Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,289 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (163) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1991743 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 9:31am On Dec 19, 2017
salford1:
congrats @freeradical. What it might take others years to achieve...you did it in a few month.
You applied wisdom. All you have to do is not take advantage of internal openings to get into your more desired role. i doubt they would let you go after 9months. All the best.
Free chilled beer anytime i show edmonton be that..
U no get shaking bro. But no shack d one the one we go read for breatholyser oo when u start driving back to your base. my hand no dey grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 10:12am On Dec 19, 2017
Congrats @ freeradical.

Question for the house: Family PR cards, are they sent together? For e.g, if one of the members is asked to send another picture, will all be delayed and sent together when all has been approved?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 10:38am On Dec 19, 2017
freeradical:
Thanks madam vcole. I feel giving back to the thread I've gained so much from is only fair. How is our Canadian baby holding up?

Congrats @freeradical.

I wish even if just 10% of our landed compatriots can have this predisposition to giving back to the Canny threads whenever they arrive, it would have gone a long way in shaping people's decision but our naija folks sha..hmmmm cheesy

You have yet again reinforced my firm conviction of what is the normal thing to do- help those coming behind with practical info of what's on ground over there so that they can make more informed decisions and choices....just like great minds like Blackbuddy, Maternal, Vcole, et al.

It is surely ending in praise IJN!

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 10:54am On Dec 19, 2017
maternal:

lol naija people and God. But congrats I'm happy to hear stories like this. Not to take anything away from you, because you literally planned your arrival perfectly and put the effort in, but it has more to do with where you decided to land more than anything. You've proven what I've been telling people all this time. Stay away from expensive/ over-saturated Toronto if you can. Come to Alberta. Far less competition, cheaper cost of living/housing, lower taxes, and a better economy. In over a month you have your own place (853 for 2 bedrooms with heat,internet, etc is dirt cheap in Canada), a job, etc. I love how you didn't have a big head and used the resources provided by the government for new arrivals. Such as resume building and so forth. Most importantly, you now have Canadian experience on your resume. More doors will surely be opening, it'll only get better. Your method should be used as a template for new arrivals. Again Congrats.

Bro @maternal,

Please what's the reason behind your statement at the bolded above? Just curious to learn.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mcstan18(m): 11:09am On Dec 19, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, please see responses above.

You're the man! I really appreciate this
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 11:26am On Dec 19, 2017
EJIZY:

Mine is 5weeks now, I just tire for Accra making me move all my plans because they have not released passport. Really tot I will spend Xmas in Canny..SMH

Wawu! Maybe this week

I am 35days now!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 11:26am On Dec 19, 2017
vcole:

No mind Accra oh. They are repeat offenders. Copr would be out soon

Amin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 11:27am On Dec 19, 2017
ugoiyke79e:

Chaiii my broda don suffer for this people hand!!
For all your delays, u shall get seat on the parliament!
Lol.....my sista, dem don teach me patience!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ItsYourFriend: 11:41am On Dec 19, 2017
[quote author=freeradical post=63415910]
I'm so much thrilled with your experience! Congrats.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ItsYourFriend: 11:42am On Dec 19, 2017
[quote author=freeradical post=63415910]
I'm so much thrilled with your experience! Congrats.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hafsat24(f): 11:49am On Dec 19, 2017
TEECANN:

Congrats @freeradical.

I wish even if just 10% of our landed compatriots can have this predisposition to giving back to the Canny threads whenever they arrive, it would have gone a long way in shaping people's decision but our naija folks sha..hmmmm cheesy

You have yet again reinforced my firm conviction of what is the normal thing to do- help those coming behind with practical info of what's on ground over there so that they can make more informed decisions and choices....just like great minds like Blackbuddy, Maternal, Vcole, et al.

It is surely ending in praise IJN!

I think i get where you are driving at smiley.. however i want to believe those who went through Nairaland threads for the whole process will give back info when they eventually settle in..i think for some they feel better when they get their acts together and settle in into what they desire most only then will come back to share their experiences..while for others they don't mind sharing what stage or step of the way they are at any given moment.. let's not forget that for some the whole process takes a short period and hence you hear updates quickly and some takes a while..however i do have very close friends who went the aussie route and went cold..vague responses to questions..i try to understand and respect their space.. Surprisingly though i've come realise it's those who you know nothing about who help you with these info smiley..above all i believe Nairaland has made us one big close knit family helping one another as such hoarding info isn't just us grin and i believe in the next few months we will have much more feedback from those who have left already.. I hope to someday share my experiences too smiley

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 12:17pm On Dec 19, 2017
maternal:

lol naija people and God. But congrats I'm happy to hear stories like this. Not to take anything away from you, because you literally planned your arrival perfectly and put the effort in, but it has more to do with where you decided to land more than anything. You've proven what I've been telling people all this time. Stay away from expensive/ over-saturated Toronto if you can. Come to Alberta. Far less competition, cheaper cost of living/housing, lower taxes, and a better economy. In over a month you have your own place (853 for 2 bedrooms with heat,internet, etc is dirt cheap in Canada), a job, etc. I love how you didn't have a big head and used the resources provided by the government for new arrivals. Such as resume building and so forth. Most importantly, you now have Canadian experience on your resume. More doors will surely be opening, it'll only get better. Your method should be used as a template for new arrivals. Again Congrats.

Hnmm i will take this advice very very seriously sad
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Deebay: 1:01pm On Dec 19, 2017
freeradical:
Edmonton is good now. The ice that piled after heavy snowfall in october and november has melted away though we are expecting a second wave anytime soon. There are many opportunities here as we see job adverts every now and then. I am still discovering the city itself.

I stay close to Century Park and we are looking forward to meeting you guys when u eventually arrive
Thanks so much. We just got our ppr last night so now it full power. Lol. I have just been smiling since, to scream sef no gree come.
Please what airline can you advise, checking out Ethiopian. Also like how many hours do I need for landing formalities before boarding to edmonton. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:17pm On Dec 19, 2017
alt3r3g0:
Congrats @ freeradical.

Question for the house: Family PR cards, are they sent together? For e.g, if one of the members is asked to send another picture, will all be delayed and sent together when all has been approved?
They arrive seperately usually. The ones that are ready would be sent. Others that need correction might be delayed or need to be sent back to them.
freeradical:

U no get shaking bro. But no shack d one the one we go read for breatholyser oo when u start driving back to your base. my hand no dey grin
Lol.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:21pm On Dec 19, 2017
esosa4real:

Lol.....my sista, dem don teach me patience!!
Patience is good. you would still need it when you arrive in Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:01pm On Dec 19, 2017
Hafsat24:

I think i get where you are driving at smiley.. however i want to believe those who went through Nairaland threads for the whole process will give back info when they eventually settle in..i think for some they feel better when they get their acts together and settle in into what they desire most only then will come back to share their experiences..while for others they don't mind sharing what stage or step of the way they are at any given moment.. let's not forget that for some the whole process takes a short period and hence you hear updates quickly and some takes a while..however i do have very close friends who went the aussie route and went cold..vague responses to questions..i try to understand and respect their space.. Surprisingly though i've come realise it's those who you know nothing about who help you with these info smiley..above all i believe Nairaland has made us one big close knit family helping one another as such hoarding info isn't just us grin and i believe in the next few months we will have much more feedback from those who have left already.. I hope to someday share my experiences too smiley

Just has you mentioned, people settle at different times. Some settle fast and others could take years especially for those in regulated professions. Adapting to a new country and trying to have an idea of how the system works take time too. Taking care of kids, searching for jobs, moving around etc. would make you forget about nairaland for a while.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 19, 2017
salford1:

I agree with everything up here except "Canada being having more opportunies than the US". No country in the world compares to the US interms of oportunity...career wise and jobs.

From observation of things going on around me, good jobs are hard to get in Canada. No need in sugar coating the situation on ground. I would like to add that networking is very very important in Canada. It was one of the culture shock I experienced and still experiencing when I moved from the UK to Canada. In Nigeria, they call it man-know-man. In Canada, it is called networking. Alot of good jobs are kept within circles of friends and family. It's a small country (population wise) so they have to watch out for each other. There are exceptions though. e.g Good preparation and timing - booming economy, Gods favour, luck, IT gurus, jobs in very large organization (few in Canada), or you have some rare special skills that are had to find. I did not know anyone in the first two good jobs I worked, but with Gods favour I got in. I realised that my competitors for these jobs always had friends/families inside. The last small team I worked with had a father & son, boyfriend & girlfriend, a retirees son, one whose wife works in HR. lol. This is an organization of around 5000 people. When you move around the same organization but different department, you would find similar set up.

The Indians are catching up fast and beating the Canadians to their game. The last meeting I went for had 3 indian engineers hosting the meeting. They could barely speak english, but they all have similar last names meaning they are likely from the same area in india. I am guessing the hiring manager for that dept is from the same community in india. Every single job my madam had and still currently holding (even though healthcare, and one of the so called demand field) was through networking with fellow naijas in the same field.

So my people, let us try and network as much as possible. Try to build relationship with people in your chosen field. A recommendation from them can get you a good job. To build your network, try bridging programs, co-op programs in schools, linkedin, churches, mosques, temples, events e.t.c
Let us copy the Indians. As Nigerians, let us help each other if we can. If and when we get to a position of authority in Canada, let us help our brothers and sisters out. Also, if you believe in Yahwah, Allah or your local God, pray before going for that interview so that God can touch the heart of that subtle racist that might want to be in your way or make him/her fall sick on the day of the interview. Ask for God's favour to go with you.

God bless you ....i like your openness....from my observation is that the fear of poverty make us in Nigeria to accumulate money, houses etc but we are not living we just there the develop world mindset is different from Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 5:24pm On Dec 19, 2017
Deebay:

Thanks so much. We just got our ppr last night so now it full power. Lol. I have just been smiling since, to scream sef no gree come.
Please what airline can you advise, checking out Ethiopian. Also like how many hours do I need for landing formalities before boarding to edmonton. Thanks
Your choice of airline will only be determined by your pocket size or how much u r willing to spend on flight against d level of comfort u desire through d journey. We used Royal air maroc and it wasn't bad. Had a 9hr layover at Montreal airport and that was enough to complete our landing formalities. Anything up to 3hours will be fine for the landing.

Congratulations on your PPR. I really share in your excitement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 6:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
I wonder why it's taking that long... i know someone that got approved yesterday after just 3 weeks of passport delivery.

It is well...

esosa4real:

Wawu! Maybe this week

I am 35days now!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 6:22pm On Dec 19, 2017
Wow! Big congrats @Free radical! Your story is really inspiring. Hubby has been singing Edmonton since but I've been more inclined to Calgary/Regina, this is making me have a re-think. Thanks for sharing! Pls, which areas are cool in Edmonton? I.e Safe, with good elementary/preschools in their environs.

@Debbiejosh, oto 3days, glad to see you on the thread, wld pm you.Forgot your moniker and kept referring to you as physiobabe lols.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 7:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
Guys

My CIC account just got updated to approved. Check yours.

Hopefully PUM will come in later or tomorrow

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 7:23pm On Dec 19, 2017
salford1:

They arrive seperately usually. The ones that are ready would be sent. Others that need correction might be delayed or need to be sent back to them.

Lol.

Thanks. Following the tracker, mine was approved on 25th of November and still yet to receive it. Will do them a mail.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Virt: 7:33pm On Dec 19, 2017
@maternal, giving God the deserved thanks and honor in seeing us through good and difficult times is not a naija thing but a personal thing. I just hope people don't get to Canada where things seem to work and feel no need to reverence God again. Without Him, we are nothing both in Naija or Canada or anywhere else in the world. This is just my thought. Cheers!!

maternal:

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 8:09pm On Dec 19, 2017
When did you submit your passports pls?

CAstruggle:
Guys

My CIC account just got updated to approved. Check yours.

Hopefully PUM will come in later or tomorrow
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2017
Virt:
@maternal, giving God the deserved thanks and honor in seeing us through good and difficult times is not a naija thing but a personal thing. I just hope people don't get to Canada where things seem to work and feel no need to reverence God again. Without Him, we are nothing both in Naija or Canada or anywhere else in the world. This is just my thought. Cheers!!

Please understand Maternal. He's not saying you should not give God glory but in naija when someone works hard and prepares well, it should be properly acknowledged. The reason is simple. When you say "na God", a lazy person will sit on their arse and expect magic. Heavens only helps those who help themselves. So please while we reverence God, the Alpha and Omega, also hint at the hard work, discipline, perseverance and all required for success. Indeed, chance God favors the prepared mind.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 8:42pm On Dec 19, 2017
TEECANN:

Bro @maternal,

Please what's the reason behind your statement at the bolded above? Just curious to learn.

Thanks.

The gov't of Canada spends millions of dollars each year to help bridge immigrants into the system so they can become successful. A good amount don't use it. A lot don't even take sound advice from knowledgeable people on the ground.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 9:09pm On Dec 19, 2017
maternal:

The gov't of Canada spends millions of dollars each year to help bridge immigrants into the system so they can become successful. A good amount don't use it. A lot don't even take sound advice from knowledgeable people on the ground.

This is someone who knows what he is talking about. Very true

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 9:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
boldinc:
When did you submit your passports pls?

13th November

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 9:42pm On Dec 19, 2017
TheCongo2:

This is someone who knows what he is talking about. Very true

Elder long time no see. Hope you are doing great.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2017
vascey:

Elder long time no see. Hope you are doing great.

Lol... iI am still around but this thread seems to be moving at a very fast rate. It is a bit hard for me to read every single post. Thanks for your concerns
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
TheCongo2:

Lol... iI am still around but this thread seems to be moving at a very fast rate. It is a bit hard for me to read every single post. Thanks for your concerns

Good evening TheCongo2. I am so glad to see you here again. I have been looking forward to seeing you back as I recall you responded to someone on London a loooong while back. I have sent you a PM please. I will appreciate your insights on London. Thank you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 10:41pm On Dec 19, 2017
Bsbabe:

Good evening TheCongo2. I am so glad to see you here again. I have been looking forward to seeing you back as I recall you responded to someone on London a loooong while back. I have sent you a PM please. I will appreciate your insights on London. Thank you!

I am deeply sorry I cant access the messages sent to me via pm. When I first opened my Nairaland account, I may have used a temporary email address.
I have been trying to associate my current email address to my nairaland account but to not avail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.