Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,868 members, 7,813,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1982502 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 7:59am On Oct 06, 2017
czaratwork:
I just got a mail that my file for CPA conversion is being transferred to Ontario. I hope the process will not be delayed by this transfer. They had already notified me that i will be admitted in November this year.

I notified them last Friday that i have landed and am resident in Ontario as advised by CPA BC (the province handling the conversion for applicants living outside Canada).

how can I reach you please,I have ICAN and will love to get CPA to ease job search,I want to know how you went about your CPA...Olusegunoduyoye@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:13am On Oct 06, 2017
Ehrnie, I don land since 19gbogboro. Ideally you should have landed before starting the process as you are not a PR until you have landed. I am not sure if they confirm if you are a PR during the process. However, if you have got your PPR and you plan to land soon, there is nothing stopping you from starting the process.
Ehrnie:

That's so not true. Dupyshoo (as she stated) has completed her APEGA licensure...and she hasn't landed. I am in the assessment queue and I have not landed...so, I'm not sure what your friend means.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tspice2015(f): 8:14am On Oct 06, 2017
czaratwork:
I just got a mail that my file for CPA conversion is being transferred to Ontario. I hope the process will not be delayed by this transfer. They had already notified me that i will be admitted in November this year.

I notified them last Friday that i have landed and am resident in Ontario as advised by CPA BC (the province handling the conversion for applicants living outside Canada).

Hi, please how did you go about the conversion to CPA as I noticed each province has its own CPA, & it's not cast in stone where I'll initially land. I have ACCA, I don't want a situation I convert in a particular province and start the whole process all over again with another province. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rkly1: 8:14am On Oct 06, 2017
Rkly1:

Hi dear,
Many many thanks... Been on high expectations mode

And my expectations were not cut short!!!
Many Thanks to Yukos.... You are an Angel. May God bless you. I love and appreciate you. Thanks Once Again.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:14am On Oct 06, 2017
Uglyduckling:

The thing you guys forget is that this thread is for everybody. I know at least 10 doctor friends that are silently on this thread. A very very large percentage of doctors who migrate to Canada will never practice medicine again. The UK on the other hand, you get a job even before completing your licensing registration because they are acutely short of doctors. A lot of them still choose to immigrate to Canada as PR because of the uncertainty surrounding immigration in the UK.
In my opinion, Dr. should not limit their path to Canada alone especially if they have a PR. One of my very close friend back from uni was skeptical about applying for Canadian PR cos of what she heard about how difficult it was to break into her professsion in Canada. She is currently a phd student in the US. She completed the licensing exams for the US while she was a student (i.e msc plus currently undergoing phd) but couldn't get a residency.

I was eventually able to convince her to apply for PR since she wasnt sure of what the future holds for her in the US by the time she completes her studies. She eventually got the PR, but never stayed for more than 4weeks in Canada due to her phd program. After she got her PR, she started reapplying for intern jobs in the US now as a Canadian PR holder and has now landed an residency position in an hospital. She said the hospital would be sponsoring her green card. Once she gets the GC, i guess its bye bye to Canada despite the fact that she got the job cos of her PR status in Canada.

Moral of the story. Having a Canadian PR or passport might make it easy for them to get a job as a dr. in another developed country. There are lots of Canadian doctors (Canada trained and Caribbean trained) and nurses practicing in the US.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:15am On Oct 06, 2017
Don't tell me you be OAU person. I comment my reserve on top of dat mata.
As I just said above, you can start immediately after COPR if you have plans to land soon.

Oyamade:
@blackbuddie you are just a superstar!!!
Can you kindly bold your contributions in posts you respond to, pls. I dont want to miss out any of your detailed responses... pls indulge me grin

@dupyshoo GREATEST GBA GBA!!! Awon ti Oba University *thumbs up*, so I am asking you and @ehrnie, I got from a friend that you can't register or proceed much wt APEGA registration until you land, is this true or there are ways to go about it?
Kindly clarify. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:23am On Oct 06, 2017
You are right about the MSc but I did not put my work experience when I registered. I did that because, they will still give me EIT whether I get 50 year work experience or not.
However, I compared my course modules during my undergrad with the courses required for an Electrical and Electronics Engineer in Canada and I saw that I did more than was required. So, I knew I was good to go.

I also read on their website then that if they gave someone from your Uni with the same course EIT without requiring exams, it means they are happy with the course modules being taught for the course in your school.

salford1:

You likely have an Msc or MEng from a UK university pmus plenty years of experience. That's one of the reason I said circumstances are different. Although it is also possible to get an EIT straight even with a naija degree. Some unis belong to Washington accord or something like that while others are not.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tspice2015(f): 8:23am On Oct 06, 2017
Canadianfly:

No wahala.

Finally! Glad to come and read Canadian things.....no more comparison grin

Please I'm also interested in the excel sheet for the routine. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:25am On Oct 06, 2017
dupyshoo:
You are right about the MSc but I did not put my work experience when I registered. I did that because, they will still give me EIT whether I get 50 year work experience or not.
However, I compared my course modules during my undergrad with the courses required for an Electrical and Electronics Engineer in Canada and I saw that I did more than was required. So, I knew I was good to go.

I also read on their website then that if they gave someone from your Uni with the same course EIT without requiring exams, it means they are happy with the course modules being taught for the course in your school.

Nice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:33am On Oct 06, 2017
I don talk my own and I don leave the matter. Please stop trying to convince them as there is no use.

The truth is that I completed the PR processes successfully even before this thread came into existence. If I don't post on this thread or read the info, I will still get all the information I require as digging out for information, wherever it is, is one of my strengths. That is why I will not use my energy on making nasty comments when the thread is not my property.

Uglyduckling:

The thing you guys forget is that this thread is for everybody. I know at least 10 doctor friends that are silently on this thread. A very very large percentage of doctors who migrate to Canada will never practice medicine again. The UK on the other hand, you get a job even before completing your licensing registration because they are acutely short of doctors. A lot of them still choose to immigrate to Canada as PR because of the uncertainty surrounding immigration in the UK. So the comparison talk may seem mundane to you, but it may help another person to take that life decision of knowing he or she will benefit in the long run from migrating to Canada despite not doing what they love ever again. Or they may realize the supposed benefits are not enough to sacrifice the years of medical school for.
This thread is big enough for everybody. If the post does not apply to you by all means skip it. Of course you don’t see people complaining about the engineers posting their licensing information, or the doctors travails as seen a few pages back even if it does not apply to them. They simply skip those posts and move on the ones that are important to them.
Like I said previously the moderators reserve the right to hide any pos that is not in line with the thread.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 8:35am On Oct 06, 2017
salford1:

Nice.

Please I am interested in the canadian Oil and Gas industry. What would be the best way to go about this? certifications or pursue a masters degree? all I have is B.Eng Civil Engr and all my experience is in Civil Engr alone. I know the industry has multidisciplinary areas that civil engr is relevant to, like offshore structures and pipeline engineering, but my focus is whatever area would give me the best foot in.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:38am On Oct 06, 2017
Canadianfly:

@ salford1 na the passenger wey dey in front of you you snap? Lol. Creepy things grin

Lol. We both boarded last and also got seats beside each other.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:26am On Oct 06, 2017
dupyshoo:

Thanks for the info! So what happens if your work experience is different from your degree? I know that the APEGA registration allows one to pick "Application Discipline". In this case, I chose the discipline closely related to my work experience (& not my degree). Is this the right thing to do...? Is APEGA interested in degree obtained or experience acquired...or both?

Just to clarify that both work experience are degrees are in Engineering - just different fields.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:29am On Oct 06, 2017
debbiejosh:

I landed in February 2016, and this is what I did.

I opened accounts with RBC using my host's address, and I got a void cheque as proof of address.

I got my phone later in the day, and I didn't require proof of address, I didn't have a credit card, so paid 150$extra(which I got back after six months), and rolled it to my credit.

I registered for my Alberta health card the next day with my void cheque, as proof of address (can't remember vividly), I wasn't questioned further, and moved on.

I don't know if processes have changed, but this was what I did in Calgary, February 2016.

Many thanks for the info! All points noted.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Demo213: 9:31am On Oct 06, 2017
Mostly Books, some clothes and a few other personal stuffs. Should be around 2bags weighing about 60KG. Any link?

Ajujuju2:

Bross abeg no vex. What items r you cargoing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:34am On Oct 06, 2017
dupyshoo:
Ehrnie, I don land since 19gbogboro. Ideally you should have landed before starting the process as you are not a PR until you have landed. I am not sure if they confirm if you are a PR during the process. However, if you have got your PPR and you plan to land soon, there is nothing stopping you from starting the process.

No mind me sister...thought you hadn't landed, lol.

I'm landing soon, so I guess I'm still on track. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 9:37am On Oct 06, 2017
You should have chosen the discipline related to your degree as you are applying for EIT.

For PEng, ideally, your work experience should be related to your degree. If not, you MIGHT be asked for more than 4-year work experience if your discipline and work experience are still under Engineering.

Check the link below (bottom of the page) for more info.
https://www.apega.ca/apply/work-experience/geoscientists/experience-types/

Ehrnie:

Thanks for the info! So what happens if your work experience is different from your degree? I know that the APEGA registration allows one to pick "Application Discipline". In this case, I chose the discipline closely related to my work experience (& not my degree). Is this the right thing to do...? Is APEGA interested in degree obtained or experience acquired...or both?

Just to clarify that both work experience are degrees are in Engineering - just different fields.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:39am On Oct 06, 2017
dupyshoo:
You should have chosen the discipline related to your degree as you are applying for EIT.

For PEng, ideally, your work experience should be related to your degree. If not, you MIGHT be asked for more than 4-year work experience if your discipline and work experience are still under Engineering.

Check the link below (bottom of the page) for more info.
https://www.apega.ca/apply/work-experience/geoscientists/experience-types/

Lol - I did actually, then thought I made a mistake and then sent them an email to change the discipline. Will call or send them an email again to revert. They must think I am going nuts, lol. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 9:43am On Oct 06, 2017
Before you tell them to change it again, talk to your application coordinator to know what he/she feels about it. You might get a better advice from the person.

For those asking about the stages, find below the section culled from the email I received from my application coordinator then:

Review and Decision
Once all requirements are complete, your application will be sent for a multi-stage Review, which will include: an internal review, academic review, experience review, and the final review by the Board of Examiners. The Board’s final decision will be mailed the following month after the meeting. It is not communicated in-person, by email or phone. Should you have questions or concerns relating to the review process, please send an email to admissions@apega.ca .

Ehrnie:

Lol - I did actually, then thought I made a mistake and then sent them an email to change the discipline. Will call or send them an email again to revert. They must think I am going nuts, lol. Thanks for clarifying.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:47am On Oct 06, 2017
dupyshoo:
Before you tell them to change it again, talk to your application coordinator to know what he/she feels about it. You might get a better advice from the person.

Oh okay...I haven't been assigned one yet but will do once I get one. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 10:00am On Oct 06, 2017
@salford thanks
@dupysho lmao @" i comment my reserve"
@ehrnie i started the APEGA registration after seeing you and dupysho's comment. I was only asked my PR status, infact, i put my Nigerian address, and went on till the payment section, na there i press pause, because this their non refund policy is scary, hope to change it to a Canadian addy later, will complete registration wn i get COPr...

For now, LVO is testing my patience, the wait is frustrating already....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:13am On Oct 06, 2017
Tspice2015:

Please I'm also interested in the excel sheet for the routine. Thanks

I should start charging grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Demo213: 10:25am On Oct 06, 2017
Spot on!

Canadianfly:
This argument on UK vs. Canada is becoming redundant. I don't know why folks who live in the UK will have mouth to compare it with standard of living in Canada. If una like UK why don't y'all stay there. grin
I lived in the UK for quite a while before moving to Canada and I can say for free that the standard of living in Canada is better than ANY part of the U.K. I've lived in Scotland and England, so I can't really say for Northern Ireland grin. But all this comparison is played out. Whether rent and bus pass is cheaper doesn't count. It's like comparing living in Nigeria with Ivory Coast lol. We all know your average UK person is STINGY and counts every penny before they spend it. £20 is like $100 to a UK person. In fact I remember my single days, dating in the UK...guys will spend £20 on Nandos dinner for you and will be acting like they put your entire family on payroll. Not until I moved to North America, first date with my husband.....Oga's spent $300 on fine dining and was still asking me if I want to go see a movie, I knew that levels had changed grin.....All these 2 bedrooms in W Midlands for £300-400 cannot be compared, quality of life is definitely better in Canada. How many people have cars in the UK? The ones that do, drive the Vauxhall like it's a beemer LOL. Class system!
And the menial jobs you get in Canada is faaaar better than menial jobs in UK. One thing is there's dignity in labor in Canada and one can live a very good quality of life and still have the luxury of little trips in summer. UK folks are stuck in a class system, so Gold help you you work in McDonalds in the UK....you have failed in life! Even when I was about to enter undergrad in the UK, my A levels school had Universties that were on a black list. Basically you can't apply to those "low class unis" if you want to graduate from the A level school. We had to look at The Times 100 to select schools in the top 30, all because of class system.
Canada is different, no one cares what school you attend, all they care about is are you certified? Please let's quit derailing the thread with the comparisons. If you love the UK, stay there and don't compare and contrast with Canada. Or open UK Advantages thread undecided

*end of rant*....*runs away* grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Happylassy: 10:35am On Oct 06, 2017
Ehrnie:

Thanks sis...I really do hope I don't need a PoA for the phone purchase.

Any one is the house that can help clarify this...? Thanks

We bought a line at the airport, one month rolling contract no proof of address needed. I guess if you are ging for the 2 years contract with a physical phone included you will need a bank account where the debit can come out from.
The bank accepts temp POA, like our airbnb booking was used. We told our host that we would be expecting some post (debit cards). When we get a proper apartment lease we go back to the bank and phone company to change.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:35am On Oct 06, 2017
salford1:

.All cities have social programs. Being on such programs won't stop you from inviting/sponsoring relatives or friends.

It all depends...Regina has its own advantage while calgary has it's own too. Overall, i would say regina is cheaper than calgary, but i personally prefer calgary. It's a beautiful city.

Some few examples: my current phone plan is $90 per month (Alberta). Same provider offers my contract for only $60/month in Sask and even offers 2 or 3gb more than my monthly allowance to Sask resident customers.

Vehicle reg in sask is only $30 or thereabout per year. Car insurance is one of the cheapest in the country too because of government owned registration and insurance company. It's around $100 for car reg calgary.

Electricity in Alberta used to be much cheaper until recently. The NDP in alberta are shutting coal plants due to Canadas commitment to the Paris accord, but electricity is still cheaper in Alberta (say about $15 to $20) per month for similar usage. It's all about choice.

I really don't know why I'm not in love with Alberta generally as most people are. I feel like the cost of living is rising because of the influx, schools for the kids too. And I read someone on here say their friend pays up to $18000 a year in Alberta for their kid's school. Even though the general belief is that if you're an engineer, head to AB. However, I'm leaning more towards ON, MB then SK. Maybe cause I have more family and friends there than any of the other provinces.
$90 per month for cell phone is higggh! shocked How much is your Shaw? Or the equivalent? In your opinion, what are the important things you would advise one to take into account when settling? I really don't care about living in a city with Nigerians or social/night life so lets leave that out. We could always do road trips if we get bored. Important life issues like work, cost of housing, schools, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 12:23pm On Oct 06, 2017
I just realised that I did not share that I have received my COPR letter ie PPR. It took 6 months, I submitted a month after I started this thread.

Thank God for me o!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2017
Anytime sis.
Rkly1:

And my expectations were not cut short!!!
Many Thanks to Yukos.... You are an Angel. May God bless you. I love and appreciate you. Thanks Once Again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by follyzee: 1:13pm On Oct 06, 2017
Hi czaratwork

Congrats on your progress so far.

I am your big fan, always looking forward to your post regarding ur settling down, acca conversion and job hunt. thanks 4 d well detailed updates. Please keep it coming.

@ Salford and blackbuddy, tanx a lot for your analyses, responses and encouragement. This thread has really helped me in making informed decisions.

@All,please lets be tolerant of one another, we all come from different background hence, different views to life.

I am really grateful to God 4 this thread
Thanks a lot all for your contributions

czaratwork:
I went to access employment at mississauga today to sign up for a bridging program and was told to come back on Tuesday for a meeting and scheduling of the bridging program.

later this evening i watched CEC video on financial sector job hunting powered by manpower.ca. They are the next recruiting agency i will visit. They encouraged us visiting the agencies and dropping our resumes with them and calling them up at least weekly to find out if there is any new thing.

I couldnt attend the toronto job fair today. Did anyone go? Kindly update if you did.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bigmove: 1:33pm On Oct 06, 2017
vcole:
@bigmove just to clarify, your husband would be applying for a student permit while you would apply for a spouse open work permit aka sowp and your child on a dependent visa right?
If this is the case then please go online as well as the Canada student visa thread on nairaland to ensure that you have as much info as you could possibly have to ensure that you turn in a visa application that is devoid of errors and stands a good chance of getting approved.

Thank you for your response.... I do appreciate.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 1:50pm On Oct 06, 2017
ACCA. I started the process when i was in naija. It is CPA BC that handles it if you are processing it outside Canny then you are expected to notify them when you land so that they can transfer your file to your province.
XX01:
@Czaratwork, is it ACCA or ICAN you have? From what I gather, you have to be registered in the province you live which might be why they sent it to Ontario.

@freeradical, have you landed yet? What's your experience?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
fabdee:
Are you moving to Alberta or already in Alberta and would like to be part of a whatsapp group specifically for peeps in Alberta? Kindly PM your whatsapp number to be added. Thank you.

Congratulations fabdee on your PPR after long wait. Are you landed already?

I will like to be part of this whatsapp group oo. I am also considering alberta but still waiting for ppr, 3 months gone!

I sent you a PM, kindly reply back so that I can give my whatsapp number. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2017
I dont know much about ICAN, I only know they will waive some exams for you with ICAN. If you have landed,
you need to make enquiries through the CPA in your province. If not it is the CPA BC that handles the conversion (ACCA for sure).
hayor2014:

how can I reach you please,I have ICAN and will love to get CPA to ease job search,I want to know how you went about your CPA...Olusegunoduyoye@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.