Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (436) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984953 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:07pm On Nov 17, 2018
jelmusboy:
Choi, that's good to hear. Salford is a nice place to leave with cheap convenient stores everywhere. You know Castle Irwell?

I lived on Seaford Road, so I know Castle Irwell well smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Obi1conte: 2:31pm On Nov 17, 2018
Obi1conte:
Phew!!!!! ALL 435 pages in the bag. I've learnt soooooo much. God bless you ALL. Now let me go back to the sister thread where i officially belong to for now.
I'LL BE BACK!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 3:14pm On Nov 17, 2018
Could you please upload the picture of the thermal wear you got? Couldn't get it where I went to

Estac:

,U can also try this guy, Amarachi Winter +234 803 623 8196. I've made 2 trips to yaba and both times I ended up buying at his shop cos he has top grade items esp on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Great personality too.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bawss1(m): 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2018
salford:

Winter gears from the UK would not work efficiently in Canada. Their winter apparels are not suited for the extreme cold in Canada. I moved here from the UK and ended up throwing my UK winter jacket in the trash bin.

It depends on where one buys winter gear from. Mountain Warehouse is a UK brand that sells winter gear well suited for Canadian winters, their Mountainlife Extreme line of apparels can be used in subzero temperatures here. They are just as good, if not better, than the likes of North Face, etc. I have several of their jackets and have used them comfortably for outdoor winter activities and sports.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 17, 2018
Flu season is here! Flu shot is very important. Try to get yours. smiley

Cc: All Landed Immigrants.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 17, 2018

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:00pm On Nov 17, 2018
Bawss1:

It depends on where one buys winter gear from. Mountain Warehouse is a UK brand that sells winter gear well suited for Canadian winters, their Mountainlife Extreme line of apparels can be used in subzero temperatures here. They are just as good, if not better, than the likes of North Face, etc. I have several of their jackets and have used them comfortably for outdoor winter activities and sports.
Nice to know.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daks02: 6:03pm On Nov 17, 2018
Salford is the more affordable option in manchy and it’s close to city Center. I was just two stops away from deansgate and arndale.
salford1:
you are right. I lived at salford all through my uni and time in the UK; hence, why my username is Salford.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by armstead: 6:08pm On Nov 17, 2018
michael1:
Dear All,

Well, my wife travelled 34 weeks and delivered the baby in Canada, she got her Alberta Health card immediately she landed and both mother and child are fine. As a matter of fact, mother has gotten her PR card

Regards

Congrats man!!! Let this not pass me by. To corroborate this testimony, my wife also travelled in recently at 36 weeks plus few days to 37weeks and delivered our baby in Canada, although she didn’t get Alberta Health card immediately, she was only provided with her healthcare number at the Registry; which she used to visit hospitals. Mother and child are also fine. Howbeit, we’re still expecting our PR cards.

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 6:10pm On Nov 17, 2018
We Salford brethren plenty here ooo.

daks02:

Salford is the more affordable option in manchy and it’s close to city Center. I was just two stops away from deansgate and arndale.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2018

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2018
daks02:

I worked at the Barclays on Deansgate (around Hardman). I miss those days sha. Days of being a single man and carefree. Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:38pm On Nov 17, 2018
jelmusboy:
We Salford brethren plenty here ooo.

Not only Salford. Manchester people plenty here small.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:44pm On Nov 17, 2018
Guitarlife:

Wait is this not the normal catarrh wey we dey get here for naija.
No. I once had flu back in the UK. I initially thought it was common cold(similar symptoms). It got to a point that I felt like a thousand needles were pushed into my nose and throat. I quickly left work when I could not bear the pain and accompanying fever. I thought i was going to die. I threw up all self- medications I ingested. My friends immediately checked me into an hospital where I spent the next 3 days being attended to by nurses and doctors. I was administered a special medication which was not sold at pharmacies for those 3 days. Moving on, I don't joke with flu shot for myself and family. Flu kills people here especially older and younger ones. Not saying anyone is going to catch the flu, but it's free to get a flu shot...Better to be safe.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/flu-has-caused-82-deaths-in-canada-but-it-s-not-too-late-to-get-the-shot-doctors-1.3766999

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 17, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 17, 2018
salford1:

Gbam! The flu shot is very important.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Luce: 8:46pm On Nov 17, 2018
Estac:

,U can also try this guy, Amarachi Winter +234 803 623 8196. I've made 2 trips to yaba and both times I ended up buying at his shop cos he has top grade items esp on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Great personality too.

Is it possible to get a price range please. First time buyer, so I need a reference range to price from. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lhimeet(m): 8:50pm On Nov 17, 2018
mcstan18:
People take off from Nigeria every week but there are no landing stories shared here. Are they still airborne?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hustla(m): 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2018
solos007:
Well...A+ is a very good starting point. It helps you get down with the basics.

After that, it now depends on your interest.

Operations: infrastructure(Hardware, Cloud Technologies, Networks, Servers, Storage, End-User Devices, BYOD)

Software:Software developer(Programmers), Web developer (FrontEnd & BackEnd), Database Admins (DBAs),Graphics & Animation)

Governance & Compliance :Security (CISSP, CISA, CISM,CEH,GPEN,SANS,OSCP),ITIL,TOGAF)

Analysis: Business Intelligence (BI), Big Data & Analytics, Data Science & Modeling

Can you please recommend or share books you read or that i can read for the bolded... Also sites i can get dumps from?

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daks02: 9:03pm On Nov 17, 2018
I was just thinking the same! Simple times smiley

salford1:

I worked at the Barclays on Deansgate (around Hardman). I miss those days sha. Days of being a single man and carefree. Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hustla(m): 9:07pm On Nov 17, 2018
Yooku:

I think I visited this thread after some months just in time to speak to you.....Don’t take the 65k!!! You are being lowballed big time cool shocked You have an impressive array of skills which should fetch you not less than 80k minimum. I have a similar profile though more focused on Cisco/Juniper with a CCIE RS to crown it and 2 weeks after landing I had an offer of 90-100k but declined due to some pertinent personal reasons. I currently have a contract with a telco which is worth about 70k which is “below market-rate” for my profile as the recruiter even admitted but I took it cos it fit with my plans for this year. Don’t get excited because you can get flustered when you realize quickly you have got a raw deal. Just go to Indeed.ca and see the plethora of jobs there. You are overskilled sha...I will take just your Cisco certs and tell you that you are worth at least 80k.... And you have experience with Vsphere, Netscaler, Palo Alto and F5 and you wanna take 65k? My advice to you...Look for a perm-role which will not offer less than 80k or get incorporated and get a contract for starters to build some Canadian experience for like 6 months and start looking for perm roles in the 90-110k range. It’s easier to leave a contract than a perm job.All you need is 1 or 2weeks notice and fewer HR hoops to jump through. Use LinkedIn...I’ve gotten tired of recruiters trying to romance me for roles all over and even in the US. You know you have arrived when the recruiters are literally begging you to let them place you in a role. Maybe we should take this offline if you wish but once again.....DONT TAKE THE 65k!!!!! Thank me for this advice later cool I hope I don’t get roasted for this but this is the realest I can get with you as a fellow IT professional. Cheers!!!

Sent u a PM bro
Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 9:17pm On Nov 17, 2018
sentra05:

Hello everyone,

Please what do you think of project management and supply chain prospects for immigrants in canada? Are they fields where an immigrant can break into successfully? Are there jobs?

I'm thinking of enrolling for a graduate certificate program in conestoga college in any of these programs. It is just a one year program.

Please seniors in the house, what do you think?
Hi.. Its not a bad idea. But do your research on Supply chain mgt and the various aspects to it, so that when you start the program you have something in mind.. that may also change through the course of the program but atleast you can answer some questions for yourself and stay motivated. I am going to start the same course in January, I attended a symposium at the school organized by the department, and there were several industry reps in attendance. I left the Symposium feeling confident that I didn't make a mistake enrolling for the course. They seem to have good industry connections within K-W-C area. Most of their prev students all had jobs (although they were all from the 3 yr Diploma Program).Project Mgt courses can be taken on the side to add to your skills as the need arises. The students in the diploma course had very good opportunities for their projects and Co-Op, so that encouraged me too. anyhoo.. if you decided to apply..Keep in touch.:-)

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 9:21pm On Nov 17, 2018
Kwado87:
That's what it feels like now in Edmonton. ....

Some things I've learned so far (Edmonton, Alberta)...

1. Research, Research and research before you leave for Canada, trust me every "little" info you can gather will help.

2. Charities function well... Ask questions and don't be shy to ask again.... I called a that charity almost completely furnished the 2 bed I rented from bed, to sofa to dining table & chairs to plates, iron, toaster etc saved me more than 2k. Major things I bought was just TV ($100) & microwave ($15).

3. Contact a settlement group like Bredin, EMCN, they're really useful and give you loads of info. Also there lots of benefits you could benefit from before you start working like cheaper bus pass etc.

4. Look @ some bridging programs being sponsored by the govt, like I know of 1 with CCIS in Calgary for power engineering and another with EMCN for project management, they are mainly for un/under employed imigrants. They might also have other courses that might relate to your previous/ desired field of work. The government will pay you for upkeep while the training is on-going as the trainings are like full time work.

6. Start preparing for your class 7 knowledge test, even if you don't plan to drive immediately as this will serve as an easy means of identification instead of carrying intl passport or even PR card around.

7. In my opinion, if you're already driving in naija, uber is a good side biz. So instead of me doing survival jobs while waiting to get licensed or to get a job in my desired field, I could just do uber (if possible). You'll need a Class 4 drivers license and a car not more than 10yrs old from production date.

8. I believe employers value soft skills more than tech skills ( almost any grad with work exp will possess the later, but few have the former)

9. IELTS (RLS) will come in handy..... lol. You'll experience it daily,

10. it can be sunny outside but the temp is -18. That was my experience this morning, didn't go out with gloves, thought I'll loose my fingers. The cold is biting and REALLY COLD..

11. Have a clear cut career plan both 2months and 3 yrs plan BUT KEEP AN OPEN MIND...

My 2 cents...........

No 6!!! Very important. Something else is, it helps with insurance for whenever you eventually want to start driving.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Expectantbee: 9:26pm On Nov 17, 2018
salford1:

No. I once had flu back in the UK. I initially thought it was common cold(similar symptoms). It got to a point that I felt like a thousand needles were pushed into my nose and throat. I quickly left work when I could not bear the pain and accompanying fever. I thought i was going to die. I threw up all self- medications I ingested. My friends immediately checked me into an hospital where I spent the next 3 days being attended to by nurses and doctors. I was administered a special medication which was not sold at pharmacies for those 3 days. Moving on, I don't joke with flu shot for myself and family. Flu kills people here especially older and younger ones. Not saying anyone is going to catch the flu, but it's free to get a flu shot...Better to be safe.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/flu-has-caused-82-deaths-in-canada-but-it-s-not-too-late-to-get-the-shot-doctors-1.3766999

Speaking of flu, it hit me the moment I landed and weighed me down for 5 days. I initially thought it was malaria but I met a Nigerian doctor at church that told me otherwise. Needles to say, NYQuil and DayQuil to the rescue... I will share my full landing experience soon. I’m still not very settled yet.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 9:28pm On Nov 17, 2018
Bawss1:

True. Winter Jackets used in Aberdeen will work here in Kitchener. Make I no call other cities as e be like sey the winter this side na "per head"..

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 9:37pm On Nov 17, 2018
Guitarlife:

Wait is this not the normal catarrh wey we dey get here for naija.
it can get worse. You can be down a whole week.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2018
salford1:

Ok, I didn't want to go into detail.. but this is exactly the same symptom I had, didn't go into hospital but I was out of work for a week.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Estac: 10:48pm On Nov 17, 2018
Luce:

Is it possible to get a price range please. First time buyer, so I need a reference range to price from. Thanks.
I bought adult jackets between 2.5k -3.5k and kids jackets between 1.5-2k. Alot depends on your bargaining power and the grade and quality of the jacket.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Estac: 10:54pm On Nov 17, 2018
I will upload the bottoms when I have a minute. I couldn't get any thermal tops tho. Seems thermal tops are scarce at Yaba.
jelmusboy:
Could you please upload the picture of the thermal wear you got? Couldn't get it where I went to

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 12:00am On Nov 18, 2018
Expectantbee:

I’ve checked fb marketplace but those communities that may be more beneficial to me like ‘Mississauga buy and sell’ et al are closed groups. I’ve requested to join though. I hope they approve me soon.

Facebook marketplace is quite different from what you are talking about. Facebook marketplace isnt a group, you dont need to apply to join. Its just like kijiji, you can find peoplein your area post on stuff they want to sell or rent. Check your Facebook app, you should have a marketplace icon in your settings.

I think it is region dependent and only open to a few countries, so you may need to update your location and also grant location permission to facebook app. i didnt have facebook market place on my profile until a few days after i landed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bawss1(m): 12:42am On Nov 18, 2018
eclectic139:

True. Winter Jackets used in Aberdeen will work here in Kitchener. Make I no call other cities as e be like sey the winter this side na "per head"..

Yeah,

BTW you guys know winter hasn't officially started right? Technically we are still in fall, winter will start somewhere around December 20th and it will get way colder than it is now in K-W. The really frigid months are January and February and this season I hope it'll be just as severe as the last one smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bawss1(m): 12:47am On Nov 18, 2018
Estac:

I bought adult jackets between 2.5k -3.5k and kids jackets between 1.5-2k. Alot depends on your bargaining power and the grade and quality of the jacket.

Jackets for N2500? That's like CAD$10. Massive savings for you there.

Makes me wonder where the sellers realize their profit especially after you factor in shipping.

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.