Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (123) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984003 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Issyman(m): 5:13am On Oct 14, 2017
This may help any of our landed seniors.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 11:44am On Oct 14, 2017
Good morning Virtual Fam,

I am in the process of booking our flight and just noticed that flights leaving Nigeria to Toronto on Thursdays are cheaper than other days of the week. Is there a reason to be concerned? We're looking at leaving on Thursday, the 28th of December and landing on Friday, the 29th (Friday).

Is there a reason to be concerned?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Triv: 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2017
yimiton:
Good morning Virtual Fam,

I am in the process of booking our flight and just noticed that flights leaving Nigeria to Toronto on Thursdays are cheaper than other days of the week. Is there a reason to be concerned? We're looking at leaving on Thursday, the 28th of December and landing on Friday, the 29th (Friday).

Is there a reason to be concerned?
Not at all, some days are just cheaper than others. Go for it please!

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Shine1177: 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2017
vcole:
Welcome freeradical!

@teatop1234, you should note that the process of arriving Canada as a pr and as a student or a sowp holder are very different. I strongly advise that you and your family apply for your visas together. Husband for student permit, you for sowp and kids on dependent visas. You would get more info if you go on the Canada student visa thread.

Hi Vcole, the bold has been my line of consideration, I've been reading from page 0 and I've got load of information here. I will appreciate if you can throw more light on it. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 6:38pm On Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for your response Triv

Triv:

Not at all, some days are just cheaper than others. Go for it please!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Triv: 7:26pm On Oct 14, 2017
yimiton:
Thanks for your response Triv

You're welcome!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seunfoster: 8:01pm On Oct 14, 2017
Hello, can you pls pm me via email: mytimemystar@gmail.com. thanks.
honey86:

You can transfer you ICAN credit to CPA and complete the remaining courses to become a certified accountant. Do you have accounting experience?.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Morbolar: 8:17pm On Oct 14, 2017
Our landed seniors pls i have a kwesion. Pls if my maiden name is used on my PR card, when applying for citizenship, do i have the opportunity to change it to my married name, using my hubby's surname

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 8:35pm On Oct 14, 2017
Quick question - Our flight will be landing in Ottawa by 9:55pm. Hope the immigration people will still be around to sort out our landing and PR card processing ?
What time do they close for the day or are they always there no matter what time?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ladylco: 9:19pm On Oct 14, 2017
trishachi:
Quick question - Our flight will be landing in Ottawa by 9:55pm. Hope the immigration people will still be around to sort out our landing and PR card processing ?
What time do they close for the day or are they always there no matter what time?

Airport is open 24/7 and they work 24/7 shift, you dnt have any worries safe trip

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:02pm On Oct 14, 2017
Shine1177:

Hi Vcole, the bold has been my line of consideration, I've been reading from page 0 and I've got load of information here. I will appreciate if you can throw more light on it. Thanks.
The Canadian student visa thread has more info. I don't know much about it as I arrived Canada as a pr.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 12:21am On Oct 15, 2017
Morbolar:
Our landed seniors pls i have a kwesion. Pls if my maiden name is used on my PR card, when applying for citizenship, do i have the opportunity to change it to my married name, using my hubby's surname

We asked the question when collecting SIN and the answer is yes but with supporting documents.

I believe you can even amend anytime you want...not having to wait until citizenship time. We will do ours once wifey's passport expires.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 2:35am On Oct 15, 2017
Good evening house (it's 6.25pm here grin). I trust that we are all having a great weekend. Please Oga BlackBuddy, CanaDian fly, ballerz et AL abeg I need some clarification. What is the difference between the child care benefits and child care subsidy (on day care and stuff). Can one family apply for both? I would like to know.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Teatop1234: 9:12am On Oct 15, 2017
Thanks Vcole.

We are on PR and almost at the final stage.
Hubby is the primary applicant hence my question about him going first then I’ll join later with the Children.

vcole:
Welcome freeradical!

@teatop1234, you should note that the process of arriving Canada as a pr and as a student or a sowp holder are very different. I strongly advise that you and your family apply for your visas together. Husband for student permit, you for sowp and kids on dependent visas. You would get more info if you go on the Canada student visa thread.

It is worthy of mention that some families have moved to Canada like this and often times the spouse gets a job and within a year is able to sponsor the whole family under the cec class for pr.

Those schools you mentioned are private schools. Masters academy is the best school in Alberta while clear water and Webber fall into the top 10. So you should understand why their fees are on the high side. Aside from fees, there is no guarantee your kids would get admitted because they usually have a wait list and admission is competitive. That not withstanding, if you are interested in those schools then you should contact them to find out their wait list procedure. The public schools are free and don't require any fees. I don't know about the school you mentioned but if you are looking for "scholastic" schools within the cbe school system then you should look up "tlc" schools and read up about their wait list procedure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Teatop1234: 10:09am On Oct 15, 2017
Thanks XX01.

Yes, hubby is the PA and we want him to go first to sort out school for the children, get a job and rent apartment. We can then join once the Children finishes this session.

XX01:

Remember that the primary applicant has to land first or with the dependents. Dependent can't land before primary applicant.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Teatop1234: 10:11am On Oct 15, 2017
I kind of miss Canadianfly and Dupyshoo.

Pls come back ladies...

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 10:24am On Oct 15, 2017
ladylco:

Airport is open 24/7 and they work 24/7 shift, you dnt have any worries safe trip

Ok. Good to know. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bella123(f): 1:38pm On Oct 15, 2017
grin grin
Teatop1234:
I kind of miss Canadianfly and Dupyshoo.

Pls come back ladies...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
hayor2014:

@honey86

Can you help with the exemption details in specificsand how many more papers do i have to write to obtain the CPA designation ?
I want to weigh it against just writing ACCA and getting CPA even before i leave the country.
It's on a case by case basis. It's different for everyone. I know someone who got a lot of exception and only started at capstone and I know someone who had to start from PEP. If you are sure you are going to finish ACCA before coming, it's fine but there is something you need to know. The MRA agreement that ACCA was with CGA before they all merged to CPA. I read something on their website recently that they are reviewing details of MRA they have but won't affect those that have received the designation. I know some Nigerians started taking ACCA in Canada instead of CPA, the truth is if you get your ACCA designation while in Canada, you do not qualify for the MRA. studying is not that bad. Once you register for CPA, you can put that in your resume. A lot of accounting jobs ask for CPA students.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 15, 2017
hayor2014:

Good day All,

Any accountants( ACCA, ACA, CPA ), i would like to know the job prospects in Canada, how long did it take to get a job, did you have to study again, ( am planning to get CPA before i leave), how much of a hot cake is CPA, what city is best for financial sector jobs and easy on living expenses.
Pardon my plenty questions please
There are lots of accounting job in Winnipeg where I am, that first job is the hardest. But once you get it it makes everything easier.
I'm going to give you my husband's experience. He got his CPA through MRA, got his first job after 3 months. During this time he attended workshops and stuff. He had 10 years of accounting experience in Nigeria,5 in full cycle accounting. When he got here he was told by his friends to go and hand his suit and tie that in Canada you cannot get an office job. He refused to give up and kept searching. He saw all manner of things. Some recruiter didn't know we have university in Nigeria and are wondering how a Nigerian could have the CPA designation. His first job was Accounts payable. He stayed there for 6 months then applied for an intermediate accounting job. He was successful but they weren't sure so they gave him a term contract. 3 months in they made him permanent. He is now a financial manager in the same company. All within 3 years.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 15, 2017
Kingbukaz:

Bros, I am in the same shoes you were sometime back in term of being a civil servant and I read public administration too. Please can I send you an email. This is mine ,oemmanuelebuka@gmail.com.
An average Canadian has 4 career changes in their life time. What I love about this country is that you can be anything you want to be as long as you are ready to work for it. Yes you can get a management trainee job. I think enterprise and u-haul have those positions.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kingbukaz: 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2017
honey86:

An average Canadian has 4 career changes in their life time. What I love about this country is that you can be anything you want to be as long as you are ready to work for it. Yes you can get a management trainee job. I think enterprise and u-haul have those positions.

Thanks bro, please can CRS of 413 be able to get ITA for someone? Am sorry asking here as I know its not the right place.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2017
Saintp:
I learnt public primary schools are free. Are kindergarten classes also free? If no, what is the average cost?
It's free. Depending on your work schedule you may have to pay for daycare.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Topboyz5: 3:13pm On Oct 15, 2017
MostBlessed:
Good day all,

Please I need some advice as to the best way to change money from naira to Canadaian dollars.

-Is it possible to open a bank account with a bank in canada from Nigeria and what is the best way to transfer funds into the account?

- Alternatively, I have a UK bank account, but I am worried that using that account/card in canada will attract some extra charges...

-I don't know if opening a dorm account in Nigeria will be OK. But I am also not comfortable with that as I think Nigerian banks charge a lot for transactions

Any suggestions from those who have successfully moved their cash from Nigeria?

Yes, check Scotia bank

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 15, 2017
pauloverdi:
Good evening house (it's 6.25pm here grin). I trust that we are all having a great weekend. Please Oga BlackBuddy, CanaDian fly, ballerz et AL abeg I need some clarification. What is the difference between the child care benefits and child care subsidy (on day care and stuff). Can one family apply for both? I would like to know.
Child benefit is for all children in Canada and it's calculated based on the age of the child and family income. You don't have a choice as long as you file your taxes.Daycare subsidy is to help with the cost of daycare, you have to apply for that one and it's also based on income.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 2:38am On Oct 16, 2017
honey86:

Child benefit is for all children in Canada and it's calculated based on the age of the child and family income. You don't have a choice as long as you file your taxes.Daycare subsidy is to help with the cost of daycare, you have to apply for that one and it's also based on income.
Thanks for the explanation. One more question abeg: whose name should we use to apply for the daycare subsidy? Husband or wife? Please advise abeg
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:26am On Oct 16, 2017
pauloverdi:

Thanks for the explanation. One more question abeg: whose name should we use to apply for the daycare subsidy? Husband or wife? Please advise abeg
It is a family application. Both spouses apply for it. Usually wife is the primary applicant and husband is the co applicant. Review the requirements based on your province though. I only know the process for Alberta.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Morbolar: 6:26am On Oct 16, 2017
alt3r3g0:

We asked the question when collecting SIN and the answer is yes but with supporting documents.

I believe you can even amend anytime you want...not having to wait until citizenship time. We will do ours once wifey's passport expires.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your response. Guess i will change mine too when my passport expires.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 10:03am On Oct 16, 2017
honey86:

Please what supporting documents are needed to claim child benefit?Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Princesskiki(f): 11:30am On Oct 16, 2017
Please is there a thread for federal skilled trade class?
If yes please I need the link thanks.

My Noc 9213 falls under class B, can I apply under federal skilled trade class since it requires lesser Crs points?

Although I am qualified to apply via Fswp.

Gurus please kindly help with answers.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by murphybo(m): 1:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
please am new here i just want to ask if its possible to do family residence visa to canada at once myself wife and one child? at what cost if possible? thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
murphybo:
please am new here i just want to ask if its possible to do family residence visa to canada at once myself wife and one child? at what cost if possible? thanks.

Hi, I recommend you read up at this link and study the info provided, https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

By also following the conversations there, you will be better informed on the process, cheers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.