Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,652 members, 7,813,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Testimonies Of An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Testimonies Of An Atheist (2954 Views)

Winners Chapel: We Have Received 36 Testimonies Of Healing Of Coronavirus Plague / 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Testimonies Of An Atheist by adoyi8: 10:30am On Feb 09, 2017
I still remember the first time I said in my mind that there may be no god. Fear griped me, I was expecting the ground to open and swallow me like the story of korah in the bible. That was six years ago.

As a result of my indoctrination into Christianity, I used to have this fear of not involving god in everything I do; I pray before I sleep because I fear that if I don’t pray before sleeping, I will have nightmares or may not even wake up. When sick, I pray before taking drugs because I feared that the drugs may not work without prayers. I pray before eating to remove poison (Nigerian movies actually caused this fear) and because I feared that if I don’t thank god for this meal he may get angry and deny me my next meal. I pray before travelling, taking exams etc.

To be honest, since I became an atheist, some unfortunate things have happened to me but it is very easy to look beside me and see a devoted Christian suffering worse.

Bad things have happened to me as an atheist yet good things also happened some of which are; I wrote JAMB and passed without prayers, I got admitted into the university without prayers, I have been travelling to and fro school and been arriving safely without prayers, I have graduated from the University with flying colors having taking all my exams without prayers

The highlight of my testimony is that I won a scholarship in 2014 (NNPC/Chevron JV scholarship) and was paid 100,000 naira thrice for the scholarship.

The manner in which I won the scholarship fits exactly into what a Christian might call a miracle. One of which was the fact that I was devastated after taking the test because I didn’t finish answering the test questions before I was forcefully logged out.

To make the story even more interesting, I applied for the scholarship with six of my other course mates some of them knew my stance on religion and I was the only one that got the scholarship.

The message I want to pass is that as a human being, you can get lucky sometimes and be unlucky other times (most accident victims prayed before their journey). You don’t get favored because you are a Christian, Muslim or an atheist. In fact if there is a god, he doesn’t care about your prayers.

I am an atheist graduate waiting to be mobilized for NYSC and I hope to share more testimonies with you.

37 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by JackBizzle: 10:54am On Feb 09, 2017
I tap into your testimony! grin grin

Brother! I wish you successful NYSC year and good job after.

Inspiring stuff.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by JackBizzle: 11:02am On Feb 09, 2017
My own testimony is not that inspiring but I think that it is interesting.

I was sick just before a job interview/test. I did not pray, yet I passed. Some of my people told me to pray for a miracle to pass the test. I did not, I just read till I passed out.

I passed with the minimum and still got the job.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by frank317: 11:11am On Feb 09, 2017
You are absolutely right. Life is random, we can only do our best, but it is not a guarantee for success. but every success requires some kind of effort from us.

I have religious folks around me who are quick to accuse any misfortune that befalls me on my lack of prayers, yet they over look their own misfortune or call it Gods will or temptations from the devil.

its both funny and frustrating to watch intelligent educated men and women behave like stark fools when is comes religion.

I have a lady friend who comes to me for help once in a while. But recently, I withdrew from activities that would make me spend extra, including too much giving (country done hard small) in other to achieve somethings by the end of the year.

She however opened up, complained how she just got admission and didnt have anyone to help her. She was so broke that she didnt even have money to eat and was thinking of defiling the admission.

I understood her plight but thought I should also tell her what I am going through so that she might understand why I might not give her as much as i used to.

But she cut me half way and accused me of not praying when I told some of my problems too. She said and i quote her "the problem with you is that u dont pray, why will you not go through issues like that"

i was so angry and frustrated and asked her why she came to me for help if she could pray and why she having problems too? I told her and i quote "You know what? you have God who can help you but I do not worship any God and so I am on my own. Tell your God who u pray to to help you and I will struggle to help myself."

she became apologetic and said perhaps God wants to use me to help her. I asked her, "How can a God I dont care about use me. well, since i dont care about him and he want to use me, i will refused to allow him use me. he must beg me with three white cock, 3 sweet 19yrs old virgins and a property in a galaxy far away.

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by adoyi8: 11:17am On Feb 09, 2017
JackBizzle:
My own testimony is not that inspiring but I think that it is interesting.

I was sick just before a job interview/test. I did not pray, yet I passed. Some of my people told me to pray for a miracle to pass the test. I did not, I just read till I passed out.

I passed with the minimum and still got the job.

Thats great!
Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by adoyi8: 11:23am On Feb 09, 2017
frank317:
But she cut me half way and accused me of not praying when I told some of my problems too. She said and i quote her "the problem with you is that u dont pray, why will you not go through issues like that"

i was so angry and frustrated and asked her why she came to me for help if she could pray and why she having problems too? I told her and i quote "You know what? you have God who can help you but I do not worship any God and so I am on my own. Tell your God who u pray to to help you and I will struggle to help myself."

very funny. I also have a friend in school who sees every test or exams i didnt perform well in as an opportunity to preach to me while forgetting the fact that my CGPA was far higher than his

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by randomperson: 12:13pm On Feb 09, 2017
When i saw testimonies of an atheist, I was like What the hell? Then I read the Op... Beautiful write up....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by HardMirror(m): 12:21pm On Feb 09, 2017
Indeed. Good and evil happens to us all coincidentally and as a result of our choices.

Terrible things have happened to me as an atheist. And I have also achieved so much beyond my wildest dreams.

I tell my christian friends. I may die a terrible death tomorrow, don't mock me and say I died because I don't believe in God, unfortunate things can happen to anyone.

Prayer is useless in changing the course of events in our lives.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by HardMirror(m): 12:25pm On Feb 09, 2017
frank317:
You are absolutely right. Life is random, we can only do our best, but it is not a guarantee for success. but every success requires some kind of effort from us.

I have religious folks around me who are quick to accuse any misfortune that befalls me on my lack of prayers, yet they over look their own misfortune or call it Gods will or temptations from the devil.

its both funny and frustrating to watch intelligent educated men and women behave like stark fools when is comes religion.

I have a lady friend who comes to me for help once in a while. But recently, I withdrew from activities that would make me spend extra, including too much giving (country done hard small) in other to achieve somethings by the end of the year.

She however opened up, complained how she just got admission and didnt have anyone to help her. She was so broke that she didnt even have money to eat and was thinking of defiling the admission.

I understood her plight but thought I should also tell her what I am going through so that she might understand why I might not give her as much as i used to.

she became apologetic and said perhaps God wants to use me to help her. I asked her, "How can a God I dont care about use me. well, since i dont care about him and he want to use me, i will refused to allow him use me. he must beg me with three white cock, 3 sweet 19yrs old virgins and a property in a galaxy far away.
Christians would read our testimonies and say the devil is only feeding us for slaughter, that all we enjoy are just temporary grace until god's wrath matures.
Well I would tell them that sango is only being merciful to them that is why he has not sent lightening to blast them for not acknowledging his (sango's) mercies.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by akintom(m): 12:53pm On Feb 09, 2017
adoyi8:

The manner in which I won the scholarship fits exactly into what a Christian might call a miracle. One of which was the fact that I was devastated after taking the test because I didn’t finish answering the test questions before I was forcefully logged out.

To make the story even more interesting, I applied for the scholarship with six of my other course mates some of them knew my stance on religion and I was the only one that got the scholarship.

You have just inspired a whole lot of folks, who are fettered by irrational fears of the imaginary god and its religidiots, to take the personal responsibility of breaking off from life buried in myths and idiocy, to that governed by reasons.

Some of these religidiots will still claim, that their scarecrow allowed you get the scholarship, because it want you to know that it loves you.

Freedom from religidiocy, is the best freedom that ever exist.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by obinna58(m): 1:35pm On Feb 09, 2017
I live with my elder sister, she is very religious and knows I'm atheist, even though she badly needed me to convert but we don't argue much about religion due to the fact their ar many questions she is confused of, I'm principled, royal, respectful and she likes me Cos problems aren't much difficult to get solved with me.

About two weeks ago I lost 330,000k after my last ticket celta Vigo scored 85 mins second goal that damaged my ticket though the game later ended celta 2-2 Madrid.

She went to vigil that night, came back the following morning, told me that god is angry with me and that's why my ticket fold up, she said my life would have been more better if I hadn't lost faith in god (I laughed).

Upon all punishment She believed god used bet9ja to punish me (mysterious god)

She believed my loss of faith cost real Madrid advancing to next stage of Copa Del Rey (god used me to punish ronaldo and co-team mates cos he is angry)
And she failed to believe I have a great power deciding matches when god is angry grin

Religionist have a different mind entirely cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 09, 2017
Insipiring stuff, my man. Inspiring!

Mine may not be as glamorous but....

During my 1st semester, I had a math exam I was woefully unprepared for. We had two math exams sandwiched together and I had paid the first one far more attention than the other. Hence, I was frantically trying to cover ground. I did not pray. It did not even occur to me; and that's remarkable for me given my high religious training (who is so great that god cannot do and so on...).
However, I had an inexplicable intuition to read the last topic we were taught; which was stupid because the lecturer hurriedly taught us that topic once and in a darkened hall. 95 percent, I'm sure, ignored that part.

Yet, when I got to the exam hall, a question only on that topic was boldly written in the "answer all" section.
Talk about some crazy luck shocked shocked.

Nowadays, I think most cases of anecdotal blessings and testimonies are just happy coincidences or mother luck playing a fast trick on us grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Wilgrea7(m): 1:59pm On Feb 09, 2017
i don't blend too much with the Christian view that they have some sort of upper hand like getting jobs, passing exams, health etc and nothing bad is supposed to happen to them... note that these things can happen to anyone irrespective of their religion.. this is because there are certain laws in the universe set by God himself.. good and bad things happen to everyone.. its the law of the universe.. I've observed that God doesn't necessarily make people's life miserable cuz they don't believe in him.. bad things will happen.. we just need to be prepared and pray for strength to endure (for the religious)... for the fact that good things happen to the religious and irreligious alike only shows that God doesn't make people suffer just because they doubt his existence...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by adoyi8: 2:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
Wilgrea7:

I've observed that God doesn't necessarily make people's life miserable cuz they don't believe in him.. bad things will happen.. we just need to be prepared and pray for strength to endure (for the religious)... for the fact that good things happen to the religious and irreligious alike only shows that God doesn't can't make people suffer just because they doubt his existence...

I agree with the bolded and disagree with slashed.
Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 2:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
Wilgrea7:
i don't blend too much with the Christian view that they have some sort of upper hand like getting jobs, passing exams, health etc and nothing bad is supposed to happen to them... note that these things can happen to anyone irrespective of their religion.. this is because there are certain laws in the universe set by God himself.. good and bad things happen to everyone.. its the law of the universe.. I've observed that God doesn't necessarily make people's life miserable cuz they don't believe in him.. bad things will happen.. we just need to be prepared and pray for strength to endure (for the religious)... for the fact that good things happen to the religious and irreligious alike only shows that God doesn't make people suffer just because they doubt his existence...

I see lots of sense in what you wrote but have you ever considered that bad things and good things happen to everyone regardless of belief BECAUSE there might not be a god? or god is extremely indifferent to us aka Deistic version of god?

let's take the JudeoChristian version of god

look at the bible, we have god interfering in the affairs of those who believed in him in the old testament, visiting wrath to those that don't believe in him and even gifting worse wrath to those that serve other version of gods

Then comes Jesus Christ who claims his followers shall do more than him, he even specifically said you can move mountains with faith as small as mustard seed

looking at the real world, one can make 1 of the 3 conclusions on Jesus word

1. Nigerians that pray to god for intervention through Jesus name do not have faith up to the size of a mustard seed

2. Those that have faith at least as small as mustard seed are not praying to Yahweh for intervention through Jesus name

3. Jesus lied when he said that or he never even said that at all

what's your take?

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Nobody: 2:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
undecided OP, I don't get it, if atheism is not a religion why are you giving your "testimony" in a religion forum, what is the aim of posting it here if you are not practicing any religion, are you sure you guys are not confused?

It doesn't make sense or is it that atheists don't understand what religion means
Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by adoyi8: 3:54pm On Feb 09, 2017
Pidgin2:
undecided OP, I don't get it, if atheism is not a religion why are you giving your "testimony" in a religion forum, what is the aim of posting it here if you are not practicing any religion, are you sure you guys are not confused?

It doesn't make sense or is it that atheists don't understand what religion means

The aim of this post is to clear a misconception people have that good things happen to them because they obeyed or prayed to god.

why am I posting a testimony here? well the name of the forum might be religion forum but there are so many of my fellow atheists here and I wrote this post here to share my good fortunes with them. The question is why did you read the post when you were obviously not invited.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Wilgrea7(m): 4:15pm On Feb 09, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I see lots of sense in what you wrote but have you ever considered that bad things and good things happen to everyone regardless of belief BECAUSE there might not be a god? or god is extremely indifferent to us aka Deistic version of god?

let's take the JudeoChristian version of god

look at the bible, we have god interfering in the affairs of those who believed in him in the old testament, visiting wrath to those that don't believe in him and even gifting worse wrath to those that serve other version of gods.

one of the reasons i don't defend or try to rationalize biblical stories is because the story of the present age seems clearly different... i don't want to try other gods cuz i don't see the need to

Then comes Jesus Christ who claims his followers shall do more than him, he even specifically said you can move mountains with faith as small as mustard seed

looking at the real world, one can make 1 of the 3 conclusions on Jesus word

1. Nigerians that pray to god for intervention through Jesus name do not have faith up to the size of a mustard seed

2. Those that have faith at least as small as mustard seed are not praying to Yahweh for intervention through Jesus name

3. Jesus lied when he said that or he never even said that at all

what's your take?

nice observation.. i don't mean to offend my Christian brethren who are reading this but we were given a book with the supposed sayings of Jesus.. it may be true.. who knows.. I've read many gospels attributed to Jesus outside the bible.. my point is, I don't have any faith measuring device.. i cant raise the dead or cast out demons but i pray to get there someday.. the reason why I'm still following christianity is because of Christ.. not by letter.. but by experience.. I've experienced miracles.. not the ones staged in church.. no.. not the ones done by a pastor.. looking back at my life i know there is something about the divine.. I've shared a testimony of my dad some time ago of how he was without a scratch even after being shot in the chest at very close range.. i know christians who have died.. I'm not better than them.. I've noticed there's something about the divine.. something i still don't have words to describe.. that's why i like listening to the likes of s.arrasin, b.enodic and L.oj.. but i still do not reject the divinity of Christ.. because of my personal experiences.. that's why i said everyone's story is different... but regarding faith.. i know mine has limits and i still don't fully understand how it works.. maybe in time i will

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Wilgrea7(m): 4:18pm On Feb 09, 2017
adoyi8:

why do you disagree with the bolded?
Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by HardMirror(m): 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2017
obinna58:

I live with my elder sister, she is very religious and knows I'm atheist, even though she badly needed me to convert but we don't argue much about religion due to the fact their ar many questions she is confused of, I'm principled, royal, respectful and she likes me Cos problems aren't much difficult to get solved with me.

About two weeks ago I lost 330,000k after my last ticket celta Vigo scored 85mins second goal that damaged my ticket though the game later ended celta 2-2 Madrid.

she went to vigil that night, came back the following morning, told me that god is angry with me and that's why my ticket fold up, she said my life would have been more better if I hadn't lost faith in god (I laughed).

Upon all punishment She believed god used bet9ja to punished me (mysterious god)
She believed my loss of faith cost real Madrid advancing to next stage of Copa Del Rey (god used me to punish ronaldo and co-team mates cos he is angry)
And she failed to believe I have a great power deciding matches when god is angry grin

Hehehehe

Christians behave as if only unbelievers suffer misfortune and they always have excuses for unanswered prayers. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Wilgrea7(m): 4:22pm On Feb 09, 2017
adoyi8:

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Wilgrea7(m): 4:22pm On Feb 09, 2017
adoyi8:

MODIFIED

sorry for the excess quote... it was a temporary network error
Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by HardMirror(m): 4:26pm On Feb 09, 2017
Pidgin2:

Ok ok ok
Atheism is a religion. Happy now? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by adoyi8: 4:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
Wilgrea7:

From my experience as an atheist and ex-christian, being prepared can help you let's say to pass an examination but prayers can not.

Well you say god doesn't punish people because they doubt his existence. many Christians will disagree with you but as an atheist I think it is not because he doesn't want to punish them but because he can't.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
adoyi8:

The aim of this post is to clear a misconception people have that good things happen to them because they obeyed or prayed to god.

why am I posting a testimony here? well the name of the forum might be religion forum but there are so many of my fellow atheists here and I wrote this post here to share my good fortunes with them. The question is why did you read the post when you were obviously not invited.

Why are so many of you here, you don't believe in religion so why are you guys here?
Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by JackBizzle: 5:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
Pidgin2:

Why are so many of you here, you don't believe in religion so why are you guys here?

I am waiting for the day that you will get tired of this silly question.

undecided

4 Likes

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by adoyi8: 5:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
Pidgin2:

we don't believe in religion? I don't get you.

if you meant to say we don't believe in god, then you are right because he doesn't exist but religion exists and it is evil and affects many aspects of our lives. that's y we are against it.

in summary we are not against god (because he doesn't exist) we are against religion which actually exists and affects us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Nobody: 5:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
adoyi8:
I still remember the first time I said in my mind that there may be no god. Fear griped me, I was expecting the ground to open and swallow me like the story of korah in the bible. That was six years ago.

Thank you for sharing, we've all been through hard times and good, regardless of our beliefs.
I wish you good luck.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2017
obinna58:

About two weeks ago I lost 330,000k after my last ticket celta Vigo scored 85mins second goal that damaged my ticket though the game later ended celta 2-2 Madrid.

she went to vigil that night, came back the following morning, told me that god is angry with me and that's why my ticket fold up, she said my life would have been more better if I hadn't lost faith in god (I laughed).

Upon all punishment She believed god used bet9ja to punished me (mysterious god)

I swear grin grin
When I was religious and heavily into sports betting, I wanted to bet on a couple of matches I'd been thinking on for the past week, but that day as I went to the first bet shop I was pretty weak and a fever started soon after, yet I walked under the hot sun to that place, when I got there it was too full to bet, so I had to walk back towards the opposite direction ( I needed cash badly).
My head was on fire, but I had a feeling that this was the work of the devil trying to stop my successful game from entering, why else all the challenges ( grin grin ) so I continued my walk and almost collapsed two or three times, when I got to the other shop, it was still full, but I waited until I placed my bet, after which I returned home glad that the devils plan had failed.
That night I watched in pains as not one but three predictions were wrong. I couldn't understand it, I'd even promised to give ten percent as tithe.
I scratch head tire

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by akintom(m): 6:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
adoyi8:

The apologists are perfectly deflated already on this forum. They are in disarray now and in serious pains of what atheistic thoughts, have done to their tales by Jewish myths.

They threatened to boycott the forum, ignore atheists' thread and invoke the wrath of their skydaddy. None of these have they been able to carry out.

Those who walk with Yahweh are losers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by hahn(m): 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
akintom:

The apologists are perfectly deflated already on this forum. They are in disarray now and in serious pains of what atheistic thoughts, have done to their tales by Jewish myths.

They threatened to boycott the forum, ignore atheists' thread and invoke the wrath of their skydaddy. None of these have they been able to carry out.

Those who walk with Yahweh are losers.

Yahweh indeed is a god of failure cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Testimonies Of An Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 8:55pm On Feb 09, 2017
Wilgrea7:

one of the reasons i don't defend or try to rationalize biblical stories is because the story of the present age seems clearly different... i don't want to try other gods cuz i don't see the need to

nice observation.. i don't mean to offend my Christian brethren who are reading this but we were given a book with the supposed sayings of Jesus.. it may be true.. who knows.. I've read many gospels attributed to Jesus outside the bible.. my point is, I don't have any faith measuring device.. i cant raise the dead or cast out demons but i pray to get there someday.. the reason why I'm still following christianity is because of Christ.. not by letter.. but by experience.. I've experienced miracles.. not the ones staged in church.. no.. not the ones done by a pastor.. looking back at my life i know there is something about the divine.. I've shared a testimony of my dad some time ago of how he was without a scratch even after being shot in the chest at very close range.. i know christians who have died.. I'm not better than them.. I've noticed there's something about the divine.. something i still don't have words to describe.. that's why i like listening to the likes of s.arrasin, b.enodic and L.oj.. but i still do not reject the divinity of Christ.. because of my personal experiences.. that's why i said everyone's story is different... but regarding faith.. i know mine has limits and i still don't fully understand how it works.. maybe in time i will
We have a lot in common.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Extreme Wife's Submission To Her Husband According To The New Covenant. / Is There Any Biblical Prophecy About Rise Of Islam? / Today Is Good Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.