Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (259) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984835 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:10pm On Mar 27, 2018
hayor2014:
@Canadianfly / and any member in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary

Good day, i read your apt response to the person who wants to give birth in USA, I kinda observed that you seem to have knowledge of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary provinces.I intend to settle in one of these 3 provinces but am endeared to Manitoba for reasons i don't even know. Could you please give your best description of these provinces, available jobs for finance/accounting (I Have a B.s.c in Accounting, Masters in Biz admin, ICAN ACA , Banking experience), family life( a wife and daughter) e.t.c

Thanks in advance

@salford1
@Mummyjagirls
@vcole
@ebho
@Honey86
@staronthemoon
If you are willing to work in branch based positions since your past experience is in banking, it won't be hard to get a job in Saskatchewan. There are quite a number of finance based positions all around the province too. Jobs are generally not as competitive as big cities and are usually filled with international grads from the local uni and college. I mean good jobs including government ones where people never resign from-highly stable.
Pay is also very similar to Alberta.

Regina and Saskatoon are a bit competitive but if you open to relocating to small cities within the province, you would do just fine. Having lived and travelled to so many cities in Sask, the quality of life in those small cities are excellent. I would take a small city job without any problem. 5 min travel time to most places, lots of sporting and outdoor activies for the kids, genuinely nice Canadians (not the fake ones in big cities.lol), community events e.t.c

Disadvantages:
1. Sask is cold.
2. Our usual naija community might not be present (naijas you would find are doctors, nurses and other allied health workers) except you are in Saskatoon or Gina.
3. If you are not in S'toon or Gina, You would have to travel far to buy groceries in bulk.
4. Highly conservative province (not a problem if you are not a core liberal minded individual).
5. Housing cost is similar to Alberta (not cheap).

Note: Communities refered to as cities vary across different provinces. I am not 100% sure, but I think the population of a community has to hit the 50k mark to be considered a city in Alberta. In sask, I think it's around 12k and above.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 9:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
mamacajah:

@Geebaby10, in addition to this advise, which I concur with, I would suggest you pick Alberta. There is a RCCG church in Calgary , and from what I know in USA, those places are always ready to support fellow nigerians on birth and delivery. I can even give you contacts there. 7-10 days after delivery, fly to your family in US. Even some people who give birth in US, go to deliver in one location and come back to their family base becos of cost options, how much more, in your case. Also, I am not sure how true this is, but I was told if you have an american child, the child can not have canadian citizenship. that is there is canadian-americn dual nationality but no canadian-american nationality ...I stand to be corrected...

Hope this helps in your decision making..wow..that child is so blessed... even while in the uterus, strangers are helping out already....it will always be a great life for your child, never lacking help when needed and favour all the days of the child's life. wink

Not true.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 9:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
Zeewirld:
Good afternoon, Is it possible to just do a soft landing in Canada after getting the migration documents and return back to Nigeria before final departure to Canada let say in 2 years time?

Simple answer? Yes.

Just don't apply for any benefits during the 2 year period.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:02pm On Mar 27, 2018
SlowlybtSurely:

Simple answer? Yes.

Just don't apply for any benefits during the 2 year period.

Exactly!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 10:06pm On Mar 27, 2018
geebaby10:

Thank you for this. You just opened an angle that I had not considered yet. We can have the baby and then leave! At what age can the baby travel. It will be a short flight to Houston. I know from Toronto its about three hours? Let me find out about this. Thanks.

Fortissimo thank you as well.

Please while I am researching and cracking my brain all suggestions are welcome.

This should be your best bet. Most airlines can fly a week old baby.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 10:43pm On Mar 27, 2018
JESUSisable:
Hi seniors , thank you for all your assistance all through this process

I have a quick question my people. Pls to the Glory of God I received PPR on 1st of March and I sent my passport to Dubai visa office on the 2nd of March,it was received on 8th March but my account is still showing "we are reviewing the additional documents you provided". I thought this should have changed to "You do not need additional documents ".

Pls any advice as to the reason for this?Has anyone experienced this?
pls seniors kindly respond
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Supagal: 12:55am On Mar 28, 2018
Congrats @Nadina. Your story does inspire.
Dear seniors thanks for all insightful posts. It has guided me all the way.
Landed in Calgary about 2 weeks ago. Please Nadina, and other seniors that understand the Calgary system, can you please tell us the name of the recruitment agency you used to get your 1st job.
Went to centre for newcomers and the counsellor was more interested in selling his book to me.

Are there some other ones you will recommend for the Calgary area, particularly for finance professionals. Roberthalf, Kelly services?
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nadina: 2:32am On Mar 28, 2018
You could reach out to Bowen. I got my first job through them. Randstad, Executrade, TPD. There are lots of them. You could also attend the free resume and cover letter workshop organised by Alberta Works. They are quite brief and concise and might help in drafting your resume. I hope this helps. I wish you all the best!

quote author=Supagal post=66217904]Congrats @Nadina. Your story does inspire.
Dear seniors thanks for all insightful posts. It has guided me all the way.
Landed in Calgary about 2 weeks ago. Please Nadina, and other seniors that understand the Calgary system, can you please tell us the name of the recruitment agency you used to get your 1st job.
Went to centre for newcomers and the counsellor was more interested in selling his book to me.

Are there some other ones you will recommend for the Calgary area, particularly for finance professionals. Roberthalf, Kelly services?
Thanks.[/quote]

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 3:34am On Mar 28, 2018
Fortissimo502:

They can easily bring the child into Canada as a visitor when they are ready to move to Canada, and then apply for the kid's PR from there.

That's not true. Nobody has a right to enter canada unless they're a citizen. Furthermore if her child is born with a disability he/she may be denied PR. Immigration is never black and white, even if you're a citizen. This woman should have her baby in Canada and stop playing with fire.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 5:29am On Mar 28, 2018
maternal:

That's not true. Nobody has a right to enter canada unless they're a citizen. Furthermore if her child is born with a disability he/she may be denied PR. Immigration is never black and white, even if you're a citizen. This woman should have her baby in Canada and stop playing with fire.

You're being unnecessarily alarmist.

Sponsored kids are EDE. Excessive demand exempt.

By the way, not just citizens have right of entry. PRs do too.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by omambala: 5:31am On Mar 28, 2018
maternal:

maternal has spoken. he that has ear let him hear. lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 6:00am On Mar 28, 2018
vascey:

Hey man, how is it going?

Boss,

I'm good o. CPAO appears to be taking their sweet time. Applications now take average of 12 weeks they said. So I guess it's to apply the patience developed in CIO and LVO lol.
Not landing till April ending tho so I guess it's still ok.

How far with urs?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 6:55am On Mar 28, 2018
Muchaio:

Boss,

I'm good o. CPAO appears to be taking their sweet time. Applications now take average of 12 weeks they said. So I guess it's to apply the patience developed in CIO and LVO lol.

How far with urs?

Just submitted the law and tax certificate. Expecting their reply in 2 - 4 weeks. Just got ITA so I still have some time. Expecting them to request for notarized identity and payment.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:01am On Mar 28, 2018
@geebaby10, I think that you should try not to complicate your situation. It is either you have the baby before landing, add him/her to your application, return copr and wait until you are reissued another OR you really just toe the easier path .....land Alberta as you would get health coverage immediately. Have your baby for free. Even get an extra 3 months post partum extended health benefit coverage for yourself as a complimentary deal, lol! Board a flight to Houston after about 2-3 weeks which should be sufficient time to receive baby's birth certificate, SIN, health card and obtain a passport. Calgary to Houston is a 3hrs+ flight and costs under $CAD200. If you wanna drive your personal vehicle across a landed border between Canada and the states, your baby wouldn't even need a passport. Birth certificate would suffice.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:15am On Mar 28, 2018
I guess CPAO is burdened by requests now. They have been advertising heavily on the internet for PRs to register through them so demand has increased.

LVO has taught us patience so we have to wait for them but keep sending them mails once in a while.

Muchaio:

Boss,

How far with urs?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:17am On Mar 28, 2018
You've got lots of time. I have sent my notarised identities (BC requested for two) just waiting for payment request.

vascey:

Just submitted the law and tax certificate. Expecting their reply in 2 - 4 weeks. Just got ITA so I still have some time. Expecting them to request for notarized identity and payment.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:26am On Mar 28, 2018
Thanks my sis. This definitely makes sense. @Canadianfly thank you very much.

wholesomegrace:

@ Canadianfly, thanks so much ma'am. I will definitely look into this. God bless you

@ rainazoe
Kmgb
fantababy
titiclassy

Fyi
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by superdoll: 8:46am On Mar 28, 2018
Hello everyone, please i would like to knw if i can come into Canada with my visitor visa for my child delivery while my PR application is ongoing. Also if i get COPR before delivery, how do i handle it?
Will i be eligible for the health insurance during delivery? Since i am already in canada do i go ahead with the rest of my transactions as a PR or have to leave and land again as a PR.

@vcole
@canadianfly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dyolahh: 9:11am On Mar 28, 2018
Hello everyone! This thread has been very informative. God bless you all for the advices and suggestions.
My hubby and I just received our ITA.
We chose Calgary as our landing place. But searching for accommodation we noticed people don't go for basement accommodation?? Is there a problem with basement accommodations??
Also please which area in Calgary will you suggest we streamline our options to?
Many thanks and looking forward to your response.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iumezinwa1: 9:39am On Mar 28, 2018
Congrats
Muchaio:

Please can you share the interview guideline the HR manager shared with you.

Bro. i see you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 9:57am On Mar 28, 2018
Nice one vcole. I am curious to know if she will be expected to pay back the cost of the medical services since she won't be staying up to 183 days post establishing residence in Alberta. Cos I learnt that it is their requirement that you stay at least 183 days to be eligible for coverage. Or am I getting it wrong?

vcole:
@geebaby10, I think that you should try not to complicate your situation. It is either you have the baby before landing, add him/her to your application, return copr and wait until you are reissued another OR you really just toe the easier path .....land Alberta as you would get health coverage immediately. Have your baby for free. Even get an extra 3 months post partum extended health benefit coverage for yourself as a complimentary deal, lol! Board a flight to Houston after about 2-3 weeks which should be sufficient time to receive baby's birth certificate, SIN, health card and obtain a passport. Calgary to Houston is a 3hrs+ flight and costs under $CAD200. If you wanna drive your personal vehicle across a landed border between Canada and the states, your baby wouldn't even need a passport. Birth certificate would suffice.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 11:06am On Mar 28, 2018
Fortissimo502:

You're being unnecessarily alarmist.

Sponsored kids are EDE. Excessive demand exempt.

By the way, not just citizens have right of entry. PRs do too.

They're not always EDE. They've been cases on the news. Also we both know they can look for other avenues to reject the applicant if they want. Furthermore, PR's could enter only if they meet residency requirements. They can also be subjected to deportation due to criminality. Don't not compare a PR's right to a citizens. I'll repeat, only a Canadian citizens has the right to enter Canada and can never be denied or deported.

Remember one is not a PR because they got the visa. The customs officer can still deny it at anytime. Only once their passport has been stamped and paperwork processed are they a PR. My point is if she comes at the border with a U.S. born baby and her story sounds fishy, they can deny her and her baby entry.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 11:56am On Mar 28, 2018
Again thank you for all the input. I agree that my baby is super blessed. See all the help from people I haven't met and may never meet. Thank you!

I have done some research and it looks like I will be paying for my medical fees. This is because I am doing a soft landing and so I won't stay the time required by provinces. Alberta will offer on landing once I apply but I must be committed to stay 183 days in 12 months which is not possible at this time. Except I am not properly understanding what I read.

I am not due until weeks after my medicals expire so the option of having my baby and then adding to my application is like starting the process for PR all over again.

So let's say I stay in London Ontario where I know some people and pay for private health insurance for the birth. The baby will be covered by the government health plan immediately it is born. Please what plans can I be looking at? The plans that I can see so far, my case isn't covered so I may have to pay a lot of money out of pocket.

Secondly If I choose to stay in Alberta (I won't lie on any form or application) once I state that I may not stay the required 183 days in 12 months will I still get the health card?

Thirdly, for a soft landing (which I understand are legal) do I have to mention to Immigration officers at the airport that I am doing a soft landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iumezinwa1: 12:18pm On Mar 28, 2018
Please can you send me a good CV for an accountant.

czaratwork:
I dont know much about settling in Manitoba because i have never really asked about the province. Any reason you want to be in Manitoba? Because your skill that i see very lucrative in Ontario is IT CONTROL. I know banks are interested in that kind of role(IT AUDIT and IT CONTROL) and most banks are headquartered in Toronto. Also most banking roles are found in Ontario. You have some (mainly branch roles) in other provinces too.

If you want to pursue the accounting profession, you can easily do that in any province. even though i would still say there are more accounting roles in Ontario.(my opinion)

If it is accounting roles you need you can start sending out your resumes to recruitment agencies like Robert half, international financial group, kelly services, etc. then you can also google indeed, glassdoor, eluta, workopolis, hays, AltisHR, the few i remember now but remember to tailor your resume to the job description on each advertised role so that your resume can pass the scanning stage.(This is not to claim a role you cant defend when shortlisted)

Also accountant roles come with skills in some accounting packages like JDedwards, quickbooks, sage, advanced excel (vlookup, pivot table, macros) and even SAP.(FICO). I would suggest you train on these skills back home because when you convert the cost to get trained here to our naira, you would have preferred to have done it back home. You can also google for some of these training online, some are free online even on youtube.

Then which certification do you have? if it is ACCA, you can start the process of conversion immediately. I dont know the process for ACA, you may have to ask others.

I will send an accountant's resume to you as requested. You can also google it online so that you have so many to work with. Best of luck in your job hunt.

I know others here too especially those in Manitoba can also guide you with their contributions.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 12:20pm On Mar 28, 2018
maternal:

They're not always EDE. They've been cases on the news. Also we both know they can look for other avenues to reject the applicant if they want. Furthermore, PR's could enter only if they meet residency requirements. They can also be subjected to deportation due to criminality. Don't not compare a PR's right to a citizens. I'll repeat, only a Canadian citizens has the right to enter Canada and can never be denied or deported.

Remember one is not a PR because they got the visa. The customs officer can still deny it at anytime. Only once their passport has been stamped and paperwork processed are they a PR. My point is if she comes at the border with a U.S. born baby and her story sounds fishy, they can deny her and her baby entry.

It's in Canadian law. PR grants you right of entry. You can be deported yes. Your pr can be revoked yes. But if you are a PR at Canada's gates, you are guaranteed entry. Simple. It's the law.

People that haven't met residency requirements are still let in. Then cbsa proceeds with the process of revoking the PR. which involves attending a hearing etc.

It's possible for the us citizen baby to be denied entry but extremely low chance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 12:31pm On Mar 28, 2018
Hello peeps with preschoolers. Saw this yesterday. If it comes through, it just makes Ontario juicier...

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/03/27/ontario-budget-to-fund-free-child-care-for-preschoolers-by-2020-as-part-of-22-billion-plan.html

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iumezinwa1: 12:38pm On Mar 28, 2018
Thanks for this detailed analysis .

Please i have a few questiions:

1. Will you be able to do the conversion if you have not completed your PER (that is just an ACCA affiliate)

2. Can i use my masters degree transcript along with ACCA certification for the conversion

rainazoe:
Let me breakdown my journey.

I emailed CPA British Columbia asking for guidance on how to commence and I was asked to send my transcript (post), resume & acca cert (email) and ACCA letter of good standing (emailed to them by acca). The letter of good standing can be gotten by simply mailing ACCA with your details and the request from CPA-BC. I also filled a form sent to me. The name on the form should agree with that on your ACCA certificate.

Once they receive the docs mentioned above and they are satisfied, you are asked to take the overview on law in tax course. It costs about CAD560 (tax inclusive). Once you get your certificate, you email it to CPA-BC.

Next mail from them would be to complete the tax exempt form to prove you are non resident in CA aling with a copy of a utility bill. You will also post notarised copies of two IDs (I used my intl passport and drivers license). You also get to fill another form which should be hand signed by a supervisor.

What I am waiting for is my final bill to membership.

NB: CPA-BC can be very slow in responding. Other people say CPA-Ontario is a better option for the membership process.

In addition, others did WES course by course evaluation for those that used WES for credential verification instead of sending transcript. I did use WES for verification but went the transcript route as it was cheaper.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Merovingian: 3:03pm On Mar 28, 2018
Canadianfly:

If you ask me, go to Canada and save yourself the headache.

Read every line expecting to hit one of your funny remark till i got to the end - none! I'm impressed ijiji canada.

You have no idea of how many silent readers are facing similar issues and benefiting from the vast amount of knowledge shared here.

Gone through the various options and just curious, if one births in Canada and gets a pp is that sufficient for baby to enter US without a visa?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by danielkehinde: 3:51pm On Mar 28, 2018
I intend to relocate to Canada with my family pls I need advice on how to go about the whole process thank you in anticipation
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 4:20pm On Mar 28, 2018
danielkehinde:
I intend to relocate to Canada with my family pls I need advice on how to go about the whole process thank you in anticipation

Read from page 0

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.