Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (129) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1982520 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 5:08pm On Oct 24, 2017
Bella123:
grin That's why I'm skeptical about using Egypt air the food trashing scares me. Besides grin You sound like fabdee from Give Birth in USA thread, very funny.....

There are so many people from the "giving birth in USA" thread on this thread and the FSW thread...the struggle continues grin

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 24, 2017
Cherryola:
Pls house I want to reapply my Canada study permit application for diploma can I use my mother younger brother who's my uncle as my sponsorship and my dad as co sponsorship
Hello Cherryola, please ask your question here https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/293#61705158
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ajujuju2: 5:57pm On Oct 24, 2017
merrymum:
Hello everyone!
So we landed in Calgary 5 days ago.

All the best to us all!

It can be a little disheartening waiting for London to review files. Especially having stayed a full 3months at NA2 and heading on 5months post AOR.

HOWEVER reading stories like yours brings a smile to my face. I can only think of d days ahead. Of landing and house haunting and health service and a better life; Esp for our kids.

All the best sis...will definitely buzz you for tips when our time comes.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabekee: 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
[quote author=Rebarobyn post=61732102]
Please who used Qatar airways? What’s the experience like? Are my food items safe.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 24, 2017
So my supposed airbnb hosts canceled my reservation grin
We got chatting and I answered their questions. Though, I could sense this dislike for black people from the undertone of their inquiries. But hey! a stranger is coming to stay in your apartment, hosts need to be rest assured that they too are safe.
Then the question of my nationality, avoiding to answer that would seem dodgy, there was no point stating another place, since they could request for my ID. Conversation ended with me mentioning Nigeria. Lol....I already knew what that meant before they replied me 36hours later that they'll be traveling and I should keep exploring, which I'm doing right now. Please those who used this platform and had good experience should pls share theirs

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cochtrane(m): 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2017
Zibah14:

Yeah I already read all those landing experiences , and read them again just now, there's nothing for Turkish airlines. I'm actually asking cos I plan to travel with them and would like have an idea what to expect.
I traveled with Turkish airlines several times in the past. I'm sure you'll get as good a service as you'll get on any other star airline.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Triv: 7:53pm On Oct 24, 2017
merrymum:

The lady just asked for the SIN card and made a copy of it. She said that would be sufficient. But offices like where you get a driver's license might insist on utility bills as proof of address.

I’m really happy about this. Thanks very much

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 8:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
yimiton:
Yes, I got the email address of the lady that attended to me when I went to send the passports and forwarded the mail to her. She had earlier told to me do an authorization letter, so, I typed a letter, signed, scanned and attached it to the pick up email and sent both to the dhl lady.

Planning to leave in January. Got some loose knots to tighten before we pack up and leave.

Do you mind sharing your draft authorization letter please?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 9:26pm On Oct 24, 2017
As a paper based applicant, me im envying your NA2 status grin cheesy grin, as i don't even know when AOR will come, usually 2-3 months after application submission.

Don't worry, you're so close, God bless and make the wait easy for you.

Ajujuju2:

It can be a little disheartening waiting for London to review files. Especially having stayed a full 3months at NA2 and heading on 5months post AOR.

HOWEVER reading stories like yours brings a smile to my face. I can only think of d days ahead. Of landing and house haunting and health service and a better life; Esp for our kids.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Algbenguze: 10:13pm On Oct 24, 2017
Jumdah20:
As a paper based applicant, me im envying your NA2 status grin cheesy grin, as i don't even know when AOR will come, usually 2-3 months after application submission.

@Ajujuju2
Just when you think your case is bad, you hear someone wishing they had what you're complaining about.
Cheer up sis!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 11:11pm On Oct 24, 2017
Jumdah20:

@Jumdah20, paper based application? are you doing MPNP? If yes, pls could I pm you?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pcachuks(f): 11:23pm On Oct 24, 2017
Have always used airbnb, never had any issue. Though I leave in Edmonton already,
I think you should keep searching.
Esughusughu:
We got chatting and I answered their questions. Though, I could sense this dislike for black people from the undertone of their inquiries. But hey! a stranger is coming to stay in your apartment, hosts need to be rest assured that they too are safe.
Then the question of my nationality, avoiding to answer that would seem dodgy, there was no point stating another place, since they could request for my ID. Conversation ended with me mentioning Nigeria. Lol....I already knew what that meant before they replied me 36hours later that they'll be traveling and I should keep exploring, which I'm doing right now. Please those who used this platform and had good experience should pls share theirs

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by berryfield(m): 11:45pm On Oct 24, 2017
Hello... Am new on this forum. Please what opportunities abound for Nigerian's optometrists in Canada. Any useful information will be appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 11:48pm On Oct 24, 2017
Esughusughu: so sorry to hear this.I believe you would get a better place. Like Blackbuddy mentioned, someone was looking for his kind of family after other rejected them. Truth be told, we cannot change our country of birth or background but we can forge a better future for ourselves and our kids with the right character and determination. I like your perspective to things, remain optimistic and you will be home and dry soon

Esughusughu:

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 12:11am On Oct 25, 2017
Hello @Ehrnie,
I was informed by my Uni had finally responded to WES' request for verification. This was last week but up till now my accounts still shows pending- awaiting verification. I am thinking of emailing them again. Please can you share your timeline between verification from your Nigeria Uni and update of same on your WES account.

Ehrnie:

Hi - I got my passport + CoPR back before I started my APEGA Registration. I don't recall any question on citizenship but I know there was a question on PR status (can't recall how it was worded though). Someone on this thread said he/she called APEGA and they confirmed that YES, you can start your registration outside CAN. I think that's the best thing to do because the application process can take up to 9 months. The last thing you want is to get to CAN and not be able to get a job related to your discipline because you are waiting on APEGA to come through.

I have just skimmed through the APEGA guide for P. Eng & Licensee and I see the citizenship question was asked. Perhaps this is what you are looking at instead of the Member-In-Training form....

With regards to the years of work experience I think I have a bit of clarity on that now after speaking with a friend who is an Engineer in Alberta. So, if you indicate your work experience (which is over 4 years), you can be eligible for Engineering Licensee. An Engineering Licensee is someone that would have been eligible for P. Eng status but just lacks Canadian experience. So, the same rules apply where one still must work under a PEng to gain the 1-year experience.

Note that if you go for the Licensee option, you will have to write the NPPE exam and fill in a logbook outlining your work experience. In my opinion starting with EIT is a better option since you’ve not written the NPPE yet and once you write it and all your experience is logged in and accounted for, you’ll get your PEng automatically.

The choice is yours -all the best!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 12:23am On Oct 25, 2017
Ajujuju2:

Wow. Not to worry dear, it'll happen sooner than later. I have a friend that started his end of 2015 (though PNP), so there are worse cases.
I'll definitely help out in any way I can. God's speed to you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:43am On Oct 25, 2017
tribeD:
Hello @Ehrnie,
I was informed by my Uni had finally responded to WES' request for verification. This was last week but up till now my accounts still shows pending- awaiting verification. I am thinking of emailing them again. Please can you share your timeline between verification from your Nigeria Uni and update of same on your WES account.

Depends on how the University responded. If it was through electronic mail, you would get an update within 1- 3 days. For postal mail, it would take quite longer.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rocorleone: 4:23am On Oct 25, 2017
THanks I have sent a mail out yet no response.
How do I get this letter now? any other route?

Ballerz:

1 & 2. Yes Temporary License because they will post the license to your address within 90 days. So the one printed on paper can be used while waiting for the one in the mail.

With your FRSC License, and Letter, you will go for the knowledge test, then G1 road test or G2 road test. The letter makes you skip the waiting times (12 - 18 months before you can proceed to the next level test.) Check page 11 of the manual for better clarification. So with the letter you do the Knowledge Test proceed to G2 road test, pass and collect your G License.

Your Nigerian License is expired. The manual says "If you are a new resident of Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province or country, you can use that license for 60 days in Ontario. If you want to continue to drive after 60 days, you must get an Ontario driver's license."

You need to get that FRSC letter to claim waiver for the 2 years waiting time. I had previously posted where You can make a request via email to them. They collected the original of the letter. You must also present the Nig License because they will need to make a copy of it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rocorleone: 4:58am On Oct 25, 2017
Please I need the letter.
Here is my email: terroruche(at)hotmail(dot)com
Thanks
Ballerz:

Mrs O. They will only accept the original of the letter.
The kind of screening she gave letter pass the one bank tellers check when customers present cheques.
Kept reading the three document line by line.
She finally asked " what is a class B" . I simply said equivalent to your Class G. I think it is higher sef cos with class B in Nigeria you fit drive lorry.
She tore off the bio data page attached and returned to me that she doesn't need it.
Gave the documents to her supervisor to sign off on it.
Get someone to DHL it to you.
Or, If you send me an email, I can speak to my colleague who is on secondment there to get your letter for you.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rocorleone: 5:18am On Oct 25, 2017
Please share I need it.
very important this instant. Thanks

Blackbuddy:

Hi, I've made a little enquiry and found that since Abuja is the Head quarters, that's where it is issued from. It's free of charge and they used to send the hard copy by DHL to people free as well but I guess the cost put paid to that. There are claims that people are getting it for as high as N20,000.00 in Lagos but I've not been able to confirm where and how true. For now, I think it's best you make enquiry at the Zonal Command close to you or get your family/friends in Abuja to pick it up and send to you. If I get more details, I'll surely share it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Testimonies: 6:19am On Oct 25, 2017
Please house, how much does it cost to upgrade from ECA to Course-by-Course evaluation of documents (WES).

I tried to upgrade some time back and I saw 164 CAD generated for me. I had to close the page because I didn't exactly understand what was going on.

I was actually expecting to pay only 35 CAD but the bill I saw looked like horror movie to me, so I said I should ask here first as I no con understand again o.

Please how much exactly were you charged.
é dakùn ejo!
@ Ehrnie, Mukhtar4u, and others that might have gone through the same route.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:42am On Oct 25, 2017
tribeD:
Hello @Ehrnie,

Hi - it was about 2-3 days, 5 days max. My school sent it electronically.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:44am On Oct 25, 2017
Testimonies:
Please house, how much does it cost to upgrade from ECA to Course-by-Course evaluation of documents (WES).

I tried to upgrade some time back and I saw 164 CAD generated for me. I had to close the page because I didn't exactly understand what was going on.

I was actually expecting to pay only 35 CAD but the bill I saw looked like horror movie to me, so I said I should ask here first as I no con understand again o.

Please how much exactly were you charged.
é dakùn ejo!
@ Ehrnie, Mukhtar4u, and others that might have gone through the same route.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi - The total cost was CAD162.72. See breakdown below:

$100 for the upgrade, $7 for delivery to APEGA, $30 for the additional copy they sent to me (can't remember if this is compulsory), $7 for delivery to me, then Harmonized Sales Tax of $18.72. If the additional copy is not compulsory, then you might decide not to go for it. It is pointless.

All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 9:53am On Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks.@Ehrnie and @Esughusughu
Ehrnie:

Hi - it was about 2-3 days, 5 days max. My school sent it electronically.
Esughusughu:

Depends on how the University responded. If it was through electronic mail, you would get an update within 1- 3 days. For postal mail, it would take quite longer.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ajujuju2: 9:55am On Oct 25, 2017
Jumdah20:

Amen and thank you.
And so shall it be for you as well.

Dint know people still made paper applications though....but it is well.
We will all celebrate.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ajujuju2: 9:59am On Oct 25, 2017
Algbenguze:

@Ajujuju2
Just when you think your case is bad, you hear someone wishing they had what you're complaining about.
Cheer up sis!

As in eh...when I read the comment I could only just be thankful. Definitely closer to the end, than the beginning.

@jumdah20, i pray your application is swift.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 10:15am On Oct 25, 2017
@Testimonies: I paid the same amount quoted by Ehrnie but I did not request for additional copies. So that's $30 less.
Ehrnie:

Hi - The total cost was CAD162.72. See breakdown below:

$100 for the upgrade, $7 for delivery to APEGA, $30 for the additional copy they sent to me (can't remember if this is compulsory), $7 for delivery to me, then Harmonized Sales Tax of $18.72. If the additional copy is not compulsory, then you might decide not to go for it. It is pointless.

All the best!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shygunXs(m): 10:16am On Oct 25, 2017
Ajujuju2:

Opportunity to keep prepping well jare.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 12:47pm On Oct 25, 2017
Cherryola:
Pls house I want to reapply my Canada study permit application for diploma can I use my mother younger brother who's my uncle as my sponsorship and my dad as co sponsorship

Can you please stop? You've been directed to the appropriate thread severally yet you keep spamming here. Stop already.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 12:54pm On Oct 25, 2017
I did MPNP,, got nomination and applied to CIC already. , i don't know how the PM works o, you can ask me your questions here ill do my best to respond, hopefully it wont count as derailing the thread. Cheers

mamacajah:

@Jumdah20, paper based application? are you doing MPNP? If yes, pls could I pm you?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sammyengr(m): 1:09pm On Oct 25, 2017
Jumdah20:
I did MPNP,, got nomination and applied to CIC already. , i don't know how the PM works o, you can ask me your questions here ill do my best to respond, hopefully it wont count as derailing the thread. Cheers

I m also MPNP applicant
I av bn nominated and also submitted my application to CIC.
awaiting PPR
wish to b in Winnipeg dis December by God's grace

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.