Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,898 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup (89658 Views)

Nigerian Vegetable Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Healthy Vegetable Stew / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Yummy Fried Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by VastFinder: 3:51pm On Feb 08, 2017
Welcome to Vast Kitchen
Edikaikong Soup.

To all 'EFO' famz, how excited you gonna be reading through this Recipe. 'EFO' popularly called by the Yoruba's is a great soup when preparing with appropriate ingredients Required as we would be analysing on it in this Recipe.

There are countless cultures in Nigeria, just so is the diversity of the vegetable soups of different kind. Nigerian Vegetable soup differs from tribe to tribe and the only head way is that some vegetables are more popular than others.

Eforiro, Afang, Edikaikong, etc are some of the popular ones around. These vegetables are the constants in their native kitchens.

As much as we like trying our hands on something different, it wouldn’t be an anomaly for the Yoruba kitchen for example to try out Edikaikong soup, which is themed as a vegetable soup from the east. Follow the instructions below to try the Edikaikong soup at home

How to make Nigerian vegetable soup:
Tools needed

*. Kitchen knife
*. Chopping board
*. 2 bowls (medium/large)
*. Cooking pot
*. Sieve

How to Prepare the Nigerian vegetable soup: Ingredients
*. Fresh clean water
*. 1 cup of palm oil
*. 6 cups of ugwu leaf
*. Chicken/Beef/fish
*. 2 spoons of ofor
*. 12 cups of waterleaf
*. 2-3 onion bulbs
*. 500g dried fish
*. 1 cup of grounded crayfish
*. Salt (to taste)
*. Pepper (to taste)
*. 1 cup of periwinkle
*. Stock fish head (medium size)

How to make Nigerian vegetable soup: Instructions
1. Cut and wash the meat to prepare it for cooking.

2. Parboil the meat, slicing in 2 onion bulbs, seasoning cubes (to taste) and any other spice. Cook till meat is almost soft for consumption.

3. Boil water and wash the stock fish, removing the sand and other particles, then add to the meat on fire.

4. Rinse the vegetables in cold water and slice it into separate bowls (the water leaf aside and the ugwu aside).

5. Pour hot water into the bowls to soak the leaves for at least 3 minutes, then sieve out the leaves and throw away the water.

6. Repeat the process until you are sure there is no more sand.

7. Add 1 cup of palm oil to the boiling meat on fire, add salt and pepper to taste.

8. Cook for 6-10 minutes, until there is very little traits of water.

9. Add grinded crayfish, periwinkles, a spoon of grinded ofor (sprinkled) and stir.

10. Leave to cook for 4-5 minutes.

11. Add the water leaf, stir very well and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the ugwuleaf and stir.

12. Leave to simmer for 3 minutes.

13. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool off.

Your Edikaikong soup is ready to be served with your favourite solid meal, be it Eba, Wheat, Semo, Pounded yam or Fufu.

Notes
*. Overcooking your vegetables doesn’t only make it overly soft; it also makes it lose its nutritional value. So be careful with the timing.
*. This procedure is for the Edikaikong soup in particular and the procedure cannot be substituted for another vegetable soup.

Soup: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/recipe-how-to-prepare-nigerian.html

Vast Kitchen

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by AshawoGirl(f): 4:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
After giving a Nigeria man this thing. If you don't give him fork he will still live u.
Op thank u sha

17 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by ChiefSweetus: 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
tenk. smiley
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
Delicious. This delicacy can purge if eaten excessively.

Some of the officers cant even place his face on his songs.

Do u need a shop at Asaba Ultramodern Mechanic Village and Spare parts Market?
check my Signature

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by uncleabbey(m): 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
Chai. OP well done o. Dey wet our appetite for this recession. Just There is God in everything we are doing

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
Stanleyelege:
Delicious. This delicacy can purge if eaten excessively.

Do u need a shop at Asaba Ultramodern Mechanic Village and Spare parts Market?
check my Signature
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by olaolulazio(m): 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
U tried but u need cow dickkk....

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by thankfulsoul: 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
Yummy
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Lasskeey: 4:26pm On Feb 08, 2017
grin

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by itsik(m): 4:26pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hmmmm. Nice one
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by olaezebala: 4:26pm On Feb 08, 2017
Today is a glorious day where anything goes through to front page. MOD just be like Arsenal defense and these topics be like Hazard. Just dey go thru anyhow.

Watch out for my post on how to eat Nigeria vegetable soup

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by NameChecker: 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hunger Activated!

Meanwhile, Nairaland babes need to take this thread seriously
As the majority of them don't know how to cook
Introvert
Lady F
Librangyps
creamylicious
loveliss2
Ridens
miblolo

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by librangyps(f): 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2017
What is ofor?

5 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by sKeetz(m): 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2017
olaolulazio:
U tried but u need cow dickkk....

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by asumo12: 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2017
VEGETABLE GET CUPS?\\\\ shocked shocked shocked

7 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2017
Will be better using weed as vegetable.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by obembet(f): 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2017
The only soup wey my grandma can do beta pass another in Nigga

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by ogedokis: 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
G
wat are u saying
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Livefreeordieha(m): 4:29pm On Feb 08, 2017
librangyps:
What is ofor?
ofor is staff of office of dibia or priest in a local shrine...efo is vegetable soup to help balance your health...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 08, 2017
Na wa oh. So u will give ur man fork to eat this efo.. shocked cheesy grin abi no be fork when dem de use eat u mean? sad
AshawoGirl:
After giving a Nigeria man this thing. If you don't give him fork he will still live u.
Op thank u sha
AshawoGirl:
Op thank u sha
AshawoGirl:
Op thank u sha
AshawoGirl:
Op thank u sha

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by jamesbridget13(f): 4:30pm On Feb 08, 2017
Nice but this is d first time I see they use ofor for veg soup

3 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by jamesbridget13(f): 4:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
Nice but this is d first time I see they use of or for veg soup
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
You guys should just stop all these nonsense now.

How can an average Nigerian afford this GOD BLESS ME MEAL.
see if i have to go and steal any pot that looks like your own OP, you will be held responsible..

Nonsense

Anyways...

Drabeey was HERE
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by SIRmanjar(m): 4:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
Choi!I fit bet wit anybody say de goat meat Vegtable soup wey dey dat pics go sweet die,Infact I dey run go chop vegetable soup 4 any nearby resturant.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by DirtyGold: 4:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
ismokeweed:
Will be better using weed as vegetable.
[img]http:///media/12-24-2016/E1c7QP.gif[/img]
Wehdonsir!

What's tha business?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 08, 2017
NameChecker:
Hunger Activated!

Meanwhile, Nairaland babes need to take this thread seriously
As the majority of them don't know how to cook
Introvert
Lady F
Librangyps
creamylicious
loveliss2
Ridens
miblolo

I daresay 95% of Nairaland ladies do know how to cook well....
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by dingbang(m): 4:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
librangyps:
What is ofor?
grin lol its a thickener, used to thicken soups such as vegetable soup or native soup... Its yellowish in color in the market... Anytime u want to cook vegetable soup, ofor is a very important ingredient..

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by NameChecker: 4:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
9jakohai:

I daresay 95% of Nairaland ladies do know how to cook well....

Proof it
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by dingbang(m): 4:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
jamesbridget13:
Nice but this is d first time I see they use of or for veg soup
cmon.. Don't come and embarrass your fellow women folk ...

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Talk2Bella(f): 4:37pm On Feb 08, 2017
didn't know ofor could be used for veg
abi na afang

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by alizma: 4:37pm On Feb 08, 2017
the more men gets to adjust to doing this things, the more single mothers we will have on the streets.
girls see where una shakara De carry una go. worst of it is some of them wey never sabi do watin woman supposed De do for house go De claim gender equality, feminist etc. make una continue sha.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 08, 2017
NameChecker:

Proof it

Considering the fact that most Nigerian ladies want to be married....I think that if they cannot cook...their husband's family might demand the brideprice back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The ₦320,000 Cow We Bought In Keffi / What I Ate In A Rich Man’s House VS What I Eat In My House / This Is The Milk I Bought For #89,500 For My Children.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.