Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,488 members, 7,812,516 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981760 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 11:14pm On Sep 29, 2017
yokus:
Watching this Nigerian illegal border jumpers made me so Sad sha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArjX-gzi5o

Buries head in palms... cry cry cry Reminds me of how people claim if the slave ships came back there will be a mad stampede to enter them. God help our native countries to prevent these occurrences...My heart breaks for the little kids who have to go through this trauma....

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 11:24pm On Sep 29, 2017
Yooku:

Please don't forget to add Canadianfly to the group as well grin grin grin
grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by fabdee: 12:57am On Sep 30, 2017
I mailed you last night. Would resend now.

oddysey:

Hi fabdee,

Just a reminder pls. I'm yet to see your mail. Mine is bukolajayi@yahoo.com once again. Cheers.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by careerwoman(f): 1:32am On Sep 30, 2017
yokus:

This is very disheartening.. There is never a time Nigerians would not spoil someone's image.. I sincerely hope they are not all Nigerians though.. But why is the last woman blatantly lying?? She claimed she's Nigerian and that in Africa, children aren't allowed to go to school.. shocked Desperation at its peak! undecided I wish I never saw this video because it dampened my spirit.. The only victims I see here are the children that have been dragged into this mess.. embarassed My heart goes to them.. P.S. I do hope the adults respect themselves and not become a nuisance in Canada..

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by careerwoman(f): 1:37am On Sep 30, 2017
yokus:

This is very disheartening.. There is never a time Nigerians would not spoil someone's image.. I sincerely hope they are not all Nigerians though.. But why is the last woman blatantly lying?? She claimed she's Nigerian and that in Africa, children aren't allowed to go to school.. shocked Where in Nigeria are children forced into marriages without their parents consenting to it at least? Desperation at its peak! undecided I wish I never saw this video because it just dampened my spirit.. The only victims I see here are the children that have been dragged into this mess.. embarassed My heart goes to them.. P.S. I do hope the adults respect themselves and not become a nuisance in Canada..

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 1:40am On Sep 30, 2017
yokus:

Waoh, i am speechless.... I really feel for Aisha and her 4 kids!!!!

What a life!

And there are some Nigerians, when i hint them about my relocation plans....they are like, "why am i leaving?"

And i am wondering, am i the only one feeling the struggle in this country!!!

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 2:21am On Sep 30, 2017
Thanks to everyone that has responded.

My conclusion is that it takes roughly 3weeks and there's an option to contact them if need be.

Thanks again for your responses.

laborel:
accra@international.gc.can

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Khalesi: 2:38am On Sep 30, 2017
pauloverdi:
Please I have a question for my landed seniors here. How do I go about registering my kids for child care benefits? As an FSW PR are my kids eligible? Please advise. With the high costs of living here and all the taxes I will be paying I don't want to lose any benefits of these taxes oo
You can apply for Child tax benefit right away even though you haven't filed your tax yet. The application for CTB will require you to state you annual income for the 2yr period before you became a landed immigrant so as to have a basis to calculate your benefit.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 2:38am On Sep 30, 2017
Yooku:

Hahahaha na to ignore it straight up grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Khalesi: 3:45am On Sep 30, 2017
shaddie:
Hello Nairaland family.I am a silent reader even though i have asked few questions here and got awesome responses. God bless you all for all the wonderful contributions here.
To the seniors in the house and anyone who can help respond. we were told by a family friend that if the primary applicant eventually revoke his PR (my hubby) while we remain in Canada, we will eventually loose out from applying for citizenship in the future or even have issues because we are his dependent and he was the one that signed all there is to sign on our behalf . The plan was for us to all go and hubby returns back to Naija as he is not ready to move now. How true is this family friends information?. Also i know there are couple of families that go that route of hubby not staying but visiting , how does this work for them? what procedure did they follow. I will appreciate all your opinion please.

Thank you.

He can give up his permanent residency status voluntarily without affecting his dependents in any way. However, if he wishes not to give it up entirely, he can still try to meet the requirements needed to sustain his status by having a cumulative stay of at least 2yrs in 5yrs.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abby2017: 7:15am On Sep 30, 2017
She should be added and made group admin sef grin grin grin

Yooku:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2017
Indeed. @Impish, you are right. We must make sure the Children know that they must be hard working - it is a by-force something lol. I really feel for Aisha and her 4kids honestly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adeza: 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2017
adeza:
Good day all, I have been a silent follower of this thread. I'm here to share my arrival journey in Canada on 23rd September 2017.
Journey started Friday 22nd, used Egypt air was very skeptical about them but they surprised me with their service and flight to Cairo and Toronto was very smooth (I was given express check in at both airport cos I'm pregnant and had an active 3yrs old also). The flight to Toronto was extremely long and tiring but Egypt air hostesses made sure I was comfy, assisted me with extra pillows, blanket, hot tea, snacks and even told me to relax on 2seats that were vacant.
Immediately we got to Toronto, hubby and I started running towards immigration cos we had a connecting flight to Calgary in 3hrs. Immigration process was smooth and fast cos we were one of the ist to reach there, proceeded to customs, experienced thrashing of goods, some even searched documents. I started praying seriously our bags shouldn't be searched (3check in bags and 3hand luggage) cos it will waste time. the custom's guy noticed I was pregnant cos my hubby told him so I can have a seat and my son was over the place. We listed all the goods and value that we are importing before we got to the airport so he just stamped and gave us clearance form. None of our bags were opened, it can only be God
We basically ran from terminal 1 to 3 for the next flight which was long journey, got there just about check in was closing ( missing flight would have cost us extra 300CAD, Choi). Arrived safely at Calgary and a friend came to pick us. Starting search for a house today and other plenty stuffs.
Thank God for a smooth arrival and wish those yet to come a safe and smooth arrival also

An update:Settling in has been ok, gotten my SIN, awaiting healthcare number, customs gave us tough time in clearing our goods(3days) saying it was much over 400kg (LOL, I brought the whole naija) had to pay demurage . They scattered our bags like rats but luckily nothing was thrown away(my knorr cubes, powder milk escaped).Gotten an apartment with bills inclusive, definitely move in next week, register in a clinic, shop for winter clothes, stock up on meat, tomatoes and pepper. Things here are expensive

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 12:58pm On Sep 30, 2017
Abby2017:
She should be added and made group admin sef grin grin grin

Gbaam!!!

@Canadianfly

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ifyolu4u: 2:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
I got you but please one more question coming with visitors visa and changing the status Is it good as well?
Yooku:

Please did you visit the above link? EVERYTHING you need to know is there so really not sure how much further you can be helped. If the reading is a challenge for you please visit Youtube and search for Canada Express Entry for videos on how to go about the process which are in abundance there. Cheers.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 5:41pm On Sep 30, 2017
adeza:

An update:Settling in has been ok, gotten my SIN, awaiting healthcare number, customs gave us tough time in clearing our goods(3days) saying it was much over 400kg (LOL, I brought the whole naija) had to pay demurage . They scattered our bags like rats but luckily nothing was thrown away(my knorr cubes, powder milk escaped).Gotten an apartment with bills inclusive, definitely move in next week, register in a clinic, shop for winter clothes, stock up on meat, tomatoes and pepper. Things here are expensive

Thanks for the update adeza.

I am trying to decide between Egyptair and Ethiopian airways....
Kindly confirm if you had dried fish in your checked in luggage and if you bags were searched at Cairo....I de humbled @ Ballerz experience with his 60k fish.

Anyone with reviews on Ethiopian airways as compared to Egyptair should kindly share...
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 7:20pm On Sep 30, 2017
Blackbuddy hello,

i have been trying to inbox you but dont remember how to i guess this place don reset my brain.

my host says my bills have to come on my address before i can register for healthcare. is it true?

then how did you get yourself registered for the bridging program? i need to get into the one for banking and financial services.

please can you inbox me, i have some other personal things to ask you urgently before i take a decision on them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:06pm On Sep 30, 2017
Yooku:

Rotfl grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 8:58pm On Sep 30, 2017
I'm having the same difficulty in choosing between these two please. Will also appreciate anyone on their reviews.

Many thanks.
ugoiyke79e:

Thanks for the update adeza.

I am trying to decide between Egyptair and Ethiopian airways....
Kindly confirm if you had dried fish in your checked in luggage and if you bags were searched at Cairo....I de humbled @ Ballerz experience with his 60k fish.

Anyone with reviews on Ethiopian airways as compared to Egyptair should kindly share...
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 9:29pm On Sep 30, 2017
laborel:
I'm having the same difficulty in choosing between these two please. Will also appreciate anyone on their reviews.

Many thanks.

Both are good airlines. Flown both before and I will put both on same rating. So you can consider layover time, if you don't like to stay long before connecting.
Cairo Airport is finer and cleaner.
Although Adis Ababa duty free is cheaper. grin If you are a perfume lover like myself. What you will get 100 USD there will be like 140 USD at other airports.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 10:52pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ballerz:

Dry Ponmo,,,,, Nice. Make i go add am to my list.
I am moving with 5 bags. I plan to use GMG due to low weight. Discarding all my boxes.

So did u travel with GMG? I'm also try to go same route if I don't get big bags

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 12:28am On Oct 01, 2017
Thanks Mrs O for the write up.

Watching the video got to me. Dilemma of having kids who are US citizens but parents are illegal in the US. Some of the parents are desperate and make claims that are unfounded but the reality is that the kids are the victims here. Truth is that there are homeless folks everywhere but that should not affect why one wants to relocate neither should the fact that most of those guys in the video claim to be Nigerians, make one loose hope. We all have a plan, a reason why we want what we want and that's what we must stick to.

Better life, better welfare, system that works, great environment for raising kids etc are some of the reasons most people choose to move. Majority of the people here are diligent and aren't leaving because they are homeless, clueless or jobless. on the contrary, there are loads of professionals who have been putting their best at work to get to where they are now and who are determined to make the best use of what they have with the same energy, skill and diligence albeit in Canada.

As we move in faith, my prayer is that our expectations shall not be cut off.

impish:
I was so sad and disturbed watching this. Wow!

Honestly, today was a revelation for me. I was going to do a blog post about it later, so seeing this is a sign that I really must write about it. The gist of it is that today on the bus, we met 2 homeless women. They were talking openly about the fact that they were homeless and living in shelters. They both had 1 child each in foster care as well. I was shocked and disturbed by this conversation, I couldn't wait to get off the bus.

Why was I shocked? Did I not know too well that there were poor people in this world? I did, but I was shocked that they were able to speak freely on a packed bus about their plight. I later realised that I was also jolted by the fact that there were homeless people in this Canada, the "land flowing with milk and honey", the "chance for a better life" Canada! I am not naive, I lived in England for a year during my MSc. I knew that even developed nations had homeless people. Perhaps it was God reminding me of this fact, because till today, I hadn't seen any homeless person in Canada. Maybe I just wasn't looking closely enough.

Then I did some soul searching. We didn't come to Canada because we were broke. No, all the money in our POF was ours. Not a dime was borrowed! We had worked hard in Lagos and were comfortable. However, we came here seeking better opportunities for our kids, a more stable environment for them to grow up in. A system that worked. A country where good healthcare was not a luxury but a right of all citizens. We worked hard in Nigeria and we had proven to ourselves in Lagos that hard work and determination pay off in the long run. Thank God, because I would be feeling deflated and shattered right now if we had fled from poverty in Nigeria to Canada.

Instead, I left the bus more determined. It was a reminder for me that all those "opportunities" we were seeking for our kids were and had been available to everyone. However, what would set our kids apart in the end would be our home training, our instilling in them the mental toughness they require for life. Our constant prayers for them. We have to lead by example. We have to work hard, so that they grow up knowing that they have to give 100% in everything that they do.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I am sad for these ones. I am sad that they were desperate enough to flee to Canada illegally. However, I wonder sometimes.....I know there are some who in spite of their hard work, they just could not make it in Nigeria. I know we are a developing nation and we have so many challenges that I can't even be bothered to list, but there are also some among these ones who just want the child benefits that the Canadian system has to offer. Who do not want to work, but want the system to work for them. However, unfortunately, it is just a vicious cycle and the rot continues.

May God help us all! Off to write my blog post!

Mrs. O
www.mycanadianfling.com

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.