Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1982228 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:33pm On Oct 28, 2017
Someone asked about snow photos. I put up some when it snowed here on october 1st.

@damonas I would really prefer if you ask your questions here if you don't mind. Unless it's really personal info. It's just easier for others to also benefit in my opinion. I had my baby at Rocky view and got referred to an ob from my gp. It may take you a couple of weeks to get an ob referral just because the way the system runs your gp may end up taking all of your prenatal consults and may even take your delivery. I wanted an ob because I was concerned about certain issues so I requested and insisted until I got one.

@einsteino about jobs. Well, in 2 days I'd have spent 6 months in Calgary. First 2 months were spent pregnant. I'm in a licensed profession so I may not be the best person to give reviews about jobs but about 2 months ago I attended a job fair and got a job but I ended up declining that offer because it involved working with kids which is not my strong point and also because I applied for and got accepted into a government funded program that gives employability skills training and an internship and I opted for that because it would give me more benefit in the long run and i get paid too. Most new migrants in the health sector tend to work as care aides but I'm a bit glad I didn't have to because honestly I'm not well suited to those jobs. In my opinion, you would get a job if you keep searching. It may not be your dream job initially but you won't starve.

38 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:35pm On Oct 28, 2017
adeza:
Landed Calgary a month ago, shared my landing experience earlier. Calgary is cold, I’m mostly indoors except when I go for Dr’s appointment or lil shopping. The people are friendly especially when they realize you are expecting a baby soon.
I’m still eating my naija foods (brought in supplies for minimum of 6months, LOL) but recently went to farmers market in NorthEast to get tomatoes, pepper etc which is way cheaper than buying at Superstore.
Here is the address for anyone interested with pictures.

I’m looking for where to buy MEAT in bulk, will appreciate contacts cos I wanna stock up cos baby is due in 2weeks or even less
Nice. If one has a deep freezer, buying at places like the farmers market or costco is the way to go.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:40pm On Oct 28, 2017
Blackbuddy:
A wheelchair tennis match during the recently concluded Invictus Games. The match held at Nathan Philips Square, Toronto. Will try to share more pictures from the GTA. smiley
More of this please....Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:42pm On Oct 28, 2017
vcole:
Someone asked about snow photos. I put up some when it snowed here on october 1st.

@damonas I would really prefer if you ask your questions here if you don't mind. Unless it's really personal info. It's just easier for others to also benefit in my opinion. I had my baby at Rocky view and got referred to an ob from my gp. It may take you a couple of weeks to get an ob referral just because the way the system runs your gp may end up taking all of your prenatal consults and may even take your delivery. I wanted an ob because I was concerned about certain issues so I requested and insisted until I got one.

@einsteino about jobs. Well, in 2 days I'd have spent 6 months in Calgary. First 2 months were spent pregnant. I'm in a licensed profession so I may not be the best person to give reviews about jobs but about 2 months ago I attended a job fair and got a job but I ended up declining that offer because it involved working with kids which is not my strong point and also because I applied for and got accepted into a government funded program that gives employability skills training and an internship and I opted for that because it would give me more benefit in the long run and i get paid too. Most new migrants in the health sector tend to work as care aides but I'm a bit glad I didn't have to because honestly I'm not well suited to those jobs. In my opinion, you would get a job if you keep searching. It may not be your dream job initially but you won't starve.
I also had one of my kids at RGH.
6 months already...How time flies.... smiley

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 9:07pm On Oct 28, 2017
vcole:

@einsteino about jobs.

thanks alot for this, i was most thankful reading your reply, i guess you are in the health sector. you mind telling us the name of the govt program you got accepted in, so we could research the details?

Please anyone who has some more to share, it would be highly appreciated.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by samee72(f): 9:21pm On Oct 28, 2017
Hi all, I've been following this thread now for a while, cos I'm also planning to try the express entry, but one thing holding me back is my health issues, which requires frequent management and I was made to understand that if one has health issue that will cause excessive demands on the country then such application will be rejected, but I was also made to understand there's a way round it, i.e. If you can prove that you won't cause excessive demands on the country or also that there are some provinces that such is not an issue, please I will appreciate if experts here can clarify for me how to go round this, also which provinces can I try where my health won't be excessive demand, thanks a lot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 10:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
samee72:
Hi all, I've been following this thread now for a while, cos I'm also planning to try the express entry, but one thing holding me back is my health issues, which requires frequent management and I was made to understand that if one has health issue that will cause excessive demands on the country then such application will be rejected, but I was also made to understand there's a way round it, i.e. If you can prove that you won't cause excessive demands on the country or also that there are some provinces that such is not an issue, please I will appreciate if experts here can clarify for me how to go round this, also which provinces can I try where my health won't be excessive demand, thanks a lot

Someone mentioned in the fsw thread that he had a condition and he mentioned it and he still passed medicals but we don't know the details.

I would advise you inquire anonymously from all possible places ie IRCC twitter handle, canadavisa blog. You obviously have to state what the medical condition is for an objective opinion . It would be painful for you to spend so much money and time and then be declined at medicals stage.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by samee72(f): 10:34pm On Oct 28, 2017
Rebarobyn:

Someone mentioned in the fsw thread that he had a condition and he mentioned it and he still passed medicals but we don't know the details.

I would advise you inquire anonymously from all possible places ie IRCC twitter handle, canadavisa blog. You obviously have to state what the medical condition is for an objective opinion . It would be painful for you to spend so much money and time and then be declined at medicals stage.

Thanks a lot will do just that.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 11:05pm On Oct 28, 2017
Yey!!! Welcome to Canada and thanks for coming back with feedback on Ethiopian Airline.

Yes, I've bought our Ethiopian airline ticket at an unbelievably cheap price and I'm glad you had a positive experience. Hopefully, we will have a sweet experience too.

Did you pass through Toronto? (YYZ) if yes, how long did it take you to complete your immigration process?

We're a family of 4. How long would you say we should plan to spend at the airport from Landing and taking a vehicle to our destination?

teeoba:
Hi Yimiton,
Hope you are well and thriving. Have you purchased your ticket now?
Quick feedback on Ethiopian from an unrelated trip: The Addis Airport is quite busy/rowdy with lots of people in the terminal but very functional.
My flights left on time and no issues with luggage.
Having experienced it myself..+ their affordable fares: it’s a great option

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 11:14pm On Oct 28, 2017
I haven't purchased yet. They said it has to be at least, 14 days to the departure date.

Lalaska:

Abeg which branch did you purchase your PTA

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 12:01am On Oct 29, 2017
samee72:

I think they do an xray and blood test for the medical ...as long as you don't have sexually transmitted disease like HIV..
you might be fine ..you don;t have to give out so much details...and if you fail the medical i think the hospital in Nigeria will get back to you..

so if you got complex health problems like diabetes or so sickle sell not too sure ,,health is free but prescription drugs aint free, dental is not free , vision is not free...luckily if you have a good job you get health insurance....

In summary its better of you have extra money to take care of yourself better in canada

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tosean(m): 5:17am On Oct 29, 2017
samee72:

Hello, in other to advise you on cic medicals you will have to tell us about the health issue cos there's always a way to go about it. I know some applicants with HIV and some other chronic medical issues that got pr and study permits.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 5:53am On Oct 29, 2017
Hi guys, I need help abeg. I’m looking for two things

1) Palm oil
2) fresh meat in bulk (not all those Walmart fertilizer grown meat that’s softer

People keep telling me there are african stores all around but all I see are Caribbean stores that of course do not have palm oil.

You people should epp me please

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by musy22: 7:21am On Oct 29, 2017
lavivaavril:

1) Palm oil
2) fresh meat in bulk (not all those Walmart fertilizer grown meat that’s softer than pillow)

Location - Mississauga/Etobicoke

People keep telling me there are african stores all around but all I see are Caribbean stores that of course do not have palm oil.

Thanks

Go to Laurie meats
It is on Jane street, Jane/Lawrence intersection in Toronto to be precise.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by overcomer296: 7:28am On Oct 29, 2017
einsteino:
Please it would be nice to read an elaborate post on how long it took you guys to get a job, what type of job and what you did or could have done differently. Also, how you made the transition from a job that pays the bills to your career. I think thats the missing link right now.

Thanks alot

I think this is really important. Cos its the reason most of us are leaving/left Nigeria in the first place. I have also read thru most of the pages and the detailed info on the transition from jobs to pay bills into career jobs are not much. Seniors pls share and advise us so we can be well prepared. Thanks in advance

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 8:02am On Oct 29, 2017
lavivaavril:

1) Palm oil
2) fresh meat in bulk (not all those Walmart fertilizer grown meat that’s softer than pillow)

Location - Mississauga/Etobicoke

Thanks

cheesy cheesy Tell me about it! Even chicken sef.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 8:03am On Oct 29, 2017
musy22:
Go to Laurie meats

This will definitely come in handy. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 8:06am On Oct 29, 2017
vcole:

Thanks for sharing.

Could you please give details of this training/internship?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 10:06am On Oct 29, 2017
hello yimiton,

Please how did you go about getting the cheap Ethiopian flight?
Will appreciate because I intend to follow them too, thanks

yimiton:
Yey!!! Welcome to Canada and thanks for coming back with feedback on Ethiopian Airline.

Yes, I've bought our Ethiopian airline ticket at an unbelievably cheap price and I'm glad you had a positive experience. Hopefully, we will have a sweet experience too.

Did you pass through Toronto? (YYZ) if yes, how long did it take you to complete your immigration process?

We're a family of 4. How long would you say we should plan to spend at the airport from Landing and taking a vehicle to our destination?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 10:14am On Oct 29, 2017
Hello All, been a silent reader for a while. Would be moving to canada soon and earlier in the thread i remember when someone mentioned you coyld get a free gift such as a tab when you open an account with RBC or TD. Ive checked for it, however, i couldn't find it. Is it still available? I like great deals grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabekee: 12:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
Please can you give rough estimate of food you were able to carry. Example bag if crayfish adeza Landed Calgary a month ago, shared my landing experience earlier. Calgary is cold, I’m mostly indoors except when I go for Dr’s appointment or lil shopping. The people are friendly especially when they realize you are expecting a baby soon.
I’m still eating my naija foods (brought in supplies for minimum of 6months, LOL) but recently went to farmers market in NorthEast to get tomatoes, pepper etc which is way cheaper than buying at Superstore.
Here is the address for anyone interested with pictures.

I’m looking for where to buy MEAT in bulk, will appreciate contacts cos I wanna stock up cos baby is due in 2weeks or even less[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 1:48pm On Oct 29, 2017
LMay:

@Esosa4real

I'll like to join the doctors pathway group, please invite me. I'm a doc. Thanks

Send pm

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2017
musy22:

Go to Laurie meats

Thank you musy22 but this means I have to go downtown hmmmmmmm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
Hello House,

Plz I need your assistance, how can one raise funds for travel to Canada.

How can one use family property people who are willing to assist

Am going for pgd in Algonquin College 1 year course graduate program, because am scared of funds

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teeoba: 5:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
I haven’t landed yet o..
Used them on another trip. The reviews that had given me pause were mostly about their hub in Addis.
Now I’ve had the Addis experience, it’s not as bad as they led me to believe.
Definitely flying them for our soft landing in December.

yimiton:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by samee72(f): 11:41pm On Oct 29, 2017
Fusion23:

I think they do an xray and blood test for the medical ...as long as you don't have sexually transmitted disease like HIV..
you might be fine ..you don;t have to give out so much details...and if you fail the medical i think the hospital in Nigeria will get back to you..

so if you got complex health problems like diabetes or so sickle sell not too sure ,,health is free but prescription drugs aint free, dental is not free , vision is not free...luckily if you have a good job you get health insurance....

In summary its better of you have extra money to take care of yourself better in canada

Thanks a lot I do appreciate, I Have a condition which we've been managing for a few years now, I do travel out for my treatments, it's not a sexually transmitted disease, if there's no way round it then I guess it's not worth spending so much on the process only to be refused. I actually wanted to relocate so I can be somewhere I can easily get access to good medical care instead of having to be traveling every 3- 4 months, thanks again

Sorry I was advised to modify my post and remove the specific health condition
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by samee72(f): 11:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
Tosean:

Hello, in other to advise you on cic medicals you will have to tell us about the health issue cos there's always a way to go about it. I know some applicants with HIV and some other chronic medical issues that got pr and study permits.

Thanks for your input. I have a health condition that makes me travel out for treatments like every 3-4 months, it's not a sexually transmitted disease or HIV, so is there a way I can go round it? I won't like to spend much trying to process the express entry only to be denied, thanks once again.

NB: I was advised to modify my post to remove the health condition
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by fabdee: 1:43am On Oct 30, 2017
Lol....I guess they have periods when they do such promos. I opened with RBC and didnt get nada! grin

maygreaves:
Hello All, been a silent reader for a while. Would be moving to canada soon and earlier in the thread i remember when someone mentioned you coyld get a free gift such as a tab when you open an account with RBC or TD. Ive checked for it, however, i couldn't find it. Is it still available? I like great deals grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 2:12am On Oct 30, 2017
samee72:

Thanks a lot I do appreciate, I Have a condition which we've been managing for a few years now, I do travel out for my treatments, it's not a sexually transmitted disease, if there's no way round it then I guess it's not worth spending so much on the process only to be refused. I actually wanted to relocate so I can be somewhere I can easily get access to good medical care instead of having to be traveling every 3- 4 months, thanks again

Sorry I was advised to modify my post and remove the specific health condition

Sorry am just seeing this , but to help you wont have spent a lot on the express entry ..it is worth trying ..do everything till you get invitation to apply , then do the medicals..u do not even have to say the problem if you do not want to.... do not pay the express entry fee until like 4 days after the medicals..if there is anything wrong with your medicals the naija hospital should tell you.....its worth giving a shot..

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kemmytino(f): 4:38am On Oct 30, 2017
yimiton:

How much are we talking about here?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shygunXs(m): 8:46am On Oct 30, 2017
laborel:
hello yimiton,

Please how did you go about getting the cheap Ethiopian flight?
Will appreciate because I intend to follow them too, thanks

Go to Ethiopian airlines website. Their flights are mostly cheap but the downside is the number of stops. They could have about 3 stops, laying over in hours up to 18hrs. So there's a trade off; you either bear with the long wait and pay cheap, or pay more on other airlines and have few stops.

Dunno if any other person has other opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by samee72(f): 8:48am On Oct 30, 2017
Fusion23:

Sorry am just seeing this , but to help you wont have spent a lot on the express entry ..it is worth trying ..do everything till you get invitation to apply , then do the medicals..u do not even have to say the problem if you do not want to.... do not pay the express entry fee until like 4 days after the medicals..if there is anything wrong with your medicals the naija hospital should tell you.....its worth giving a shot..

Ok will give it a shot, thanks once again

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.