Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,612 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (473) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1985066 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godsfavouredone: 11:00pm On Dec 17, 2018
[quote author=Ethelia post=73938565]
Before I get into my epistle, let me just say that 'people who don't come back to give landing gist' don't do it intentionally.

Thanks for your landing jist and congratulations on the birth of your baby. May your new home favour you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifeoma77(f): 11:01pm On Dec 17, 2018
Awww congratulations Mama Ethelia! Kisses to our Canadian baby kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lebest: 11:11pm On Dec 17, 2018
Just a matter of time....
Canada is my target., hopefully a help will come.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lovell234(m): 11:13pm On Dec 17, 2018
Congratulations Ethelia

[quote author=Ethelia post=73938565]
Before I get into my epistle, let me just say that 'people who don't come back to give landing gist' don't do it intentionally. There are many many reasons why. Anyway, to the gist:

Landing

Not much to say here because I didn't depart from Nigeria. I flew KLM straight to Edmonton. The flight to Amsterdam was horrific angry ; terrible aircraft, uncomfortable seats, ancient in-flight entertainment, infact I almost regretted using them. Now to be fair, I was very pregnant during the flight so maybe that contributed to my discomfort tongue. We had a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam which was spent roaming around the nice airport and resting in one of the lounges.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by digitalgirl234: 11:14pm On Dec 17, 2018
Hey people..

Know anyone in need of a basement suite (partly furnished) is Saskatoon. Do hola. Quite affordable 1K without utilities.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:18pm On Dec 17, 2018
lebest:
Just a matter of time....
Canada is my target., hopefully a help will come.

Amen

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Crescentd(m): 12:00am On Dec 18, 2018
einsteino:

Thanks alot. Good thing is I came mentally prepared for the challenges, time is all it would take. I am not in any way ruffled, the survival job pays enough to sort out my bills and keep some decent savings for goals, only thing is that it takes a part of me with it.

Yeah she basically wanted canadian education/credentials or canadian experience to substitute. The unpaid co-op is pretty much a volunteer kind of thing, I start out this week and in a couple of months I'd have some Canadian experience, references and network in my field. Hopefully, that helps. All the same, I am bent on starting a masters or diploma soon, it has always been one of my todo. My objective is to ensure that in the end I cross all their T's and dot their i's. its their game, I wouldnt nag about the rules, my preoccupation is doing all I can to win.

cheesy Nice to learn you are a Super Lioness, who knows we may have met. may our roar never turn to meow.

Hi @einsteino. Can you please provide more information on the bolded? Like the name of the programme and requirements. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dan90s: 12:09am On Dec 18, 2018
Hello family, hope y’all good. I’ll be in Kamloops, BC on Christmas day and I’m still in search of where to stay till I get my own place, wondering if anybody can be of assistance. I’m currently in Ottawa staying with a family member...I’d really appreciate the assistance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 12:56am On Dec 18, 2018
thanks @GS2 I was not disappointed. May God bless your beautiful soul. @ethelia, thanks for your gist. kisses to our canny baby.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sistaj: 3:21am On Dec 18, 2018
Congrats @ethelia on your bundle of joy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:39am On Dec 18, 2018
@DawnM024, submit the required documents and any other supporting documents, dot your I's and cross your T's and her application will be approved. You can read this--- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

@DaisyEze, I'm really sorry. I've been so busy. I've replied though.

@Ethelia, congratulations dear. kiss kiss

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaisyEze: 4:31am On Dec 18, 2018
GlitteringStar2:
@DawnM024, submit the required documents and any other supporting documents, dot your I's and cross your T's and her application will be approved. You can read this--- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

@DaisyEze, I'm really sorry. I've been so busy. I've replied though.

@Ethelia, congratulations dear. kiss kiss

Thank you! I just replied! cheesy Thanks so much for the help.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nnysmuse: 5:10am On Dec 18, 2018
Please I really need this info too
Thank you
Cc @glitteringstar2
DawnM024:
Hello,

**Silent follower awaiting PPR

Please i need a bit of information. How do i get a TRV for my retired mum to enable her land with me or shortly after to ease settling down post PPR?
I am more worried about proof of ties to home country, lack of travel history and the fact that i am funding the trip- hoping that shouldnt be a problem.

Please if there is anyone who has had a parent over in short while after landing or alongside, i would really need your guidance.

@glitteringstar2....you referred to your mum in your landing gist, sorry to probe, was she on TRV?

Thanks alot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 6:24am On Dec 18, 2018
salford1:

Caveat: Info given on this thread are not absolute.

Nobody knows it all, and we all learn everyday. People here give information based on their experience. If you have any info (contrary or in support), please do not be reluctant to share, so everyone can learn. We can give contrary opinion without getting into a feud. Blessings2017 you quoted gave a contrary opinion without getting into a feud. We all learnt lots from his reply. cool

If everyone kept information to themselves, or shut down and keep it moving, this thread would have been dead a longtime ago.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 6:43am On Dec 18, 2018
Thanks for your response. The 'sharing info' was what i was trying to do with my initial post to einsteno, however the response did seem like i was was trying to mislead people, which is why i decided not to bother the matter. The most important thing is; people now know that there are different options/means of acquiring Canadian Work Experience and no one has to be stuck in the survival job cycle for long, hence my aim is achieve. cheers

salford1:

Caveat: Info given on this thread are not absolute.

Nobody knows it all, and we all learn everyday. People here give information based on their experience. If you have any info (contrary or in support), please do not be reluctant to share, so everyone can learn. We can give contrary opinion without getting into a feud. Blessings2017 you quoted gave a contrary opinion without getting into a feud. We all learnt lots from his reply. cool

If everyone kept information to themselves, or shut down and keep it moving, this thread would have been dead a longtime ago.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 6:46am On Dec 18, 2018
Sure. I wouldn't hold back from commenting, if i think my contribution will be of help to anyone. Thanks for your response.

joo2018:
Sis pls, always contribute don't waka pass.

In the multitude of counselors there is safety. The more diverse the experience, the better we will be prepared. We can always disagree while having a discussion.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 6:48am On Dec 18, 2018
Thank you Sir for sharing your experience, i learnt a lot from it. stay blessed.

TheCongo2:

The law is the irrefutable statement of fact

It isn't everything that you see employers doing that is in alignment with the law.

As I have repeated it a number of time on this thread, to survive in the workforce in Canada people have to be their own lawyers.
People should familiarize themselves with the labor law and the Human Right code of their province of residence.
Each province has websites that provides details of the Human rights code and labor laws. The labour laws deal with pay, working hours , working conditions while the human rights code deal with discrimination issues.

You will be surprised how many employers in Canada whose internal policy is made of 1 or 2 lines that go against the law. Almost all employers in Canada would do something illegal. Given that most employees ignore the laws, nobody will ever find out the wrongdoing done by many employers. And often times even those employers don't know that their policy and procedures are illegal until they are face with a court case. Just as with immigration cases, dealing with the Human Right Tribunal or labor law is designed as DIY (Do it Yourself).
Unfortunately, when it comes to challenging the employers, most employees think they need a lawyer to file a complaint. (The same way many Nigerians think they need a agent for visa application). As a result of this, many illegal policies and practices set by employers are never challenged and will never changed.

I was once terminated by a major banking institution because they expected me to do something to which I objected. Based on the company internal policy, there was nothing wrong with what I was asked to do. However, based on the Ontario Human Right code (that I am very well vexed with), I was within my rights to object to that particular task. And when the employer terminated me, I initiated a complaint with the Ontario Human Right commission. We had a mediation before the trial. Under the mediation, the member of the Human Right Commission made it clear to the employer that the termination was unlawful and they would most likely lose the case if we ever went for trial. The mediation was the best option to resolve it.

To settle the case, the employer initially offered me $5000 which was a far cry from what I requested.
The employer indicated that when I started working for them I signed a form stipulating that I could never sue them for more than $5000. Then the member of the commission showed them again in the law that under the Human Rights commission that signature was void given that the employer can't make an employee sign a form to limit how much an employee can seek as a remedy in case of human rights complain. This employer was a major banking institution with big paid lawyers who didn't seem to know much about the Human Right code. Anyway, I accepted 60% of the amount that I original requested which was way more than the $5000 they wanted to give me. I was further told that this was a good settlement given that if we had gone for trial it was unlikely I could get that amount even if I had won the case.

I could go on with another case but I am on my way to church. But, I would save it for another day.

I just want to say that it isn't because you see employers do thing that you would conclude that it is acceptable. I repeat, if it doesn't go along with the Human Right code or Labour law of your province, it is ILLEGAL. And most employers in Canada would do 1 or 2 things illegal until someone challenge them with a court case. This is what the Human Right code labelled as institutional racism.

That is why I always urge each person to be his own lawyer. To keep up with the update of the Human Right website and Labor Law website of their province.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 6:57am On Dec 18, 2018
You are welcome Bro. Good to know that you are facing the challenge head-on. May the land favour your efforts. Stay blessed

einsteino:

Thanks alot. Good thing is I came mentally prepared for the challenges, time is all it would take. I am not in any way ruffled, the survival job pays enough to sort out my bills and keep some decent savings for goals, only thing is that it takes a part of me with it.

Yeah she basically wanted canadian education/credentials or canadian experience to substitute. The unpaid co-op is pretty much a volunteer kind of thing, I start out this week and in a couple of months I'd have some Canadian experience, references and network in my field. Hopefully, that helps. All the same, I am bent on starting a masters or diploma soon, it has always been one of my todo. My objective is to ensure that in the end I cross all their T's and dot their i's. its their game, I wouldnt nag about the rules, my preoccupation is doing all I can to win.

cheesy Nice to learn you are a Super Lioness, who knows we may have met. may our roar never turn to meow.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 7:31am On Dec 18, 2018
@Ethelia congratulations Momma. Been waiting for the landing gist and baby's arrival.

Please give me steps on the Baby process from A to Z please.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiepena: 8:10am On Dec 18, 2018
Hi ppl,
Anyone ever had a pre-arrival online session under SOPA! I have mine today at 9am Alberta time and 4pm my time!!
Any idea what to expect??
The kinda questions to ask?
They asked I send my CV and Cover letter so they know how to help( am sure to help settle in). I don’t even know.
Will come and share here after the session

@skywalk12 am also a Clinical Dietitian
Maybe u should check out the SOPA and register for a session too. Might help answer questions as. baby psychologist smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:50am On Dec 18, 2018
rainazoe:

Please give me steps on the Baby process from A to Z please.
halos! What would you like to know? There’s not much of a process per se. your gp is your primary care giver and would provide prenatal care up until about the 28th or 32nd week (not sure again) when s/he would refer you to a obgyn. In some cases the gp provides care for the entire pregnancy. Delivery is taken at the hospital assigned to your zone based on your home address. Documentation for baby is done prior to discharge. You get the sin in the mail after a couple of weeks, you apply for the birth certificate at the nearest registry after about 4 weeks and keep up with weekly and fortnightly baby and mom appointments with the gp and book immunization appointments. (Insert thinking emoji- did I leave anything out?)

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Amakaota: 8:52am On Dec 18, 2018
Thank you so much for this. You write so well.
With regards to the immunization record, does it have to be that yellow government immunization card?
GlitteringStar2:
Post-Landing Experience (Part 2)

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:52am On Dec 18, 2018
Hi everyone, it’s been a minute. Just popping in to say hello. I see the thread is being kept alive. Congrats to all newly landed peeps and everyone else striving to stay ahead.
@ethelia congrats on the newborn kiss

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by supo19884: 8:56am On Dec 18, 2018
Please i need advice on Canadian PR ielts general module Speaking 7, writing 6, reading 7, listening 8... overall band 7
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:06am On Dec 18, 2018
@adiepena I see you’ve gotten good responses to your questions. I just wanna chip in a lil bit.
It’s never easy to relocate with kids and I can’t even say that there is a perfect age to do so with less stress. Your decision would be largely based on assessing your personal emotional, physical and mental capabilities as well as your preferences. One thing to note is that since your kids would not be with you, you would not be eligible for child benefit or gst/hst credits. For quite a number of new immigrants with kids these come in handy in the initial period of settlement. In addition, being in a licensed profession often requires being willing to take on survival jobs or chart an alternative career path.
Full day school hours for us are 8:30-3:30. Kids would usually have half day Fridays ending at 12:30 or just go to school on alternate Fridays. There are also teacher professional development days aka PD days and other days when school is out but parents still need to work. Kids will only be allowed to stay home at age 12 after taking a mandatory course. So, in a nutshell what I’m trying to say is to emphasize what @salford1 said that daycare is always a factor to consider until your eldest turns 12. For now, you’ll most likely be looking at a circa $700-ish monthly child care bill for both kids with subsidy approval. That would cover before and after school for your first and full time Dayhome for your youngest. It’s really not a bad amount as child care costs go. Some government funded bridging/work experience programs actually cover your child care costs for the duration in which you are enrolled in the program.
It is a lot to handle 2 kids, and the decision ultimately lies with you. If you think you can cope, then it’ll be challenging but it is doable.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:15am On Dec 18, 2018
@einsteino, entertaining posts as usual. I happen to know a civil engineer as well. Croatian who schooled in Croatia but is also facing challenges with getting into eit jobs. So don’t look down too much on your degree,�.
Regulated professions always have these issues. It’s the demand and supply thingy, restrict the supply and for sure you can attract higher revenue. Lol. Having clear short, mid and long term goals, staying informed, taking advantage of opportunities to learn and network, patience, perseverance and a positive attitude is needed to forge ahead.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 10:01am On Dec 18, 2018
A canadian on Youtube by the name Johnny Nonuts had this to say about Canadian healthcare:

Its tiring listening to Americans brag about Canadian healthcare services. They dont have a clue.

last year I had an incident where I started feeling increasing pressure in my left ear.

Eventually I couldn't hear anything out of it and the pain became so intense I barely managed to drive myself to the Trillium Hospital in Etobicoke. When I got there the the line up to register was almost out the door. Every seat in the waiting area was taken and people were lined up against the walls and every other standing room space available. Kids were screaming anf crying, people were on gernies and in wheelchairs all over the place. The look on most peoples faces was dead pan and depressing. It reminded me of a scene out of an apocalypse movie.

There was no way in hell I would have survived waiting there as my ear felt like it was going to explode at this point.
I drove myself back home and had a family member drive me all the way to Milton where I anticipated a better waiting time. When I got there only 5 people were in the waiting room but it still took me 5 hours to see a doctor. I thought I was going to go insane from the pain. Toward the 4 hour mark something in my ear had popped and the pain started to diminish.

The chairs in the room where the doctor saw me had duct tape holding what ever material was still on the arm rests and on the seats. Compared to the newest of hospitals, like in Oakville, this place was a dive and a step back into the early 70s. It needs a renovation badly.

Doctor couldn't tell me what the issue was. Saw me for 5 minutes and I went home.

I was fuming. For all the talk of our health care system being so great this experience was shit.

I had similar experiences in the past with brutal wait times and doctors that are overwhelmed.

An operation to my arm was my only positive experience but the MRI scan required before that took forever.

If you don't have an insurance plan through work you will be paying out the nose for dental and drugs and other services. Walk in clinic doctors are 50/50 in terms of help. Most have you out the door before you even have a chance to sit down and explain what's wrong. Good luck finding a Family Doctor.

When I see Trudeau brag about our healthcare system I want to puke. The guy has no understanding of what hard working average Canadians have to deal with. A spoiled man child.

Our system needs help big time. The amount of taxes we pay does not justify the level of service we experience on average.

Remember when patience had to wait in the hospital Tim Hortons in wheelchairs and gernies a few years ago because there was no place else to put them? yeah.....thats our healthcare system.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiepena: 11:13am On Dec 18, 2018
vcole:
@adiepena I see you’ve gotten good responses to your questions. I just wanna chip in a lil bit.
It’s never easy to relocate with kids and I can’t even say that there is a perfect age to do so with less stress. Your decision would be largely based on assessing your personal emotional, physical and mental capabilities as well as your preferences. One thing to note is that since your kids would not be with you, you would not be eligible for child benefit or gst/hst credits. For quite a number of new immigrants with kids these come in handy in the initial period of settlement. In addition, being in a licensed profession often requires being willing to take on survival jobs or chart an alternative career path.
Full day school hours for us are 8:30-3:30. Kids would usually have half day Fridays ending at 12:30 or just go to school on alternate Fridays. There are also teacher professional development days aka PD days and other days when school is out but parents still need to work. Kids will only be allowed to stay home at age 12 after taking a mandatory course. So, in a nutshell what I’m trying to say is to emphasize what @salford1 said that daycare is always a factor to consider until your eldest turns 12. For now, you’ll most likely be looking at a circa $700-ish monthly child care bill for both kids with subsidy approval. That would cover before and after school for your first and full time Dayhome for your youngest. It’s really not a bad amount as child care costs go. Some government funded bridging/work experience programs actually cover your child care costs for the duration in which you are enrolled in the program.
It is a lot to handle 2 kids, and the decision ultimately lies with you. If you think you can cope, then it’ll be challenging but it is doable.

Many thanks @vcole.
I appreciate all the suggestions.
Bless you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 11:18am On Dec 18, 2018
jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST, PART II

The job hunt starts... Bye guys and thanks for reading my boring gist

Special thanks @TheCongo2. God bless you. I sent you a mail last week. Still expecting your response
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 11:19am On Dec 18, 2018
wholesomegrace:

Special thanks @TheCongo2. God bless you. I sent you a mail last week. Still expecting your response
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 11:39am On Dec 18, 2018
Estac:
My stale landing gist. Plz pardon any typos cos I typed this out on my phone.

I arrived Lagos on Monday afternoon, instead of Sunday which was my original itinery. But thank God I arrived safely. I landed Lagos and somewhat regretted our decision to stagger our landing. After living the easy life for just one week, I no wan do Lagos again. I sat thru last night's episode of Lagos traffic for over 3 hours telling myself "you could have been in Edmonton now but just Lukatiu". Anyway, now I can't wait to go back grin home.

The bolded ehnnnnnn grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 11:42am On Dec 18, 2018
Estac:
Oga Salford, you are right on both counts. wink grin

They have exposed fowl yansh grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.