Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:53 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (416) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981524 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 10:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
cochtrane:

@Einsteino, What did you finally decide on here? I have found myself in the same situation pretty much.

Irrespective of the number of years of experience you have from Naija as an Engineer, you need a minimum of one year practicing and doing engineering duties in same role of your discipline to be considered for a P.Eng license. Having said that, I will advice you start of on arrival as an EIT as that will afford you good time to scout the engineering jobs related to discipline to gain the needed minimum of a year experience for the P.ENg application and you as well can write your professional exam during that period also.

cc: einsteino, this information may be useful after your excursion around choice destinations. You may also consider voyaging on Titanic II which is set to sail in 2022
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cochtrane(m): 11:42pm On Oct 26, 2018
ceemac:

Irrespective of the number of years of experience you have from Naija as an Engineer, you need a minimum of one year practicing and doing engineering duties in same role of your discipline to be considered for a P.Eng license. Having said that, I will advice you start of on arrival as an EIT as that will afford you good time to scout the engineering jobs related to discipline to gain the needed minimum of a year experience for the P.ENg application and you as well can write your professional exam during that period also.

cc: einsteino, this information may be useful after your excursion around choice destinations. You may also consider voyaging on Titanic II which is set to sail in 2022
Yeah, you are mostly right. But one can also apply as Licensee without needing Canadian experience, don't you think?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 11:55pm On Oct 26, 2018
einsteino:

Merci Beaucoup, thank you so much.

you sure cracked me up. Welcome to my province.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:42am On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:

Thanks for the clarification.
Another reason cars are cheaper in Quebec the application of salt on roads. During winter, salt is used in de-icing the road compare to say Alberta or Sask where sands or gravel are poured on the roads, but this doesn't deter people from traveling to Quebec to buy cars at discounted price.

Nice to know you are settling down.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 2:44am On Oct 27, 2018
cochtrane:

Yeah, you are mostly right. But one can also apply as Licensee without needing Canadian experience, don't you think?

AS APPLICABLE IN ONTARIO AS OF TODAY:

You can only apply as an EIT without a Canadian experience, You do need a minimum of 1 year Canadian Experience to be eligible for P.Eng and that will also include taking your Professional Practice Exam (PPE).

Find below the Licencing Requirements as regards work experience:

Licensing Requirements
• Acceptable engineering education
• Professional Practice Examination
•Good character (i.e. no criminal record)
• References (all supervisors, minimum of one
P.Eng.)
• 48 months of acceptable engineering experience
(12 months must be within a Canadian jurisdiction)

The below link may be of further clarity:

http://www.peo.on.ca/index.php/ci_id/30275/la_id/1.htm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tobore187: 7:44am On Oct 27, 2018
Still awaiting responses and advise from you all. thanks

tobore187:
Good day seniors in the house, Started from page one, thread one here as advised and its been a wealth of information and useful tips gathered so far.
I had to jump pages to get here because i have a burning question to ask, questions really but i'll drop these first.
** I have searched on Indeed but Health and Safety jobs doesnt seem to abound there. From ground experience please what is it like over there?
I graduated SLT (Chemistry), did CIEH 2 and 3 and was intending to continue on the HSE pathway when we get to canada but i don't know if its a ready market and what the pay is like(Calgary or Ottawa) also if i have to write some other certifications to be able to start at all in that career pathway considering i don't have previous work experience here in Nigeria.
*** I have five years banking experience (Cashier and Customer service) and jobs abound on indeed though varying wages in the different provinces and companies. Should i just continue in that path, write a couple of professional certifications to establish myself and just forget i ever read sciences? Is there much room for career advancement there?
****My husband is an IT support person/Project management/BA, from experience where do you think its best to live in...ottawa or Calgary? I sort of prefer Ottawa for jobs for him but houses don't come really cheap there for beginners like us, Calgary seems to ace in that and we have family there.

Please kindly advise.

@Blackbuddy, @Salford Please pitch in too thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 8:48am On Oct 27, 2018
rainazoe:
But they have to make landing before the visa expiry date.

definitely, next year according to her
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by REDBULL1(m): 9:38am On Oct 27, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by REDBULL1(m): 9:40am On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino, I enjoyed your write-up. I have a question.
how difficult was it to get accommodation? which parts had affordable and secure accommodation? Pls tell your "finding accommodation " story. Me dey seriously reason settling for Montreal when I move.
ehen even licensing for driving. Pls o give us info.
thanks bro
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:58am On Oct 27, 2018
tobore187:
Good day seniors in the house, Started from page one, thread one here as advised and its been a wealth of information and useful tips gathered so far.
I had to jump pages to get here because i have a burning question to ask, questions really but i'll drop these first.
** I have searched on Indeed but Health and Safety jobs doesnt seem to abound there. From ground experience please what is it like over there?
I graduated SLT (Chemistry), did CIEH 2 and 3 and was intending to continue on the HSE pathway when we get to canada but i don't know if its a ready market and what the pay is like(Calgary or Ottawa) also if i have to write some other certifications to be able to start at all in that career pathway considering i don't have previous work experience here in Nigeria.
*** I have five years banking experience (Cashier and Customer service) and jobs abound on indeed though varying wages in the different provinces and companies. Should i just continue in that path, write a couple of professional certifications to establish myself and just forget i ever read sciences? Is there much room for career advancement there?
****My husband is an IT support person/Project management/BA, from experience where do you think its best to live in...ottawa or Calgary? I sort of prefer Ottawa for jobs for him but houses don't come really cheap there for beginners like us, Calgary seems to ace in that and we have family there.

Please kindly advise.

@Blackbuddy, @Salford Please pitch in too thanks
I know there use to be lots of Occupational Health and Safety jobs during the oil boom in Alberta. Not sure how the industry is fairing for OH&S professionals now. This is an industry I know very little of. All I remember was that people use to take a one year certificate course at a college in one of the maritime provinces then end up in the oil sand. I can't recall the name of the certificate neither do i remember if they needed professional certification.

However, Chemists seems to be doing well here. You might have to take up junior level roles to begin with. Contact ferfer on this thread or the canadian dependant visa thread. He is a Chemist and got a job in BC not long after he landed. He might be able to give you some pointers.

Since you already have some experience in customer services, it might be easier to tow that path. You could get into goverment or private companies as a customer service rep then work your way up through internal vacancies to an higher position.

I have never lived in Ottawa so I can't comment on housing for the city, but cost of housing is fair in Calgary. Maybe from $850/month (basements and single room) upwards. Note that an apartment renting for less than a thousand might not be as good another renting for say $1300 per month. You would have to view and much depends on your pocket and what you can afford. Not sure about how common IT/ Business Analysts jobs are in Calgary.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by softandmoist(f): 11:16am On Oct 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

Please who is coming to Regina SK, or knows anyone coming between now and December?

I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2018
joo2018:
Great story! It's a real wakanda story! cheesy grin cheesy
@rainazoe. Based on the little I've browsed, there are French immersion programs for kids in most if not all school districts in Canada (here). New Brunswick is officially bilingual. Ontario and Manitoba have high French speaking populations.
Basically, you have options if it is for the kids.

That's true boss, NB is the only officially bilingual province but my friend there says it isn't really serious on ground. like you said, there are french programs in other provinces. I too I'm considering moving out of Quebec, to learn french elsewhere without the pressure of my career depending on it and maybe return in future with my horned french skills if Montreal is still bae to me.

kids have immersion program in almost all of canada(though quality seems to vary, I read some complaints on quora) but there is nothing for adults other than language classes(this differs from immersion). However, you can simulate the immersion anywhere for yourself, make french the default language of your phone, start watching french movies with subtitles, watch news in french, listen to french songs and go on apps to chat up french babes if possible (guys brain dey usually overclock once babe enter the equation grin ). Easier said than done, but if na wetin dey give you voltage, you go run am.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 1:01pm On Oct 27, 2018
Jasmine17:

This guy shocked You are good. What a wonderful explanation.

ottawasenators:
Usually, i hardly read long epistles.

I kept on reading and the information passed was clear and interesting to follow through.

Nice 1 and best wishes as you decide on where to finally settle in. cheers!!!

una dey burst my head o. thanks alot

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by REDBULL1(m): 2:09pm On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:

una dey burst my head o. thanks alot

how difficult was it to get accommodation? which parts had affordable and secure accommodation? Pls tell your "finding accommodation " story. Me dey seriously reason settling for Montreal when I move.
thanks bro

ps: if you've done so already, kindly share the link
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 2:11pm On Oct 27, 2018
cochtrane:

@Einsteino, What did you finally decide on here? I have found myself in the same situation pretty much.

boss I applied for EIT instead. You can apply for P.Eng if you wish, if everything checks out, you be given a deferred approval ie you would be given 2years to get the 1yr canadian work experience before they proceed with other steps. If you fail to get it before the two years, your application would be cancelled and you would have to start afresh. Note: the two years starts counting from the day you submit your application and it typically takes 6months for them to review and reach a decision to place you on hold.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 3:52pm On Oct 27, 2018
REDBULL1:

thanks bro

ps: if you've done so already, kindly share the link

ehm I don't think I qualify to answer that. This is because I still haven't decided to settle in Montreal, like I said, I may leave soon. From day 1, i made sure I kept my options open. I shied away from getting a lease, I refused to apply for a Quebec health card, you know pretty much anything to ensure nothing ties me down until I decide to settle here. As per accommodation, what I did was to pay a nigerian to stay at his place. I know for a fact his rent is 620 cad, it is a full bachelor apartment. All around his building there are "A louer"(for rent) signs put up to show there are available rentals, so my guess is that it is fairly easy to get a place. Compared to most Canadian cities, Montreal's rent is very cheap, that I can say with certainty. I have a friend staying in a shared apartment for 340cad a month, though it isnt as fanciful as more pricey ones that I have seen.

I also haven't got a driver's license yet because on https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/drivers-licences/foreign-drivers-licence/ it says that if I have less that 1 year driving experience I would need to start from the GDL.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 3:53pm On Oct 27, 2018
ceemac:

grin grin grin grin I be poor man pikin o, 2022 ke, where I go see the money to survive?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cochtrane(m): 3:59pm On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:

boss I applied for EIT instead. You can apply for P.Eng if you wish, if everything checks out, you be given a deferred approval ie you would be given 2years to get the 1yr canadian work experience before they proceed with other steps. If you fail to get it before the two years, your application would be cancelled and you would have to start afresh. Note: the two years starts counting from the day you submit your application and it typically takes 6months for them to review and reach a decision to place you on hold.
Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Expectantbee: 3:59pm On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:

for a family, Montreal has alot going for it. a 2 bedroom apartment here can be as low as 750 cad, 850cad to 1000cad in downtown montreal! in Toronto that can easily cost you 2200cad! cars are also much cheaper here and the city is lovely to raise a family. Anyways let me tell you a story that would help put things to perspective.

I have been doing some shopping, mehn converting from naira to CAD is the most sadistic mathematical operation. Anyways, to make good savings on my shopping, I have been hopping from one thrift store to another, trying to get the best quality at the least price. So yesterday I found another thrift store on google map to try out. It was about 17 stops away by train and another 4 stops away by bus. I took the subway to the other side of town, got off and made to catch a bus from the metro station to the Thrift store. On getting to where google map said I was to board a bus to the shop, I found a hand written notice placed over the Bus-stop sign but since it was in french, I was like make una carry una wahala go. So I just stood there waiting for the bus, it was 0 degrees and every second out in that cold felt like eternity. A gorgeous lady walked up to me and spoke some french to me. Walahi I didnt hear a word! listening to french is much harder than reading it, at least while reading I can make out the words even if I don't understand them, spoken french esp in the Quebecois accent sounds like someone is rapping in high Valyrian.

I just replied "Sorry... I dont understand french", she looks at me in pitiful shock and asks "Anglais?", I replied "Oui". In my little head, now she would speak something I can comprehend, some good old English...Instead she resorted to speaking the french very slowly grin I didnt get much but now I understood she was trying to tell me something important about the bus I was waiting for. At this point, I took out my phone and copied the words on the notice to my Google translate app, my fingers turned ice cold in those few seconds I spent typing... only for Google translate to pour out some incomprehensible English translation as the reward for my finger's effort. aaaah! I was like which kind sufferhead be this na. na FSW i be no be PNP, which kind over sabi carry me come Montreal sef? I no even know wetin dey sup with my bus or this notice, See fine babe wey i for even shine teeth give if we dey speak the same language sef... Anyways, since two of us no fit communicate and this bus no gree show, mek I kuku go take subway go back house house before my battery die. I looked at the lady and I muttered "Merci et Bonne nuit", as I made to walk away, she cautioned me to wait for her to try one more time. she heaved a sigh of frustration, picked her phone and called someone hoping he could help translate, the person laughs hard and said some inaudible thing in french... she drops the call and looks me in the eye like "this coconut head how wouldn't you even know a little french, are you trying to die in this cold?"

Then she reaches into her bag, gets some paper and a pen and starts using her hand to make signs like someone talking to a deaf and dumb wey no go school.. then finally says "you.. booos number? booos number?"... I tell her my bus number, she writes it down, then she says "me booos number 97.." points at me and then at herself, circles both our bus number and then points at the notice and says "booos stasion laurent"... Omg! I finally understood i was waiting in futility, the bus I was waiting for has been rerouted from Metro Mount Royal to Station Laurent! turns out the road repair works necessitated it be rerouted for some hours(please note that I said hours, not days o.. I returned 45minutes later to see the road open and traffic already plying the freshly asphalted road! Naija get centuries to come up sha). Anyways I thanked her and we tagged along, a young boy walks by and she asked him for direction to St laurent, the guy explained in french, she turns around trying to tell me what he said but remembers I dont quite understand french.. she tells the boy that I only understand english, he switches from fluent french to fluent english almost unconsciously.. I mean he speaks the two languages with native proficiency, his french has the Quebecois accent, his English the usual Oyibo fonerisation and intonation without the overlapping french accent.

Here bilingualism is like a norm but I have realized that it is often teenagers that are fluently bilingual, folks in late twenties speak English and french but for most of them, their proficiency in one of the languages rarely meets up to native proficiency; people in their 50s upwards are usually monolingual, they speak either English or French and just know a few words in the other. If you come to Montreal, your kids would likely end up bilingual like most kids their age here. Since it would put them in a situation where everyday they would meet someone who only speaks one of the two languages, they would have to speak the two languages everyday but french would dominate. That way they get french and still keep the most economically important language in the world, English! but how about you? you would be just like me, risking the possibility of freezing in the cold cos you cant read a damn notice in french even when you life depends on it. lol.

I like the vibe of doing it for your kids, but you do know your job and happiness would affect your kids too. So if you get frustrated with the language thing, it may wear off on your kid's happiness too. You can pretty much get customer care jobs, factory jobs etc with your English, with this you can pay your bills and save a bit. if you land in Montreal, just go to Randstaad at 333 Cote Vertu, they would interview you immediately and fix you up soon as they get you a job that matches your strength and interest. but if you are a career person, someone whose happiness hinges on finding fulfillment in your job, say you hope to work as an Engineer, a lawyer etc. then you should know without french, Montreal would hardly give you the opportunity you seek.

Can't you learn french and move up the career ladder? Yes you can learn french, actually the Govt of Quebec may pay you if you register to learn french full-time, and if you join a part time french class, the fee would be waived for you. But please note, work place french is not moi moi, it means you have to get at least intermediate proficiency in french. if you attend part time french classes for say 3months, you should be able to know enough french to enable you guess what folks are saying. 1year of part time french class and you would be able to pretty much form Quebecois but still may not know enough french to work as an Engineer in Quebec! You know the way Aboki knows English but keep messing up the pronoun I, "I dey crase?" that's the struggle here. Learning the meaning of words is easy, learning to conjugate verbs and pronounce words correctly is not too easy but doable but learning lexis of structure and grammatical rules at this age... oboy that's punishment! especially those stupid rules that have exceptions with no other explanation than that's the way it is. So you need to know that you may put in all your effort into french and at the end of the day, you are only able to speak it the way an Aboki speaks English. that's enough to get you moving around and working survival jobs, but not at a professional job that cares for top notch communication skills in french. Given, some people have an aptitude for language and may get native proficiency in a year, but only you can say if you are one of those people or don't mind the challenge and relegating career ambitions for a while.

You see another advantage of your adventure, now whether you decide to stay Quebec or not, your reasons would be from your own experience not he said,she said . I envy you small sha lol. Me I’m just going to pack my bags to GTA in 2 weeks and stay there until I have a reason to move.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:52pm On Oct 27, 2018
�� okay me and my waka waka need to get in check... Saint Joseph Oratory of Montreal. I took most of the photos in a hurry cos it was very cold out there and I still havent been able to buy a hand glove that is touchscreen compatible. I'd appreciate any recommendation for one that actually works well.

Photo 1

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 5:10pm On Oct 27, 2018
Photo 2

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 5:18pm On Oct 27, 2018
Okay so at the Oratory, this two brave folks climbed up(about 40ft above ground) just to watch the sun set over the city. When your country hasn't enough problems and you are without a doubt that your doctors can put Humpty Dumpty together again grin

anyways thanks to them, they gave me an opportunity to capture this.

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:

grin grin grin grin I be poor man pikin o, 2022 ke, where I go see the money to survive?

If actually you're still broke in 2022 all the more reason to join the boat. You could be the Jack and find your rich Rose there. But please make sure you're the Jack that lives to tell the tale...

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Luce: 5:58pm On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:

ehm I don't think I qualify to answer that. This is because I still haven't decided to settle in Montreal, like I said, I may leave soon. From day 1, i made sure I kept my options open. I shied away from getting a lease, I refused to apply for a Quebec health card, you know pretty much anything to ensure nothing ties me down until I decide to settle here.

Tempted to toe this free spirit line grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 6:08pm On Oct 27, 2018
Overseas fraud: an increasing threat to the safety of Canadians

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/overseas-fraud
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jasmine17(m): 6:56pm On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:
�� okay me and my waka waka need to get in check... Saint Joseph Oratory of Montreal. I took most of the photos in a hurry cos it was very cold out there and I still havent been able to buy a hand glove that is touchscreen compatible. I'd appreciate any recommendation for one that actually works well.

Photo 1

Do you know you can make good money selling these pictures to stock sites? The quality is better than most PC wallpapers sef.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 6:58pm On Oct 27, 2018
Our dear country, always on the lead. Sigh.
joo2018:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 55emem55: 7:02pm On Oct 27, 2018
Wow. Just look at the way Africa is disgracing itself. I hope this doesnt have a negative turn on people willing to migrate legally.

joo2018:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jasmine17(m): 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2018
Newmum0615:

New mamaa.

Hope you are doing great now. Was thinking you will be in Canny now o.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 8:25pm On Oct 27, 2018
Jasmine17:

Do you know you can make good money selling these pictures to stock sites? The quality is better than most PC wallpapers sef.

Thanks alot. I really need to explore that. Right now, I just see it as a hobby. I do feel I would get better photos when I go Aurora hunting in Alberta someday.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by swizy: 8:26pm On Oct 27, 2018
Newmum0615:

Hello Newmum0615, sorry to bother you this much. Please I sent you a pm. I'll appreciate if you could assist.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sconp: 9:21pm On Oct 27, 2018
einsteino:

Thanks alot. I really need to explore that. Right now, I just see it as a hobby. I do feel I would get better photos when I go Aurora hunting in Alberta someday.
Which phone do you use in taking this pictures

(1) (2) (3) ... (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.