Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,436 members, 7,826,689 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1993168 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 5:06pm On Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the updates salford1...

Always useful!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 5:07pm On Jul 27, 2017
salford1:
For new PR's.....

Just drove off to see my mechanic for an off-warranty maintenance work. For all those types of job...i usually drive 30min away to a shop in NE Calgary... i wanted a change, so I called shop located 5min from home to get a quote. I wanted to replace a timing belt, serpentine belt and oil change. i got a quote of $900 .. ,i quickly called my regular shop in NE, and they offered to do the same job for $600. $300 savings! It's always nice to call around for quotes to get a good deal.

Try to avoid mechanics that work in their garage from home. There are lots of them on kijiji. They would charge very low but your car might be butchered, and you wont be under the cover of consumer protection agencies.

Thanks bro for sharing this. Imagine how much one would save if most maintenance work can be done on DIY basis. What other skills do you think would come in handy, especially for new PRs?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 5:09pm On Jul 27, 2017
TheCongo2:

Depends on a number of factors that includes the neighborhood, the city, whether or not you want to share with a roommate
Sharing a 2 or 3 bedrooms can cost you as low as $400.
Renting a studio can cost you as low as $500.
A 1 bedroom apartment may go from $600 to $900

How easy is it to get a studio apartment in Ontario with a monthly rent payment
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:10pm On Jul 27, 2017
By october...we might experience the first snow of the winter season and its always a good idea to invest in winter tires. I just got some off kijiji for $200 (tires on rim). They still have about 90% life left on them. These sets of 4 without the rims would easily cost close to $500 when purchased at fountain tires and the likes.

Also...some household items can be purchased for less at dollarstores instead of walmart or superstores...e.g a tin cutter could be sold at the dollar store for $2 and similar item could be sold at superstores for close to $10.

if i remember other cost savings tips..i would update.

40manlappy:

Thanks bro for sharing this. Imagine how much one would save if most maintenance work can be done on DIY basis. What other skills do you think would come in handy especially for new PRs?
Yes o. I would say just common hands-on skills..e.g i visited my friend at his home last month and found him replacing two doors in his house...He bought the door from home depot..got some tools and went on youtube to view installation videos. He actually did a good job.

i also replaced my microwave fuse some days ago myself.. I called a technician to help fix the microwave which is installed in a kitchen cabinet...Even though the fuse itself cost just $6. He billed labour at close $150 becuase the microwave was i stalled on a riggid frame above the cooker...He said he would need to unscrew some tight reaching bolts too. I have never done something like that before..but oh well...we learn everyday.

I also replace all the light bulb in my cars myself..i havent done this before too, but when the dealer gave me a quote of $70 to replace a bulb that only cost $10...i had to put on my thinking caps.

Buying a snake to unclogg blocked toilet and sinks could save alot of money instead of calling a plumber. These guys could sometimes charge up to $400 to unclogg a toilet.

I also recharged my car AC myself. Thanks to youtube...

40 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2017
Passport pictures: Before going to walmart or oyinbo photo studios..get on kijiji first. Passport pictures are pricey. I think it cost around $30 for 2 copies at Wal-Mart...but on kijiji, you might get an asian photo shop that would give you 4 copies for $6...

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:42pm On Jul 27, 2017
A water hydrant. Sometimes...fire service guy would go on a ticketing mission. last time i was at my mechs place...one of his apprentice briefly parked a car too close to this particular hydrant in the pic and got a $400 ticket. You can see how the cars are parked some distance away.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:48pm On Jul 27, 2017
For muslims....the mcknight mosque in the background .

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2017
The famous calgary playground zone signboard.
Often times...you would find a ghost police vehicle parked somewhere along the a road where the sign begins and end. His traffic radar and camera busy taking pictures of vehicles going over 30km while he reads the newspaper or busy drinking a coffee..

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:57pm On Jul 27, 2017
Babachi:

How easy is it to get a studio apartment in Ontario with a monthly rent payment

Where in Ontario are you intending to stay?
Getting a studio or appartment for rent can be much easier in some places than in other places.
Adding to that, some landlords may be more lenient than others.
The strict landlords may go as far as requesting a credit check, criminal check. They may also want to contact your previous landlord for reference and so on.
But don't worry. If you truly want to find a studio or appartment in Ontario, you will get one in no time. This is Canada, the land of hope.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:06pm On Jul 27, 2017
Who would have imagined... shocked

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2017
salford1:
Who would have imagined... shocked

Camel ke? Looks like I will become a vegetarian in this Canada shocked grin

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, you can also research for your self to see real time rental prices at these sites for various kinds of accommodation in any city:

https://4rent.ca/

https://www.rentfaster.ca/

https://www.trovit.ca/

I actually found my apartment through the hard copy magazine of 4 rent.ca I picked up at a bus stop.

Thanks alot man. Saw what my budget should be like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 6:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
salford1:
If you are in Calgary and searching for where to buy goat meat, shaki, bokoto, tongue, hard chicken, assorted fish e.t.c. These can also be purchased here at Mcknight. Apart from mechanic shops, there are halal butcher shops and Asian groceries stores. Stuffs like ata rodo and ewedu can be found in Asian stores. All the stores in these mall(probably close to 100) are owned by south Asians.
That Asian store @McKnight is cool.. A lot of variety. There is also an Asian shop in NE where assorted seafood are sold.. different types of fish

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SURGEE(m): 7:40pm On Jul 27, 2017
TheCongo2:

Getting an apartment in London was very easy for me. From my perception, there is greater supply than demand in London as oppose to greater demand than supply in places like Toronto. You can go on kijiji to check apartments in London and get in touch with landlords via pohone or email.
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-condos/london/c37l1700214

As for the cost of preschool for children, Kindergarten is free. A child has to be 4 years old of age to start Kindergarten. Any child under 4 should be put in daycare. The cost of daycare may be around $50 per day. But, if you are a permanent resident, you can apply for financial assistance from the government.

Mr thecongo2 should pls be tagged the Mayor of London, Ontario. He's so in love with the city and I love that Sir.

Could you possibly give me some general nuggets about living in Waterloo, Just anything you've heard or know about the city. I'm heading to uWaterloo this fall by Gods grace (TRV Hopeful) and will like to just learn something about the city. ( Kitchener-Waterloo)

Thanks.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:09pm On Jul 27, 2017
SURGEE:

Mr thecongo2 should pls be tagged the Mayor of London, Ontario. He's so in love with the city and I love that Sir.

Could you possibly give me some general nuggets about living in Waterloo, Just anything you've heard or know about the city. I'm heading to uWaterloo this fall by Gods grace (TRV Hopeful) and will like to just learn something about the city. ( Kitchener-Waterloo)

Thanks.

Hello Surgee, London may not be the best place but I would prefer it by far than living in Toronto and much less in Montreal. As the say goes to each his own wink

I don't know much about Waterloo though it isn't very far from London. I always pass by on my way to Toronto. It is often considered twin cities with Kitchener and often be refered to as Kitchener-Waterloo. I work with a good number of people who commute daily from Kitchener-Waterloo to London.
I have head a lot about the University of Waterloo and it has a good reputation.
When you get to Waterloo, please update the thread.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:20pm On Jul 27, 2017
impish:
Hahahaha!

Your post made me smile. When people talk about the high cost of labour in North America, I just smile because I know Mr. O. He installs and fixes everything that spoils here in Nigeria, talk less of abroad. I can see him already packing his drill bits and DIY tools sef. Lmao!

But your tips are so useful. Thank you!! We now can't wait to land and begin this new DIY life smiley

Mrs. O, mycanadianfling blog

yes o. Its actually fun, and you always feel that sense of achievement when you get things fixed and save lots of money. Infact DIY is encouraged. My friends door came with installation manuals and with a little support from Youtube..he saved himself lots of money. Your husband would get lots of tools from home depot.

MummyJaygirls:

Camel ke? Looks like I will become a vegetarian in this Canada shocked grin
grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 9:25pm On Jul 27, 2017
MummyJaygirls:
Slowlybutsurely and babachi have u guys got ur passport back?
Yea got it too after more than 4wks wait. I think it depends on when they are ready at Accra not whether you used dhl. They even prefer you use vfs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 9:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
Babachi:

Yea got it too after more than 4wks wait. I think it depends on when they are ready at Accra not whether you used dhl. They even prefer you use vfs.

Maybe they were over worked that period cos someone recently got his copr in a week.

Anyways, thank God it's back now, the duration doesn't matter anymore.

How won't they prefer vfs when they are both slow, lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 10:53pm On Jul 27, 2017
@salford1, @maternal @TheCongo2

What do you know about living in Ottawa? I would like to hear from you apart from what I have read online. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 12:47am On Jul 28, 2017
Hello,

Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this.

I moved to Toronto in May 2017 and have been finding it challenging finding any sort of work. It is now a life and death situation and need to find work ASAP.

I am in desperate need of assistance and would appreciate any help that anyone can find it in the hearts to offer.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:06am On Jul 28, 2017
40manlappy:
@salford1, @maternal @TheCongo2

What do you know about living in Ottawa? I would like to hear from you apart from what I have read online. Thanks

What exactly do you want to know. I know the city inside and out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:07am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:
Hello,

Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this.

I moved to Toronto in May 2017 and have been finding it challenging finding any sort of work. It is now a life and death situation and need to find work ASAP.

I am in desperate need of assistance and would appreciate any help that anyone can find it in the hearts to offer.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Are you asking for money online?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 1:15am On Jul 28, 2017
@maternal

I am NOT asking for money online. I am asking for advice or connections of how I can land a job.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 1:15am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

Are you asking for money online?

I am NOT asking for money online. I am asking for advice or connections of how I can land a job.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamatwiny(f): 1:53am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

50 an hour is actually a very low wage for a tradesman. I've seen over 100 an hour in the oilfields.

Please list high paying trades in oil field?

my hubby is a Qaqc inspector( elect and instrumentation) in a korean coy that constructs oil facilities. He has also done safety officer work and has nebosh and qms lead auditor. Are those jobs regulated in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 2:00am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

Toronto is fools gold. You fell for it, like ive been telling others here to avoid that place. I know the struggle. You're competing with millions of people for a few job positions , high taxes, high rent, high housing prices, etc. My advice? Pack your stuff and head to Alberta. Job or no job. Figure things out when you get here. But if you tell me more about your background such as education, I can help you more.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 2:09am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

Toronto is fools gold. You fell for it, like ive been telling others here to avoid that place. I know the struggle. You're competing with millions of people for a few job positions , high taxes, high rent, high housing prices, etc. My advice? Pack your stuff and head to Alberta. Job or no job. Figure things out when you get here. But if you tell me more about your background such as education, I can help you more.

Hello, thank you for responding. I have tried to send you a direct message to give you more details. Please let me know if you have received it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 2:12am On Jul 28, 2017
Oluwapelumi87:

Hello, thank you for responding. I have tried to send you a direct message to give you more details. Please let me know if you have received it.

I've received it and ignored it. Ask me what you want to ask me here. We're all here to share info and learn.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 2:15am On Jul 28, 2017
mamatwiny:

Please list high paying trades in oil field?

my hubby is a Qaqc inspector( elect and instrumentation) in a korean coy that constructs oil facilities. He has also done safety officer work and has nebosh and qms lead auditor. Are those jobs regulated in Canada?

Electrician, pipefitter,etc. Perhaps someone here in the trade can answer the last question. But yes almost everything is regulated here. I'm sure your husband can obtain Canadian qualification or equivallent. Then add the abroad experience on his resume. Networking is the key.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwapelumi87: 2:22am On Jul 28, 2017
maternal:

I've received it and ignored it. Ask me what you want to ask me here. We're all here to share info and learn.

Thank you!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.