Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,828 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1988096 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:28am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

Toronto is fools gold. You fell for it, like ive been telling others here to avoid that place. I know the struggle. You're competing with millions of people for a few job positions , high taxes, high rent, high housing prices, etc. My advice? Pack your stuff and head to Alberta. Job or no job. Figure things out when you get here. But if you tell me more about your background such as education, I can help you more.

My sister and her husband were doing fine in Whitby, Ontario. They had good jobs and a mortgage. In 2010, they just wake up one morning and decided to sell their home and moved to Calgary.
Now my sister keeps telling everyone that living in Ontario was a complete waste of life and time.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 3:32am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

My sister and her husband were doing fine in Whitby, Ontario. They had good jobs and a mortgage. In 2010, they just wake up one morning and decided to sell their home and moved to Calgary.
Now my sister keeps telling everyone that living in Ontario was a complete waste of life and time.

@TheCongo2 thank you for your measured response and two cents worth.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:40am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:
Hello,

Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this.

I moved to Toronto in May 2017 and have been finding it challenging finding any sort of work. It is now a life and death situation and need to find work ASAP.

I am in desperate need of assistance and would appreciate any help that anyone can find it in the hearts to offer.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

You mean you can't find any sort of work in Toronto ? That would surprise me given that it is extremely easy to find just any type of work through temp agencies. Have you ever try to contact any agency?
Those agencies can give you a temporary assignment in a company or factory that may range from few days to few months. And often time an assignment can turn into full time employment. They are hundreds of those agencies around the GTA.

But as indicated by maternal, you may look into the option of moving out of Toronto. I conquer that the GTA is crazy.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 3:57am On Jul 28, 2017
salford1:
By october...we might experience the first snow of the winter season and its always a good idea to invest in winter tires. I just got some off kijiji for $200 (tires on rim). They still have about 90% life left on them. These sets of 4 without the rims would easily cost close to $500 when purchased at fountain tires and the likes.

Also...some household items can be purchased for less at dollarstores instead of walmart or superstores...e.g a tin cutter could be sold at the dollar store for $2 and similar item could be sold at

.superstores for close to $10.

if i remember other cost savings tips..i would update.

Yes o. I would say just common hands-on skills..e.g i visited my friend at his home last month and found him replacing two doors in his house...He bought the door from home depot..got some tools and went on youtube to view installation videos. He actually did a good job.

i also replaced my microwave fuse some days ago myself.. I called a technician to help fix the microwave which is installed in a kitchen cabinet...Even though the fuse itself cost just $6. He billed labour at close $150 becuase the microwave was i stalled on a riggid frame above the cooker...He said he would need to unscrew some tight reaching bolts too. I have never done something like that before..but oh well...we learn everyday.

I also replace all the light bulb in my cars myself..i havent done this before too, but when the dealer gave me a quote of $70 to replace a bulb that only cost $10...i had to put on my thinking caps.

Buying a snake to unclogg blocked toilet and sinks could save alot of money instead of calling a plumber. These guys could sometimes charge up to $400 to unclogg a toilet.

I also recharged my car AC myself. Thanks to youtube...

I agree to this 100%. It's diy oo. For the ladies moving here soon buy enuf wigs oo. Braids no be joke o. Except you can afford to pay $80 for Ghana weaving/ $120 for braids. As a housewife for now I can't afford it . I learnt on youtube how to braid my hair myself and actually did a decent job. Bought 3 different human hairs and converted to wigs. Also made 1 braid wig in naija before moving.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 4:03am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

You mean you can't find any sort of work in Toronto ? That would surprise me given that it is extremely easy to find just any type of work through temp agencies. Have you ever try to contact any agency?
Those agencies can give you a temporary assignment in a company or factory that may range from few days to few months. And often time an assignment can turn into full time employment. They are hundreds of those agencies around the GTA.

But as indicated by maternal, you may look into the option of moving of Toronto. I conquer that the GTA is crazy.

@TheCongo2 I am telling the God honest truth when I say that I have not been able to find any sort of work in Toronto. I have registered and met with many recruitment agencies and only 2 of them were prepared to put me forward for 3 roles since May. The employers decided not to proceed as I didn't have 'Canadian experience'. I have applied for work outside my field including retail and hospitality but again have been told I am not qualified to work in these fields.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:07am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

@TheCongo2 I am telling the God honest truth when I say that I have not been able to find any sort of work in Toronto. I have registered and met with many recruitment agencies and only 2 of them were prepared to put me forward for 3 roles since May. The employers decided not to proceed as I didn't have 'Canadian experience'. I have applied for work outside my field including retail and hospitality but again have been told I am not qualified to work in these fields.

Where in Toronto are you located?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 4:12am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

Where in Toronto are you located?

I'm now staying in the GTA (Mississauga) due to the high cost in Toronto.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:58am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

Go and apply for a minimum wage call center job. They're always hiring.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:00am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:
Hello,

Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this.

I moved to Toronto in May 2017 and have been finding it challenging finding any sort of work. It is now a life and death situation and need to find work ASAP.

I am in desperate need of assistance and would appreciate any help that anyone can find it in the hearts to offer.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.
Are you a PR? you mean you landed in may. Less than 2months ago. Did you not land with the required settlement funds?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:03am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

Go and apply for a minimum wage call center job. They're always hiring.

Correct.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:07am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

I'm now staying in the GTA (Mississauga) due to the high cost in Toronto.

As a temporary solution, you may also try Labour Ready Mississauga.
Address: 265 Enfield Pl #8, Mississauga, ON L5B 3Y7
Phone: (905) 206-9442

This is how Labour Ready works:
You get up early in the morning, go to the Labour Ready office and sign an attendance sheet.
You will be asked to seat in a room along with other people. Free coffee is provided wink

Then, different employers (mostly manufactures) would start calling the Labour Ready office requesting for assistance to fill in any type of Labour shortage they are experiencing ( sick employees)
Now, the Labour Ready Office would start sending people to those companies that request assistance.
The person who was the first to sign the attendance sheet at the Labour Ready Office would be sent to the first assignment. (First come First serve)
At the end of the day, when your assignment is over, you would go back to the Labour Ready office to get your pay.
Some employers may want you to return the next day and you may end up staying with them permanently.

As I indicated earlier, this is just a temporary solution you may use in case you have your back against the wall.
If you are single with no kids, why don't you pack your stuffs and get the HELL out of the GTA.

37 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:09am On Jul 28, 2017
salford1:

Are you a PR? you mean you landed in may. Less than 2months ago. Did you not land with the required settlement funds?

Don't mind him/her. That's why I said give us more info so we can help you better. I suspect this person may have visa issues or some sort of work restriction. Can't even find a minimum wage job in the GTA ? That's suspicious.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:10am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

Don't mind him/her. That's why I said give us more info so we can help you better. I suspect this person may have visa issues or some sort of work restriction. Can't even find a minimum wage job in the GTA ? That's suspicious.

maternal, you are a bad boy wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:11am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

The thing is a 6 figure salary in Alberta goes a lot further than 6 figure salary in the GTA would. Just based on the cost of living alone. I'm just curious, what does your sister and in-law do for work.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:19am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

The thing is a 6 figure salary in Alberta goes a lot further than 6 figure salary in the GTA would. Just based on the cost of living alone. I'm just curious, what does your sister and in-law do for work.

My brother in-law is an aircraft engineer. My sister work as an administrator at ADT.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:21am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

maternal, you are a bad boy wink
but that is the truth to be honest. i dont believe thr situation in toronto can be as bad as europe where minimum wage jobs are even hard to come by. I mean in Canada...you can walk into a McD or one of those fastfood and start work latest one week. I havent seen any one rejected by walmart for a job. Of course, these would be transition jobs and absolutly necessary if the OP is in a life and death situation.

if he landed with enough settlement fund, then he could atleast avoid some particular jobs till he gets a better transition job.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 5:22am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

But as indicated by maternal, you may look into the option of moving of Toronto. I conquer that the GTA is crazy.
The thing surprise me too..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 5:40am On Jul 28, 2017
salford1:

but that is the truth to be honest. i dont believe thr situation in toronto can be as bad as europe where minimum wage jobs are even hard to come by. I mean in Canada...you can walk into a McD or one of those fastfood and start work a week later. I havent seen any one rejected by walmart for a job. Of course, these would be transition jobs and absolutly necessary if the OP is in a life and death situation.

if he landed with enough settlement fund, then he could atleast avoid some particular jobs till he gets a better transition job.

@maternal , @ salford1 from the responses I have received from you both so far it is very clear that you are not ready to provide me with any tangible leads or support regarding securing work. I do not have immigration issues, but if it makes you feel better to believe I have immigration issues then please feel free to continue to entertain yourself at my expense. I have applied for call center jobs but have been told that I do not have customer service experience to be qualified to work in the area, despite working in client facing roles abroad. Just because you do not know anyone rejected by Walmart for a job does not mean it does not happen. It does and you can choose to believe it or not. Both of you make a lot of assertions of the system here in Toronto and Canada as a whole, and I wonder if any are actually based on your own personal experience or are you simply spreading fallacies, because I am talking about my own reality to date. To be honest, I was not expecting much as my fellow Nigerians have never really been helpful, rather rude and condensing. I continue to put my hope and confidence in the Lord God Almighty as the Bible says 'It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.' I would caution you to remember that (1) just because your fellow man is in need of assistance does not give you the license to abuse or belittle the person in the name of 'helping' the person; and (2) where you are today is not by your making, or by your own understanding or intelligence but only by the special grace of our Lord. I will end with this 'Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.'

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 5:44am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

As a temporary solution, you may also try Labour Ready Mississauga.
Address: 265 Enfield Pl #8, Mississauga, ON L5B 3Y7
Phone: (905) 206-9442

This is how Labour Ready works:
You get up early in the morning, go to the Labour Ready office and sign an attendance sheet.
You will be asked to seat in a room along with other people. Free coffee is provided wink

Then, different employers (mostly manufactures) would start calling the Labour Ready office requesting for assistance to fill in any type of Labour shortage they are experiencing ( sick employees)
Now, the Labour Ready Office would start sending people to those companies that request assistance.
The person who was the first to sign the attendance sheet at the Labour Ready Office would be sent to the first assignment. (First come First serve)
At the end of the day, when your assignment is over, you would go back to the Labour Ready office to get your pay.
Some employers may want you to return the next day and you may end up staying with them permanently.

As I indicated earlier, this is just a temporary solution you may use in case you have your back against the wall.
If you are single with no kids, why don't you pack your stuffs and get the HELL out of the GTA.

@TheCongo2 Thank you for this information. I was not aware of this. I will investigate and seriously ponder on whether I should move to another province.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:46am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

@maternal , @ salford1 from the responses I have received from you both so far it is very clear that you are not ready to provide me with any tangible leads or support regarding securing work. I do not have immigration issues, but if it makes you feel better to believe I have immigration issues then please feel free to continue to entertain yourself at my expense. I have applied for call center jobs but have been told that I do not have customer service experience to be qualified to work in the area, despite working in client facing roles abroad. Just because you do not know anyone rejected by Walmart for a job does not mean it does not happen. It does and you can choose to believe it or not. Both of you make a lot of assertions of the system here in Toronto and Canada as a whole, and I wonder if any are actually based on your own personal experience or are you simply spreading fallacies, because I am talking about my own reality to date. To be honest, I was not expecting much as my fellow Nigerians have never really been helpful, rather rude and condensing. I continue to put my hope and confidence in the Lord God Almighty as the Bible says 'It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.' I would caution you to remember that just because your fellow man is in need of assistance does not give you the license to abuse or belittle the person in the name of 'helping' the person. I will end with this 'Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.'
You still did not answer my question. Did you land with the required settlement funds or not? i believe you would not be in a life and death situation if you landed with the required funds....atleast till you get a job.
The system has been designed in such a way that your funds would last atleast 6months even if you do not have a job. if you didnt mention life and death..i probably would not have replied you since i do not live in ontario, but then again...i do have lots of friends there; hence, i know what is obtainable in the province with respect to jobs/living.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 5:57am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

@maternal , @ salford1 from the responses I have received from you both so far it is very clear that you are not ready to provide me with any tangible leads or support regarding securing work. I do not have immigration issues, but if it makes you feel better to believe I have immigration issues then please feel free to continue to entertain yourself at my expense. I have applied for call center jobs but have been told that I do not have customer service experience to be qualified to work in the area, despite working in client facing roles abroad. Just because you do not know anyone rejected by Walmart for a job does not mean it does not happen. It does and you can choose to believe it or not. Both of you make a lot of assertions of the system here in Toronto and Canada as a whole, and I wonder if any are actually based on your own personal experience or are you simply spreading fallacies, because I am talking about my own reality to date. To be honest, I was not expecting much as my fellow Nigerians have never really been helpful, rather rude and condensing. I continue to put my hope and confidence in the Lord God Almighty as the Bible says 'It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.' I would caution you to remember that (1) just because your fellow man is in need of assistance does not give you the license to abuse or belittle the person in the name of 'helping' the person; and (2) where you are today is not by your making, or by your own understanding or intelligence but only by the special grace of our Lord. I will end with this 'Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.'

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:18am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

Concerning the life and death situation...You still havent answered my questions...are you a PR, and did you land with the required settlement fund...?
I dont want to jump into conclusion, and God cannot truly be mocked. If you are a PR...then it seems you are basically stuck in Canada with no settlement funds...after you somehow "misrepresented" yourself to CIC and got away with it...yet you feel very comfortable quoting bible verses...hypocrisy at its worst. lol
Anyway, goodluck in your future endeavours.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 6:54am On Jul 28, 2017
@Salford, you have really scared me now. I don't want to chase fools gold. Can the GTA be good for a CFA charter holder? I am now so worried. We've been in finance all our lives. Will there be good finance jobs in other provinces?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:58am On Jul 28, 2017
XX01:
@Salford, you have really scared me now. I don't want to chase fools gold. Can the GTA be good for a CFA charter holder? I am now so worried. We've been in finance all our lives. Will there be good finance jobs in other provinces?
me ke...you must be taking me for someone else lol....
i have always leaned towards Ontario for IT and finance related positions...fusion and blackbuddy are witnesses or should i say testimonies to this fact. Fusion got an IT position i think less than one month of arrival in Ontario even though he landed in Sask..
CFA!..u be oga madam o.
CFA is global just like IT certifications except there are very few charter holders...You wont need to write any conversion exams too...have you tried searching for CFA job posting on indeed with respect to different provinces?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:53am On Jul 28, 2017
salford1:

me ke...you must be taking me for someone else lol....
i have always leaned towards Ontario for IT and finance related positions...fusion and blackbuddy are witnesses or should i say testimonies to this fact. Fusion got an IT position i think less than one month of arrival in Ontario even though he landed in Sask..
CFA!..u be oga madam o.
CFA is global just like IT certifications except there are very few charter holders...You wont need to write any conversion exams too...have you tried searching for CFA job posting on indeed with respect to different provinces?

Sorry o. It wasn't you. Was Maternal and TheCongo2. I pray it works out. Not yet a charter holder. Passed level 2 so have the last level to pass. Do they really discount our Naija work experience? My bp has reduced now. Will try indeed and pray I get something good when I land by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 8:11am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

Brother, there's no need for quoting scriptures. From ur lamentations it looks like u r looking for "high paying" jobs straight away, as you've tried that and u ain't getting results, switch to "lower jobs" pending when u get something of ur liking.

Going hungry for another mans land is not a scripture something o, good luck.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SURGEE(m): 8:20am On Jul 28, 2017
TheCongo2:

Hello Surgee, London may not be the best place but I would prefer it by far than living in Toronto and much less in Montreal. As the say goes to each his own wink

I don't know much about Waterloo though it isn't very far from London. I always pass by on my way to Toronto. It is often considered twin cities with Kitchener and often be refered to as Kitchener-Waterloo. I work with a good number of people who commute daily from Kitchener-Waterloo to London.
I have head a lot about the University of Waterloo and it has a good reputation.
When you get to Waterloo, please update the thread.

Okay. Thank you very much for the information Sir. I will also update the house immediately i land by God's grace. Abeg remember in your prayers oooo (TRV Hopeful)...... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 8:21am On Jul 28, 2017
salford1:

Concerning the life and death situation...You still havent answered my questions...are you a PR, and did you land with the required settlement fund...?
I dont want to jump into conclusion, and God cannot truly be mocked. If you are a PR...then it seems you are basically stuck in Canada with no settlement funds...after you somehow "misrepresented" yourself to CIC and got away with it...yet you feel very comfortable quoting bible verses...hypocrisy at its worst. lol
Anyway, goodluck in your future endeavours.

@salford1 Thank you for making 2 + 2 = 10! I do not find your question relevant and neither do I find it pertinent for me to answer as (1) are you God?; (2) are you Canadian Immigration?; and (3) you have made it expressly clear your decision to not render any help my way. Consequently, I cannot fathom your fascination with knowing more about my situation. You are in a position to help but have decided to turn the other cheek but feel so empowered to mock me. I will continue to quote bible verses at you or anyone else that feels so embolden to trample on and abuse those in need as I am talking only on the basis of the truth. I suggest you ponder on the following very well: 'The LORD mocks the mockers but is gracious to the humble' and let your conscious guide you as from what you have displayed you are smelling greatly of the very thing you are so bold to accuse me of. Tell me, as an educated and enlightened person do you think it is possible for me to enter the country without showing proof of funds? I have gone through some trials since entering this country which is not relevant to anyone as I am not looking for sympathy, all asked for was a little assistance from my own community. To conclude, as you do not want to render any assistance my way then I suggest you do yourself a very big favour and stop harassing me.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:47am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

@salford1 Thank you for making 2 + 2 = 10! I do not find your question relevant and neither do I find it pertinent for me to answer as (1) are you God?; (2) are you Canadian Immigration?; and (3) you have made it expressly clear your decision to not render any help my way. Consequently, I cannot fathom your fascination with knowing more about my situation. You are in a position to help but have decided to turn the other cheek but feel so empowered to mock me. I will continue to quote bible verses at you or anyone else that feels so embolden to trample on and abuse those in need as I am talking only on the basis of the truth. I suggest you ponder on the following very well: 'The LORD mocks the mockers but is gracious to the humble' and let your conscious guide you as from what you have displayed you are smelling greatly of the very thing you are so bold to accuse me of. Tell me, as an educated and enlightened person do you think it is possible for me to enter the country without showing proof of funds? I have gone through some trials since entering this country which is not relevant to anyone as I am not looking for sympathy, all asked for was a little assistance. To conclude, as you do not want to render any assistance my way then I suggest you do yourself a very big favour and stop harassing me.
You replied after I called out your hypocrisy..Now you have changed your story to some "imaginary trials" after landing.....you sounds very sketchy i am afraid.

How do you even know i am in a position to help? I do not know you from adam neither am i your guardian angel in Canada, and even if i can help, i am not under any obligation to do so. No one is getting paid on Nairaland to offer advice or give settling tips to new immigrants.

Goodluck once again in your future endeavor.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 9:02am On Jul 28, 2017
salford1:

You replied after I called out your hypocrisy..Now you have changed your story to some "imaginary trials" after landing.....you sounds very sketchy i am afraid.

How do you even know i am in a position to help? I do not know you from adam neither am i your guardian angel in Canada, and even if i can help, i am not under any obligation to do so. No one is getting paid on Nairaland to offer advice or give settling tips to new immigrants.

Goodluck once again in your future endeavor.

@salford1 I want you to know that every insult and lie you throw my way you are throwing at God. I really pity you and I really advice you to go and kneel down and ask God to forgive you. You are showing yourself to be really heartless, and a true example of what is wrong with Nigeria. Yes, you are right you are under no obligation to help me, so as you have sown so you shall reap.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:08am On Jul 28, 2017
XX01:

Sorry o. It wasn't you. Was Maternal and TheCongo2. I pray it works out. Not yet a charter holder. Passed level 2 so have the last level to pass. Do they really discount our Naija work experience? My bp has reduced now. Will try indeed and pray I get something good when I land by God's grace.
Discounting of work experience to me just means employers prefer grads of Canadian unis or people with Canadian experience to those from overseas...nothing wrong with that. Employers in Nigeria too would prefer a grad from covenant or UI to a grad from a uni in Cotounou or Timbuktu, but several employers don't care and would still call you for interviews. You even have an edge if you hold certifications recognized all over the world.

The interview is now the chance for anyone to prove their worth and value. If they like what they hear at the interview and you sound very convincing, they would pick you over people with Canadian education+experience. I would not worry about the discounting stuff...The sky is wide enough for all birds to fly without collision.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 28, 2017
Nigerian employers prefer grads from anywhere but Nigeria. I stand a better chance at getting a job in Nigeria than a Nigerian trained health professional

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.