Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (297) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984977 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:53pm On May 28, 2018
Mizwisdom:

My guy, permit me to ask which kind of work are you doing that affords you so much time to comment so often? Another question is must someone be bilingual to teach in Canada especially when one has no interest whatsoever in speaking or learning French?

Need an apartment in Lagos? Contact me

You don't have to speak French to teach in Canada.
However, been a bilingual or speaking French outside of Quebec is an asset that is in demand and will set you above the crowd.
There is a huge demand for teachers in French schools in Ontario. I believe the starting salary is 65K and after 3 years it goes up to 100K. They are always hiring.

Please keep in mind that if you only speaks English and that you aren't getting a teaching job, you may always registered with a school board as a substitute teacher. The school board has jurisdiction over many schools. When one of the teachers in a given school had called in sick for the day, the school board will call a substitute teacher to fill in for the day.

As for your first question, I am a Network analyst.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:17pm On May 28, 2018
Muchaio:
On the issue of barbers ehn, na so I enter barbershop, cut hair o. Tell them make dem shave and trim my biabia sef. I finish, bill was $28. Apparently biabia money different from haircut money. As i reach house na him i tell my wife, nne, you must learn barbing by force o.
The haircut sef no fine reach my N500 haircut for Yaba.
grin
if you have kids that are male..your bill would have easily doubled or trippled.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 10:20pm On May 28, 2018
Hello People of God!

Driver's License issue here o. Please assist.

I've passed the knowledge test and dropped my Nigerian license. They issued a Class 7 license and told me to check back for a
possible upgrade to Class 5. To my surprise, I got a feedback that "At this time, your GDL exemption cannot be considered. The driving license that was submitted from Nigeria does not comply with the required standards to sufficiently support your driving history."

I want your advice before I ask them to explain what they are talking about...cos I don't understand. I'm in Alberta.

Cc: @mummyjaygirls, @freeradical, @Blackbuddy, @Fusion23, @Ballerz, @GlitteringStar

Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 10:23pm On May 28, 2018
How far bro?

Hope you've been able to ace your A+ exam by now...

DadR:
Yeah, am actually in Lagos. I registered at New Horizon, Surulere Campus. Lecture fee is 59k for weekend classes for 3 months. Exam fee should be less than 100k. If you'd like to join, it's a good time to register as classes would be starting afresh any moment from this Saturday or next.

Cheers.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 10:34pm On May 28, 2018
HTC2017:
Hello People of God!

I've passed the knowledge test and dropped my Nigerian license. They issued a Class 7 license and told me to check back for a
possible upgrade to Class 5. To my surprise, I got a feedback that "At this time, your GDL exemption cannot be considered. The driving license that was submitted from Nigeria does not comply with the required standards to sufficiently support your driving history."

I want your advice before I ask them to explain what they are talking about...cos I don't understand. I'm in Alberta.

Cc: @mummyjaygirls, @freeradical, @Blackbuddy, @Fusion23, @Ballerz, @GlitteringStar

Thank you so much!!!

What registry did you use, how many years was on your naija license, most importantly was your naija license original ??

Normal you should get a call from the special investigation unit of minsitry of transportation..so u need to asnwer those before getting back to them.
i was told am qualified for class 5 even thou my original license was just over a year..
I didnt use the fake which had over 4 years.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 10:45pm On May 28, 2018
I have just a little over a year documented history.

It was issued by the FRSC in the local government area and I got it myself.

Fusion23:

What registry did you use, how many years was on your naija license, most importantly was your naija license original ??

Normal you should get a call from the special investigation unit of minsitry of transportation..so u need to asnwer those before getting back to them.
i was told am qualified for class 5 even thou my original license was just over a year..

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 1:47am On May 29, 2018
TheCongo2:

However, been a bilingual or speaking French outside of Quebec is an asset that is in demand and will set you above the crowd.
There is a huge demand for teachers in French schools in Ontario. I believe the starting salary is 65K and after 3 years it goes up to 100K. They are always hiring.

Please keep in mind that if you only speaks English and that you aren't getting a teaching job, you may always registered with a school board as a substitute teacher. The school board has jurisdiction over many schools. When one of the teachers in a given school had called in sick for the day, the school board will call a substitute teacher to fill in for the day.

As for your first question, I am a Network analyst.

Ontario, here I come.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 2:34am On May 29, 2018
I'm yet to write the exams because we started classes late. As soon as classes are completed, I will sit for the exams.

HTC2017:
How far bro?

Hope you've been able to ace your A+ exam by now...

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 4:10am On May 29, 2018
HTC2017:
Hello People of God!

Thank you so much!!!

How long have u had d license for? Is it original? You should go to the registry so they explain well. Do u have frsc letter?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 4:33am On May 29, 2018
Any lady landing soon (first week of June) in Edmonton and would like to share an apartment? Please send me a mail, thanks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 4:33am On May 29, 2018
Good morning,

Please I need to confirm b4 I do the wrong thing, can I travel with US dollar the equivalent of 9000 CAN dollar, would that be acceptable at the airport.

If NO then please where do I buy CAN dollars from in Naija.

And is it possible to convert from tourist visa to student Visa, how will it be done.

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:16am On May 29, 2018
HTC2017:
I have just a little over a year documented history.

It was issued by the FRSC in the local government area and I got it myself.

Let me explain further what Fusion actually meant about being original.

He was asking if you had your biometrics (digital fingerprints and special camera picture) captured at the same time at zonal office of the FRSC?

I hope you are aware that FRSC officials are also the number one crooks in giving out fakes.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 6:17am On May 29, 2018
cutezain:
Good morning,

Please I need to confirm b4 I do the wrong thing, can I travel with US dollar the equivalent of 9000 CAN dollar, would that be acceptable at the airport.

If NO then please where do I buy CAN dollars from in Naija.

And is it possible to convert from tourist visa to student Visa, how will it be done.

Thank you

Carry go. If u have up to US$90k sef, carry it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 6:54am On May 29, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

Carry go. If u have up to US$90k sef, carry it.

Please I dnt understand.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 8:14am On May 29, 2018
cutezain:

Please I dnt understand.

It means you are good to go

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Itissettled3: 8:19am On May 29, 2018
Good morning. Please is there any Estate Surveyor and Valuer from Nigeria who moved to Canada and is practicing the profession (Valuation/Appraisal)? I desperately need pointers as to steps to follow.

I contacted a lot of people via LinkedIn so as to know how to go about it but didn't get responses. It's hard getting information on this as the profession is not a popular one.

Kindly help.me out. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 8:34am On May 29, 2018
I was wondering when you will take up the challenge.
Nogen:

Ontario, here I come.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 9:03am On May 29, 2018
QSola:

It means you are good to go

Okay thank you, how about my cousin changing from visit visa to student visa
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Affordablerent: 9:19am On May 29, 2018
TheCongo2:

As for your first question, I am a work analyst.

Thanks but this information is somehow conflicting. You mean if I study French or English in Nigeria, I don't need to write any qualification exams before I start teaching in Canada, is the teaching profession there not regulated like all other major professions? Secondly, are there no full English schools in Canada where knowledge of French isn't a criteria for recruitment(a school where French is not taught or spoken), what are the qualification criteria to become a primary/secondary school teacher there? mentioning one incident or two where Nigerians have become teachers is not encouraging, makes one wonder if there are up to 50 Nigerian teachers in the whole of Canada.

Looking for a house to rent in Lagos? Contact me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ejadike(m): 10:15am On May 29, 2018
salford1:

I like this new title...

Chief Congo grin
lol... You fit still help me answer the question too, Boss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 11:12am On May 29, 2018
Affordablerent:

Thanks but this information is somehow conflicting. You mean if I study French or English in Nigeria, I don't need to write any qualification exams before I start teaching in Canada, is the teaching profession there not regulated like all other major professions? Secondly, are there no full English schools in Canada where knowledge of French isn't a criteria for recruitment(a school where French is not taught or spoken), what are the qualification criteria to become a primary/secondary school teacher there? mentioning one incident or two where Nigerians have become teachers is not encouraging, makes one wonder if there are up to 50 Nigerian teachers in the whole of Canada.

Looking for a house to rent in Lagos? Contact me

I think if people take the pains to come on the thread to ask questions, it really doesn't take much effort to do a little research online yourselves, so you can ask more appropriate questions. @TheCongo2 has already pointed out that you need certification to teach, and a simple google search gives the following for Ontario:

https://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teacher/internationally-educated-teachers

Of course there are full english schools in Canada, but again @TheCongo2 has simply provided you with specific information on the advantage of being bilingual in Ontario.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 11:18am On May 29, 2018
cutezain:

Please I dnt understand.

You can take in whatever amount of cash you have available. Just ensure that if it is in excess of 10,000 CAD, you declare it at the point of entry. This would usually just be recording the amount of cash you're coming in with, and be sure you have information on hand to prove where you've got the money from. So if it is from your account, have bank statements to show you had the cash in your account for a while and withdrew it at some point.

No need to look for CAD in Nigeria. USD is just as good when coming into Canada. Banks and BDCs in Canada will change it for you. The general feedback from the thread so far is that you get better rates from the Bank than changing at the airport, so if you need some CAD for transportation on arrival, change just a little bit of your USD at the airport.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 2:27pm On May 29, 2018
Hello Fusion23,
I have a question for you please.
How does one determine the number of years on one's drivers license?
When you say licence just over a year, do you mean expired by one year?
Finally, can you help me out with how to get the FRSC letter. I asked one of them who didn't seem to know anything about it.

Fusion23:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 2:32pm On May 29, 2018
Hi MummyJaygirls,
I see you are in Edmonton. My family and I will be landing in September. I need to sort accommodation before landing. Can you please advise on how to go about it and possibly link me up with a real estate agent.
Also, which area is safe and better to live with family?
Thanks in advance.

MummyJaygirls:
Any lady landing soon (first week of June) in Edmonton and would like to share an apartment? Please send me a mail, thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 3:44pm On May 29, 2018
Yes, I had my biometrics (digital fingerprints and special camera picture) captured at the same time at zonal office of the FRSC

salford1:

Let me explain further what Fusion actually meant about being original.

He was asking if you had your biometrics (digital fingerprints and special camera picture) captured at the same time at zonal office of the FRSC?

I hope you are aware that FRSC officials are also the number one crooks in giving out fakes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 3:46pm On May 29, 2018
Just a little over a year. It is original. No, I don't have FRSC letter.

MummyJaygirls:

How long have u had d license for? Is it original? You should go to the registry so they explain well. Do u have frsc letter?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 3:53pm On May 29, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Hello Fusion23,
I have a question for you please.
How does one determine the number of years on one's drivers license?
When you say licence just over a year, do you mean expired by one year?
Finally, can you help me out with how to get the FRSC letter. I asked one of them who didn't seem to know anything about it.

I was in Ottawa before , thats Ontario..so in Alberta no one cares about FRSC Letter as far as I know , I could be wrong..so i also started my drivers license runs after I got COPR, so my originals drivers license was like feb 2017, landed canada also in february, did written test like july 2017..so was just on G1, moved to alberta and just waited will february ..naija license was one year, also gave them onatario license and applied for gdl exemption..was called by special investigation unit..bla bla ...approved for class 5 basic road test....so summary the provinces are a bit different in terms of licensing .

If your license is original there is a way u can check online so that might helps also..the naija license i mean..

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 4:20pm On May 29, 2018
Oh thanks a lot.
Any idea how I can go about checking if the licence is original.

Fusion23:

I was in Ottawa before , thats Ontario..so in Alberta no one cares about FRSC Letter as far as I know , I could be wrong..so i also started my drivers license runs after I got COPR, so my originals drivers license was like feb 2017, landed canada also in february, did written test like july 2017..so was just on G1, moved to alberta and just waited will february ..naija license was one year, also gave them onatario license and applied for gdl exemption..was called by special investigation unit..bla bla ...approved for class 5 basic road test....so summary the provinces are a bit different in terms of licensing .

If your license is original there is a way u can check online so that might helps also..the naija license i mean..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:31pm On May 29, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Oh thanks a lot.
Any idea how I can go about checking if the licence is original.

https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/dlApplication/reissue

like you want to do a re issue

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 4:53pm On May 29, 2018
Thanks a lot. I appreciate this. I have been able to check it.
Fusion23:

https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/dlApplication/reissue

like you want to do a re issue
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by browndoll: 5:46pm On May 29, 2018
Hello landed seniors�
We hope to land in September by God's grace.
We have done a bit of research on Ottawa and it seems to be a lovely place and very bilingual.
Please any one who can point out previously written notes on experiences in Ottawa should help me with the link or moniker, please.
What's the likelihood of getting jobs there seeing that hubby and i dont speak french(yet)? I'm an accountant and he is a project manager.we learnt that a person who speaks both french and english is preferred to one who speaks just english.Is it that bad that we may not stand a chance?
Any advise,suggestions and pointers will be appreciated.
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:07pm On May 29, 2018
HTC2017:
Just a little over a year. It is original. No, I don't have FRSC letter.

Not sure if the rule has changed.

If the date your license was issued was over one year but below three years, then the one year wait on class 7 would be waived, but you would still be on the GDL program i.e. class 5 basic for two years. if the license was issued over three years ago, then you should get the GDL waiver and be allowed to take your advanced road test aftet passing the knowledge test.

If your date of issue was less than one year at the time of submission to an Alberta registy, then you would have to complete the full three years GDL program i.e one year on class 7 and two years on Class 5 basic.

If you feel you satisfied the requirement, then you might want to go back to the registry to initiate a review of your submission.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.