Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,093 members, 7,811,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) (18259 Views)

My Window 7 Pc Keeps Draining My Data. Pls Help. / Buylondonused.online Nairaland Page - CRAZY Laptop DEALS / Laptop Won't Charge Or Turn On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by richard870(m): 11:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
Had same problem. All you need do is go to services and disable windows update from there
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by makaveli902: 11:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
MutantMetahuman:
You cannot stop auto update on window 10..
Window 10 will force you to download update.. It's crazy and a lot of people have been complaining about it.

Any how,
Lemme teach you this simple trick that will save you your data.

Go to the WiFi settings on your system, chose the current modem you are using, set it as metered network. No more unnecessary background update

That is the way to go! I use windows 10 myself. Set your current network connection to a metered network, it will slow down the updates by 90%.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by me69: 11:37pm On Feb 08, 2017
Your laptop is set up to automatically download updates for windows and some drivers. These updates can wipe out your data. You can turn automatic update off from your windows settings. However every now and then you will have to download some important updates to keep your system up to date but that is not a must if you wish not
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by duwdu: 11:48pm On Feb 08, 2017
chuksp09:
Bros the best solution for ur problem is this:
Go to the search area, type window services.
A new window opens with all windows services, look for"background intelligence transfer service" right click on it and click stop.
Right click on it again and click properties, in the properties box, look for start mode, in d options select manual.
That should stop windows from completely transmitting unpermitted data.

Brilliant. Thanks for posting and going the whole hog.

P34c3
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Itulah(m): 11:49pm On Feb 08, 2017
Kenshinmunac:

Hp Pavilion dv6

Go to Network Settings > Advance > then set the one you're connected to as Metered connection and your problems are over. If you can not locate Meter Or Metre connection, search for it.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Malawian(m): 11:59pm On Feb 08, 2017
Kenshinmunac:

Bro have done that already still the same shit, it's like if I open one page it's 20mb
LWKMD. Anyways, go into godmode, all the jelenje dey dere for quick tweaking. Also, there might be spyware on the system. My advice is complete reinstall OS. So you know wetin you dey do.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by yedidiah(m): 11:59pm On Feb 08, 2017
Your laptop is on auto update. I have suffered that too. Turn off your auto update from settings.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Klexy007(m): 12:02am On Feb 09, 2017
open Task Manager, on The task manager Tab, go to services Tab, search for wuauserv, right click on it, click on open services, search for windows updates, right click on the windows updates, click on stop, afta dat, click on properties, u will see something like startup type, click on it, choose d disable option, then apply and OK. Do this and thank Me lata.... U can call me on 07033422984 if u dnt get d process, so that I can explain to you on call.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by joe120120(m): 12:02am On Feb 09, 2017
Kenshinmunac:
fellow gurus in the house, una good evening o.

I bought a new laptop today with Windows 10 pro OS.

I subbed 2gb on my mtn, connected hotspot to my lap and started surfing on the laptop immidiately.

About 30 mins later I just decided to check my data balance only to discover 720 mb left (i didn't download anything o, just normal surfing) I even disabled the auto updates and tried again with a modem, re subbed again this time 1 gb, not up to 20 mins the data is exhausted!!

The laptop is crazy, it drinks data like it's nothing, I no offend any body to deserve this o cry, please what can I do guys I have already disabled software updates but still the same issue!!! ! ..

cry

go to Google draft for destroy window 10 spy .use to destroy all Microsoft spys. to enable control ur window10 .kpom finish .tank me if u like.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by cooldude62(m): 12:27am On Feb 09, 2017
Buy enough data, leave your laptop to download everything once and for all. It will stop once its done. Itt needs all those updates to work normally. Good luck.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by davoo203: 12:44am On Feb 09, 2017
Ask mtn, you cant always blame the laptop.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by mengho(m): 12:53am On Feb 09, 2017
Waste of time, just download one of those apps that kills Windows data mining e.g Donotspy10, lunch it, then you can easily disable all automatic updates without any hassle & all in just a few seconds grin
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 09, 2017
Kenshinmunac:

I subbed 2gb on my mtn, connected hotspot to my lap and started surfing on the laptop immidiately.

About 30 mins later I just decided to check my data balance only to discover 720 mb left (i didn't download anything o, just normal surfing) I even disabled the auto updates and tried again with a modem, re subbed again this time 1 gb, not up to 20 mins the data is exhausted!!

The laptop is crazy, it drinks data like it's nothing, I no offend any body to deserve this o cry, please what can I do guys I have already disabled software updates but still the same issue!!! ! ..

cry
Windows 10!!! I had the same issue when I upgraded from windows 7 to 10. Windows 10 is the best OS so far though. As for the data issue, it is a long process. First, you have to disable auto-update. Then you'll have to disable update of background apps. Thereafter, you'll turn off the live-tiles one after the other as they also drain data.
Visit the link below for details.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

PS: It is not my blog. That's the site that helped me out.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Nascimento(m): 1:05am On Feb 09, 2017
Had similar challenge. Windows 10 is voracious when it comes to data consumption. Just meter ur connection and you'll be fine.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Lexusgs430: 1:09am On Feb 09, 2017
Kenshinmunac:

cry

In the search column, type services.msc + scroll through + look windows update and disable
Also disable all tiles from updating
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Zane2point4(m): 1:18am On Feb 09, 2017
Noneroone:
task manager> services(top right)> open services(below)> background inteligence transfer service ( "disable" it, then click "stop" and "ok"wink it could begin to run if you end a browsing session. So always watch it when you disconnect and want to reconnect. Thats how i manage when i want to use mine.

Thats it exactly, i hv been reading through the whole comments to see who will get the correct answer this is exactly what i have been waiting for,
Op ,what this guy mentioned up there is exactly what i did in my own case last year and it worked out just that whenever you reboot the laptop you will need to disable background intelligent transfer, it downloads and uses up ur mb through SVCHOST activities.

Forget about those telling you about other unnecessary things just follow what this guy wrote and do it i have been in your Shoes you will smile at last.
You may even short cut and pin what he described under the taskbar so that it will be easier to do it any time you reboot your system cos there is no permanent solution to this problem from miscrosoft, just u need to disable it any time you reboot your system, but doesnt include hibernation and sleep mode.
You may cancel automatic updates too, it helps alot but from my last year experience,
BIT, or background intelligent transfer is your problem, thank me later.

Note, also disable news feed, in the destop, just click and disable them one by one, windows 10 is an amazing OS.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Kaxmytex(m): 1:21am On Feb 09, 2017
Wow! so many solutions
1 setting connection to a metered one
2 disabling windows update via service.msc
3 buying enough data...lolz, in diz tym of change?
4 getting rid of windows and switching to other O/S - diz one is strong o, getting rid of a user friendly platform...i wont buy dat idea o

wetin remain wey i wan talk nah....
i must talk something o

alrite...you see all tiles application that comes with the window 10 o/s, dey are d one draining ur data...

to silent dem...

1. download fiddler, it comes in suites(i.e with other app)
2. launch appContainer
3. by default, u will see all d application u have on tiles being checked, dis are d apps draining ur data
4. all u have to do is uncheck all or check d ones u wish to leave
5. save

be the boss, control d app dat use ur data
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 09, 2017
get O&O shutup . its one of the privacy tools out there for win 10

run through the settings - disable telemetry etc. this may reduce some of the bandwidth hogging.

note that when you start a new system for the first time you will burn data on updates. YOU CANNOT AVOID THIS. and it is important that you do not. alot of the apps on your PC need to update, for security and stabilty.

you can also get one of those firewall apps [i use windows firewall control] which will work with the firewall to block anything you do not expressly permit

note. you said the laptop is an dv6. the hp pavilion dv6 is a 2011 laptop. it is an entertainment laptop. that means it would have shipped with windows 7 home edition. you say it is running win 10 pro.

the laptop is NOT new. windows 10 was installed on it by whoever sold it to you. are you absolutely certain that it is not an improperly cracked/spyware laden version of win 10 running running on your laptop? is it win 10 technical preview , which new builds every week or so?

normally, the moment i buy a laptop, i immediately format and install to my own personal tastes, getting rid of any bloatware shipped with the laptop. if you are tech savvy, get the serial number of the previous windows build from the sticker on the laptop, or with some of those bios tools, get a win 10 iso , format and install from scratch. microsoft is still giving out win 10 for free if you use accessibility settings [google it]
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Coded484: 2:00am On Feb 09, 2017
Candycrusher:
You bought a fulani laptop. It drinks data like fulanis drink blood
Later u will say that you have sense
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by afternysc(f): 2:52am On Feb 09, 2017
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by fuckpro: 3:50am On Feb 09, 2017
Kenshinmunac:

Bro have done that already still the same shit, it's like if I open one page it's 20mb
... It's normal happens to my brand new hp elitenote book I only use it for things I can't use my phone for
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by jimngam(m): 5:28am On Feb 09, 2017
MutantMetahuman:
Window 10 will force you to download update.. It's crazy and a lot of people have been complaining about it.

Any hoo,

Go to the WiFi settings on your system, chose the current modem you are using, set it as metered network. No more unnecessary background update

This is the answer to your question......

If it is hotspot you are using, connect to the system to the hotspot, go to WiFi settings, select the name of hotspot and set as metered connection.. A google search would have helped....
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by jimngam(m): 5:38am On Feb 09, 2017
Set Wi-Fi to Metered

1. Connected

Make sure you are connected to the Wi-Fi network that you wish to set as metered

2. Go to All Settings

3. Go to Network & Internet

4. Go to Advanced options

You may have to scroll down if you have a lot of networks. Assuming you are connected to the network you want to set as metered, hit Advanced options for the next step.

5. Turn on

Under Metered connection, you can toggle Set as metered connection to On.

That's it. Now that Wi-Fi connection is set to metered, and the OS will throttle data usage for just the barebones like user initiated web browsing or email checking. These limitations include:

a) Windows Update will only download priority updates.

b) Apps downloading from the Windows Store might be paused

c) Start screen tiles might stop updating

d)Offline files might not sync automatically

e)Setting to metered also prevents WUDO from being utilized.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Buchika: 5:49am On Feb 09, 2017
MutantMetahuman:

Any hoo,

@ op this is the solution to your problem, I got that problem before.
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Ahmeddogo4(m): 6:22am On Feb 09, 2017
My guy did u password your shocked hotspot shocked
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Kenshinmunac(m): 6:28am On Feb 09, 2017
GameGod:

Lol sorry ooo grin, all you need to do is to disable "Background intelligent service (BIT)" problem solved. Its not update.

How do I do it na?
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Kenshinmunac(m): 6:32am On Feb 09, 2017
DEBUCHMANNY:

am sure it's windows 10; go to settings, click on network and internet, select your device and turn on metered connection and you are safe.

Still the same thing, done all that
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Kenshinmunac(m): 6:36am On Feb 09, 2017
youngfocus:

format ur system put window 7 chikina tank me Lara

Hahahaha no lol, I like this OS
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Kenshinmunac(m): 6:39am On Feb 09, 2017
leo1234:

I experienced similar thing when I bought my windows pad.
The problem is that your system assumes that you are using free Wi-Fi, so its using data without restriction.
Solution: Anytime your are using hot-spot on your system, just go to Wi-Fi settings and change connection to metered. Always do this anytime you connect with a new device be it modem or phone.
Thank me later. grin

Thanks, I have done that
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Nobody: 6:42am On Feb 09, 2017
aa
Re: Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) by Kenshinmunac(m): 6:45am On Feb 09, 2017
oyb:
get O&O shutup . its one of the privacy tools out there for win 10

run through the settings - disable telemetry etc. this may reduce some of the bandwidth hogging.

note that when you start a new system for the first time you will burn data on updates. YOU CANNOT AVOID THIS. and it is important that you do not. alot of the apps on your PC need to update, for security and stabilty.

you can also get one of those firewall apps [i use windows firewall control] which will work with the firewall to block anything you do not expressly permit

note. you said the laptop is an dv6. the hp pavilion dv6 is a 2011 laptop. it is an entertainment laptop. that means it would have shipped with windows 7 home edition. you say it is running win 10 pro.

the laptop is NOT new. windows 10 was installed on it by whoever sold it to you. are you absolutely certain that it is not an improperly cracked/spyware laden version of win 10 running running on your laptop? is it win 10 technical preview , which new builds every week or so?

normally, the moment i buy a laptop, i immediately format and install to my own personal tastes, getting rid of any bloatware shipped with the laptop. if you are tech savvy, get the serial number of the previous windows build from the sticker on the laptop, or with some of those bios tools, get a win 10 iso , format and install from scratch. microsoft is still giving out win 10 for free if you use accessibility settings [google it]

It's dv6 core i7...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SOLD. USA Used Lenovo T420 Core I5 For Sale / How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage / LAPTOPS with TOUCHSCREEN / KEYBOARD LIGHT at CHEAP PRICES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.