Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984977 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 5:21pm On Dec 24, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

monthly expenditures? Then why did CIC propose far less amount of money as POF ?

Ok, let's do this in naira.
2500*290=725k/ Month.

Jesus have mercy. angry angry cheesy

The amount is not less o. For a family of 4 I think CIC says you should have 22,603CAD which is N6,554,870. With his own monthly expenses of 2500 in 6 months that will be N4,350,000 which is less than the amount CIC mandates

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by otokx(m): 5:23pm On Dec 24, 2017
sleekchic:

Thanks for your comments. I asked this because I got a lil scared when a friend over there was telling me how some white people won't want to sit beside you on the bus. I mean, it's fine if they don't want to sit beside me because I'm black as long as it doesn't turn to anything violent. They can keep standing.

Thanks again. I feel a little better. I think I shouldn't pay any mind to it so that it won't be all I see when I get there.

Happens a lot in the UK midlands

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:06pm On Dec 24, 2017
yettyopy:

Please note that for childcare it varies on family income as stated after filing tax. I pay 525 monthly with government subsidy . I also have a friend that just moved here and pays $0 cos she just started working. With child care it's important to note that there is always a wait list with govt subsidy so try as much as possible to get on the list asap. Cos I had to wait for 4 5 months to get approved.
does the child care subsidy pay all of your child care fees where you live? It doesn't on my end. It pays a portion and what you get approved for is dependent on your income. There is also no waiting list here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:07pm On Dec 24, 2017
sleekchic:

Thank you so much, we are actually still trying to decide btw Calgary and Edmonton. Still doing research on the best one for Occupational health and safety jobs for hubby and HR jobs for me. We already have plans of each of us getting diplomas soon after we get there because we are both changing career paths entirely and we have no experience in those fields yet just certifications so far. He is a doctor here but e don tire .
you're welcome. Lol! I can relate @ e don tire.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:20pm On Dec 24, 2017
sleekchic:

Thanks for your comments. I asked this because I got a lil scared when a friend over there was telling me how some white people won't want to sit beside you on the bus. I mean, it's fine if they don't want to sit beside me because I'm black as long as it doesn't turn to anything violent. They can keep standing.

Thanks again. I feel a little better. I think I shouldn't pay any mind to it so that it won't be all I see when I get there.

Perhaps your friend smelled ? I use to do this to people a lot when I used public transport. When you start getting passed on for jobs or promotions while in the job, you'll wish a white person not sitting beside you would be the most racism you'll experience here.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Deebay: 7:14pm On Dec 24, 2017
vcole:
does the child care subsidy pay all of your child care fees where you live? It doesn't on my end. It pays a portion and what you get approved for is dependent on your income. There is also no waiting list here.
Pls I don't understand how this works. I have read on cic website but still don't get. How will it be calculated for newly landed immigrants ie what do do need to use in applying ? Must one get a job before such subsidy can be applied for? What if the child is in grade one will such subsidy still b paid? Will such subsidy be given cash or how?
Pls no mind my plenty questions, I am just in the planning phase. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Deebay: 7:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
Also how do Edmonton and Calgary differ? Just help me equate it to any naija city for better understanding Researching and stuck between the two. Pls landed seniors help me out. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 7:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
salford1:

This question always comes up in all travel threads on nairaland. Is there racism or have you experienced racism in Australia or Canada or the US or the UK?

Many incidents are unreported, however; good news is that racist or prejudice guys are greatly outnumbered by liberal minded folks. It is also important to note that to grow your career in this country or any advanced country in the world, try not to think of such things like racism.Try to get such thoughts out of your head. If you have your brain messed up with thoughts of racism/prejudice, you would seriously limit yourself and achieve nothing.
If you overcame tribalism in Nigeria, then you would overcome any racism or prejudice you might encounter in a developed country.

Gbam...word!!!

Our tribalism in naija has no "part 2" in any other country of the world ooo. True word that if you can whether the hydra headed tribalistic bias of a country like Nigeria, any racist card shown you in a developed country is child play.

Hahaaa, may God save Nigeria and the upcoming young generation (we re worse of the lot), The advent of the internet now made things totally messy! #ThingsFallApart

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 7:22pm On Dec 24, 2017
sleekchic:
Any question that has been on my mind to ask is if anyone has experienced any form of racism since you landed. Please share your experience.

Over here there is a notion of subtle racism. The Federal and provincial gouvernements had published materials online explaining what racism or discrimination is and what you can do if you believe you have been a victim of racism or discrimination.

If you believe you have been mistreated on account of your race, religion, gender, disability, marital status at your job or at a bank or any company providing services to the public, you can lodge a complain either with the Canadian human rights commission or your provincial human rights commission. In most cases you have a time frame of 1 year to lodge your complaint from the time of the incident. The human rights commission will investigate the matter. If your case has merit, the commission will transfer the case to the tribunal for trial.

Not every instances of unfair treatment will be perceived as racist by the human right tribunal. On the other hand, a simingly innoncent incident may be ruled as racist by the commission and the tribunal. That is the reason why racist jokes are strictly prohibated by employers.

Adding to that, the Canadian human rights commission take also into account cases of mistreatment between members of the same race. If you believe a nigerian who is your boss or who represent a company that provides services to the public had mistreated you because of your tribe, you can lodge your complaint with the commission. That is why a black person calling another black the n word will be ruled as racism before the human rights commission and tribunal

The misconceptions is that because a manager or president of a company is black, a claim of racism against that company by a black person wont stand before the human rights commission or tribunal.
Conversely, the commission doesnt accept the "I am not a racist because I have black friends" argument that can be used by a white person.

Anyway, there are also cases where people of color have been accused of racism by white people before the commission. So, the Canadian human rights commission protect everyone

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:34pm On Dec 24, 2017
Deebay:
Also how do Edmonton and Calgary differ? Just help me equate it to any naija city for better understanding Researching and stuck between the two. Pls landed seniors help me out. Thanks
The closest analogy I can think off would be if Rivers and Lagos were both cities in the same state.
Lagos = Calgary
Rivers = Edmonton

Both have similar population though.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 7:53pm On Dec 24, 2017
TheCongo2:

Over here there is a notion of subtle racism. The Federal and provincial gouvernement had published materials online explaining what racism is and what you can do if you believe you have been a victim of racism.

If you believe you have been mistreated on account of your race, religion, gender, disability at your job or at a bank or any company providing services to the public, you can lodge a complain either with the Canadian human rights commission or your provincial human rights commission. In most cases you have a time frame of 1 year to lodge your complaint from the time of the incident. The human rights commission will investigate the matter. If your case has merit, the commission will transfer the case to the tribunal for trial.

Thank you very much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 7:54pm On Dec 24, 2017
maternal:

[b]Perhaps your friend smelled ? [/b]I use to do this to people a lot when I used public transport. When you start getting passed on for jobs or promotions while in the job, you'll wish a white person not sitting beside you would be the most racism you'll experience here.

Lol, I doubt that
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 7:56pm On Dec 24, 2017
salford1:

The closest analogy I can think off would be if Rivers and Lagos were both cities in the same state.
Lagos = Calgary
Rivers = Edmonton

Thank you, but how about if you were to compare them with different parts of Lagos. Which of them would be Lagos Island and which would be mainland. Or like Marina and Surulere for instance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
salford1:

Lagos = Calgary
Rivers = Edmonton

Lol. Calgary cannot be Lagos. Haba. Toronto = Lagos.

Calgary is more like Port Harcourt, Edmonton is Owerri. grin

But a better comparison would be Calgary is Calabar, Edmonton is Uyo. If Calabar and Uyo were in same State.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:19pm On Dec 24, 2017
Vcole is this your first winter in Canada? Lol you and this your car stories

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:38pm On Dec 24, 2017
Canadianfly:

Lol. Calgary cannot be Lagos. Haba. Toronto = Lagos.

Calgary is more like Port Harcourt, Edmonton is Owerri. grin

But a better comparison would be Calgary is Calabar, Edmonton is Uyo. If Calabar and Uyo were in same State.
I chose the analogy with jobs and economy in mind...lol
Alberta's economy is highly dependent on oil.

Calgary: Head offices of Oil companies. (similar to lag).
Edmonton: Operations (Oil companies and servicing firms) and government jobs.

I have never been to akwa ibom though..lol
your analogy might be best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 10:07pm On Dec 24, 2017
vcole:

@vcole, I live in Toronto so yes there is always a wait list for both subsidy and also at the daycares. I guess it differs with each province .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:57am On Dec 25, 2017
yettyopy:

Please note that for childcare it varies on family income as stated after filing tax. I pay 525 monthly with government subsidy . I also have a friend that just moved here and pays $0 cos she just started working. With child care it's important to note that there is always a wait list with govt subsidy so try as much as possible to get on the list asap. Cos I had to wait for 4 5 months to get approved.

How do you get on the wait list? Do you just apply to the nearest daycare or any one at all?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 8:26am On Dec 25, 2017
sleekchic:

Thank you so much. No I'm not scared. It's better to be well prepared. For the grocery shopping do you go to African stores or regular Canadian ones?
Yup, we shop from all of the above but majorly d Canadian superstores @vcole mentioned

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 8:26am On Dec 25, 2017
XX01:

Sorry if I missed it earlier, what town do you live in?
Edmonton
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 8:38am On Dec 25, 2017
Merry Christmas to all of you my family.

Compliment of the season to you and your family.

It is surely ending in praise IJN in spite of anything and everything!

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by moyinoluwa1: 9:04am On Dec 25, 2017
40manlappy:

You can still try to contact IOM. I know a few people that were allowed to attend sessions other than their own and at least two that successfully "gatecrashed".

When there is a will, there is a way....
Thank you. I will contact IOM
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mrjaypee: 12:50pm On Dec 25, 2017
40manlappy:
*modified
Hi. I have registered on the planning for canada website for my spouse and i. I received an email from no reply but my spouse hasnt received. We are interested in the ibadan session. We reside in a neighbouring state. Pls how many hours is a seesion cos we planning to return to ondo state the same day.thanks .season greetings.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 25, 2017
Thank you for this info. As someone who has both accounting experience with ACCA and statistics this is very useful. And considering that accounting is a regulated field yet big data analytics isn't, I think my best bet at getting a job fairly quickly that side would be to go the statistics route. And I suspect the data jobs pay higher than the accounting ones. is that masters a must or you can do without it

czaratwork:

Good question.

That's the rave of the moment field in IT. Companies want to make informed decision based on the analysis of the big data they have within the organisation.

The role of the data analyst is to analyse such data and present to managament to help them know which product line to close down and which to channel their resources to for profit optimization.

That's the technology facebook deploys to tell you which of your posts has the highest number of likes. There are known tools to do the analysis for you. My Inlaw who is an IT person and knows how crazy i was about ITSEC showed me a demo on how data is analysed using a dummy data from the product he markets in Nigeria and told me that i have to think about this field as it is emerging and there are opportunities in it. That did not disuade me from my ITSEC dream.

I had always wanted to do a masters in ITSEC but I am not sure anymore having been on ground and studied the market here. I am having a rethink.

The good thing is that you dont have to have an IT background to do well in this field. Finance, Statistics, Mathematics people are also in it. Once you have analytical skills, you are good to go. You also have to have presentation skills like powerpoint and be a super user of excel to thrive in this field.

Lets see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 25, 2017
sleekchic:

Lol. I was talking to a friend that recently migrated to England. He said the place is too quiet, nothing like getting to the bustop and hearing someone shouting "ketu Ojota mytwef" I guess Oyinbo people are just very conservative.
grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 2:14pm On Dec 25, 2017
czaratwork:

Good question.

That's the rave of the moment field in IT. Companies want to make informed decision based on the analysis of the big data they have within the organisation.

The role of the data analyst is to analyse such data and present to managament to help them know which product line to close down and which to channel their resources to for profit optimization.

That's the technology facebook deploys to tell you which of your posts has the highest number of likes. There are known tools to do the analysis for you. My Inlaw who is an IT person and knows how crazy i was about ITSEC showed me a demo on how data is analysed using a dummy data from the product he markets in Nigeria and told me that i have to think about this field as it is emerging and there are opportunities in it. That did not disuade me from my ITSEC dream.

I had always wanted to do a masters in ITSEC but I am not sure anymore having been on ground and studied the market here. I am having a rethink.

The good thing is that you dont have to have an IT background to do well in this field. Finance, Statistics, Mathematics people are also in it. Once you have analytical skills, you are good to go. You also have to have presentation skills like powerpoint and be a super user of excel to thrive in this field.

Lets see how it goes.

How did I miss this?

Good job. Been researching that field and it does look quite interesting. Thanks alot.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 4:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
TEECANN:
Merry Christmas to all of you my family.

Compliment of the season to you and your family.

It is surely ending in praise IJN in spite of anything and everything!

Same to you. This too shall pass. Whoever told me that i will be snowed in this Christmas by this time last year.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 4:43pm On Dec 25, 2017
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to allofus.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 4:51pm On Dec 25, 2017
solomonsny:
Thank you for this info. As someone who has both accounting experience with ACCA and statistics this is very useful. And considering that accounting is a regulated field yet big data analytics isn't, I think my best bet at getting a job fairly quickly that side would be to go the statistics route. And I suspect the data jobs pay higher than the accounting ones. is that masters a must or you can do without it

IT is all about skills. If you can show them you have the skills they need, they will take you. Bit then i have always heard that there is a ceiling over your head if you don't have their masters. Dont know how true that is.

I posted a link on ACCA 3day virtual conference here. One of the topics covered there is Analytics. You can listen to it and take it up from there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 25, 2017
Thank you for the reply. From the little research ive done, most of the analytics jobs are in Ontario which according to our elders has the highest cost of living and is not the best place to start from for new immigrants. How would you go about that such a situation?

In other news, was reading somewhere and saw this.... The summer of 2020 will see the unemployment rate in Canada drop to nearly zero percent as young workers entering the workforce fail to keep up with the elderly workers retiring by the thousands. Ontario, for example, will see 190,000 job positions go unfilled. Canada will have as many as 1.8 million jobs without the right quality of people to apply for them by 2030

If it's true then this Express Entry thing is just gonna gather more steam. Hope next year doesn't leave me behind.

czaratwork:

IT is all about skills. If you can show them you have the skills they need, they will take you. Bit then i have always heard that there is a ceiling over your head if you don't have their masters. Dont know how true that is.

I posted a link on ACCA 3day virtual conference here. One of the topics covered there is Analytics. You can listen to it and take it up from there.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 9:13pm On Dec 25, 2017
Nobody gree gimme xmas rice chop. No wahala. The chill wind here sef no be play.

Merry Xmas

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 10:04pm On Dec 25, 2017
Mrjaypee:

Hi. I have registered on the planning for canada website for my spouse and i. I received an email from no reply but my spouse hasnt received. We are interested in the ibadan session. We reside in a neighbouring state. Pls how many hours is a seesion cos we planning to return to ondo state the same day.thanks .season greetings.

The program is usually from 8am to 4pm. Check your inbox.

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.