Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (371) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1988861 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 6:28am On Sep 06, 2018
Another option is to use a co-signer, that is getting someone who already lives and works there with a good credit history to sign the application and lease agreement with you.

You can also search for short term leases like 6 monthly and assure the landlord that you would pay the 6 months rent upfront or the one year lease if you can afford to pay for 1 year.

In your search, lookout for properties listed by the landlords themselves as they are more likely open to such discussions and negotiations that property managers.

MissMoroti:

can someone pls help with this? what other alternatives can i get? since i don't have references or credit reports yet

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 6:51am On Sep 06, 2018
czaratwork:

Congratulations. I remember when it started.

Thanks czaratwork.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 06, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Another option is to use a co-signer, that is getting someone who already lives and works there with a good credit history to sign the application and lease agreement with you.

You can also search for short term leases like 6 monthly and assure the landlord that you would pay the 6 months rent upfront or the one year lease if you can afford to pay for 1 year.

In your search, lookout for properties listed by the landlords themselves as they are more likely open to such discussions and negotiations that property managers.

a year ke!!! lol! i will look out for. thank you so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 7:37am On Sep 06, 2018
Me and you both. I don't even want to think about it. cry
gistwivkome:

This is scary oooo. I plan to land in January
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by NeyofeedNigEnt: 9:17am On Sep 06, 2018
bests:
Dear House,

Dont find my question strange....What is the prospect of getting a good wife in Canada...abi make person do the needful with Naija gals before moving? #Justasking

Bros!
If you fine with athletic/slim body, tall, dark/light skin, fresh u go surely find a nice babe to marry.

But if u don't have all what I mentioned above don't just try it before u do d needful in 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by exquisef: 9:52am On Sep 06, 2018
Good day all

Has any landed senior had their current Nigerian Licence in their married name, whilst their passport/copr was in the maiden name?

I hope this didn't prove to be an issue when applying for a canadian license?

Any one with first hand info should please help.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 11:08am On Sep 06, 2018

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mohddd: 12:12pm On Sep 06, 2018
Good all my landed seniors. Kudos to all the selfless people. It is amazing to see how much people are will to give back to others. Thanks to everyone.
I have been reading from pg 0 am glad I have finally gotten here.
To uncle @Salford plsssss o I will disturb you a lot o because your fmily profile is just like my family's. Husband engineer although civil engineer and wife pharmacist.

Pls I wan to find out because a lot of people have not really said anything about pharmacists and their registration processes.
How long did it take your wife to become licenced pharmacist
Dis she do any bridging program
Please help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Homguy(m): 12:24pm On Sep 06, 2018
katyamizotta:
Didn't get home till 10pm
why? You were sight-seeing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Homguy(m): 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2018
I would like to see this answered too as I am somewhat anxious about resuming as a pharmacist in Canada. Thanks
Mohddd:
Good all my landed seniors. Kudos to all the selfless people. It is amazing to see how much people are will to give back to others. Thanks to everyone.
To uncle @Salford plsssss o I will disturb you a lot o because your fmily profile is just like my family's. Husband engineer although civil engineer and wife pharmacist.

Pls I wan to find out because a lot of people have not really said anything about pharmacists and their registration processes.
Please help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by snowlordng(m): 1:02pm On Sep 06, 2018
Guys my mum has nd in public health with over 10years experience as a government worker ..by God's grace she will get her bsc in public health in January ...is there any chances of getting canadian permanent residence

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 1:20pm On Sep 06, 2018
snowlordng... Congrats in advance to your mum on her BSc. You mum might actually stand a chance of getting Canadian permanent residence... Please check here.
This link might be of help to her as well...
Also use this tool to simulate what her likely score would be.
After checking the above links, please feel free to ask specific questions, I know some people called elders on this forum would be glad to help.

snowlordng:
Guys my mum has nd in public health with over 10years experience as a government worker ..by God's grace she will get her bsc in public health in January ...is there any chances of getting canadian permanent residence
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chizilulu(f): 1:39pm On Sep 06, 2018
Newmum0615:
Me and you both. I don't even want to think about it. cry

We are all in this boat. I have even decided to land in Ontario instead of Alberta as earlier planned. This is really scary!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ethelia(f): 2:38pm On Sep 06, 2018
chizilulu:

We are all in this boat. I have even decided to land in Ontario instead of Alberta as earlier planned. This is really scary!

Please you people should shift for me in the boat as well. Finally decided to land mid October in Alberta. Na God go help us.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chizilulu(f): 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2018
Ethelia:

Please you people should shift for me in the boat as well. Finally decided to land mid October in Alberta. Na God go help us.

Lol cheesy. Yes o. Congratulations in advance smiley smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ethelia(f): 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2018
chizilulu:

Lol cheesy. Yes o. Congratulations in advance smiley smiley

Thanks thanks grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Peaceful2016(f): 3:49pm On Sep 06, 2018
exquisef:
Good day all

Has any landed senior had their current Nigerian Licence in their married name, whilst their passport/copr was in the maiden name?

I hope this didn't prove to be an issue when applying for a canadian license?

Any one with first hand info should please help.

Regards
I didn't have any issue with the above. My G1 license was issued in my maiden name. The lady at the drive test center said she had to use the name on my COPR & intl passport not d name on my license or letter from FRSC.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by exquisef: 4:54pm On Sep 06, 2018
okay thank you
Peaceful2016:

I didn't have any issue with the above. My G1 license was issued in my maiden name. The lady at the drive test center said she had to use the name on my COPR & intl passport not d name on my license or letter from FRSC.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 5:01pm On Sep 06, 2018
I dey greet una o...Please do we have like a Nigerian community in Saskatchewan on WhatsApp...Make una add me na...My questions too much and i need real time answer. Una help ooo.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 5:10pm On Sep 06, 2018
Mohddd:

Please help
would reply later today.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 5:12pm On Sep 06, 2018
double post.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by katyamizotta: 5:19pm On Sep 06, 2018
Zutlin:

Can you share your reason for the change of mind? I hope to settle there when I land.

No reason. It's a beautiful place. I just want to start from a smaller city

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by katyamizotta: 5:20pm On Sep 06, 2018
Homguy:
why? You were sight-seeing?

I got lost.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by snowlordng(m): 6:09pm On Sep 06, 2018
smslive2:
snowlordng... Congrats in advance to your mum on her BSc. You mum might actually stand a chance of getting Canadian permanent residence... Please check here.
This link might be of help to her as well...
Also use this tool to simulate what her likely score would be.
After checking the above links, please feel free to ask specific questions, I know some people called elders on this forum would be glad to help.

thanks I really appreciate. ..I will do it right away
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mohddd: 6:17pm On Sep 06, 2018
salford:
would reply later today.
Thank you Salford. Will be waiting for your response. God bless!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 10:11pm On Sep 06, 2018
Ethelia:

I am waiting for you oo. Loll

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 10:30pm On Sep 06, 2018
exquisef:
Good day all

Has any landed senior had their current Nigerian Licence in their married name, whilst their passport/copr was in the maiden name

Regards

My driver's license was issued in my married name because my naija license was in my married name. My passport/COPR bear my maiden name.

@peaceful. Strange how the reason the lady gave you is the same reason I was told my license has to be in my married name.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by exquisef: 11:08pm On Sep 06, 2018
thank you
merrymum:

My driver's license was issued in my married name because my naija license was in my married name. My passport/COPR bear my maiden name.

@peaceful. Strange how the reason the lady gave you is the same reason I was told my license has to be in my married name.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Shinningqueen31(f): 12:20am On Sep 07, 2018
hotD:
Sooooo...
We got out passport back exactly after 3 weeks by then i had put in my resignation happily and we had started selling our stuff,i bot everything buyable in the market that i knew i wld need for the first 3,4 months,got some winter shoes and jacket from Jos and aliexpress,we actually had to go to the US for a wedding so we planned we wld just enter canada from there,so we booked airfrance to the US and aircanada to come down,we sent our things thru lagos down to canada,we paid almost 500k to send 375kg worth but the agent we used cheated us seriously,it was from this forum i learnt we could ship down,as we got there,we didnt have a particular agent so we picked him from the gate,we took our stuff up,it was weighed and a quote was given which was about 367 via delta airline,our goods were wrapped up in our front,we got receipt for the payment and we left,only for the agent to call us the next day dat he was trying our lines as we left but didnt go tru,dat he had to change d shipping company to virgin atlantic as d one in d delta line did not give my husband d correct rate,dat we are to balance him 90k and virgin atlantic removed all my food stuff and our electronics,i was so mad ehn,first our phone was never swtiched off,secondly u didnt ask if we were ok with it u just went ahead and then opened our bags when we were not there to pick out things but somehow we moved on,we got to canada did all the landing formalities,nothing serious,u just hold your COPR,show them the list of goods accompanying and within 40mins we were out,went to try to trace our luggage discovered virgin atlantic doesnt ship to canada,we started making calls o so they told us they wld ship by land from the US we shld go and collect from a shipping agent here...
So we decided we were going to stay in guelph as i read it has low unemployment rate and is gud for raising a family but we cldnt get an airbnb in guelp but we got in kitchener which is about 20-30 mins drive from guelph.we checked into our apartment fortunately it was in downtown so that evening all the roads where blocked for a festival,everybody came out and enjoying themselves,we too joon them abi now!!!
By the next day the shipping company had contacted us to come pick our stuff so we needed a vehicle and it was in toronto which is quite a drive,d uber that brot us from d airport charged us about $120 so if we are to do that again besides d car mite not be able to carry the load,so we went to u-haul with our naija liscense and dat international drivers permit,luckily d permit helped us dats how we rented a truck and went to carry the things ourselves,as we got back struggling to take d things upstairs,i was waiting down dats how a wait lady walked up to me and greeted me and i smiled back,she introduced herself and said she knows i am naija and her assistant pastor is naija dat we shld come to church on sunday,i have read from this forrum dat person need connection,dats how we went to church on sunday and i can boldly say that woman has been a life saver,i call her Emily my angel.So by the 4th day we decided to get a car,went to a dealer and a gud car starts from $11,000 den u pay tax,tax in ontario is 13% hmmm,so i kept checking kjiji and we got someone who wanted to sell his toyota venze for $13,000...d good thing here is that before anyone sells his car to you he has to take it for a test from that result u can tell if the car is gud or not,so nobody can hide anything,so we got the car,pretty smooth deal but insurance became the problem nobody wanted to insure a car with naija liscencei got d link posted on dis forum to practise for d drivers liscence test and we did practice got there and d queue was long ehn,i told oga lets come early d next day d man say nooo,today today we must write it,we waited for almkst 4hours and it it got to us,we both passed got our G1,picked a date for G2 test so eventually we got an insurance company that agreed to do insurance for us online,it was done instanstly but very pricey we had to pay for 2 months since none of us is working,to get phone lines,rogers and bell refused to sign us up,no work history,no canadian passport and no guarantor but we got a line with koodo inside walmart,their internet service is pretty expensive,i wld discard dem as soon as i get my temporary drivers liscence.
We went to the multicultural centre too,registered with them,d major help was with writing our cv to canadian format,which d employment agency helped out with and hubby started submitting and the calls for interviews started,got about 4 interviews in a week and he finally settled for a telecom so within 3 weeks he got a job.
Then the biggest challenge -accomodation hmmm,to get house here na serious war o,as we first landed in Kitchener my hubby fell in love with the place so he didn’t bother going to check guelh out(mistake number 1),so we started house hunting in kitchener,all of them asked for pay stubs,work reference,guarantor bla bla d moment they hear u dont have work yet they are not willing to help,we even offered to pay 6 month cash in one condominium,they rejected d offer,hubby was so pained ehn and d houses are pretty expensive 2 bedroom starts from $1400 here except u want to stay where those indians stay but i have a small kid so i need to watch d environment she stays in..so d accomodation thing was d biggest challenge,we had to extend our airbnb so we cld get a place,and that is how Emily my angel helped us get a place,stood as a guarantor,gave them cheques for d balance of six months...somebody dat just met me on d road,i mean..
So all in all we’ve been here for a month today and most things are pretty much settled,kitchener is not a friendly place to me,hubby is now regretting we didnt check guelph out as it looks alot more friendlier dan kitchener.for me i just registered for CSC as i am expectant so i no wan stress myself at all,hoping by d time i am done with baby matter i wld have my cert to fully enter the job market,hubby is taking a course in project management as they are well paid here so we doing a week in toronto(canada oshodi)...
Feel free to ask anything,i would try to respond.
Thank you
please I'll need the frsc Email address and how you applied for the letter. Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunky644(m): 4:21am On Sep 07, 2018
Kindly contact me on what's app pls 2348034499942, a fellow metabolite (lecturer and PhD student too) probably need ur help/guidance. Thanks

xtosync:
Please, I would love to find out from experienced and landed seniors in the house:

1. Between getting a job as a post doc student (Faculty position/Academia) and a job in IT, which is more lucrative and have brighter prospect for an immigrant? (not necessarily software development as I am not fully grounded in it yet. Although I have beginners knowledge on Android and Web development.).

2. Which of the two job areas is more available, easier to get and with less competition? Target Provinces are, but not limited to Ontario and Alberta.

Thank you in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:32am On Sep 07, 2018
Mohddd:

Please help
According to wife;

Federal: Evaluating exam - 2days, and Qualifying Exam: Part I: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and Part II: Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).max 3 attempts at each.

Provincial: Ielts academic, Internship (applicant would need to apply for job posting for interns), and Jurispundence. Length/requirements of internship and level of difficulty of jurispundence exam vary across provinces.

I believe it took her between 2 to 3 years. She attended a bridging program too. The bridging program helped in connecting her with other IPGs, and they were able to form study groups. Some bridging programs are not free (10k to 15k) while some are also free. She attended the bow valley free bridging program in Calgary. You have to research bridging programs available in your province of choice. Some bridging programs are mandatory depending on province.

Textbooks includes Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties, Compendium of Therapeutic Choices, Compendium of Therapeutics for Minor Ailments, and Comprehensive Pharmacy review. She also used past questions from an author called Dr. Misbah. She attended another program (pharm achieve) for the OSCE. It's a 2 or 3 day tutorial program (cost around $5k).

She mentioned that over the years, review guides has changed since she got her license. So you might want to double check with someone presently taking the exams. This is where the study groups and bridging classes come in to lead you in the right direction.

All in all. One needs to be dedicated to clear the exams and all other requirements.

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:45am On Sep 07, 2018
Ifywhyteman:
I dey greet una o...Please do we have like a Nigerian community in Saskatchewan on WhatsApp...Make una add me na...My questions too much and i need real time answer. Una help ooo.
There are Nigerian communities in Saskatchewan. Not sure of any on whassap, but there is a group for Nigerians in Saskatoon on facebook. I think you were also asking a question about drivers license in one of your post. Drivers license and insurance is handled by the government in Saskatchewan. You can call SGI on
1-844-855-2744 or email: sgiinquiries @ sgi.sk. ca

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.