Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980569 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 9:48am On Mar 27, 2018
@Canadianfly / and any member in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary

Good day, i read your apt response to the person who wants to give birth in USA, I kinda observed that you seem to have knowledge of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary provinces.I intend to settle in one of these 3 provinces but am endeared to Manitoba for reasons i don't even know. Could you please give your best description of these provinces, available jobs for finance/accounting (I Have a B.s.c in Accounting, Masters in Biz admin, ICAN ACA , Banking experience), family life( a wife and daughter) e.t.c

Thanks in advance

@salford1
@Mummyjagirls
@vcole
@ebho
@Honey86
@staronthemoon
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 10:26am On Mar 27, 2018
Winnipeg Job Fair
4 times a year, The Winnipeg Job Fair connects recruiters, hiring companies with job seekers
(professional adults, newcomers, temporary/permanent foreign workers, skilled workers,
landed immigrants and local & international students) from the greater Winnipeg area including
cities such Brandon, Dauphin, Flin Flon, Morden, Portage La Prairie, Selkirk, Steinbacj,
Thompson, Winkler and more cities across Manitoba.

The next Winnipeg Job Fair is in March 28th, 2018
Time: 1:00pm – 3:00pm - Hotel : Viscount Gort Hotel
Hotel Address : 1670 Portage Av, Winnipeg. MB. R3J 0C9.
Upcoming Job Fairs : June 21st, 2018 W

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 11:16am On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:

If you ask me, go to Canada and save yourself the headache. What you think you're saving by going to America, you'll pay much more in the long run. All the best with the decision you make.

Thanks a lot for this response I really appreciate. To all those that responded. Thank you very much. I read them all and I appreciate.

When we decided to have the baby in America, money savings was secondary. The primary issue is that I have no family in Canada. Like None. Becoming a mother for the first time where I don't know anybody is scary. And my husband will not stay for the entire three months. He will go with me at first and then leave to come back later. In total he will be staying for three weeks. We plan to relocate fully next year. So basically, it will be just me.

So if we can avoid it, we will do what we can. From what I have read here and my ongoing research, a US passport holder (our child) doesn't need a visa to enter Canada. And they can stay for up to six months at a time. By God's grace we can afford a trip from Canada to America every six months until the sponsorship is complete.

For most of the stories we have read, the baby had a citizenship that needed travel documents to enter Canada. In the Nigerian parents case, they had the baby before they landed in Canada. They did not declare a change in family when they should have.

But one thing is clear, hubby and I need to sit down, research, ask questions and then decide very carefully on the way forward.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 11:26am On Mar 27, 2018
geebaby10:

Thanks a lot for this response I really appreciate. To all those that responded. Thank you very much. I read them all and I appreciate.

When we decided to have the baby in America, money savings was secondary. The primary issue is that I have no family in Canada. Like None. Becoming a mother for the first time where I don't know anybody is scary. And my husband will not stay for the entire three months. He will go with me at first and then leave to come back later. In total he will be staying for three weeks. We plan to relocate fully next year. So basically, it will be just me.

So if we can avoid it, we will do what we can. From what I have read here and my ongoing research, a US passport holder (our child) doesn't need a visa to enter Canada. And they can stay for up to six months at a time. By God's grace we can afford a trip from Canada to America every six months until the sponsorship is complete.

For most of the stories we have read, the baby had a citizenship that needed travel documents to enter Canada. In the Nigerian parents case, they had the baby before they landed in Canada. They did not declare a change in family when they should have.

But one thing is clear, hubby and I need to sit down, research, ask questions and then decide very carefully on the way forward.

You don't èven need to leave canada after the 6 months. You apply for an extension within canada and provide proof of the PR app of your baby. Your extension will likely be granted. Spouses that visit their spouse while having a PR sponsorship in process do it all the time. Very smoth process. Canada allows and i dare say almost encourages dual intent.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 12:05pm On Mar 27, 2018
geebaby10:

An issue that may arise is that until your child's sponsorship is through, he/she will not have medical coverage in Canada and you would need to buy health insurance for your baby.

These are my thoughts, choose a province that provides health care coverage on landing to permanent residents e.g. Saskatchewan or Alberta. Have your baby and within one week after birth, get baby's Canadian passport and travel to the States where you have family.
I understand the issue of having a support system even for the delivery so if it is possible for you to have one of your family members from the US with you for the delivery, you may want to do that.
If that is not possible, you can always reach out to other believers, if you are one, in your intended city and you may be quite surprised by how much help you would receive.

Canadian immigration is an entity that is quite difficult to predict and I would personally rather minimize my interaction with them.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

39 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 12:45pm On Mar 27, 2018
Beeea:

An issue that may arise is that until your child's sponsorship is through, he/she will not have medical coverage in Canada and you would need to buy health insurance for your baby.

These are my thoughts, choose a province that provides health care coverage on landing to permanent residents e.g. Saskatchewan or Alberta. Have your baby and within one week after birth, get baby's Canadian passport and travel to the States where you have family.
I understand the issue of having a support system even for the delivery so if it is possible for you to have one of your family members from the US with you for the delivery, you may want to do that.
If that is not possible, you can always reach out to other believers, if you are one, in your intended city and you may be quite surprised by how much help you would receive.

Canadian immigration is an entity that is quite difficult to predict and I would personally rather minimize my interaction with them.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Thank you for this. You just opened an angle that I had not considered yet. We can have the baby and then leave! At what age can the baby travel. It will be a short flight to Houston. I know from Toronto its about three hours? Let me find out about this. Thanks.

Fortissimo thank you as well.

Please while I am researching and cracking my brain all suggestions are welcome.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:13pm On Mar 27, 2018
Beeea:

Hope this helps. Cheers!

I was just gonna suggest this.

Geebaby10, my dear please take this advice. Your infant is allowed to fly from 1 week old, flight duration is not a problem. I flew with a 2 week old from Atl to Nigeria 3 years ago. Flight to U.S won't reach that long.
Your problem is deciding which province to pick, then reach out to folks on here who can give you pointers or help. You don't even have a guarantee that you'll be allowed entry into the U.S once the see your CoPR. So please reconsider. Hopefully you make the best decision for you and your baby.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hello everyone, Please any business analyst in the house?
I am a lawyer but I don't want to practice law in Canada. My focus is Business analysis.

I would appreciate pointers on schooling options that I can do as a bridging process.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:18pm On Mar 27, 2018
hayor2014:
@Canadianfly / and any member in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary

Good day, i read your apt response to the person who wants to give birth in USA, I kinda observed that you seem to have knowledge of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary provinces.I intend to settle in one of these 3 provinces but am endeared to Manitoba for reasons i don't even know. Could you please give your best description of these provinces, available jobs for finance/accounting (I Have a B.s.c in Accounting, Masters in Biz admin, ICAN ACA , Banking experience), family life( a wife and daughter) e.t.c

Thanks in advance

@salford1
@Mummyjagirls
@vcole

Na only Winnipeg I know oh. Check my posts on here, I've given a rough breakdown on accommodation, phone, cost of living etc.
For Finance and Accounting, Honey86 is your best bet. I know nothing of the Finance world. My career path is totally different. I believe Honey86 is in Accounting. Reach out to her.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 1:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Child is a US citizen. Visa (ETA sef) not required. Can be stamped in for 6 months as a visitor and extended inland till the PR process is complete. Life ain't that hard when you got the right passport.

You're very correct.

I would only worry if they were going back to Nigeria to have the baby. With a US passport, they can sponsor the child inland. A friend just went to the US from Canada to have her baby. She's back in Toronto now and in the process of sponsoring her son.

However, I honestly doubt if it's a more cost effective route. Except you find a really cheap hospital. Then again, having support during that time is very important.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abbeyjnr: 1:33pm On Mar 27, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 1:40pm On Mar 27, 2018
Abbeyjnr:
hello nairalanders. am new here.. pls I want to ask which is better between collecting a million naira or going for a Canadian student visa... am in a state of dilemma... I don't know which will be more benefiting... going abroad or collecting a million naira to start up whatever... your humble replies will be much appreciated

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:

Let me answer you as much as I can.

Choi!!! Ma'am, your head is there o. Sincere and factually on point, please would appreciate your help in dissecting this issue also.

We've got few mum's here with babies and young children who are planning to move to Canada without their spouse for various reasons, hopefully temporarily. Would appreciate your input as to jobs one can take up considering that short operating hours creches run might not be at tandem with these survival and entry level jobs. I believe this is achievable, but having the right information and planning is key else, could turn out to be frustrating. That's my major challenge right now. Thanks maami grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by intercedertee(f): 2:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
Dont know you can be this nice, I was smiling when I finished reading your post. God bless
Canadianfly:

Let me answer you as much as I can.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 2:52pm On Mar 27, 2018
intercedertee:
Dont know you can be this nice, I was smiling when I finished reading your post. God bless

its quite easy to tell that she is actually, just very curt and a lot of Nigerians sincerly dont like being told things as they are, most of us like to have our (non-existent) ego massaged.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 3:58pm On Mar 27, 2018
hayor2014:

its quite easy to tell that she is actually, just very curt and a lot of Nigerians sincerly dont like being told things as they are, most of us like to have our (non-existent) ego massaged.

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you.

Finally someone gets it.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 4:00pm On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:

Una think say this COPR na golden key that unlocks every nation. You need a valid U.S visa to enter the U.S either by air, land or sea. If you're the bearer of a passport not on the waiver list, or an Alien U.S resident).
Except winch broom things grin

9/11 was not a drill. They're taking no chances.

I'd rather the person asked responds. Thanks for your input thoughts.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 4:06pm On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:

Una think say this COPR na golden key that unlocks every nation. You need a valid U.S visa to enter the U.S either by air, land or sea. If you're the bearer of a passport not on the waiver list, or an Alien U.S resident).
Except winch broom things grin

9/11 was not a drill. They're taking no chances.

By definition "alien US residents" are green card holders aka permanent residents of the US. I think you mean non resident aliens.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 4:10pm On Mar 27, 2018
[center][/center]
wholesomegrace:

Choi!!! Ma'am, your head is there o. Sincere and factually on point, please would appreciate your help in dissecting this issue also.

We've got few mum's here with babies and young children who are planning to move to Canada without their spouse for various reasons, hopefully temporarily. Would appreciate your input as to jobs one can take up considering that short operating hours creches run might not be at tandem with these survival and entry level jobs. I believe this is achievable, but having the right information and planning is key else, could turn out to be frustrating. That's my major challenge right now. Thanks maami grin grin grin

The only thing that I think will work will be home based jobs. There are quite a number of them. And they're mainly Customer Service jobs. There are also some Social work that can be done at home, with one day in the office. My friend currently does this, and she makes a lot of money. Her husband lives in the U.S.
What I advise is whilst doig your job search, filter it to home based roles. Most of these jobs require you have a home office set up. So you'll need a working desktop (what Nigerians call 'system'), printer, scanner, work station desk and the right swivel chair. Sometimes they send a HR person to inspect your home office to make sure it ticks their standard. You're also expected to be logged on to their server at times when you're expected to be working. So fast internet connection is a must have.
Other home based jobs include project coordinating/managing roles.

Truth is, they're not hard to find. You just have to use the right search engine and select what roles you think will work for you, also considering the salary as well.

34 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 4:10pm On Mar 27, 2018
MrsBee:

Amen. Yes you require a valid US visa. They would ask you questions like ‘the purpose of your trip’ ‘how long you will be spending’ etc

Great. Thanks ma'am. That's all i needed to know.
Regards!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 4:12pm On Mar 27, 2018
balogunsam:

I'd rather the person asked responds. Thanks for your input thoughts.

Mba nu. Lol you for rather a CBP officer answers you too.

@ Fotissimo, yea you're correct. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 4:14pm On Mar 27, 2018
You are not nice joooor. grin

Canadianfly:

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you.

Finally someone gets it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 4:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:

Mba nu. Lol you for rather a CBP officer answers you too.

@ Fotissimo, yea you're correct. Thanks.

Whatever makes you feel better my sister.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 4:29pm On Mar 27, 2018
balogunsam:

Whatever makes you feel better my sister.

That makes me feel better. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zeewirld: 4:42pm On Mar 27, 2018
Good afternoon, Is it possible to just do a soft landing in Canada after getting the migration documents and return back to Nigeria before final departure to Canada let say in 2 years time?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 4:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:

I was just gonna suggest this.

Geebaby10, my dear please take this advice. Your infant is allowed to fly from 1 week old, flight duration is not a problem. I flew with a 2 week old from Atl to Nigeria 3 years ago. Flight to U.S won't reach that long.
Your problem is deciding which province to pick, then reach out to folks on here who can give you pointers or help. You don't even have a guarantee that you'll be allowed entry into the U.S once the see your CoPR. So please reconsider. Hopefully you make the best decision for you and your baby.

Good luck.

@Geebaby10, in addition to this advise, which I concur with, I would suggest you pick Alberta. There is a RCCG church in Calgary , and from what I know in USA, those places are always ready to support fellow nigerians on birth and delivery. I can even give you contacts there. 7-10 days after delivery, fly to your family in US. Even some people who give birth in US, go to deliver in one location and come back to their family base becos of cost options, how much more, in your case. Also, I am not sure how true this is, but I was told if you have an american child, the child can not have canadian citizenship. that is there is canadian-americn dual nationality but no canadian-american nationality...I stand to be corrected...

Hope this helps in your decision making..wow..that child is so blessed... even while in the uterus, strangers are helping out already....it will always be a great life for your child, never lacking help when needed and favour all the days of the child's life. wink

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 5:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:
[center][/center]

The only thing that I think will work will be home based jobs. There are quite a number of them. And they're mainly Customer Service jobs. There are also some Social work that can be done at home, with one day in the office. My friend currently does this, and she makes a lot of money. Her husband lives in the U.S.
What I advise is whilst doig your job search, filter it to home based roles. Most of these jobs require you have a home office set up. So you'll need a working desktop (what Nigerians call 'system'), printer, scanner, work station desk and the right swivel chair. Sometimes they send a HR person to inspect your home office to make sure it ticks their standard. You're also expected to be logged on to their server at times when you're expected to be working. So fast internet connection is a must have.

Truth is, they're not hard to find. You just have to use the right search engine and select what roles you think will work for you, also considering the salary as well.

@ Canadianfly, thanks so much ma'am. I will definitely look into this. God bless you

@ rainazoe
Kmgb
fantababy
titiclassy

Fyi
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mandex11: 5:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
kiss kiss
mamacajah:

@Geebaby10, in addition to this advise, which I concur with, I would suggest you pick Alberta. There is a RCCG church in Calgary , and from what I know in USA, those places are always ready to support fellow nigerians on birth and delivery. I can even give you contacts there. 7-10 days after deliery, fly to your family in US. Even some people who give birth in US, go to deliver in one location and come back to their family base becos of cost options, how much more, in your case. Also, I am not sure how true this is, but I was told if you have an american child, the child can not have canadian citizenship. that is there is canadian-americn dual nationality but no canadian-american nationality...I stand to be corrected...

Hope this helps in your decision making..wow..that child is so blessed... even while in the uterus, strangers are helping out already....it will always be a great life for your child, never lacking help when needed and favour all the days of the child's life. wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 6:21pm On Mar 27, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 27, 2018
[quote author=mamacajah post=6620597

Also, I am not sure how true this is, but I was told if you have an american child, the child can not have canadian citizenship. that is there is canadian-americn dual nationality but no canadian-american nationality...I stand to be corrected...
[/quote]

Hi mamacajah, unfortunately, a lot of people think this for some reason but it isn’t correct information.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kmgb: 7:42pm On Mar 27, 2018
Canadianfly:
[center][/center]

Thanks for this,always hoped to do this but wasn't just sure it was plausible.
In other news,this is good news for Ontario bound peeps but not until 2020 http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwjKPQwzo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kmgb: 7:44pm On Mar 27, 2018
wholesomegrace:

@ Canadianfly, thanks so much ma'am. I will definitely look into this. God bless you

@ rainazoe
Kmgb
fantababy
titiclassy

Fyi

Thanks sis

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.