Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church (2226 Views)

Our Contract Awards Pass Through Due Process- Akwa-Ibom Govt / nPDP Members Set To Pull Out Of APC Over Failed Congresses, Others / Akwa Ibom Govt Refuses To Release Report On Church Collapse That Killed 27 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by adem30: 5:23pm On Feb 09, 2017
The Akwa Ibom State government is set to pull down a multi-million naira church building belonging to the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, in Uyo, the state capital.

The area in which the church is built is prone to landslide, the government says.

The building is located along the Uyo Village Road, almost opposite the collapsed Reigners Bible Church.

The RCCG’s building became the focus of government attention immediately after the collapse of the Reigners Church building, December 10. Twenty-seven worshippers lost their lives, while several others were injured in the tragic incident.

The governor of the state, Udom Emmanuel, who was among the worshippers, narrowly escaped death.

The state government, through the Uyo Capital City Development Authority, UCCDA, is accusing RCCG of putting up the massive building without obtaining a government permit.

A similar accusation has been made against Reigners during the sitting of the commission of inquiry set up by the government to investigate the church collapse.

When a PREMIUM TIMES reporter visited the Redeemed Church premises, the building was marked with red paint by the UCCDA, indicating that it was billed for demolition.

The church, Mount of Deliverance Mega Parish, was dedicated by the founder of RCCG, Enoch Adeboye in December 2012.

The Director of Town Planning in the UCCDA, Effiong Akpan, confirmed to this newspaper that they were set to demolish it.

“We have written to the government to release the funds needed for the demolition. We will pull down the building as soon as we get the money.

“It is not only the Redeemed Church that is affected, all the buildings along the Uyo Village Road that we have marked will be demolished,” Mr. Akpan said, adding that the government had declared the area a conservation area since 2000 after discovering that it was prone to landslide.

About three more other churches in the area, including a petrol station, are affected.

The Uyo local government office, at the Uyo Village Road, is exempted from the planned demolition because it was built before the government declared the area a conservation area, Mr. Akpan said.

When PREMIUM TIMES met with the pastor-in-charge of the Redeemed Church, Goke Aniyeloye, he declined comment.

A concerned worshipper at the church premises told PREMIUM TIMES that he believed the government would not pull down the church.

“God says ‘On this rock I will build my church, and the gate of hell shall not prevail’,” he quoted a verse in the Bible, with a shrug.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/south-south-regional/223044-building-collapse-akwa-ibom-govt-pull-multi-million-naira-redeemed-church.html

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by toltee4real: 5:26pm On Feb 09, 2017
sentiment apart, are they wrong or not.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
.chai. .!! nija which way.. and they say there are no jobs

how I wish they could channel such funds used here to set up a manufacturing factory as it's done in other countries
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by adem30: 5:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
toltee4real:

My point is If this happens in the North, It will be termed Islamization of Nigeria

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Geestarry(f): 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
Let's see how this goes?
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by toltee4real: 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2017
no mind dem
adem30:

My point is If this happens in the North, It will be termed Islamization of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by JideAmuGiaka: 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
adem30:

My point is if this happens to be a mosque, heads of innocent Nigerians would have rolled.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by CriticMaestro: 5:42pm On Feb 09, 2017
owk, shay dey go compensate them?
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by meezynetwork(m): 5:45pm On Feb 09, 2017
Hmmm, no need to demolish. Fortify the building with strong pillars
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Vision4God: 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2017
Ha!
Not at a time like ds.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by kabrud: 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

My point is if this happens to be a mosque, heads of innocent Nigerians would have rolled.
My point is, how many mosques are allowed in the yeast compared to the north, eg Kano or sokoto?

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by kabrud: 5:48pm On Feb 09, 2017
adem30:

That's just the bitter truth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 09, 2017
The Islamisation is real grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Okwyjesus(m): 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2017
toltee4real:

Am a redeemed person and l will never support building without proper state approval. Even the church don't encourage that l know. But govt need to give waver to churches in certain issues.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Young03(m): 6:03pm On Feb 09, 2017
prevention is better than cure
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Iamwrath: 6:03pm On Feb 09, 2017
adem30:

That's exactly what I wanted to write

If this happened in Kaduna, liepods will start shouting short devil, evil cabal, Hell Rufai is killing Christians in order to islamize South Kaduna ,

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by tinkinjow: 7:01pm On Feb 09, 2017
adem30:

Always think and look at issues critically. The guy talking there said all buildings along the stretch of Uyo village road including residential houses and a filling station. Now how is that compared to selective demolitions of churches as done in the north.
In any case if churches are destroyed down south then it's a different matter since it's not mosques that are being demolished. There won't be any outcry if it's mosques that are being destroyed up north.

The sooner Nigerians have true perspective on issues the better.

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by abouzaid: 7:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
destroying all those houses would be a great waste, why not build protective structures to be partly funded by the defaulting building owners.countries like USA and Australia have worse landscape and soils yet they would rather protect than destroy.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by adem30: 7:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
tinkinjow:

Always think and look at issues critically. The guy talking there said all buildings along the stretch of Uyo village road including residential houses and a filling station. Now how is that compared to selective demolitions of churches as done in the north.
In any case if churches are destroyed down south then it's a different matter since it's not mosques that are being demolished. There won't be any outcry if it's mosques that are being destroyed up north.

The sooner Nigerians have true perspective on issues the better.

Bros, you carefully read the report because you are a southerner and its happening in the South. I am 80% sure if it's in the North you won't considered other things mentioned in the writeup. I am also a southerner, but we must tell ourselves the bitter truth when it comes to sentiments

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by fowosh: 7:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
I tire sha
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by BlackSeptember: 7:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
kabrud:

My point is, how many mosques are allowed in the yeast compared to the north, eg Kano or sokoto?
How many Muslims are there that ypu want to disturb us?

Uyo Muslim population is not up to 1000
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by Eldee54321(m): 7:44pm On Feb 09, 2017
Haaaaaa.....see d kain building the wan demolish...una wan die niiiii??......
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by kabrud: 7:59pm On Feb 09, 2017
BlackSeptember:
How many Muslims are there that ypu want to disturb us?

Uyo Muslim population is not up to 1000

Oh! Really? Tell me something. U mean there are more christians in ZAMFARA than there are muslims in the yeast? Are u sure of what u are saying? Is it the same places that christians dare not worship? Interesting to hear that religion that is not tolerated in particular places can now boast of good number of its adherents in those same places it is not tolerated. What a contradiction.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by MakeWeTalk: 8:02pm On Feb 09, 2017
please sir pull am down well well.

in fact ban Redeemed altogether, they are based on lies.

There is nothing good in redeemed church, nothing.

see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8zZWvvaEaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_7RflrL2nk
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by BlackSeptember: 8:05pm On Feb 09, 2017
kabrud:

Oh! Really? Tell me something. U mean there are more christians in ZAMFARA than there are muslims in the yeast? Are u sure of what u are saying? Is it the same places that christians dare not worship? Interesting to hear that religion that is not tolerated in particular places can now boast of good number of its adherents in those same places it is not tolerated. What a contradiction.
what is this Haboki that went to school through Quota system saying
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by kabrud: 8:05pm On Feb 09, 2017
adem30:

Bros, you carefully read the report because you are a southerner and its happening in the South. I am 80% if it's in the North you won't considered other things mentioned in the writeup. I am also a southerner, but we must tell ourselves the biter truth when it comes to sentiments

NL has objective members. This of them.
-Shakespeare-

Thumb up bro.

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by samtol4(m): 8:09pm On Feb 09, 2017
Okwyjesus:

Am a redeemed person and l will never support building without proper state approval. Even the church don't encourage that l know. But govt need to give waver to churches in certain issues.
Where was the govt when the church was building this structure ? Govt gave approval
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by kabrud: 8:24pm On Feb 09, 2017
BlackSeptember:
what is this Haboki that went to school through Quota system saying

Hehehe, not about how far, but how well bro. I went to school through Quota System but ended up more learned than you who acquired education through merit. For instance, let me assess your English.

1. Always start a sentence with the upper case letter of the alphabets.
2. Proper nouns are spelt with initial upper case letters, e.g Quota System.
3. A question is always ended with the mark '?'.

All these in a simple sentence! Just imagine what will happen in a complex sentence not to talk of a whole passage.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by BlackSeptember: 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
kabrud:

Hehehe, not about how far, but how well bro. I went to school through Quota System but ended up more learned than you who acquired education through merit. For instance, let me assess your English.

1. Always start a sentence with the upper case letter of the alphabets.
2. Proper nouns are spelt with initial upper case letters, e.g Quota System.
3. A question is always ended with the mark '?'.

All these in a simple sentence! Just imagine what will happen in a complex sentence not to talk of a whole passage.

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by kabrud: 8:45pm On Feb 09, 2017
[quote author=BlackSeptember post=53568186][/quote]

And rather than proving the much trumpeted merit, he is now hiding behind internet meme. When educated Southerners are talking, illiterates will just be jumping up and down in false and very vague solidarity. Now run away from here.

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt To Pull Down Multi-million Naira Redeemed Church by JideAmuGiaka: 1:19pm On Feb 10, 2017
kabrud:

How many times have you been denied building a mosque in east?.

(1) (Reply)

Must Watch: Why Is Saraki Looking At Dino Malaye Like That...!?! / Why It Is Wrong To Tell IPOB To Become A Political Party / Breaking News PMB Grants First Interview In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.