Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,501 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (249) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1985007 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 4:07am On Mar 18, 2018
Ottawa in pictures grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 4:19am On Mar 18, 2018
Pictures from Winterlude grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 4:23am On Mar 18, 2018
All made of ice!

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 4:32am On Mar 18, 2018
More pics of winterlude and downtown Ottawa

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 4:34am On Mar 18, 2018
Temidewale:

You have to link your PR application as soon as you land before you receive PR card.

Active assist subsidy is for residents of Ontario to enjoy recreational facilities like swimming etc, Brampton gives $275 credit per person * the No's of family members per year. Program differs by city. You can get information on it from the city's website

PR card doesn't have to be linked immediately you land. I know some who did not link and got their cards. I linked mine 7 weeks after landing and got my PR card one week after; exactly 8 weeks after landing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 4:42am On Mar 18, 2018
EglintonWest:
I am new here,wish I came across this site sooner, I have an issue and I need advise on the best action to take,I putting my application for PR on the 5th of December 2017, I got my PR through the CEC on the 18th of February 2018 but before that, I went back to Nigeria and I did a court wedding Dec 26, 2017 thinking after application, status change won't matter and I can sponsor my wife (grave mistake)whenever I get my PR. Got PPR request on the 3rd and out of fear of what might happen, I did not declare my status has changed (dumb move) .

Now I am thinking of sponsoring my wife to come but I am skeptical cos of the date on the marriage certificate (Dec 26) wont tally with my status as at when I got my PR (Feb 18), so am thinking if its a good idea to go ahead and sponsor her without minding the date or see if she can get in with student visa or if there is another way to change the date at the registry in Nigeria, bottom line is I need advise on whats best for me cos its giving me sleepless nights. I should have declared when I had the chance but that's past now I just need a solution, please help a brother out...

Have you landed? If you have not, it is better to inform them now that you are married. They will take back your COPR and cancel your immigrant visa, then ask for supporting documents for your spouse and updated POF. What I am not sure of is the penalty for not declaring it when submitting passport after PPR.

Nevertheless, as long as you have not landed in Canada, there is hope. The best time to inform CIC is now.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 5:00am On Mar 18, 2018
elbanks1:
Good day house.

Please who has travelled from Nigeria and landed with their passport having less than 6 months validity, or with a renewed passport. Please how did you do it?
Kindly share.

Don’t know if this has been answered but u can renew ur passport before traveling with ur visa on the old one and u r good to go

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 5:04am On Mar 18, 2018
EglintonWest:
I am new here,wish I came across this site sooner, I have an issue and I need advise on the best action to take,I putting my application for PR on the 5th of December 2017, I got my PR through the CEC on the 18th of February 2018 but before that, I went back to Nigeria and I did a court wedding Dec 26, 2017 thinking after application, status change won't matter and I can sponsor my wife (grave mistake)whenever I get my PR. Got PPR request on the 3rd and out of fear of what might happen, I did not declare my status has changed (dumb move) .

Now I am thinking of sponsoring my wife to come but I am skeptical cos of the date on the marriage certificate (Dec 26) wont tally with my status as at when I got my PR (Feb 18), so am thinking if its a good idea to go ahead and sponsor her without minding the date or see if she can get in with student visa or if there is another way to change the date at the registry in Nigeria, bottom line is I need advise on whats best for me cos its giving me sleepless nights. I should have declared when I had the chance but that's past now I just need a solution, please help a brother out...

Shebi it’s only court? For now it’s to apply for visiting visa, When u do the other 2 and have cert, u can sponsor her under spousal smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 9:24am On Mar 18, 2018
this sounds most plausible. rather than use court wedding certificate, you use white wedding docs since those have not been done yet. just means you have to go and throw a party for boys...invite us o...

MummyJaygirls:

Shebi it’s only court? For now it’s to apply for visiting visa, When u do the other 2 and have cert, u can sponsor her under spousal smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 9:36am On Mar 18, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

I don't get o. Will they be given another certificate for blessings of marriage.? Is the court one not legally binding?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lucious477: 10:48am On Mar 18, 2018
Feygbe:

AZeD1:

Thanks for your prompt response.

If I may ask, can a Temporal Nigerian Licence (3 months validity) be considered invalid, even if the owner has fully satisfied all requirements needed by the authority and his/her information registered in the database of FRSC?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 10:56am On Mar 18, 2018
Lucious477:

If I may ask, can a Temporal Nigerian Licence (3 months validity) be considered invalid, even if the owner has fully satisfied all requirements needed by the authority and his/her information registered in the database of FRSC?
The temporal licence is invalid.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lucious477: 11:47am On Mar 18, 2018
AZeD1:
Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 12:04pm On Mar 18, 2018
Lucious477:

You need the permanent one, not temporary one.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:08pm On Mar 18, 2018
Feygbe:
Ottawa in pictures grin

kiss kiss kiss

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Merovingian: 1:31pm On Mar 18, 2018
themaestro212:
Hi guys. Here’s my Landing Experience

Exit and Settling
I went to TD (Canada Trust) to open an account but I had dropped my CPR at the Airbnb, forgetfully, so I couldn’t open an account. You would need your CPR and Passport to get a new entrant package as the lady told me. She set an appointment with me for 10am tomorrow when I will be going back to open the account.

I got a Fido SIM card at the Square One Mall in Mississauga. I have to say at this point that Canadian mobile phone service is quite expensive. My package was CAD55 monthly for unlimited Canada wide calls and texts and 2GB data.

Next Steps
I plan to look for a permanent place to stay in Downtown Toronto from next week as that is closer to my new office where I resume in April.

I need to get and load a Presto card for bus service. I also need to go back to the bank to deposit my dollars and wire the money from my Nigerian account.

Thanks themaestro212 for sharing this wonderful experience with the family here. I have a few questions about the text in bold.

1. Why did you choose TD as your bank and what is entrant package like? Is the entrant package different from this on their website (https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planning/life-events/new-to-canada/index.jsp)? I plan using RBC (http://www.rbc.com/newcomers/moving-to-canada-resident.html) but your response and rationale for TD may help in making a better decision and avoid t&c that can enslave for life smiley.

2. What was your rationale for Fido? Will 2GB be sufficient for new comers who will be heavily involved in online job research and posting or will a dedicated home wifi internet be advised?

3. Lastly, did you get your April job from naija and how did you go about it?

Thanks for your response.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:41pm On Mar 18, 2018
Feygbe, we never see your landing gist, na pictures you come dey show us angry grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by brickspumping: 2:33pm On Mar 18, 2018
Be careful of the date else you will NEVER be able to bring her in.
You would have admitted to something changing at the port of entry then.

Seek profession advice from immigration lawyers there brah.
EglintonWest:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 18, 2018
Dear All,
As to this phone plan thing, I know it seems fido and co are cheap, please for peace of mind, go with the major ones. I got unlimited nationwide call and text and 4 GB from Rogers for 45 CAD. Don't be scared of the major ones. Walk in and say you want a month to month plan and they'll give you something good. I know others who got same with Rogers.

18 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hiscules: 3:21pm On Mar 18, 2018
Canadianfly:
Feygbe, we never see your landing gist, na pictures you come dey show us angry grin
I tire for feygbe o

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by themaestro212: 3:57pm On Mar 18, 2018
Merovingian:

Thanks themaestro212 for sharing this wonderful experience with the family here. I have a few questions about the text in bold.

1. Why did you choose TD as your bank and what is entrant package like? Is the entrant package different from this on their website (https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planning/life-events/new-to-canada/index.jsp)? I plan using RBC (http://www.rbc.com/newcomers/moving-to-canada-resident.html) but your response and rationale for TD may help in making a better decision and avoid t&c that can enslave for life smiley.

2. What was your rationale for Fido? Will 2GB be sufficient for new comers who will be heavily involved in online job research and posting or will a dedicated home wifi internet be advised?

3. Lastly, did you get your April job from naija and how did you go about it?

Thanks for your response.

1. It’s totally based on what’s important to you. The Big 5 have all their advantages. I chose TD because they have better work hours. They’re open everyday of the week with longer hours than the other big 5. Considering that I still have financial obligations in Nigeria and might need to do dozens of transactions in my first few months here, I chose them. I might choose another Bank later but I’m starting with TD. And yes, the features of the Welcome to Canada package are on that website but there are more details to it that I won’t be able to type out. Oh...and TD offices are almost everywhere.

2. I chose Fido based on what the Sales Executive at the mobile store told me. Rogers was cheaper but he told me if I would be traveling a lot, I may not enjoy good service in some areas. I don’t know how true that is but I wasn’t going to take any chances because my job may require me to travel out of Toronto frequently.

3. Yes, I got it from Nigeria. LinkedIn is your friendwink I paid for the LinkedIn Premium service. Even though $29.99 is too much for what the service offers, at the point of searching for a job in another country, it’s not a luxury. With your 5 monthly InMails, you can message people who can land you a job, immediately. That’s not without a strong demonstration of your competencies, you convincing them that they need you and you are of much value to their organization. There are 2 ways you can use your InMails.
(1) Apply for an advertised job then find and follow up with the recruiter responsible for the posting, giving a brief but strong summary of your application/resume.
(2) If you’re looking for a Senior Management position (advertised or not), research on who you may be reporting to in that organization and sell yourself to the person.

My philosophy is “the worst you can get is a no.”. Nobody will crucify you for trying. Just shoot your shot.

60 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lucious477: 4:30pm On Mar 18, 2018
Feygbe:

You need the permanent one, not temporary one.
I'll work towards getting it sent to me when it's ready. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Damilare41: 4:35pm On Mar 18, 2018
I know an Ontario bound group but it's on telegram. Download the app and I could add you. Let me know via pm when you've downloaded telegram.

seesaw:
Morning people, I am new to this thread. got my Passport Request 2 weeks ago and waiting on PUM. I intend to land in August, in ontario please can any one assist with some information-

canadian cv format,

how to rent accomodation prearrival in greater toronto area as i do not have family there to stay with on arrival. NB: my family size is 4.

any toronto bound people around august so we can hook up or a whatz app group for nigerians

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Merovingian: 5:13pm On Mar 18, 2018
Thanks for the enlightenment. Your detail is apt and objective, please remember to share other updates when you complete your next steps. Godspeed

themaestro212:

My philosophy is “the worst you can get is a no.”. Nobody will crucify you for trying. Just shoot your shot.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 5:48pm On Mar 18, 2018
And you went into hiding just like that? Welcome. Post your landing experience joor.
Feygbe:
Hello NL family. It has been a while I posted here. I landed in Ottawa mid-December and it has been a journey thus far.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:02pm On Mar 18, 2018
themaestro212:
Hi guys.

I got a Fido SIM card at the Square One Mall in Mississauga. I have to say at this point that Canadian mobile phone service is quite expensive. My package was CAD55 monthly for unlimited Canada wide calls and texts and 2GB data.

I bought a few winter clothes to add to the ones I had bought in Nigeria. Jackets were averagely CAD35 but depends on the store you’re buying from. I also went to Burger King to eat while waiting for 3pm. I got an Uber from there to my Airbnb in Brampton for about CAD19.

Next Steps
I plan to look for a permanent place to stay in Downtown Toronto from next week as that is closer to my new office where I resume in April.

I need to get and load a Presto card for bus service. I also need to go back to the bank to deposit my dollars and wire the money from my Nigerian account.

That Square One has a bus terminal and you can get Presto from there or your nearest community center.

That same Fido store at Square One gave us same package of Fido for CAD45.

Where did you get winter coats for $35?

Welcome to Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 7:49pm On Mar 18, 2018
Feygbe:
Ottawa in pictures grin

Rideau Center

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 10:30pm On Mar 18, 2018
How do you carry the Egusi and Ogbono: is it grounded? is it just peeled? How do you preserve them and over what time range?

All landed can contribute please...

Thanks.

Temidewale:

Suggestions on things to bring
Things-
robb/ aboniki
Omorogun
Paddle/ igbako

Ori
Thread& needle
Food:
Garri
Elubo
Yam
Breans- picked& dried (you can put in oven for few minutes to kill all the pest)
LOTS of Seasoning- knorr, maggi star or any you like. Better crushed, because de harden up in the cold
Poundo yam
Palm oil
Frozen Ogi (if you or baby like it)
Cray fish, stock fish, smoked cat fish
Ogbono
Egusi
Pepper soup spice
Golden morn ( if the kids eat it)
Iru
Beans powder
You'll get noddles & Semo here.

I got the list above before moving here , you can add
Broom
Pack of blades
Wig for hair
Wig cap
Slippers
Under wears
And the little things you will buy easily in naija for small change, even, nail paint/cotton wool/ medicine like paracetamol, cough syrup etc/ Eba nylon etc

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 10:47pm On Mar 18, 2018
mclarry:
How do you carry the Egusi and Ogbono: is it grounded? is it just peeled? How do you preserve them and over what time range?

All landed can contribute please...

Thanks.

U can grind both, put in a ziplock and when you land transfer into a tight lid plastic then keep in your fridge. Just that ogbona gives a funny taste after a while.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 11:31pm On Mar 18, 2018
Many thanks for sharing.

QSola:

U can grind both, put in a ziplock and when you land transfer into a tight lid plastic then keep in your fridge. Just that ogbona gives a funny taste after a while.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 12:21am On Mar 19, 2018
Canadianfly:

No vex my sister grin I will share it soon.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 12:22am On Mar 19, 2018
Canadianfly:
No vex my sister grin I will share it soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.