Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1989665 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 06, 2017
einsteino:

Placed a call to APEGA, they said one can apply irrespective of citizenship, residence or not having a pr status. so you are good to go.

Thanks for this info einsteino. Good to know this.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:16pm On Oct 06, 2017
hayor2014:

I understand that CPA, makes you a hot item in the labour market for accountants in Canada, how true is this ? ..
Am thinking of just writing ACCA, as no one is able to provide me any information using ICAN for the conversion.
Did you write any exam again after ACCA in this conversion to CPA process or you just paid some kind of fee ?
thanks for the response..
please send to my yahoo mail.....PM on nairaland does not work for me

Do some more research before you start ACCA. From my research on Ontario CPA, you need to have started from the scratch with ACCA else you can't use conversion route. You can as well write the CPA directly. With ICAN, you might get some exemptions and attempt the CFE. There is a webinar for CPA Ontario coming up later this month. I will share the link once I find it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 7:53pm On Oct 06, 2017
Yooku:

Lool...by the way what happened to your personal auditor who was on vacay in Naija away from the hubby? grin grin grin

Sister JoJo grin I think holiday is over jare. But Canadian fly too sha...
I mean people sign up just to reply her LMAO that tripped me the most.
She might have to talk to Seun directly as per the crowd she's bringing to the thread.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 8:00pm On Oct 06, 2017

20 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 8:23pm On Oct 06, 2017
salford1:

The 18k is likely for money spent on daycare/dayhome in a year. A friend of mine spent close to that for 2kids. She got around 3k back just on child care after filing her tax return though.

The cellphone plan is not high. That is virgin mobile which is the next cheap network with good coverage after the likes of fido, koodo and freedom. If you want to know what high rates are, try bell, rogers or telus, the last 3 have no joy at all...lol

Shaw internet/TV plan is $145 per month on a 2 year contract. Would drop the tv to the limited package of $25 plus $80 internet package when my current contract contract ends since we hardly watch tv, and we are also trying to limit the kids exposure to television.

Canada is very diverse such that important things like work, cost of housing, schools e.t.c varies across towns, cities and provinces. It's not easy to give a one size fits all answer..

Before landing, I read through josh's story posted by yokus a few pages back. His template on mistakes to avoid when just arrived worked well for my family.

Yea well bell, Rogers and Telus are for rich people lol. I was on Fido for about $45 and I had long distance call to U.S for an additional $5. I hope they still have good plans like this. Your shaw bill no be joke oh. Tv for me then was 10 bucks. But this is in Winnipeg. So what I'm seeing is that Alberta is quite expensive oh. Electricity too in Winnipeg was dead cheap because of the dam. But my issue with the city is there are not much jobs.
I'll still stick with my Ottawa, and GTA as that's where I'm seeing jobs in my field and hubby's too.
Read the josh story too, good read.

@vocle, you brought down my fears with that $9600. Cause $18K scared me oh lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 8:25pm On Oct 06, 2017
bbaby84:

Sister JoJo grin I think holiday is over jare. But Canadian fly too sha...
I mean people sign up just to reply her LMAO that tripped me the most.
She might have to talk to Seun directly as per the crowd she's bringing to the thread.

For real I should get some dough for the crowd lol

Lmao @ Yooku. You are wahala oh. Please I hope she never interacts with me again. She's like a dog with a bone.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tosean(m): 8:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
salford1:

Calgary:
Pros. warmer weather, larger Nigerian community, more multicultural, stampede, close to banff, real international airport, very good transport system (ctrain), no pst, a little lower income tax, easy access to tranacanada highway, calgary zoo.

cons: lots of police and traffic cameras..very easy to get traffic tickets lol, crime rate has risen, schools are becoming overcrowded (the city is fast developing), longer wait times at hospital emergency ward,

Regina
Pro: less traffic, lot of government jobs, easy access to transcanada highway, less populated, easier to get jobs, cheaper housing, summer is warmer, car insurance is cheaper (government owned), phone bills and internet are cheaper(government owned). People are friendlier.

cons: Winter is colder, nightlife is poor, not many places to shop, property taxes are high, 6% PST, beer is more expensive.lol

Thanks for this info
What about saskatoon, can u tell about the pros and cons of the city?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KMBA: 9:13pm On Oct 06, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:13pm On Oct 06, 2017
einsteino:

Thanks. pls what of outside CVE? I do not mind leaving my field, if it would give me better prospects in the industry.

sorry for my too much questions.
CVE is still the engineering profession with most job opening. I don't know of any other engineering profession that is more marketabke tha mn civil in Canada. There are always openings for construction managers, surveyors, dam engineers, transort engineers and geotechnical. Geotechnical being the most paying specialty.
If i was to study engineering all over again, i would go the civil route. Even in Nigeria, you would rarely find an unemployed civil engineer...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 9:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

No vex o, to get copr took 6 months after passport submission? shocked shocked abi na me no understand English well, plix explain well.

Btw, thank God for u o smiley

I guess I should have said PPR. COPR is the letter. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have been waiting for the passport request. At a point I thought I got the email and deleted it unknowingly. But God have me the grace to be patient. And it came.

I have a question though. The letter stated that the validity of the visa is dependent on the expiration of my medicals or passport which ever come first. My question is, does this mean that I must travel, and won’t be able to renew/repeat the medicals? Or this option no longer applies?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:01pm On Oct 06, 2017
vcole:

That $18k is probably for people with kids going to private school in Aspen smiley smiley
Daycare for both my kids in a year would be $9600 (infant and toddler both full day progs).
I was on virgin but it was becoming an abusive relationship. I'm on freedom mobile and I pay $40/month. With a new cellphone which I got recently it's an additional $35 so $75/month now.
I use Shaw and internet and cable for now I pay $90/mth for the first 1yr on a 2yr contract.
In a nutshell it's all about what works for you. I read josh's story too like 1yr and a half ago and it did make a lotta sense.
Abusive relationship ... did you go over your minute or data? . lol
That wind abi na freedom eh. Though they are very generous with minutes and data, but once you are outside the city limit, it would just start to roam. I moved from freedom to virgin, but wife still sticks to freedom since she is always in Calgary.
$9600 is very very good for 2 kids attending fulltime day care....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:13pm On Oct 06, 2017
Canadianfly:

Yea well bell, Rogers and Telus are for rich people lol. I was on Fido for about $45 and I had long distance call to U.S for an additional $5. I hope they still have good plans like this. Your shaw bill no be joke oh. Tv for me then was 10 bucks. But this is in Winnipeg. So what I'm seeing is that Alberta is quite expensive oh. Electricity too in Winnipeg was dead cheap because of the dam. But my issue with the city is there are not much jobs.
I'll still stick with my Ottawa, and GTA as that's where I'm seeing jobs in my field and hubby's too.
Read the josh story too, good read.

@vocle, you brought down my fears with that $9600. Cause $18K scared me oh lol
10 dollar tv package? maybe you were in Canada many moons ago or manitobans wont give in to the excesses of those bullies.. lol. The cheapest package i believe is now $25 then you have options to select themes like kids, documentary, news e.t.c The themes cost like just under $10 i think. Once i am done with my shaw contract. I would downgrade the tv plan and add a kids theme. That plus internet would work out to arround $100.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 10:29pm On Oct 06, 2017
Yooku:

Lool...by the way what happened to your personal auditor who was on vacay in Naija away from the hubby? grin grin grin
my chest... Buhahahahhah
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 10:32pm On Oct 06, 2017
This thread en.... Buhahahahhah

I remember someone who created a new account just to reply someone in disguise that it's a different person. But the gbagaun fetched her out.

I'm not saying that's d case here o..
But it's just funny buhahahahhah very funny something.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 11:27pm On Oct 06, 2017
Tosean:

Thanks for this info
What about saskatoon, can u tell about the pros and cons of the city?
Saskatoon is just like Regina, but i find it more beautiful than Regina. It's also just 5hrs away from edmonton. Has a moderate nigerian population just like regina, and there is an African shop in saskatoon know for selling cheaper than normal african foodstuffs. Lots of jobs in Saskatoon too. Sask generally has a good employment rate cos people won't move there cos of the cold and conservative people. This is one province where Nigerian students do very well after grad despite being on post study work permit.

18 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 12:37am On Oct 07, 2017
yokus:
Watching this Nigerian illegal border jumpers made me so Sad sha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArjX-gzi5o

OMG! ! !

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 12:39am On Oct 07, 2017
yimiton:
Soon that will become a thing in Nigeria embarassed. Plp will get American visas just so they can end up in Canada as illegal immigrants. God help us all cry.

Sounds like it is already a thing. Did you see the statistics?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 12:44am On Oct 07, 2017
Kindly advise.

I considered conducting my PhD research in Canada 2yrs ago and after going through the website of the top three unis in Canada, all of my queries were not exactly clarified. I then googled studying for a PhD in Canada, only to find that majority of the reviews advised potential candidates to 'run' while they still had the chance, as studying for a PhD in Canada was akin to committing research suicide. Some of the reasons they gave included the long time it takes to complete an average research degree (more than the stated period) and the most shocking was that the country itself does not value its own PhD; instead, it considered foreign PhDs from other 'developed' countries superior post-graduation. They claimed that it was only advisable for those from 'developing' countries who need the PR.

At the time of my findings 2yrs ago, I wasn't ready for the sacrifice that research required. Presently I am, and I have also started to look into this again. A few weeks ago, I contacted two Canadians by e-mail who had recently graduated from the University of Sussex and Oxford in the UK (the latter is of African descent), and they somewhat reiterated a similar stance to my earlier finding. Btw, University of Sussex is a top school in the ID sector globally. I also spoke to a mentor, who is European but currently works as a director in a popular international development agency in Canada. He also advised against this, although with subtlety and not directly.

The information on this thread about how Canadian education and work experience is fundamental to success in Canada is contrary to everything I have heard, examples of which are highlighted in my post. While I have not read a post on this thread about anyone in the international development sector, I'll appreciate it if those already in Canada could advise me on the general perception of Canadian PhD degrees in the country. Also, what is the international development sector in Canada like generally? My main research area is in the social sciences (Both First and Masters' degrees and I intend to continue in the same faculty), but I doubt that I want to work in academia. UN-type career or a research institute like the overseas development institute is more like what I intend to do post-study.

Thanks.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 12:45am On Oct 07, 2017
careerwoman:

This is very disheartening.. There is never a time Nigerians would not spoil someone's image.. I sincerely hope they are not all Nigerians though.. But why is the last woman blatantly lying?? She claimed she's Nigerian and that in Africa, children aren't allowed to go to school.. shocked Where in Nigeria are children forced into marriages without their parents consenting to it at least? Desperation at its peak! undecided I wish I never saw this video because it just dampened my spirit.. The only victims I see here are the children that have been dragged into this mess.. embarassed My heart goes to them.. P.S. I do hope the adults respect themselves and not become a nuisance in Canada..

Exactly!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 1:34am On Oct 07, 2017
hmmmmmm
yokus:
Watching this Nigerian illegal border jumpers made me so Sad sha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArjX-gzi5o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 2:28am On Oct 07, 2017
salford1:

Calgary:
Pros. warmer weather, larger Nigerian community, more multicultural, stampede, close to banff, real international airport, very good transport system (ctrain), no pst, a little lower income tax, easy access to tranacanada highway, calgary zoo.

cons: lots of police and traffic cameras..very easy to get traffic tickets lol, crime rate has risen, schools are becoming overcrowded (the city is fast developing), longer wait times at hospital emergency ward,

Regina
Pro: less traffic, lot of government jobs, easy access to transcanada highway, less populated, easier to get jobs, cheaper housing, summer is warmer, car insurance is cheaper (government owned), phone bills and internet are cheaper(government owned). People are friendlier

cons: Winter is colder, nightlife is poor, not many places to shop, property taxes are high, 6% PST, beer is more expensive.lol
Thanks boss! Seems I'm tilting more towards Regina. Probably to start with, then move as the job train directs. The cold though cry . Checked out the PST, seems Sask's rate is low as compared to other provinces with PST (i.e asides the ones with 0 PST like Alberta&Yukon).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:05am On Oct 07, 2017
Please for those of us here that have successfully upgraded their WES ECA to course by course, did WES ask you to send the documents again (certificate and transcripts) because that's what they show in my account although I am yet to make payment.

Also, was their the option of upgrading to ICAP(the one that store the transcripts for future purpose) instead of basic?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:00am On Oct 07, 2017
salford1:

10 dollar tv package? maybe you were in Canada many moons ago or manitobans wont give in to the excesses of those bullies.. lol. The cheapest package i believe is now $25 then you have options to select themes like kids, documentary, news e.t.c The themes cost like just under $10 i think. Once i am done with my shaw contract. I would downgrade the tv plan and add a kids theme. That plus internet would work out to arround $100.

Nah. I'm talking like 2014 price. It was a theme, and I got it cause my folks were visiting so I called Shaw and had the tv package added on to my internet for $10. Which I disconnected after they left lol. We pretty much watch everything on the Internet, even for the kids. Have you heard of FireTv? Anyway, we got one of those and use it sometimes here in Naija and that's the plan for tv when we move.

Your monthly internet bill is not for new immigrants oh. It's for Canadians grin

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 5:59am On Oct 07, 2017
XX01:

Do some more research before you start ACCA. From my research on Ontario CPA, you need to have started from the scratch with ACCA else you can't use conversion route. You can as well write the CPA directly. With ICAN, you might get some exemptions and attempt the CFE. There is a webinar for CPA Ontario coming up later this month. I will share the link once I find it.

Starting ACCA from the scratch,that will be terrible...
if only ICAN had concluded it's MRA with CPA,would have been awesome,I understand the two bodies are in talks from my research,kindly share the link,I honestly am looking for a way not to write exams again,it's tiring jawe....thanks for the tip

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 6:17am On Oct 07, 2017
cry embarassed
temydee1:

Hi, i also have ICAN and wont mind you sharing ....my email temilex@gmail.com

I have not found any concrete information for ICAN to CPA yet,am honestly looking for a way not to write any exam if possible,and still get the CPA. Right now, ICAN had direct affiliation with CIPFA UK though(no examination),and CIPFA gets you to CIMA,I think you will write 2 papers only to qualify,then you get CPA from CIMA ( there is MRA between CIMA and CPA).
see what laziness has turned me into,looking for shortcut,up and down..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Institute_of_Chartered_Accountants

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:20am On Oct 07, 2017
Oyamade:

Hmmm

@Vcole... Do you know you can determine the gender of a writer by the way they write? Probably you have been demonstrating masculinity in your style of writing. cool cool cool

How Markiiiit (In Anambra Accent)

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:31am On Oct 07, 2017
oohunt:

Exactly!!

I have met a couple who used this route and these folks are not a nuisance. They are just looking for better opportunities. No be everybody fit go the EE route. Some can never pass the IELTS or cannot even near WES. Some don even buy their own house, drive Benz 2017 - Husband and wife and living comfortably well.
Another (Ghanian) runs an African shop. The guy can market choi.... "If you cook my Iru" He owns his 2,000 sqm shop in Toronto fully paid. House checked. He is planning to open another store in Brampton. No be one way enter the market. And since the country is passionate and accommodating to all... They cannot try this with Mama Charlie country, they will throw you back to the wolves and sharks.
This route is for the lion-wolf-iwin hearted. It is a 50 - 50 Chance. They are risking it all like a blackjack game.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:35am On Oct 07, 2017
@XX01, @tolurigs and @Demo213.
Please send me an email. Each time I try to respond to PM I keep getting the message below and I always just try once
Most times I respond on the GO.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address. <private-message@nairaland.com>:
550: 5.1.1 <private-message@nairaland.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table.
--- Below this line is a copy of the message.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 7:22am On Oct 07, 2017
mukhtar4u:
Please for those of us here that have successfully upgraded their WES ECA to course by course, did WES ask you to send the documents again (certificate and transcripts) because that's what they show in my account although I am yet to make payment.

Also, was their the option of upgrading to ICAP(the one that store the transcripts for future purpose) instead of basic?

Isn't course to course same as ICAP?

I think you may have to email them as regards the documents needed.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 07, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Isn't course to course same as ICAP?

I think you may have to email them as regards the documents needed.

Actually according to their website, they have the basic course by course and they have what they call ICAP... Basic doesn't store verified transcripts while ICAP does.

Those guys do not reply mails, just one auto generated response!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 7:54am On Oct 07, 2017
hayor2014:
cry embarassed

I have not found any concrete information for ICAN to CPA yet,am honestly looking for a way not to write any exam if possible,and still get the CPA
see what laziness has turned me into,looking for shortcut,up and down..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Institute_of_Chartered_Accountants

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.