Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984706 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 9:52pm On Dec 11, 2017
TEECANN:

Maternal has said it all.

Bro, if it is 200k/mth that you are really earning in here in naija, please don't even bother, just pack your luggage and move immediately to Canny soon as you get your CoPR....I was waiting to read 1million naira/month from you grin...and even at that, guys that I know that are within 1million/month salary region are not even thinking it twice. In Lagos, living within decent standards, 900k-1million/month is just barely covering the mammoth list of expenses and family responsibilities that you have to contend with, so much that these my guys with that type of inflows are still complaining like small boys like us. grin grin

@Beube, how many kids do you have and what is your NOC and job experience area? Drop these info and I can say some things more...however, my bro, on expense for expense, quality of life for quality of life (including the kids' future), suffering for suffering...generally speaking, I guarantee you, you will be better of on the long run in Canada, If you can weather that 1st 10months to 1 year, then you are in! (None of my friends that have left returned out of not being able to survive, that says something. grin grin)

On the job issue, trust your God and your abilities...don't expect an immediate miracle (it may happen though), plan for 10-12 months of "no job" period in Canada...fill this time with a strategically lined up activities to engage yourself in, which should be directed at your getting a job before the expiration of that waiting period.

Go to Canada with savings ready for the first 10 months for rent, feeding and other basic utilities for your family.

Regarding the bolded above, I laugh.... grin grin grin. Nigerians and "projects" and this really got me thinking....Hmmmm

Let me ask you a question, what makes us do the things we do in this part of the world?- our type of society!

Most of us grew to know that the system does not have a social buffer/fall back for us...nothing! So when God finally answer our prayers and we get a job, we start the rat race....acquire, acquire, acquire...lands, start building, build more, buy more lands, never having a life of relaxation and enjoyment at any point in time, no specially planned family vacation, not really doing what we love to do at any point in time...some even console themselves that they are doing the several projects so that their children will not suffer...all these are understandable because of the peculiarities of our society...

Whenever I talk with friends on this Canny hustle, I always advice.. whenever you cross over to Canada, "Try to question your Nigerian Acquired Value systems...what makes you do what you have always known to be what to do? Is it right?, Is it fueled by fear of the unknown? or that wanton Blackman's egoistic gratifications? Why do we chase after so much material acquisitions and millions here? Will all these Nigerian Acquired Valuesystem be necessary where the system (Canny) is working and has your back in the event of a worse case scenario?

Take the opportunity of this relocation and a re-starting of life, to re-choose our life preferences, query what drives us--to amass the millions, wanting to oppress and show off or what? Rebuild your valuesystem in line with sane society best practices, volunteer your time in a cause you are passionate about, help people consciously (go out of your way to exhibit those fine behaviors and integrity known with most oyinbos, consciously do these to make them become part of you because from home, it is not naturally in our DNA to do these)...our kids will generally be on a good path civility-wise by virtue of that environment but we also have a duty to guide them properly with the good parts of our African traditional values (not everything from our society is bad, our culture is rich and imbibing it is beautiful! cheesy)

(WHEN you reevaluate your life drive and restructure it appropriately according to sanity of a developed society, one thing is certain, you will be calm, contented and fulfilled. Trust me, whenever you come visiting Nigeria in the next 5 years, you will look at colleagues that you left behind and be sad, not because you are richer than them (in fact they may even be monetarily richer than you), you will be sad because all you are seeing are old friends still chasing the "rat" in the same race, not having really realized the taste of contentment and a fulfilled life all the years you were away!

I even told some that if I decide to go to work on my bicycle in Naija, some that don't know me will say "Ehyah, poverty has really dealt this man a big blow, God will help him soon grin" Those that know me will say "He is so stingy to even himself, we know he can buy a jeep and look at him, he is using bicycle to the office" grin

But if I critically take look at my need in Canada and decide to go to my office some blocks away on my bicycle, I'm sure nobody will give a hoot, even if I am a manager there and the office tea girl is driving a Range Rover to the office everyday...that is valuesystem modifications! grin

God bless us all!

It will all end in praise IJN

Agree, with most of what you said apart from the bolded portion. This depends largely on your environment and people around you. In lekki and ikoyi, i know many people who walk or ride a bicycle to work and to be honest, i had never even thought about that till i read this statement.

Also, you will be shocked at the number of people who have american/british passports and work in Nigeria....it is the complete opposite...you could easily fall in the rat race over there than in Nigeria. This is one place where your life can literally change overnight.

Don't get me wrong...i get your point....but all this is largely subjective based on various individuals and their financial intelligence, basically understanding simple financial basics e.g a house is not an asset, unless its being rented out.

so lets just stop making general comments here, i know a manager in RBC canada, who was at the time a boss of a current E.D of a tier 1 Nigerian bank....but as long as he's happy about his decision (which he is)...thats what matters...nobody but God knows whatll have happened if he stayed, be be as awesome as an M.D, or as bad as pre-mature death. This is why when people here assume a marriage will dissolve because of distance because that is the Norm.....its exactly what it is, an assumption.....NOTHING DOES NOT HAVE TO GIVE

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 10:09pm On Dec 11, 2017
No one should be separated from his or her spouse or family because of career, money or business. In the end what is the most important thing in life? I cannot stay without my wife for 3 to 6months. Long distance gives room for a lot of things. Most importantly the children need the fatherly or motherly care.

Not everyone, will tell you what they are going through not having their husbands with them abroad. I know a lot of men living in Nigeria with their wives abroad, they have bed warmers here in Nigeria, attending occasions and events with them and even living with them in the same house. It also possible there are some saints out there, it all depends on personality and choice.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 10:20pm On Dec 11, 2017
CAstruggle:
No one should be separated from his or her spouse or family because of career, money or business. In the end what is the most important thing in life? I cannot stay without my wife for 3 to 6months. Long distance gives room for a lot of things. Most importantly the children need the fatherly or motherly care.

Not everyone, will tell you what they are going through not having their husbands with them abroad. I know a lot of men living in Nigeria with their wives abroad, they have bed warmers here in Nigeria, attending occasions and events with them and even living with them in the same house. It also possible there are some saints out there, it all depends on personality and choice.

Key Statement

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 11:13pm On Dec 11, 2017
CAstruggle:

No one is encouraging it, but circumstances are beyond people's control at times. When you need to be the man of the house, you might have to take decisions on whether you want the bank to repossess your house, or you travel out of your city or province for work till you are able to resettle your family.

During the downturn in Alberta, Calgary especially, people were forced to find jobs far away from homes. Canada is spread out. Your next job might be in Toronto or La Ronge or Whitehorse...Let us assume that you moved to La Ronge for work, would you really want to move your family to La Ronge or would you rather work there for a year or two till the economy picks up in the city you originally moved from? Atleast, when you have a good job, you can afford to fly home once in a while to visit them.

.....Nobody likes it, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 11:16pm On Dec 11, 2017
Some of your points emphasise the complete opposite of his thoughts. His advice attempts to dissuade Nigerians from continuously assessing achievements solely on material terms (your job designation, manager vs ED; financial acumen etc), which is the norm in Nigeria and is honestly tiring. The rat race in Nigeria is real and the sad thing is that the majority of people consider it normal.

I agree with you on Nigeria being a place where your life can change overnight, however, you should also point out that such a change can be either good or bad due to a lack of tangible structures or stability. You could start a business today and govt policy literally runs you out of that business in a few months (and that's if you are lucky to have a certain level of staying power). If you are not keen on kissing up to everyone and anyone, and are ready to put in the hard work to get what you desire on merit (with networking in some cases), then Nigeria is not the place to be. Even the so-called powerful ones in the country get their fingers burned badly when they run out of favor with the govt of the day (à la Atiku with Intels). This is simply not the right path to collective growth in any country.

Also, some rented houses are not assets in the real sense of the term when you consider the cost-benefit analysis. In Nigeria, you often have to buy properties with one-off payments that is sourced personally. Usually, such huge amounts of money could serve a better purpose on other investments that will give quick returns (if one is more financially savvy), without the headache of the cost of property renovation, time wasted in search of tenants and tenants owing or playing games with their rents.

Finally, couples seldom divorce in Nigeria even when the misery involved in some marriages is unbearable. I guess it's because the system is such that the woman in the marriage leaves with nothing, and since most women are dependent on the men in Nigeria, they might as well stay for financial reasons. Lately however, I think more men are opting for a divorce 'when they are no longer interested' compared to our fathers. At least, I know men who sent their wives and children abroad or men who vehemently pursue a transfer out-of-state at work even within Nigeria to be apart from their wives.
maygreaves:

Agree, with most of what you said apart from the bolded portion. This depends largely on your environment and people around you. In lekki and ikoyi, i know many people who walk or ride a bicycle to work and to be honest, i had never even thought about that till i read this statement.

Also, you will be shocked at the number of people who have american/british passports and work in Nigeria....it is the complete opposite...you could easily fall in the rat race over there than in Nigeria. This is one place where your life can literally change overnight.

Don't get me wrong...i get your point....but all this is largely subjective based on various individuals and their financial intelligence, basically understanding simple financial basics e.g a house is not an asset, unless its being rented out.

so lets just stop making general comments here, i know a manager in RBC canada, who was at the time a boss of a current E.D of a tier 1 Nigerian bank....but as long as he's happy about his decision (which he is)...thats what matters...nobody but God knows whatll have happened if he stayed, be be as awesome as an M.D, or as bad as pre-mature death. This is why when people here assume a marriage will dissolve because of distance because that is the Norm.....its exactly what it is, an assumption.....NOTHING DOES NOT HAVE TO GIVE

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by barondmoni: 1:38am On Dec 12, 2017
Plumpebony:

Do you mean NDLEA certificate? You don't need it.
thanks for your reply..God bless
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KrustyKomet: 1:57am On Dec 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

In Lagos, I assure you that emergency numbers are all working, I'm not too sure about other States but in Lagos, it works.

Lagos is the country's commercial capital, great place and all but I found your post funny especially when I compared it to what you posted about Lagos somewhere else

Pidgin2:

Who asked you for this report?

Is it not better than Lagos, the state that perpetually smells of human excrement, where no one is ever safe due to endless kidnapping?

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:30am On Dec 12, 2017
KrustyKomet:

Lagos is the country's commercial capital, great place and all but I found your post funny especially when I compared it to what you posted about Lagos somewhere else

Lagos, isn't Nigeria as a whole. Nigeria consists of 36 states, so don't judge the country by highlighting Lagos. That said, Fashola and Ambode have changed the face of Lagos and the state is a lot better with clean air and beautiful edifices everywhere, it's a beautiful state

I repeat, Lagos emergency service is good, we must commend those who are working and I must say they are doing very well for now.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:33am On Dec 12, 2017
maygreaves:

Brilliant

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:36am On Dec 12, 2017
Bsbabe:

Are you the one in the marriage or is that your prayer for them? How can you state something so negative so categorically?

People make sacrifices for their families, especially their children on a daily basis and it is simply the business of the couple who have decided this is the personal sacrifice they will put in for their children. You do not know the foundation of their marriage and have no clue what they are about so to state categorically that their marriage will inevitably dissolve or to wish them such ill is just wicked and nasty.

No vex to the women on this thread. I never said I wish such on anyone's union. It was my opinion, and yes I've been in this exact position. I worked in the oilfields from 013 till 017, working in the north west while the family was in the east coast. I would fly back and forth once every month for a week. I know Nigerians like to put their heads in the sand and go with whatever fits their narrative even though deep down they know the truth. For example we praise the pastor when we really know he's a thief stealing church money while having sex with the church girls. We call our politrickians honorable when we know they're the cause of our issues while looting the country's money away. We call the girl who never attended class but somehow got an A smart, when we know she slept with the professor to get that A. We'll believe whatever fits our narrative. If any woman here wants to believe their young sexually active husband is not sampling another woman while he's away from her for some time "sacrificing" when conji hits, then that's fine. Whatever makes you sleep at time. A man is only as faithful as their options, and temptation dey. "All men aren't the same" until they get caught.

When I was away working on camp, there wasn't a single man who wasn't having affairs with another woman while "sacrificing" for their family. How long will a man masturbate when conji hits, before he goes out and starts looking for flesh? With young pretty unemployed females who's main source of income is by having "boyfriends", it's not hard to find flesh. Here in Canada, a man can literally order toto online. But you're right, some men have no choice as they may not have found a good job in the city they live in. And yes other problems can occur when he's in the house full time. I understand all that. But a man has needs. And his needs will be met regardless of whether it's his wife or not fulfilling those needs.

Just my opinions. Please ladies don't kill me.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:39am On Dec 12, 2017
Arielle:

You are so right. It would take massive commitment and super human discipline for the relationship to survive. I know a couple doing that and all is not really well with them. But going by the naija style of marriage, they're still together and that's what matters.
It sounds doable though, if the couple have a plan and a schedule from the onset and give themselves a limit for living apart. And adopt the 'don't ask don't tell' (and don't snoop) policy. Like someone said here, Canada is too cold. � And a lot of naija babes can be pretty determined. Young guy, banking or oil money, big empty house and no madam. Done deal!

When you adapt the don't ask, don't tell policy, then your marriage will almost be perfect. But that's usually a Nigerian marriage though. Very fake.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:48am On Dec 12, 2017
vcole:

Also it's not just about migration. I always ask some people who are firm believers in cleaving means clinging aka gum gum �� this question. If you and your spouse are together for 10yrs and then you get a job as the UN sec gen and your spouse is in a high management role or a lucrative business owner elsewhere. Would you turn down the sec gen position or would you expect your spouse to resign or close up their business to move around the world with you? Distance in any relationship isn't easy but for some people (read as military lol!) It is inevitable. I think the most important thing is for a couple to know and understand the uniqueness of their relationship and decide if distance is an option and if the timing for said to occur is right and most importantly what the long term plan is.
Anyone female or male who claims distance as the reason for infidelity know that in their heart of hearts they were already cheating or considering it and opportunity just simply presented itself.

See Pastor. Bros, this isn't a Genevieve Nnaji chick flick Nollywood movie, where there's a script and the couple ends up happily ever after. This is real life. Temptation is real. 50 percent of marriages ends in divorce. Are you telling me these people knew in their hearts they were already getting divorced before they married ? Abeg lets talk true talk on this matter.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 6:14am On Dec 12, 2017
So suddenly we are actually comparing the structures and opportunities in Canada to that in Nigeria, a third world vs developed nation. What exactly is the aim of this? Is it for people not to emigrate or we are just feeling patriotic and feel the need to describe our country with beautiful words. Whichever the case, I don't think this is the place.

This thread is an avenue for people who have landed to share their experience to the benefit of those who are still in the process. We seem to have deviated a bit.

Pls we all love our country Nigeria, but even love and patrotism cannot turn white to black. If you believe in your heart that Naija offers better opportunities than Canada, then please, stay back. Don't come here trying to distract us from the purpose of this thread.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:39am On Dec 12, 2017
vascey:
So suddenly we are actually comparing the structures and opportunities in Canada to that in Nigeria, a third world vs developed nation. What exactly is the aim of this? Is it for people not to emigrate or we are just feeling patriotic and feel the need to describe our country with beautiful words. Whichever the case, I don't think this is the place.

This thread is an avenue for people who have landed to share their experience to the benefit of those who are still in the process. We seem to have deviated a bit.

Pls we all love our country Nigeria, but even love and patrotism cannot turn white to black. If you believe in your heart that Naija offers better opportunities than Canada, then please, stay back. Don't come here trying to distract us from the purpose of this thread.
Thank you. Sometimes I truly get tired of conversations that lead nowhere.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:49am On Dec 12, 2017
Ii

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 6:49am On Dec 12, 2017
vcole:

Not true for everyone. My spouse and I were in the "doing well" group back home. Migrating to Canada was not triggered by a need for better financial prosperity but for other reasons. There is more to living in a country than the Jobs or funds you make. I have kids, growing up in this present day Nigeria for them is a risk in my opinion. Violence is allowed to thrive, the values being perpetrated right now back home are not exactly great. Then let's talk about the "over religiosity" and yet lack of love and kindness that is rampant back home. For us, it was mostly to be able to live in a place where our kids would grow up and not feel comfortable walking past someone who fell on the road and needs a helping hand to lift them up. Yes, they could have been taught that everywhere but it is harder to do that in present day Nigeria. Even our generation grew up in a better naija than this. Also, let's talk about education........Nigeria is still waaaaayyyyyy backwards as regards advancing educational opportunities that are relevant in the future. I have an interest in Academia and that would practically die if I remained back home. Let's talk about health care which happens to be my field. Yes, I could be in Nigeria and make a ton of money but my career would be pretty much dead in the water having more patients who die than those who live. No matter how hard I tried within 7yrs of practice back home I could never develop the selective amnesia needed to practice in Nigeria. Then let's talk about gender issues. I have a son and a daughter. I refuse to raise my son in a society that makes him regard women less than they should. Yes, he could be raised sane in Naija but it'll require more effort and I'll much rather put in that effort and let the society I live in help strengthen it. My daughter........Canada is currently the best country in the world to live as a woman and I'll much rather live here and have my daughter raised here than in Nigeria.
People migrate for so many other reasons and not always because they are not "doing well"
No matter how much doing well you are doing back home you'll still have and maintain a generator, provide your own water, drive on pothole ridden roads, provide your own security, keep yourself and family indoors during elections, run away to another country for medical care if you are diagnosed with cancer, pray that you are not involved in a ghastly accident on the expressway or even within the city because emergency care services may never get to you in time and no matter how much "doing well" you are doing your life expectancy will remain in the 50s and the list is endless and personally I don't believe in "praying for every damn thing" . But these kind of issues don't bother everyone.

I agree with all you wrote except the part you said that girls are regarded less in this country. In Nigeria, women get preferential treatment.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 6:55am On Dec 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Nice post, but you're wrong by saying Nigeria is unknown. Infact, you have the freedom to control your life in Nigeria without committing anything to the govt

As a high earner in Nigeria, you have the option of sending your kids to the best schools here or abroad, the choice is yours

You can produce your own electricity if you don't want to depend on the govt for it, you can remove yourself entirely from paying PHCN bills with no questions asked, hence you can put on your light knowing there will be light all the time. Try alternative power or move to areas with good light supply e.g Osun, Jos, Abuja etc tongue

Also, you can chose to stay in service flats with 24/7 light supply and 24/7 security, you don't have to travel to Canada to achieve this, trust me if you can afford a service flat you can have this too. Or better still, take advantage of security gadgets like alarms and such, you can also get a gun licence or employ private security guards

In Nigeria, just get a sim, register and use your line to access any state or country in the world, no need for long stories, pay as you go, o'er second billing, cheap data

Your flat should have water running but if it doesn't, I personally will prefare supplying my own treated water via boreholes so that I can maintain the standard to my taste, if this is not your forte, make sure you rent a flat or house with running water or find out how you can get your house connected to the govt's own.

In Lagos, I assure you that emergency numbers are all working, I'm not too sure about other States but in Lagos, it works.

To avoid Maina eating your pension funds, you can subscribe to any reputable RSA of your choice and if you are into private business, you can try life assurance policy, these are privately owned not govt's so no Mainas here

For relaxation, you can plan summer trips or seasonal trips as you wish and I assure you, if you can prove that you are a genuine traveller, getting a visa wouldn't be an issue for you. Let them know you aren't deserting your country and you will definitely get visa without stress

As for hospitals, try researching for good ones and get familiar with your doctors also take advantage of HMOs to get good deals for your medical insurance. It will save you a lot of money

When next you arrive and someone askes you "Wetin you bring come?* smile and tell him nothing, if you need someone to welcome you with a smile, you can invite friends and family to pick you up at the Airport

The land is truly green and beautiful.

I did say that the answer was posed by someone, in the light of that you should have rather said "he is wrong". Nonetheless, since I largely agree with him, i can not help but counter your perspective.What you have described there is applicable to a minute few, not even majority of high income earners and definitely not the generality of Nigerians. renting a place in a highbrow area is not the real Nigeria, it is the farce you live in to escape a bit from Nigeria. You cant escape the real nigeria though, you would still get to see it when you drive your expensive cars on poorly constructed roads when you have to go to places in the real Nigeria. The real Nigeria would still live in your mentality and the way you have to interact with people regardless of living in the neighbourhood that attempts to mimick the western world. the real nigeria would thrive in your judgement, making you oblivious to your bias. Nonetheless, lets pretend your farce is the Nigeria we all can live in as high income earners.

The premise of your argument collapses when one realises that the high income earners in Nigeria risk being plunged further into the unknown if their success is as a result of hardwork rather than political sagacity or old money. if someone loses his job that pays 1million a month, he is in big soup because he probably had a job within the top 0.01% of Nigerian payscale. That thriving business that pays the bills, that took you years to build can be ruined in an instance by policies of our apathetic govt.

You talk about good hospitals in Nigeria, i just laugh. How come our leaders rather jet off for check up? It also wouldnt matter how much you earn if you suffer a heart attack outside your Eldorado that doesnt reflect the true Nigeria and have to be rushed to the nearest hospital, you would learn the bitter truth what Nigeria is by gambling the only life you have; majority of deaths in even our private hospitals wouldnt have been fatal in the developed world.

A case in point: Sometime back we lost a brother on the EE thread, he had just got his PR. He made a reasonable income, one that many would envy and worked with a high profile firm in PH. just before he could make his landing in canada, the Nigerian system took him. He was shot by robbers, got rushed to a hospital that he had health cover with but they wouldnt attend to him perhaps waiting for a police report. he was conscious for several hours before his death, spent it being couriered from one hospital to the other until he gave up the ghost.

Moreso, being a high earner in Nigeria all to live a farce, telling yourself you are enjoying a luxury. I am not one of those who derives joy by how badly others are doing in comparison to myself. Mind you Big man dey born poor man too.. what about your kids? ours is a system that the only kids that are guaranteed a future in Nigeria, are the kids of the ruling class. You spoke of sending your kids overseas to avoid the unknown, at least you subtly acknowledged the unknown in Nigeria by that suggestion. Anyways, I would have you know that they would also have to remain there after studies to get a job, cos it makes no economic sense to return to a country where the average salary is about 2000usd per annum after investing that much into their education. a country where employers rather employ OND grads to save cost, definitely wouldnt give a hoot about their expensive degree. Also, your kids are automatically suspects when they meet police, because the only way to afford a car for the average nigerian youth is involving in crime.

it is not enough to say emergency numbers are working, how long does it take to get help? how good is the service delivery. Please we live here, I'd rather play bet9ja with my life savings than take my chances with emergency services in Lagos over those in Canada.

Nigeria is the unknown, the path to living a basic life that is branded as luxury, is a miracle and a testimony here. So much that even when you get admitted to the university, the bleeped up system would have you thinking it was by divine intervention rather than merit. Ours is a society where basic ammenities are electoral promises, and leading a normal life places you among the exceptionally rich, making you and your family the target of kidnappers and robbers. This is common knowledge, to attempt to argue against this, is no different from govt sponsored propaganda that fills our media with stories that are far off from the everyday reality.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 7:07am On Dec 12, 2017
KrustyKomet:

She was obviously joking when she made that statement. Some people just want to argue just for the sake of it.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:24am On Dec 12, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

I agree with all you wrote except the part you said that girls are regarded less in this country. In Nigeria, women get preferential treatment.

Nigeria ke! shocked shocked

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 12, 2017
einsteino:

Sometime ago, a Nigerian man, seeking greener pasture for himself and young family, got stabbed in Canada, he still died despite the medical attention.

There are poor people everywhere even in America and Canada, is it easier to cope with the knowledge that there's a single mother sleeping in her car with her four kids in America or that somewhere in the wilderness of Canada there's a family without a proper home with heating facilities who are virtually freezing to death? How do you feel knowing that there are thousands sleeping out in the cold right where you are, at least in Nigeria no one will ever freeze to death but unfortunately this still happens abroad.

K1 just lost his daughter in Canada
https://www.nairaland.com/4229848/photo-wasilat-olaronke-marshal-died

On this same thread you have witnessed someone earning $7000 monthly in Nigeria so your tagging most people's annual salary at $2000 is quite ridiculous. Nevertheless, it's more reasonable to live on that amount in Nigeria per annum than it is to live on it per month in Canada because the cost of living in both countries is different

By all means, leave if it's your desire but please don't drag the country in the mud while you are at it because even people in UK, US, Australia and other developed countries still relocate for personal reasons and to me these countries are better off than Canada but they still do, likewise Canadians also relocate to other places

Canada is a reserved country without any notable world influence despite it's size, it's a place for those seeking a quiet lifestyle for themselves and children. Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 7:35am On Dec 12, 2017
XX01:

Nigeria ke! shocked shocked

I can give you instances but I would like to understand why you or vcole feel that ladies are regarded less in nigeria even with all the preferential treatment they get in Nigeria. Yes, in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 7:56am On Dec 12, 2017
Arielle:

You are so right. It would take massive commitment and super human discipline for the relationship to survive. I know a couple doing that and all is not really well with them. But going by the naija style of marriage, they're still together and that's what matters.
It sounds doable though, if the couple have a plan and a schedule from the onset and give themselves a limit for living apart. And adopt the 'don't ask don't tell' (and don't snoop) policy. Like someone said here, Canada is too cold. � And a lot of naija babes can be pretty determined. Young guy, banking or oil money, big empty house and no madam. Done deal!

I'll like to think that the women here don't want to hear the volcanic truth because it would give them high blood pressure. If only they know the truth. Personally, I know a lot of men who philander immediately their wives and kids move abroad. Naija men? Forget it. But body no be fire wood.

Infact, once these single girls see a financially buoyant dude (less than 50) without his wife , they will hunt him to feed him with pussy. God help you if these "mosquitoes" want more than just feeding him with pussy. For some reasons best known to them, these men are better than the single guys.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 8:08am On Dec 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Sometime ago, a Nigerian man, seeking greener pasture for himself and young family, got stabbed in Canada, he still died despite the medical attention.

There are poor people everywhere even in America and Canada, is it easier to cope with the knowledge that there's a single mother sleeping in her car with her four kids in America or that somewhere in the wilderness of Canada there's a family without a proper home with heating facilities who are virtually freezing to death? How do you feel knowing that there are thousands sleeping out in the cold right where you are, at least in Nigeria no one will ever freeze to death but unfortunately this still happens abroad.

Not comparing Canada to Nigeria in any way but if you want reasons to relocate seek within you and refrain from making general statements because what makes you chose to leave is what you personally cannot tolerate down here, it's different from what the next person finds easy to deal with.

On this same thread you have witnessed someone earning $7000 monthly in Nigeria so your tagging most people's annual salary at $2000 is quite ridiculous. Nevertheless, it's more reasonable to live on that amount in Nigeria per annum than it is to live on it per month in Canada because the cost of living in both countries is different

It seems you are underrating the financial intelligence of the average Nigerian, hardly will you find any monthly earner who doesn't have a second means of income, talkless of someone earning a reasonable monthly salary who can afford to invest his money elsewhere. Losing a job hurts everywhere even in Canada

By all means, leave if it's your desire but please don't drag the country in the mud while you are at it because even people in UK, US, Australia and other developed countries still relocate for personal reasons and to me these countries are better off than Canada but they still do, likewise Canadians also relocate to other places

Canada is a reserved country without any notable world influence despite it's size, it's a place for those seeking a quiet lifestyle for themselves and children. Good luck

oh jeez. i said the average salary per annum is 2000usd, and you took someone who earns 7000usd per month to compare., when u realise that he isnt in anyway the average nigerian. do you know how much an average nigerian earns?

the question here is which country presents better quality of life for the average joe? reading through your reply, it is almost as if you are trying so hard to run away from what the average Nigerian goes through, if you are privileged, understand i am talking about what one would likely encounter in nigeria, not the make believe paradise you devote all ypur resources to in a bid to escape it.

there is no need to be emotional here, Nigeria is my home as much as it is yours. but the truth doesnt care about our emotions.

Caveat: the decision to leave or remain in Nigeria is wholly yours and you should check what suits you best. but if it is about what is best for an average joe, the answer is not in anyway debatable.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elle78: 8:11am On Dec 12, 2017
Well said....

TEECANN:

(WHEN you reevaluate your life drive and restructure it appropriately according to sanity of a developed society, one thing is certain, you will be calm, contented and fulfilled. Trust me, whenever you come visiting Nigeria in the next 5 years, you will look at colleagues that you left behind and be sad, not because you are richer than them (in fact they may even be monetarily richer than you), you will be sad because all you are seeing are old friends still chasing the "rat" in the same race, not having really realized the taste of contentment and a fulfilled life all the years you were away!

I even told some that if I decide to go to work on my bicycle in Naija, some that don't know me will say "Ehyah, poverty has really dealt this man a big blow, God will help him soon grin" Those that know me will say "He is so stingy to even himself, we know he can buy a jeep and look at him, he is using bicycle to the office" grin

But if I critically take look at my need in Canada and decide to go to my office some blocks away on my bicycle, I'm sure nobody will give a hoot, even if I am a manager there and the office tea girl is driving a Range Rover to the office everyday...that is valuesystem modifications! grin

God bless us all!

It will all end in praise IJN

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by temitope06(m): 9:18am On Dec 12, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

I'll like to think that the women here don't want to hear the volcanic truth because it would give them high blood pressure. If only they know the truth. Personally, I know a lot of men who philander immediately their wives and kids move abroad. Naija men? Forget it. But body no be fire wood.

Infact, once these single girls see a financially buoyant dude (less than 50) without his wife , they will hunt him to feed him with pussy. God help you if these "mosquitoes" want more than just feeding him with pussy. For some reasons best known to them, these men are better than the single guys.

You lied. Nigerian girls will chase a great grand father if he's rich. 50 is very young with our Naija Aunties, even the female celebs are not left out. Naija man alone making money while the family is abroad? The one wey the family dey with am sef still dey fire steady. Alot of my friends that were good guys when they were single are now firing squads after marriage, a 360 turn. They tell me guy marry first then u go understand. Marriage is a whole diff topic tbh cos apart from having kids, it is a disaster, how in the world are u supposed to be with the same person for over 50 years? Being apart is a definite recipe for divorce, the good men will not allow it to go beyond just shagging but some men fall prey to the 'extreme' powers of our lovely naija Aunties and then Achebe is involved, things start to fall apart.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 9:31am On Dec 12, 2017
maygreaves:

Tamm:
Some of your points emphasise the complete opposite of his thoughts. His advice attempts to dissuade Nigerians from continuously assessing achievements solely on material terms (your job designation, manager vs ED; financial acumen etc), which is the norm in Nigeria and is honestly tiring. The rat race in Nigeria is real and the sad thing is that the majority of people consider it normal.

I agree with you on Nigeria being a place where your life can change overnight, however, you should also point out that such a change can be either good or bad due to a lack of tangible structures or stability. You could start a business today and govt policy literally runs you out of that business in a few months (and that's if you are lucky to have a certain level of staying power). If you are not keen on kissing up to everyone and anyone, and are ready to put in the hard work to get what you desire on merit (with networking in some cases), then Nigeria is not the place to be. Even the so-called powerful ones in the country get their fingers burned badly when they run out of favor with the govt of the day (à la Atiku with Intels). This is simply not the right path to collective growth in any country.

Also, some rented houses are not assets in the real sense of the term when you consider the cost-benefit analysis. In Nigeria, you often have to buy properties with one-off payments that is sourced personally. Usually, such huge amounts of money could serve a better purpose on other investments that will give quick returns (if one is more financially savvy), without the headache of the cost of property renovation, time wasted in search of tenants and tenants owing or playing games with their rents.

Finally, couples seldom divorce in Nigeria even when the misery involved in some marriages is unbearable. I guess it's because the system is such that the woman in the marriage leaves with nothing, and since most women are dependent on the men in Nigeria, they might as well stay for financial reasons. Lately however, I think more men are opting for a divorce 'when they are no longer interested' compared to our fathers. At least, I know men who sent their wives and children abroad or men who vehemently pursue a transfer out-of-state at work even within Nigeria to be apart from their wives.

Thank you @Tamm for straightening the point.

@maygreaves, kindly find @vcole's post below and read, if you cant come to a fuller understanding of the point that I was trying to make after reading her (@vcole) post, then I give up grin....

In vcole's voice.."but these kind of issues don't bother everyone" (However, those little details of living bother some of us) sad

VCOLE'S GOLDEN OPINION
"Not true for everyone. My spouse and I were in the "doing well" group back home. Migrating to Canada was not triggered by a need for better financial prosperity but for other reasons. There is more to living in a country than the Jobs or funds you make. I have kids, growing up in this present day Nigeria for them is a risk in my opinion. Violence is allowed to thrive, the values being perpetrated right now back home are not exactly great. Then let's talk about the "over religiosity" and yet lack of love and kindness that is rampant back home. For us, it was mostly to be able to live in a place where our kids would grow up and not feel comfortable walking past someone who fell on the road and needs a helping hand to lift them up. Yes, they could have been taught that everywhere but it is harder to do that in present day Nigeria. Even our generation grew up in a better naija than this. Also, let's talk about education........Nigeria is still waaaaayyyyyy backwards as regards advancing educational opportunities that are relevant in the future. I have an interest in Academia and that would practically die if I remained back home. Let's talk about health care which happens to be my field. Yes, I could be in Nigeria and make a ton of money but my career would be pretty much dead in the water having more patients who die than those who live. No matter how hard I tried within 7yrs of practice back home I could never develop the selective amnesia needed to practice in Nigeria. Then let's talk about gender issues. I have a son and a daughter. I refuse to raise my son in a society that makes him regard women less than they should. Yes, he could be raised sane in Naija but it'll require more effort and I'll much rather put in that effort and let the society I live in help strengthen it. My daughter........Canada is currently the best country in the world to live as a woman and I'll much rather live here and have my daughter raised here than in Nigeria.
People migrate for so many other reasons and not always because they are not "doing well"
No matter how much doing well you are doing back home you'll still have and maintain a generator, provide your own water, drive on pothole ridden roads, provide your own security, keep yourself and family indoors during elections, run away to another country for medical care if you are diagnosed with cancer, pray that you are not involved in a ghastly accident on the expressway or even within the city because emergency care services may never get to you in time and no matter how much "doing well" you are doing your life expectancy will remain in the 50s and the list is endless and personally I don't believe in "praying for every damn thing" . But these kind of issues don't bother everyone."

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 10:00am On Dec 12, 2017
Migration is not for everybody. If there's no interest in it, one should not be on this thread. Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant is the topic(and not a question) of the thread. Please let's get to read more experiences from our landed brothers and sisters out there to the benefit of those planning to land or even the newly landed. This is a life changing thread and not a gamble, families are involved.

On the flip side, I have been preparing myself for the new life studying for relevant professional qualifications, working with a CANPREP mentor to be job ready in canny and processing admissions for studies to acquire a canny qualification, in my opinion, will help me integrate and adapt to their academic standards. My spouse is also preparing so we can be of benefit to each other and make life easier. We have plans to do a survival job as well as volunteer during the waiting period for the dream job. We have an idea about the neighborhood we will be looking for accommodation, an idea about school for the kids, shopping and other social amenities.

We also do online research every other day and sometimes make phones calls to people to get real answers. I read and learn from this thread regularly. I sieve out what is important to us and add to the heap of information already in our kitty. Shouldn't people be doing same in here? My thoughts.

Now with all the above, we feel very confident about the future, what about you?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 10:17am On Dec 12, 2017
einsteino:

You talk about good hospitals in Nigeria, i just laugh. How come our leaders rather jet off for check up? It also wouldnt matter how much you earn if you suffer a heart attack outside your Eldorado that doesnt reflect the true Nigeria and have to be rushed to the nearest hospital, you would learn the bitter truth what Nigeria is by gambling the only life you have; majority of deaths in even our private hospitals wouldnt have been fatal in the developed world.

A case in point: Sometime back we lost a brother on the EE thread, he had just got his PR. He made a reasonable income, one that many would envy and worked with a high profile firm in PH. just before he could make his landing in canada, the Nigerian system took him. He was shot by robbers, got rushed to a hospital that he had health cover with but they wouldnt attend to him perhaps waiting for a police report. he was conscious for several hours before his death, spent it being couriered from one hospital to the other until he gave up the ghost.

A PRAYER FOR MYSELF, MY FAMILY AND ALL WHO DESIRE SAME

For the remaining time that we will be in here (to collect our CoPRs), for our friends & families that we will leave behind, for the times we will come back for holidays and vacation, may this Nigerian system never consume us, our friends & families. IJN, AMEN!

It will surely end in praise IJN!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 10:25am On Dec 12, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

I can give you instances but I would like to understand why you or vcole feel that ladies are regarded less in nigeria even with all the preferential treatment they get in Nigeria. Yes, in Nigeria.

I'll pass on that.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 10:26am On Dec 12, 2017
temitope06:

You lied. Nigerian girls will chase a great grand father if he's rich. 50 is very young with our Naija Aunties, even the female celebs are not left out. Naija man alone making money while the family is abroad? The one wey the family dey with am sef still dey fire steady. Alot of my friends that were good guys when they were single are now firing squads after marriage, a 360 turn. They tell me guy marry first then u go understand. Marriage is a whole diff topic tbh cos apart from having kids, it is a disaster, how in the world are u supposed to be with the same person for over 50 years? Being apart is a definite recipe for divorce, the good men will not allow it to go beyond just shagging but some men fall prey to the 'extreme' powers of our lovely naija Aunties and then Achebe is involved, things start to fall apart.

This is so true. Unfortunately, not a lot of people like the truth being laid bare this way.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 10:28am On Dec 12, 2017
XX01:

I'll pass on that.

Good. I'm happy you know that women get preferential treatment here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 12, 2017
Negotiate:
Guys, forgive me for my odd way if thinking.
I was just wondering. Instead of renting an apartment with about 1,500 when im not yet sure of where I'll be living as a new entry, what do you think about getting an RV?

An RV can be purchased for about 6k which means I can resell after I get a job and finally settle in a desired city.

What are the laws regarding ownership of such?

Is this something a family can manage in? For the greater good?

Imagine if I use a $6000 RV for a year... I can finally sell it off at 4000. Meaning I have only used about 2000 as rent for the whole year.

Am I day dreaming or am I running mad?

HEISENBERG!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.