Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (370) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1988085 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Chinnie4Jesus: 10:56am On Sep 05, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ysteph: 11:20am On Sep 05, 2018
Pathetic. I feel like crying for both women.
Although, the former student brought the wahala upon herself.
joo2018:
2 pathetic stories I just read. Nigerian women doing anything to remain in Canada.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/canadian-husband-turned-her-into-sex-slave-failed-refugee-claimant-testifies

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/former-cbsa-agent-handed-6-years-for-raping-and-extorting-halifax-student-facing-deportation-1.4796752

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by IamtrulyBlessed: 11:30am On Sep 05, 2018
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I should be paying for Oct to March.
vascey:

I was charged 750 CAD (excluding HST).
Consisted on 450 Registration Dues and 300 prorated membership dues split between CPA Canada (189) and CPA BC (111).
Financial year starts from April to March so I paid for Sept to March.
Paid with normal Zenith Debit mastercard. Exch rate - 291.4 NGN = 1 CAD today
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by katyamizotta: 11:33am On Sep 05, 2018

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by katyamizotta: 11:35am On Sep 05, 2018
I got my SIN

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by katyamizotta: 11:37am On Sep 05, 2018
Didn't get home till 10pm

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by zezebabyxoxo: 11:40am On Sep 05, 2018
vascey:
Just got my CPA membership cheesy

Congratulations smiley. Please could you itemize what the process was for you to get your CPA? Thanks.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 12:24pm On Sep 05, 2018
Nice one on getting the SIN. You now have an apartment or u used someone's address to get your SIN?
katyamizotta:
I got my SIN
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by katyamizotta: 12:52pm On Sep 05, 2018
ottawasenators:
Nice one on getting the SIN. You now have an apartment or u used someone's address to get your SIN?

I used someone's address. I'm here for just a couple of weeks. Just came to see what I'm getting myself into. I thought I'd start from missisuaga but I have changed my mind. I'll settle in a smaller city.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by S4cannyland(f): 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2018
Hi all,

Please I need help with post graduate certifications in IT. I only have a Bsc in computer science from here with no relevant work experience. I want to know if there are courses I can take to get Canadian certification.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DEBJOCH1(m): 1:15pm On Sep 05, 2018
Boss13:

Have you consider custom fees (both in Nigeria and Canada). I know there is a demand for these stuff, especially sweet yam but the duties may make them too expensive to buy.
. YES SIR, THAT WAS WHY I STATED "STARTING SMALL" I ALREADY HAD A CHAT WITH A FRIEND WHO WORK WITH A CURRIER OUTLET HERE AT MMI AIRPORT IN LAGOS, AND HE HAS GIVEN ME WHAT THEY CHARGE PER KILOGRAMS FROM THE NIGERIA END. I INTEND START SENDING FROM 40-50KG, THEN AS TIME PROGRESSES, ONE CAN INCREASE ON THE NUMBER OF KILOGRAMS.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 1:58pm On Sep 05, 2018
katyamizotta:

I used someone's address. I'm here for just a couple of weeks. Just came to see what I'm getting myself into. I thought I'd start from missisuaga but I have changed my mind. I'll settle in a smaller city.

What happened?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mynaija123(m): 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2018
sunvick:
Bro take your time & read and understand this process very well and guard that your 2.5m jealously. A friend of mine went to enroll for fork lift driving for 6months after which he will be given a certificate for that. Its something you can do if you really decide to make a move.
You will qualify for Skill Trades as was advised by a fellow member here

If I get the certificate, will I still need the proof of funds?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:49pm On Sep 05, 2018
mynaija123:

If I get the certificate, will I still need the proof of funds?

Please see these excerpts directly from IRCC website regarding pursuing Express Entry through the Skilled Trades route,

Skilled work experience

Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):
•Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
•Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
•Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
•Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
•Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
•Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we won’t accept your application.

Get assessed by the province or territory

You will likely have to go to the province or territory to be assessed for your trade. You may also need an employer in Canada to give you experience and training.

To learn more about getting assessed, you should go to the website of the body that governs trades for the province/territory where you would like to live and work. The process is different depending on where you want to go.

Each website has more details about certificates of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade, and what you have to do to get one.

So please note it is not enough to get forklift driving certificate there in Nigeria, you may have to come to your desired province here, get tested and then obtain their own trades certificate before you return back to Nigeria to pursue the PR through Express Entry for Skilled Trades.

In my opinion, it's easier to get the PR through Skilled Worker route but here is the link to Skilled Trades requirements on IRCC website for you to study, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/skilled-trades.html

And yes, you will still need to show adequate proof of funds if you are pursuing Skilled Trades, see here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 3:27pm On Sep 05, 2018
Hello All

Please I have a question. I got an email saying that my PR card application was updated. When I logged on, its said application approved and see messages below.

But there is no message below to see. Does this mean that the card has been produced and mailed out?

On the average after the approval how long to receive the actual card in the mail?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 05, 2018
MissMoroti:
abeg my seniors, i need help o. I'm a single applicant and apparently I'm unable to secure housing without credit reports and references!
nawa! landing by first week of October. any suggestions pls??

can someone pls help with this? what other alternatives can i get? since i don't have references or credit reports yet

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2018
MissMoroti:

can someone pls help with this? what other alternatives can i get? since i don't have references or credit reports yet

I got one without credit reports and references. I think it all depends on the landlord/property management company.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:18pm On Sep 05, 2018
MissMoroti:

Hi, it's a numbers game in that, you have to keep searching, looking for accommodation until you find a landlord/building manager who will waive those requirements. As I've previously detailed here, I also got accommodation without credit report and Canadian employment reference. A lot of patience is required as other people also looking for same accommodation but not having those requirements are also hunting. But success is possible. You just have to hunt extra and believe that you will succeed smiley

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 4:19pm On Sep 05, 2018
GlitteringStar:

I got one without credit reports and references. I think it all depends on the landlord/property management company.

You snuck into town eh? Welcome. Hope u r enjoying the town so far?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 05, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

You snuck into town eh? Welcome. Hope u r enjoying the town so far?

Thanks sis. Enjoying this place so far. smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 4:51pm On Sep 05, 2018
katyamizotta:

Can you share your reason for the change of mind? I hope to settle there when I land.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 4:57pm On Sep 05, 2018
And we are here waiting for landing gist. cry
GlitteringStar:

Lol. Thanks sis. Enjoying this place so far. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Peaceful2016(f): 5:21pm On Sep 05, 2018
Hello people
I got my PPR in January and did short landing in May. I had initially planned to return around March/April next year, but I'm having a rethink now. I'm now considering returning in December. However, I'm a bit scared because of the weather. So I'm just here to ask experienced people their opinions on moving to Canada finally in December. What are the pros and cons in your opinion. Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 6:28pm On Sep 05, 2018
geebaby10:
Hello All

Please I have a question. I got an email saying that my PR card application was updated. When I logged on, its said application approved and see messages below.

But there is no message below to see. Does this mean that the card has been produced and mailed out?

On the average after the approval how long to receive the actual card in the mail?

Yes, it should have been sent in the mail. There will be no message or letter attached to your profile. It should be delivered within a week.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 8:38pm On Sep 05, 2018
Peaceful2016:
Hello people
I got my PPR in January and did short landing in May. I had initially planned to return around March/April next year, but I'm having a rethink now. I'm now considering returning in December. However, I'm a bit scared because of the weather. So I'm just here to ask experienced people their opinions on moving to Canada finally in December. What are the pros and cons in your opinion. Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks

Pro: None

Con: Too cold.

Don't try it.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 8:49pm On Sep 05, 2018
A555:

Yes, it should have been sent in the mail. There will be no message or letter attached to your profile. It should be delivered within a week.

Okay. Thanksssss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gistwivkome(f): 9:03pm On Sep 05, 2018
maternal:

Pro: None

Con: Too cold.

Don't try it.
This is scary oooo. I plan to land in January
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:50am On Sep 06, 2018
Peaceful2016:
Hello people
Pros: White Christmas if that means anything to you. More jobs for health care workers.

Cons: Bitterly cold especially in January/February.
Hard to hunt for jobs and get around. Flu season. Winter blues. Shorter days. Less jobs if you are in construction.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/healthy-living/your-health/environment/extreme-cold.html

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 3:03am On Sep 06, 2018
vascey:
Just got my CPA membership cheesy

Congratulations. I remember when it started.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:36am On Sep 06, 2018
If you're in Mississauga or Brampton in Ontario, you can catch free movies and live concerts at Square One, Mississauga or Garden Square, downtown Brampton in the evenings. It's just a way to connect with your community or neighborhood and have a good time while the summer lasts.

14 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.