Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983539 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nozzle(m): 12:12pm On Dec 21, 2017
einsteino:

I wouldnt know. I know for sure that USD cards work and the equivalent in CAD is deducted from its balance. I suggest that you confirm you have sufficient balance and the card has been enabled for transactions, if everything checks out, contact your bank/issuer. Last resort, try another card.

caon:
OK thanks but when I did d application was declined.y is that

Hey caon,
I think cic online services is having issues with our dollar cards, I had similar issues paying for rprf last week, it gave me a transaction error message everytime. I had to use my naira Mastercard eventually. I think you should do the same.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nozzle(m): 12:13pm On Dec 21, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 21, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Please who has an idea where one can get a decent(used) car for 4 or 5 thousand dollars
I need good deals Biko @blackbuddy @salford @salford1 and other gurus come and epp me
Canadian nurse do you live in Edmonton? If you do I can get you good cars within that range
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 3:44pm On Dec 21, 2017
Binutiri:
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I have been observing this thread for over 12 month without any comment but today i want too open our eyes to opportunities.
1. As a permanent residence you can start a company. Care company, cleaning company and many more.
2. IF you are not financial capable . I advice you ti look for health support worker Jobs it is everywhere. Plus you can do the course for just 6month and start making income.
3. Grab your computer and search at least 100 Jobs a day.
Dont Wait to be boss or proffessional do Any job to have the know about the work ethnics in canada

Hello Binutiri, please can you share more insight about this health support worker jobs and how to do the course. Is it possible to do it from Nigeria. Can you share the link please? Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2017
Driving through the ajegunle of Regina. Its -17 but with the wind, feels like -26. We have so far enjoyed a warm december until it started dropping low about 2days ago.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 5:19pm On Dec 21, 2017
salford1:
Driving through the ajegunle of Regina. Its -17 but with the wind, feels like -26. We have so far enjoyed a warm december until it started dropping low about 2days ago.

See as AJ be like Ikoyi. grin

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 5:22pm On Dec 21, 2017
Lol... My thots exactly.

SlowlybtSurely:

See as AJ be like Ikoyi. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 5:24pm On Dec 21, 2017
salford1:

This "Ajegunle" makes sense grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2017
Interesting AZeD1. Thank you for the heads up. Did you state the exact role you were looking for in your post or just a general post like looking for a job?

AZeD1:
Also do not be afraid to try something different. I got my job via Reddit.
I posted my resume on Ottawas subreddit but removed all identifying details.

My present company was planning to hire in January but after seeing my resume ( no need to put out an advert or screen so many candidates) the CEO got in touch, and the rest is history.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:05pm On Dec 21, 2017
Bsbabe:

Ok thank you. Is it ok to drop an email address here so you can contact me? As I can’t ask you to share your personal email address on a public forum.

Sorry for the delay. You can reach me at TheCongo2017@gmail.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 6:29pm On Dec 21, 2017
salford1:

Did you just say Ajegunle?This place OK ooo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 6:44pm On Dec 21, 2017
salford1:

@Salford1, Nice to see Regina's "ajegunle" like our Burdillon.... grin grin

Nice also to know you are around Regina, SK.

1. Can you kindly give your impression of availability of professional jobs in Saskatchewan generally (finance, if you re in the know) and average cost of apartments ) (2BDR) especially in Saskatoon (which is not far from Regina)?

2. How easy is the driver licensing process? (Can Naija driver license be used temporarily before applying for Sask license?)

3. How is easy is settling in the province generally?

Thanks bro.

It's surely ending in praise IJN!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 7:09pm On Dec 21, 2017
rainazoe:
Interesting AZeD1. Thank you for the heads up. Did you state the exact role you were looking for in your post or just a general post like looking for a job?

The role I was looking for was the title of my post. I also wrote about things I have done in search of a job and I asked them to critique my resume.

In my experience, once you show people you've taken the pain to start something/ do your research, they would be more willing to help.

My advice is to use all available means. Sign up for LinkedIn premium, you get one month trial.
Use that to find companies you are interested in and send their recruiters mail.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ray78: 8:32pm On Dec 21, 2017
Hello,Has anyone registered with CanPrep here?and got a job before arrival?I want to register with them but they declined because i have less than 8 weeks left before departing Nigeria?I have had to now extend my date of arrival just to fit in with CanPreps schedule.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 9:37pm On Dec 21, 2017
boldinc:
When did you submit your passports pls?

November 13th

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coolhayor: 10:56pm On Dec 21, 2017
@blackbuddy @staronthemoon & other landed seniors pls what is ur take on Hamilton, Ontario. How is city like jobwise, rent, kids etc. I know u may not have all d andwers but i need as much as I can get. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by crazyinlove: 11:05pm On Dec 21, 2017
Hi guys,

Once you get PUM, please what are the required documents that DHL needs to pick up the passports from Accra.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:50am On Dec 22, 2017
crazyinlove:
Hi guys,

Once you get PUM, please what are the required documents that DHL needs to pick up the passports from Accra.

Thanks

Hi, you can give DHL authority to pick up your passports and a copy of the pick up mail.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 4:10am On Dec 22, 2017
You should be able to get within $500 - $600. A good room in a shared apartment. I got my place for $550, here in Westwood area Mississauga.

Try kijij.ca.

But to be honest with you it is easier to find a temp accomodation of $20-30 per night on airbnb from Nigeria than to get a room on Kijiji. Calling the landlord or texting seems to work best. Unless you have someone that can help you to do that. Most of the landlords will usually have loads of questions. Some will even want to see your face grin . I am not trying to discourage you though.

ray78:
Hello guys,i'm due to arrive Canada(Toronto) by January ending/early February.I'm also just registering with CanPrep for assitance in my job prep and search.I'm choosing Toronto because of its opportunities especially in financial services which i hope to work in.However,i'm trying to get accomodation either in Toronto or its outskirts-Missisiauga,Brampton etc most prefarably a spare room going for between $450-600 per month.Does anyone here have any contacts that can offer me such?Regards

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 4:36am On Dec 22, 2017
Thank you guys.

I have finally sought out the SIN issue.

The latest is that I moved from my airbnb room to a new place I found on kijiji here in Mississauga.

I have discovered that my profession( Field Maintenance Engineer [Telco]) is most similar to Field technician roles here. That is a bad news because most of the Field technician jobs here are low paying jobs. The jobs seem to be available but wtf. I attended Bell interview just this last week and I was disappointed when the pay was discussed. Even though I failed the interview due to driving test, I appreciate the experience. I was asked to come back for the driving test again when I have my Ontario G2 Licence. Lol
After Bell, I got about 2 more interviews. I skipped 1 of them because although it's Field Technician role, the pay to me, is not worth it.
May be it's ego, maybe it's not. I didn't take those jobs because I cannot be doing outdoor field work in this cryogenic weather for such pay. I cannot come and kill myself.
Well, I started working in a company this Monday. To me it's more of a survival job. The pay is $13.50/hr. The work is an 100% indoor job and it is not totally parallel with my field. What I do on most days on my new job is to check if the Returned products (phones+tabs) are working fine. It's a 3 month contract job, so I am still looking.
I am still brainstorming on my Canadian professional career. It will end in praises.

God Bless

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:45am On Dec 22, 2017
coolhayor:
@blackbuddy @staronthemoon & other landed seniors pls what is ur take on Hamilton, Ontario. How is city like jobwise, rent, kids etc. I know u may not have all d andwers but i need as much as I can get. Thanks

Hi, Hamilton is a nice, small and younger city and a manufacturing hub especially for steel production. Some steel production plants are located including one owned by Arcelor Mittal, world's largest steel producer. If you have a blue collar background in manufacturing, you could consider settling there.

You can use this link to search for different spec of cars in Hamilton to get likely prices, https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/gta-greater-toronto-area/c174l1700272

This link will help you get started in looking at accommodation options in Hamilton, https://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-condos/hamilton/c37l80014

Here's a link to the elementary schools in Hamilton, http://www.hwdsb.on.ca/elementary/schools/

You can do school comparison here, http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/elementary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx

All the best ahead.

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:48am On Dec 22, 2017
DatechMan:
Thank you guys.

The latest is that I moved from my airbnb room to a new place I found on kijiji here in Mississauga.

I have discovered that my profession( Field Maintenance Engineer [Telco]) is most similar to Field technician roles here. That is a bad news because most of the Field technician jobs here are low paying jobs. The jobs seem to be available but wtf. I attended Bell interview just this last week and I was disappointed when the pay was discussed. Even though I failed the interview due to driving test, I appreciate the experience. I was asked to come back for the driving test again when I have my Ontario G2 Licence. Lol
After Bell, I got about 2 more interviews. I skipped 1 of them because although it's Field Technician role, the pay to me, is not worth it.
May be it's ego, maybe it's not. I didn't take those jobs because I cannot be doing outdoor field work in this cryogenic weather for such pay. I cannot come and kill myself.
Well, I started working in a company this Monday. To me it's more of a survival job. The pay is $13.50/hr. The work is an 100% indoor job and it is not totally parallel with my field. What I do on most days on my new job is to check if the Returned products (phones+tabs) are working fine. It's a 3 month contract job, so I am still looking.
I am still brainstorming on my Canadian professional career. It will end in praises.

God Bless

That's a great attitude you have, to count this point as a stepping stone. Please keep your positive attitude up, the positivity you're generating will lead you to your dreams as you work with focus. God bless sir.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 5:05am On Dec 22, 2017
Very Nice bro. Makes sense. You will definitely get what you are looking for after this contract ends. See you in Missisauga.

DatechMan:
Thank you guys.

God Bless

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:07am On Dec 22, 2017
TEECANN:

@Salford1, Nice to see Regina's "ajegunle" like our Burdillon.... grin grin

Nice also to know you are around Regina, SK.

1. Can you kindly give your impression of availability of professional jobs in Saskatchewan generally (finance, if you re in the know) and average cost of apartments ) (2BDR) especially in Saskatoon (which is not far from Regina)?

2. How easy is the driver licensing process? (Can Naija driver license be used temporarily before applying for Sask license?)

3. How is easy is settling in the province generally?

Thanks bro.

It's surely ending in praise IJN!
There are professional jobs in saskatchewan. Not as much as bigger cities though, but lots of government jobs as most businesses here are handled by gov..mobile phone, car insurance, water, electricity e.t.c
It would be best to carry out a research on indeed to check job availability in your field.

Cost of a 2bedroom varies usually depending on how new the apartment is, if utilities are included or not and depending on location in the city for condos, budget $850 to $1200. Townhouse, $1200 to $1500. Basement, $750 to $950. These estimates are for saskatoon/regina. It is cheaper in other smaller cities. There are exceptions though in case the price of oil picks up, cost of renting would shoot up in small oil cities costing more than living in Regina or Saskatoon. Sask has the next largest oil reserve in Canada after Alberta. Agriculture is also big here, so the province weathered the oil glut better than Alberta

Your naija licence would last only 3 months i believe after which you have to get a sask license. It is easier to get license in sask and insurance is cheaper. Subsidized by gov. They also dont have a driving test to progress from basic license to advance.

It is easy to settle just as other province. Insurance and phone contracts are very cheap here though. Compared to neigbouring provinces, one could save around $100 bucks or more a month on these two alone.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:20am On Dec 22, 2017
DatechMan:
Thank you guys.

God Bless
Maybe cos its telco. In the electrical industry, field tech roles pay like crazy with a massive amount of overtime (double pay). Electrician, electrical eng or elec eng tech.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:22am On Dec 22, 2017
@salford1, i was a lil surprised to see that it didn't snow in Regina as we are buried in the white stuff on this end.
@datechman, i admire your spirit. It is actually worth considering the weather while deciding to take on jobs. This winter is not for the faint hearted. I had to go for a meeting today at a place that's usually a 35-40 min drive from where I live but with the snow accumulation, I chose not to drive and took the transit. It took me an hour and a half. Let's just say winter is very different when you have to stand waiting for a bus or the c train. I can't even imagine how it would be if one has to work a job that involves being outside in the cold.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 5:28am On Dec 22, 2017
vcole:
@salford1, i was a lil surprised to see that it didn't snow in Regina as we are buried in the white stuff on this end.
@datechman, i admire your spirit. It is actually worth considering the weather while deciding to take on jobs. This winter is not for the faint hearted. I had to go for a meeting today at a place that's usually a 35-40 min drive from where I live but with the snow accumulation, I chose not to drive and took the transit. It took me an hour and a half. Let's just say winter is very different when you have to stand waiting for a bus or the c train. I can't even imagine how it would be if one has to work a job that involves being outside in the cold.
I can relate.
Been taking 2 buses to my workplace. Let someone not come and die. Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:31am On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

There are professional jobs in saskatchewan. Not as much as bigger cities though, but lots of government jobs as most businesses here are handled by gov..mobile phone, car insurance, water, electricity e.t.c
It would be best to carry out a research on indeed to check job availability in your field.

Cost of a 2bedroom varies usually depending on how new the apartment is, if utilities are included or not and depending on location in the city for condos, budget $850 to $1200. Townhouse, $1200 to $1500. Basement, $750 to $950. These estimates are for saskatoon/regina. It is cheaper in other smaller cities. There are exceptions though in case the price of oil picks up, cost of renting would shoot up in small oil cities costing more than living in Regina or Saskatoon. Sask has the next largest oil reserve in Canada after Alberta. Agriculture is also big here, so the province weathered the oil glut better than Alberta

Your naija licence would last only 3 months i believe after which you have to get a sask license. It is easier to get license in sask and insurance is cheaper. Subsidized by gov. They also dont have a driving test to progress from basic license to advance.

It is easy to settle just as other province.

So with a naija license, with 2 plus years of experience, you can trade your naija license for a full sask one ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 5:32am On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

Maybe cos its telco. In the electrical industry, field tech roles pay like crazy with a massive amount of overtime (double pay). Electrician, electrical eng or elec eng tech.

I am thinking of switching careers or bridging.
Telco Engineers here do the design, planning and stuffs.
Telco field guys here are not paid well.
Any telco person here? Lets brainstorm together.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 6:59am On Dec 22, 2017
Nozzle:

Hey caon,
I think cic online services is having issues with our dollar cards, I had similar issues paying for rprf last week, it gave me a transaction error message everytime. I had to use my naira Mastercard eventually. I think you should do the same.

oh. it should be a recent development then. thanks for pointing it out. I woud have thought it had to be peculiar to him.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:02am On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

pls why is this equivalent to AJ? is it in terms of infrastructure, architecture, class of folks who typically reside there, or crime rate?

i am trying to see if it would be a bad idea to perhaps start off from a neighborhood such as this when landing, to make considerable savings in rent

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 7:08am On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

It is easy to settle just as other province.

Thank you for the detailed response.

Did you buy your first car whilst holding your naija license? It is possible?
What's your experience with the dealership? Did the dealership ask for a Sask Driver license before concluding the car purchasing transaction with you?

Heard insurance cost is higher for the first time Sask Driver and also someone with an older year model used car? How true is this and what year model will you advice to go for with a decent budget of 4k to 5k?

Thanks for your time. Highly appreciated.

It will end in praise IJN!

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.