Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,483 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (248) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1986026 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:34am On Mar 17, 2018
Guitarlife:
Good morning good people, is there someone on this thread that got married after ppr/copr and successfully added the spouse to their application and currently in Canada ?
I would appreciate some insight into how the process works. I am hoping to avoid spousal sponsorship therefore I am currently trying to get as much information that I'd need.

Thanks all.
You will have to contact your processing officer and inform them of your new status. They will tell you what to do. You will have to wait for a couple of months though for your spouses application to cons through.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 7:44am On Mar 17, 2018
themaestro212:
Hi guys. Here’s my Landing Experience

Flight
I travelled with Ethiopian Airlines from Nigeria on March 15. It was a 24 hour flight. First leg was from Nigeria to Ethiopia for 8 hours and then Ethiopia to Dublin for another 8 hours. At Dublin, we stopped to refuel for an hour before the final leg to Toronto for 7 hours 45mins.

The airline was good. Ethiopian allows 2 bags of 23kg each. They let you slide with an extra kg or 2...anything more than that will be rejected and you will have to shed the weight. I had issues with my baggage because I weighed it at home and it was the specified weight. Also, when I got to the airport, I weighed it again and it was still the specified weight. However, once I got on to the check-in counter, my bags were surprisingly overweight by about 4kg. I had to convert some of the suits in my bag to hand luggage which became really stressful. The plane we took on the first leg to Ethiopia was big and spacious with good leg space. If you have kids, you won’t have much trouble. Kids had enough space to play and sleeping was comfortable. We were served with one meal.

I need to get and load a Presto card for bus service. I also need to go back to the bank to deposit my dollars and wire the money from my Nigerian account.

Thank you for this post...its been long we had a visual and detailed post like this here. I pray you find all thay you desire in that land and may you be blessed beyond your wildest imaginations there. Cheers.

P.S> A few photos will be nice... cool

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 17, 2018
honey86:

You will have to contact your processing officer and inform them of your new status. They will tell you what to do. You will have to wait for a couple of months though for your spouses application to cons through.
Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seesaw: 7:59am On Mar 17, 2018
Morning people, I am new to this thread. got my Passport Request 2 weeks ago and waiting on PUM. I intend to land in August, in ontario please can any one assist with some information-

canadian cv format,

how to rent accomodation prearrival in greater toronto area as i do not have family there to stay with on arrival. NB: my family size is 4.

any toronto bound people around august so we can hook up or a whatz app group for nigerians

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caon: 8:43am On Mar 17, 2018
honey86:

hi honey86, pls how is Manitoba as a province as not much is said about the province.I need to know if there are job opportunities especially skilled jobs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 9:57am On Mar 17, 2018
Guys, kindly help clarify. 

I got a new passport before submitting my application post ITA because the old one had about 5 months to expire and i did not want to go through passport wahala later since i was getting for my kids at that time...and you know naija passport and paper or laminate scarcity could hit at anytime. 

Question:

Do i need to notify CIC about the new passport considering the one i submitted application with is different from the one i used Pre ITA.

Experienced inputs would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tollu: 9:59am On Mar 17, 2018
themaestro212:
Hi guys. Here’s my Landing Experience

That was a satisfying read smiley

Congratulations on landing and may we reap the good and blessings of the land.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 10:03am On Mar 17, 2018
seesaw:
Morning people, I am new to this thread. got my Passport Request 2 weeks ago and waiting on PUM. I intend to land in August, in ontario please can any one assist with some information-

canadian cv format,

how to rent accomodation prearrival in greater toronto area as i do not have family there to stay with on arrival. NB: my family size is 4.

any toronto bound people around august so we can hook up or a whatz app group for nigerians

Thank you

Congrats sir. Best for prearrival is airbnb. You can get some good deals for a week, 2 weeks, month or even a year stay though that's not adviced. One of the advantages is you can get a whole apartment (considering family size) already with utilities and co to ease your arrival. A lot of folks here went that route and my family (of four too) will do the same upon arrival. Just download the app from appstore or play store, register and search for spots available in the intended area and check for available dates close to your arrival time.

We are still waiting for PPR too and by God's Grace if time is good, we could do august or before august too.

Cheers!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by themaestro212: 10:17am On Mar 17, 2018
balogunsam:

Thank you for this post...its been long we had a visual and detailed post like this here. I pray you find all thay you desire in that land and may you be blessed beyond your wildest imaginations there. Cheers.

P.S> A few photos will be nice... cool

Amen. Thanks. I will upload a few pictures when I’m well rested.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by themaestro212: 10:31am On Mar 17, 2018
seesaw:

canadian cv format,

Thank you

It’s a bit difficult (and personally, unadvisable) to get permanent accommodation before you land. This is my opinion o. I tried to get a place through kijiji, easyroommates etc but I felt I was not getting the full picture of what I was opting for. You will actually find a lot of places online but I personally have trust issues :’). So here are the options; (1) you can select a couple of houses on kijiji etc and if you have a friend in Toronto, let them help you check it out to see if its fit to your taste. (2) This is what I did. I noted a few places on kijiji before arrival but I booked an airbnb for 2 weeks. While I’m at the airbnb, i will be going to inspect the selected places.

Also note, that most of these places want two to three months minimum stay. Some even want six months because you don’t have a credit history. lol.

As for Canadian CV format, just check online. You will find a couple of sample Canadian CVs. You will even find a good fit for the type of your area of specialization.

All the best.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by themaestro212: 12:42pm On Mar 17, 2018
caon:
welcome to canada .may Canada favour u.

Thank you. Amen.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 1:19pm On Mar 17, 2018
CONGRATS on your smooth landing. This is so insightful, thanks for sharing.

Pls are the 2bags allowed per adult? For example, if am travelling with my spouse, are we allowed to have 2 bags each making a total of 4 bags for our family of 4?

[quote author=themaestro212 post=65904882]Hi guys. Here’s my Landing Experience

Flight
I travelled with Ethiopian Airlines from Nigeria on March 15. It was a 24 hour flight. First leg was from Nigeria to Ethiopia for 8 hours and then Ethiopia to Dublin for another 8 hours. At Dublin, we stopped to refuel for an hour before the final leg to Toronto for 7 hours 45mins.

The airline was good. Ethiopian allows 2 bags of 23kg each. They let you slide with an extra kg or 2...anything more than that will be rejected and you will have to shed the weight. I had issues with my baggage because I weighed it at home and it was the specified weight. Also, when I got to the airport, I weighed it again and it was still the specified weight. However, once I got on to the check-in counter, my bags were surprisingly overweight by about 4kg. I had to convert some of the suits in my bag to hand luggage which became really stressful. The plane we took on the first leg to Ethiopia was big and spacious with good leg space. If you have kids, you won’t have much trouble. Kids had enough space to play and sleeping was comfortable. We were served with one meal.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 3:21pm On Mar 17, 2018
olajide21:

I hope that frozen car isn't yours? How often do people change their car battery in Canada?

Maybe in 10 years. My friend said she has not changed her battery in 10 years

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 3:25pm On Mar 17, 2018
Hi Folks,
Bn a while...what did I miss??
Salford, Maternal... Vcole....

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 3:26pm On Mar 17, 2018
JESUSisable:
CONGRATS on your smooth landing. This is so insightful, thanks for sharing.

Pls are the 2bags allowed per adult? For example, if am travelling with my spouse, are we allowed to have 2 bags each making a total of 4 bags for our family of 4?

Yes, it's two bags per person.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 4:31pm On Mar 17, 2018
AZeD1:

Yes, it's two bags per person.

Apologies for bothering, do you mean 46kg for me amd 46kg for my wife making 96kg allowance for both us.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 4:49pm On Mar 17, 2018
balogunsam:

Apologies for bothering, do you mean 46kg for me amd 46kg for my wife making 96kg allowance for both us.

Yes. The answers to these question are on Ethiopian airlines website under Baggage information. Read up for yourself. The same applies to all other airlines of choice. Always go to their site for baggage info.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 5:32pm On Mar 17, 2018
balogunsam:

Yes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TBDL: 6:56pm On Mar 17, 2018

I got a Fido SIM card at the Square One Mall in Mississauga. I have to say at this point that Canadian mobile phone service is quite expensive. My package was CAD55 monthly for unlimited Canada wide calls and texts and 2GB data.

I bought a few winter clothes to add to the ones I had bought in Nigeria. Jackets were averagely CAD35 but depends on the store you’re buying from. I also went to Burger King to eat while waiting for 3pm. I got an Uber from there to my Airbnb in Brampton for about CAD19.

---------------------------
Welcome to Canada @themaestro212.
I'm quite curious though, what store did you get jackets averaging $35? Cos the last I got a jacket at $105(sales price oh) at sportchek.
Althoug Im in calgary, I would love to know the name of the store.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by IamIye: 7:08pm On Mar 17, 2018
Hello, I sent you an email.

seesaw:

canadian cv format,

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:50pm On Mar 17, 2018
[quote author=TBDL post=65923358][/quote] was also surprised at the $35 cheesy. Na to pack go Toronto oh.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:51pm On Mar 17, 2018
Ballerz:
Hi Folks,
Bn a while...what did I miss??
Salford, Maternal... Vcole....
well, nothing much. cheesy how have you been?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by winter(f): 8:16pm On Mar 17, 2018
Hello Mummyjaygirls

I just sent you a pm...

MummyJaygirls:

Soon, it’s in d works
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TBDL: 8:23pm On Mar 17, 2018
vcole:
was also surprised at the $35 cheesy. Na to pack go Toronto oh.

haha, I'm telling you. grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 9:04pm On Mar 17, 2018

New Entrants Section
The room I was directed to had about 15 agents. There was a long queue. Typically, some of the agents would ask to submit your passport and CPR then direct you to sit while they verify your application, some others will do it fast while you stand. The officer that attended to me was very quick. She asked if I’m married, if i have kids and how much I’m traveling with. I told her USD2,500. She asked for address for PR Card. I gave her. She asked if I’d been convicted of any crime or refused admission to any country etc. After answering, she wrote my answers on the CPR and told me to sign on 3 different spots on each copy of the CPR. She welcomed me to Canada and directed me to Service Canada section. I was so excited. This all took about 5-7mins.

Hi themaestro, congrats once again.

Pls how where you able to convert your USD TO CAD? Did you do it at TD Bank or you got a more favorable exchange rate elsewhere?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lucious477: 12:22am On Mar 18, 2018
Landed seniors help I need your guidance! Thanks

Lucious477:
Hello All,

Please I need your guidance.

I am presently processing my Nigerian Drivers Licence. Due to the short time available before I travel to Canada, I may only get the Temporal Nigerian Drivers Licence (3 months validity) and the International Drivers Permit.

Please do you think I can use the International Drivers Permit, Temporal Nigerian Drivers Licence (3 months validity) and FRSC letter to process my Canadian Drivers Licence?

Kindly note that I intend to settle in Ontario and I have been driving for over 8 years in Nigeria (although just started processing a drivers licence).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:48am On Mar 18, 2018
Lucious477:

No you need a VALID Nigerian license.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Marvi4real: 3:39am On Mar 18, 2018
Please anyone that is Toronto bound, March ending or 1st week of April looking to share an apartment, please pm me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 3:44am On Mar 18, 2018
Ogundre:
Hello People,

Greetings from Toronto. I got in here 11 days ago, everything has been fine so far and hoping to get a job soon as i have done a telephone interview with a bank and I was told the second stage of telephone interview will hold next week.

Welcome to Canada Ogundre!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 3:45am On Mar 18, 2018
Ogundre:
Hello People,

Greetings from Toronto. I got in here 11 days ago, everything has been fine so far and hoping to get a job soon as i have done a telephone interview with a bank and I was told the second stage of telephone interview will hold next week.

Welcome to Canada!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 3:47am On Mar 18, 2018
Hello NL family. It has been a while I posted here. I landed in Ottawa mid-December and it has been a journey thus far.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 3:49am On Mar 18, 2018
Lucious477:

You need to have a valid license. If it is less than one year, prepare yourself for the G1 license. Also for those not able to get the FRSC letter before travelling, you can get a letter from the Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa for $50. Stress free.

10 Likes 10 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.