 2017
This is good. Gas flaring cant be stopped, court cant enforce, minister of oil cant enforce. Na all of us go die from this foolishness.

Gas flaring that is against the law globally cannot be stopped in Nigeria. Carry go, shebi you people have separate air you are breathing.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by Fadamant: 9:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
Origin:
This is good. Gas flaring cant be stopped, court cant enforce, minister of oil cant enforce. Na all of us go die from this foolishness.

Gas flaring that is against the law globally cannot be stopped in Nigeria. Carry go, shebi you people have separate air you are breathing.

Funny, @Origin. I said it before that the only thing that will make the government act on this is the fact that they and their relatives breath the same air with the rest of the poeple.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by datizy(f): 9:51pm On Feb 09, 2017
Its so sad that the Rivers state government has not said anything about it. Only God will protect us. I dare not carry bare foot even on tiled floors, if not I won't recognize my feet again. Someone cannot comfortably wear white clothes again. You go just dirty anyhow. Its very sad and annoying.
Re: Black Soot Pollutes The Environment In Port Harcourt (PICS) by tushbobo(m): 9:58pm On Feb 09, 2017
I am actually scared to breath now because it has gotten worse. I just noticed the floor gets dirty fast these past few weeks until my colleagues brought the stuff to my notice today.
I hear this is as dangerous as first hand smoking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abdulkabir Adekunle Akinlade: Amosun’s Preferred Ogun APC Governorship Candidate / DSTV Giving Channel 419 To NTA Is Not A Coincidence - Reno Omokri (Photo) / Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.