Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,924 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life (739 Views)

The Meaning Of I Will Prepare A table Before You In The Presence Of Your Enemies / The Purpose Of Ministry Is Redemption Not Fame! / What Is The Meaning Of 666? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by Nobody: 5:55am On Feb 10, 2017
I haven't posted in quite some while, but this is a subject I've given particularly deep thought on.
The purpose of life.
Before I begin I'd like to state that this is just my view on it, I do not regard it as absolute, we are all free to believe what we wish.
The meaning of life is a philosophical question that has kept theologians and philosophers fat for as long as man began to care about the answer, and as one book "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" rightly joked, if it was ever discovered and widely accepted, they would find themselves in less lucrative standings. grin
Really excellent book.
Nihilists believe that life has no meaning, some believe we can only go so far as to give ourselves meaning, but in the grand scheme of things all our actions are inconsequential.
Most religions on the other hand propound the belief, that life and humanity plays a much larger role in the universe, that we do have meaning and are not inconsequential. This belief is usually connected to some Godly entity or spirit.

What I believe
I believe that all living entities do have a biological programmed purpose, and that purpose is simply to continue. To continue to exist in one form or the other. Reproduction basically is transferring a bit of what makes us us into another organism.
That is simply it.
Humanity having developed such advanced processing capacities as never before seen in the history of the earth, might have this purpose obscured.
So lets take it a notch down, let's go into the world of simpler organisms.
Why does a bacteria exist, what is it's ultimate purpose?
It doesn't love, it doesn't hate, it doesn't think of the future or past, or the last episode of Sherlock.
It simply exists and multiplies for the sole purpose of existing and multiplying.
Same with the virus, they have no aims or objectives, yet they continue to continue.

Lets go a bit higher, the mayfly is an insect that can live for anything from 30 minutes to 24 hours. With such a short life span, one might ask what is the ultimate purpose of the mayfly's life, with such a short life span you hardly have time to even get acquainted with life, the pressure to continue is even more, to preserve yourself by what ever means possible. Mayflies lay anything from 50 to 10,000 eggs, which is the only reason they still exist, the mayfly doesn't think to itself, "I have such a short time left, I might as well just binge watch super story episodes, its not like I actually matter."
It those what it's programmed to do. It continues for the sake of continuing, no other thought process is given to it.
I think that is the purpose of life, that is why we do what we do, to continue. That is the role of all biological beings, whether they live for 30 minutes or for 6,000 years. People that commit suicides do so because they no longer want to continue in a world they deem as meaningless or cruel, and that's it, they've gone on for as long as they think they can. Thats all we can ever do. To go on for as long as possible.

Life is short(except if you're a Galapagos tortoise or a virus, but if you're mammalian), don't spend your life doing something you hate, search, discover, love.

Despite what rap music might tell you, our ultimate purpose is not money or fame, its simply living. Time will surely wipe away sooner or later all traces of our existence no matter how rich or famous we become.

So live life to the fullest, find or create happiness, because at the end of the day it is all that will truly matter, enjoy life for as long as you possibly can.

Hahn hopefullandlord coolusername jonbellion akintom
Seun hardmirror sirwere johnnydon22

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by Nobody: 6:15am On Feb 10, 2017
I agree with you bro, if this is your final conclusion

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by oglalasioux(m): 7:16am On Feb 10, 2017
Life has no defined purpose. That it's complex doesn't mean it's designed. Though we are awed by the complexities of life, there are almost equal flaws to it in form of chronic diseases ranging from cancer to schizophrenia and the aging process itself.

Just as some people look at the earth and believe it must have a designer, they fail to see that same earth is an equally dangerous place with violent volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, storms, landslides etc. and will one day be obliterated by the sun as the later runs out of nuclear fuel.

I agree with the OP that we should make our own purpose of living; making most out of the earth and lending a helping hand to those whom nature wasn't lucky on.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by hopefulLandlord: 9:51am On Feb 10, 2017
Theists don't even know what the hell they themselves mean by "meaning of life". If pressed for specifics they'd come up with the same things as the atheists in the article, but somehow they'd be more "meaning-y". You see, if there's no god, the love of/for family/spouses/friends is meaningless. But if there is a god then it can count as part of the "meaning of life".

"Meaning" is just a (probably subconscious) equivocation for everything that gives the theist pleasure, happiness, contentment, and which helps allay anxiety. No gods necessary for those endeavors.

"Meaning" strikes me as one of those terms where a lot of people seem wholly convinced they not only know exactly what it means, but that they are also in absolute agreement with everyone else on what it means. Of course, when pressed on the point, the answers given tend show pretty clearly that the Meaning of Meaning is in actuality a very nebulous and diffuse thing.

The principle basically seems to boil down to "my meaning is more meaningful than your meaning because I feel how meaningful my meaning is while I don't feel how meaningful your meaning is therefore my meaning is more meaningful."; it reminds me of the interview with Feynman where he mentions an artist friend of his saying he (Feynman) was unable to appreciate the beauty of a flower the way an artist can because the science gets in the way... or some such.

Theists are also in habit of saying "Life is absurd without God"

Is life absurd without Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny?

When we were children, we believed in such things. In fact, there was more evidence for their existence, i.e. toys at Christmas, a jolly fat man dressed in red with a white beard; money where a tooth used to be; colored eggs, candy, etc. than there is for this perceived god.

Did we, when we grew older and learned it was all fantasy, wring our hands, pout, moan and groan about how life was 'absurd' and had 'no meaning' because they didn't exist? No! We enjoyed life, our family, our friends, the new things that we learned and are learning, the the hopes, the dreams and the future that was and is ahead of us.

So, a statement such as 'Life is absurd if there is no god' is a statement of a small retarded mind that refuses to grow up and appreciate all of the things life has to offer. What a miserable state of mind this must be, to have nothing to enjoy, live for, etc. because this fairy tale god doesn't exist.

If purpose an meaning in life can only be achieved by believing in a god, then do Wiccans who believe in the god and the goddess have twice as much meaning in their lives? Do polytheists then have the most meaning in their lives? Is it binary, as in, one either has purpose and meaning or one simply does not? Or is it a fuzzy boundary, in which a person can have some meaning and purpose -- are there degrees?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by hahn(m): 10:20am On Feb 10, 2017
You have said it all basically. Life is what you make of it

However, as my wife like to say, "not everyone can lead. Most people prefer to be lead" and that is why many people subscribe to religious teachings and philosophy. Being independent and self confident can be hard work. Often people prefer to follow the "my pastor said" shortcut and would rather live their lives based on stone age books written by illiterate goat herders

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by akintom(m): 10:32am On Feb 10, 2017
Your piece got me sober and refreshingly reminded of the realistic facts of life.

I agree with your conclusion, as it's tied to the pursuit of HAPPINESS. Nothing worth living for, if it will not lead to the bursting of happiness fountain.

Fountain of happiness is contagious. A happy life radiates infectious peace, love, kindness, beauty, resilience, bravery and prosperity.

I have no other purpose other than the pursuit of HAPPINESS. I think and act in such a way that smiles grace my face 80% of my 24/7/365.

The thoughts of a purpose of life, defined by some anachronistic beliefs and philosophy (god idea and religion), breed most of the pathogenic pathways of miseries and vanities.

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by hopefulLandlord: 3:28am On Feb 11, 2017
akintom:
Your piece got me sober and refreshingly reminded of the realistic facts of life.

I agree with your conclusion, as it's tied to the pursuit of HAPPINESS. Nothing worth living for, if it will not lead to the bursting of happiness fountain.

Fountain of happiness is contagious. A happy life radiates infectious peace, love, kindness, beauty, resilience, bravery and prosperity.

I have no other purpose other than the pursuit of HAPPINESS. I think and act in such a way that smiles grace my face 80% of my 24/7/365.

The thoughts of a purpose of life, defined by some anachronistic beliefs and philosophy (god idea and religion), breed most of the pathogenic pathways of miseries and vanities.

nice one

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Meaning/purpose Of Life by Droldnallufepoh: 9:24am On May 20, 2017
I miss Lennycool

(1) (Reply)

Video: How I Escaped Been Lynched By Some Gullible Christians / Pastor, Members Flee As Strange Snake Appears On Church Altar In Kaduna (pics) / Aba Diocesan Student Fellowship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.