Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,321 members, 7,846,434 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds (15273 Views)

The Enduring Legacies Of A Seasoned Parliamentarian, Davematics David E Ombugadu / Navy's 'Operation Octopus Grip' In Bayelsa, Delta Set To Be Launched / Breaking! Nigerians Voted On Igbo Presidency In 2019. See Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 7:15pm On Feb 12, 2017
This Ibo boy is embarrassing Ibos on NL grin
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by vanbonattel: 7:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

I know you lie a lot. Show me ONE CofO any of you have to lay claim on any land you purportedly bought.
We will keep collecting your money to sell our swamps to you and we won't give you a single CofO

Who needs a Cofo when I have sold my plot for 17 million, making a crazy 16.5 million profit after 3 years. You can choke on your cofo for all I care grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by vanbonattel: 7:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

Do you even have up to 20 hectares of land in your village after erosion and nature have finished you off ? grin
Your well being is tied down to living in yorubaland grin

We have only 2 hectares in the whole Igboland, but envy and jealousy will not allow you to sleep. You that have 300 hectares cannot form your own useless country because of the fear of the fulani. Shame grin

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 7:20pm On Feb 12, 2017
vanbonattel:

Who needs a Cofo when I have sold my plot for 17 million, making a crazy 16.5 million profit after 3 years. You can choke on your cofo for all I care grin grin

Heheheheheheh I know you Ibos are liars and losers, tell me which part of Lagos you have your phantom land. I'm sure you are one hungry Ibo boy somewhere in the village
Go and recover your land that erosion have finished grin

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 7:21pm On Feb 12, 2017
vanbonattel:

We have only 2 hectares in the whole Igboland, but envy and jealousy will not allow you to sleep. You that have 300 hectares cannot form your own useless country because of the fear of the fulani. Shame grin

As usual lying is critical part of you Ibos
Tell me one single way anyone is preventing you from going
You want to buy land while erosion is creating havoc in your villages, are you ok?

2 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by vanbonattel: 7:23pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

Heheheheheheh I know you Ibos are liars and losers, tell me which part of Lagos you have your phantom land. I'm sure you are one hungry Ibo boy somewhere in the village

grin grin [ singing]

If you see my land, make you no jealous
if you see my car, make you no jealous
jealousy go quench, wayo go quench,
jealousy go quench, wayo too go quench grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by vanbonattel: 7:26pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

You cannot take the beating again so you want to post fake pictures, continue, Afterall that's what yorubas are good at. grin

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by vanbonattel: 7:30pm On Feb 12, 2017
It seems my flying kick to the head flattened the cone headed afonja called Eledan.
Where dem dey cheesy grin cheesy
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 7:53pm On Feb 12, 2017
paramakina202:
Remember that some were fathered by Afonjas and Ewusas during the war,so op could be one of them.

Hmmmn..... sad
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:07pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:
Typical ibo, always ready to degenerate any elder that speaks what he doesn't want to hear
You are free to keep writing your trash, but the whole world have documentary evidences of the party's played by all actors, and most you won't like.

That chap you quoted is denigrating a man who is not only old enough to be his grandfather, but also someone who has served this country meritoriously. I doubt if he has achieved half of what Asiodu achieved as a young man, in Nigeria.

Who is Philip Chukwuedo Asiodu? He is a well-respected public figure and technocrat who served as a permanent secretary in Gowon's cabinet and also as a Minister of Petroleum in 1992/93. He attended Kings College Lagos, and later graduated from Oxford University in England with a bachelor's and Masters' degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics. His brother was one of those who lost their lives in the Asaba massacre during the civil war.

Phillip Asiodu, (CON) (born 19 February 1934) is a Nigerian Diplomat, Bureaucrat and former Minister of Petroleum, Nigeria. He studied Philosophy, in Oxford University.

Life and career
Phillip was born February 26, 1934 in Lagos State, southwestern Nigeria. He attended King’s College before he proceeded to Queen's College, Oxford where he obtained a master's degree in Philosophy. He joined the Nigerian Civil service in 1964 and became the Federal Permanent Secretary, and first served under General Gowon before and during the Nigeria-Biafra war....

He later became Special Adviser to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Alhaji Shehu Shagari on economic affairs. In 1999, he was appointed Chief Economic Adviser to the former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. Among other leadership roles includes the planning and implementation of Nigeria’s oil and gas policies. He also took part in the negotiations for Nigeria’s admission into OPEC, 1971. Read the rest here
: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Asiodu

Born on 26th February, 1934. Chief Phillip Asiodu attended King’s College, Lagos with top grades before proceeding to the Queen’s College, Oxford where he read Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE).

Chief Phillip Asiodu entered the Nigerian Foreign Service at the age of 23 and rose to be Chancellor, Nigerian Mission to the UN in New York at the dawn of Nigeria’s independence. He was also Nigerian Representative in the Provisional Secretariat of the newly formed OAU. Now a renowned diplomat and bureaucrat, he moved over to the domestic Civil Service in 1964, where he was appointed Federal Permanent Secretary, in what was to culminate in the legendary top career that earned Asiodu (and one or two others) the sobriquet, Super Permanent Secretary. In 1983, he was appointed Special Adviser to the President (Shagari) and Chairman Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, returning to the similar post of Chief Economic Adviser to the President (Obasanjo) in 1999;

In between, he was Secretary (Minister) for Petroleum and Mineral Resources in the Transitional Council of 1992/93, and in 2001-2005, he served as a member of the Honorary Presidential Advisory Council on investment. He joined the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 1998, became a Trustee of the party, and in 1999 contested nomination as the party’s Presidential candidate: he was unsuccessful. He has served as Chairman and ear Trustee at different times on the Nigerian Conservation, WWF international and the National Committee of the World Energy Council. In private business, he has also served as Director or Chairman of several corporations, subsidiaries of multinationals; mainly manufacturing, oil, and banking sub-sectors.

Asiodu exudes great knowledge and confidence: he has indeed played high profile and leadership roles in the planning and implementation of Nigeria’s oil and gas policies, beginning with negotiations for Nigeria’s admission into OPEC, 1971. His other achievements in this sector include the establishment of NNOC, the recruitment of several Nigerian graduates for training abroad in oil technology, the partial nationalization of oil exploration and production, the decision in 1975 to establish two LNG plants, to build refineries in Warri and Kaduna, establish the Petroleum Training Institute (PTI) Warri (with Russian help).

Asiodu, is a past President of the Nigerian Economic Society; life Honorary Vice President of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industries. He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute. Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Management, Nigerian Institute of Directors and Honorary Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Mining & Geosciences.

He has been at different times President of the Nigerian-German Business Council, Chairman Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) Board of Patrons and of its Policy and Governance Commission. He was also the recipient of the national honours of Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON). He is an Honorary Fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Engineering.
http://www.nae.org.ng/fellows_profiles.asp?id=24

3 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:09pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:
Yes, that shows you the SW is the most prosperous part of Nigeria. The best of Igbos don't succeed until they step foot into Yoruba land. Tinubu stated same in the presence of your elders, that you only succeed in Nigeria if you come to the most prosperous and peaceful part of the country.
Your survival as a race depends on the tribe you love to hate
Deal with it grin

Chai!! Hehehe..... I don talk say I no go laugh today, but..... wink cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:13pm On Feb 12, 2017
nku5:
Sorry to burst your bubble but I cant on account of your NL post, discard the written account by Major Adewale Ademoyega, one of the masterminds of the coup who said it was by no means a tribal matter.

It was a patrotic act by young idealistic officers. Revisionists like you turned it to a tribal matter and are the ones responsible for starting the war, setting Nigeria backwards and to a large extent are responsible for the likely coming division of this country

Alright, the coup was not a tribal matter. undecided But out of all the coup plotters from different tribes, who staged the coup, it was only the Igbo coup plotters who fired the shots that snuffed life out of the political leaders who hailed from other ethnic groups, while their own political leaders were allowed to escape. Are you happy now?? sad

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
vanbonattel:
You are not peaceful, we are just more determined to coexist in spite of your hate. And we always win while you simmer with hate and send agberos to go harass our people. Sometimes they fight the eze ndi igbo, sometimes you just wake up and boil with envy.

You need to advice your people. Tribalism kills, of what use is your hate since all those years, has it stopped us? Have it made us to stop making our money?

Kontinuu grin
So many people from other ethnic groups (including minority tribes like my own) settle in Lagos, and live amicably with their hosts. But why is it always your own people that stoke the embers of conflict? shocked If in your view the people of the South-west (i.e. the Yoruba) are tribalistic, doesn't it make sense for you chaps to stop populating their cities in droves? All the money you make in Lagos, can still be made by your people if they stay in the East, not so? Why not stay back in your own districts or regions, to avoid the tribalism you keep talking about? Just saying. sad

vanbonattel:
He must be a beneficiary of Awolowo free and useless education which deformed the south west grin
Guy, Awolowo's free education was enjoyed by the Western Igbo people who formed part of the old Midwest region. Please never forget that. Many of them would NOT have become the successful people they are today, without the benefit of Awolowo's free education programme. Do your research. sad

3 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2017
vanbonattel:
The beating is too much on him, confusion has set in on his afonja brain grin
Nah, everyone can see that Eledan took you and your friend to the cleaners! cool

Eledan:
Igbo traders that need Yoruba market to survive?
Is your brain working ? grin
Hmm... good point. sad The market in the South-West, helps them make money. Without it, what would happen? I don't even want to think about it.

2 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by amInigerian: 8:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
TheSociopath:
The enduring grip of historical falsehoods on Igbo minds continues to poison both Igbo culture and psyche.

BY TOCHUKWU EZUKANMA FEB 06, 2017

My recent article, the messages of Ahiara, an incisive piece buttressed with logic and reason, which refuted some popular but erroneous notions of tribalism and secession in Nigeria, drew a lot of hostile responses from some of my readers. They lobbed curses and hauled invectives at me. However, to me, it was all exhilarating. I relish rejoinders to my writings, be them abusive or appreciative.

One of my milder critics accused me of demonstrated dislike for Biafra and its leadership. Yes, I detest the Biafra leadership because, in its recklessness, arrogance and despotism, it brought about the death of hundreds of thousands at the glory of their youth and the starvation to death of more than one million hapless and blameless men, women and children. It dismantled the Igbo power structure, painstakingly put together over decades by the likes of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu, and Michael Okpara, and set the Igbo back by at least 100 years. Why would any Igbo not despise a leadership that brought so much, avoidable, suffering, pain and sorrow to the Igbo?

Some of my detractors argued that secession was a necessary response to the mass-murder of the Igbo in northern Nigeria. Undoubtedly, that orchestrated slaughter of the innocent for no offense of theirs but their ethnicity was unconscionable. However, it would be selective amnesia to forget that the July 29th 1966 coup and the attendant anti-Igbo riots in the North did not sprout out of a void. They were in reprisal for an earlier coup in January 1966 in which an Igbo dominated group of army officers murdered the most important Hausa/Fulani political and military leaders (Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Belewa and Zakari Miamalari) without killing any Igbo leader. And following the coup, the Igbo in the North became too celebrative; dancing and singing to a Rex Lawson song and telling their Hausa neighbors that the bleating of a goat in the song was Ahmadu Bello (the most important Hausa/Fulani leader) howling like a goat as he was being killed by Major Nzeogwu. It was the discriminatory killings and gratuitous mockery of the memory of their most important leader, amongst other reasons, that set the stage for the July 1966 anti-Igbo coup and the attendant anti-Igbo riots.

After the killings in the January and July coups and that unsurpassed butchery of Igbo civilians in northern Nigeria, there was a desperate need for peace in the country. In search of peace, the regional governors, David Ejoor, Usman Katsina, Robert Adebayo and Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, and the Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, met at Aburi in Ghana, where they agreed on and signed the Aburi Accord. The most significant aspect of the accord was constitutional: the reduction of the powers of the federal government by devolution of additional powers to regional governments. Long ago, an Igbo professor of political science at Howard University in Washington, DC told me that Yakubu Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord. To me, his statement was not only unbelievable but sacrilegious. I lost my temper at what I thought was historical revisionism taken to a nauseating extreme. The elderly professor must have understood my problem. I was suffering from a hangover of the Biafran propaganda. I was under the stupefying hold of the lies we were fed in Biafra. For he stated, “don’t worry, with time, in the course of your reading and research, you will find out that Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord”.

Years later, I found out that Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord. In his book, Power Sharing in Nigerian Federation, Chukwuemeka Nwokedi wrote that, “Apart from minor adjustments to the Aburi Accord, in other to still retain the corporate nature of Nigeria”, Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord with Decree 8; “and the regions acquired more powers than they have ever had”. That was months before the continued wrangling between Ojukwu and Gowon led to the creation of states. But did Ojukwu not declare Biafra and we marched out to war on the mantra, “On Aburi We Stand”. According to other writers, the minor adjustments Gowon made to the accord was the cancelation of two articles of the accord, which stated that any region can secede from Nigeria at will, and that the federal government can, on no account, impose a state of emergency on any region. Ojukwu’s advisers urged him to accept Decree 8 because Gowon had “gone more than far enough”. He refused.

The removal of the two articles of the accord did not in any way imperil the lives and property of the Igbo and other peoples of Eastern Region. Ojukwu’s squabbling, against the advice of his advisers, over the two articles was solely motivated by personal ambition. Following Ojukwu’s declaration of Biafra, the war inevitably started. As it raged on, it was obvious that a negotiated settlement to the war would be most advantageous to the Igbo. Ojukwu’s obsession with maintaining himself in power stalled the peace talks that would have extracted for the Igbo a number of concessions from the federal government. Despite the enormous toll of the war, especially, on human lives, he kept protecting his position and power, until it became untenable. And, as Biafra collapsed, he ran away; Biafra surrendered unconditionally.

A litany of the falsehood we were fed in Biafra is beyond the scope of this article. David Klinghoffer was right when he wrote that, “Widespread misinformation poisons a culture”. The enduring grip of these falsehoods on Igbo minds continues to poison both Igbo culture and psyche. They make us paranoid – we feel surrounded by enemies committed to our destruction, and in our suspicion of these “enemies” we see ulterior motives in every act, no matter how well-intended and benign, by other Nigerians. In addition, they make us feel like innocent victims of the evil devices of an alliance of the other Nigerian ethnic groups. And like perennial victims we refuse to take responsibilities for our actions; we find psychological refuge in blaming others, the Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, etc, for our problems.

Blaming others for your problems is gratifying but destructive; it reinforces the feeling of victimhood. The mindset that sustains a feeling of victimhood is antithetical to victory. Therefore, a victim remains a loser until he changes his mindset. For our own good, the Igbo need to change their attitude towards Nigeria and the other peoples of Nigeria. This demands rising above the misinformation of the Biafran propaganda by embracing some incontrovertible historical facts. This will enable us to realize that our problems stemmed not from the hatred and wicked machination of the Hausa, Yoruba and other ethnic groups of Nigeria, but from repeated political blunders of Igbo leaders, especially, Chukwuemeka Ojukwu.

Otherwise, our political fortune, clout and relevance will continue to decline. It has declined to a point, where a proud and resourceful people that, in their triumphalism, once boasted of dominating not only Nigeria but the whole of Africa now whimper and snivel over trivialities like a disconsolate old widow.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2017/02/06/misinformation-continues-poison-our-minds-tochukwu-ezukanma
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by nku5: 8:33pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

Still doesn't take away the fact that you are stubbornly ignorant.
It's bad enough to be ignorant of issues, arrogantly displaying such ignorance like you are doing here is utter foolishness grin

Ultimate foolishness is your middle name if you think you can chill in your favourite akara and ogi joint with your 20MB data plan and convince anybody that you know more than these men;

Adewale Ademoyega, G. Adeleke, Fola Oyewole, Lt. R. Egbiko, Lt. Tijani Katsina, O. Olafemiyan, Gibson Jalo, Swanton, Hope Harris Eghagha, Lt. Dag Warribor, 2nd Lt. Saleh Dambo, John Atom Kpera

Abeg give me your igbo dealer number grin

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by nku5: 8:44pm On Feb 12, 2017
laudate:

Alright, the coup was not a tribal matter. undecided But out of all the coup plotters from different tribes, who staged the coup, it was only the Igbo coup plotters who fired the shots that snuffed life out of the political leaders who hailed from other ethnic groups, while their own political leaders were allowed to escape. Are you happy now?? sad

I can understand your prejudice but read carefully what Ademoyega had to say about who the plotters agreed they would use lethal force on.

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 8:47pm On Feb 12, 2017
nku5:

Ultimate foolishness is your middle name if you think you can chill in your favourite akara and ogi joint with your 20MB data plan and convince anybody that you know more than these men;

Adewale Ademoyega, G. Adeleke, Fola Oyewole, Lt. R. Egbiko, Lt. Tijani Katsina, O. Olafemiyan, Gibson Jalo, Swanton, Hope Harris Eghagha, Lt. Dag Warribor, 2nd Lt. Saleh Dambo, John Atom Kpera

Abeg give me your igbo dealer number grin

Cowards you all are!!
The Northerners make no pretense about how they see the war judging by their response in July 1966 and don't hide it, only Ibos want us to think that the Jan coup has nothing to do with Igbos when the facts is clearly otherwise.
Go and convince Brig Maimalari, FFK father, Sardauna, Bello, Ademulegun and numerous people that your drunken ibo idiots brothers and murdered in cold blood

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:49pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:
Cowards you all are!!
The Northerners make no pretense about how they see the war judging by their response in July 1966 and don't hide it, only Ibos want us to think that the Jan coup has nothing to do with Igbos when the facts is clearly otherwise.
Go and convince Brig Maimalari, FFK father, Sardauna, Bello, Ademulegun and numerous people that your drunken ibo idiots brothers and murdered in cold blood

Erm... FFK's father escaped being killed during the coup. But SLA Akintola was murdered. cry

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 8:49pm On Feb 12, 2017
laudate:

Nah, everyone can see that Eledan took you and your friend to the cleaners! cool

Hmm... good point. sad The market in the South-West, helps them make money. Without it, what would happen? I don't even want to think about it.

lol

Just leave the bloody jokers to console themselves.
They are pathetic noise makers that deserve nothing but flogging like the Oba in Akure always flog their leaders in Akure

2 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 8:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
laudate:

Erm... FFK's father escaped being killed during the coup. But SLA Akintola was murdered. cry

You are right, but they subjected the man to some koboko lashes sha grin

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
nku5:
I can understand your prejudice but read carefully what Ademoyega had to say about who the plotters agreed they would use lethal force on.

Guy, what prejudice are you talking about? shocked There is a massive difference between what Ademoyega said, and what actually took place in reality, when the coup was eventually carried out. Ademoyega said that the Prime Minister and the Premiers from the 4 regions were to be arrested, but only killed if they resisted or used force. Did that happen? No! These men (with the exception of the Premier of the Eastern region who escaped,) were summarily executed! And this was done by the coup plotters of Igbo extraction. To deny this, is to attempt to rewrite history. undecided

3 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by nku5: 8:57pm On Feb 12, 2017
laudate:

Ademoyega sheds light on this. Could you shed some light on how Igbo political leaders were allowed to "escape". Where are your facts?

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 8:58pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:
You are right, but they subjected the man to some koboko lashes sha grin

Very funny. wink I actually had the privilege of meeting the man in real life a few years before he died. cheesy He was witty, urbane, charming and so full of life and had tons of knowledge. I wish he had written his biography before he died. And he had a lot of books and confidential papers relating to government matters, in the '60s and '70s. Only God knows what happened to them. sad
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Malawian(m): 9:02pm On Feb 12, 2017
MidolsStudent:
[s][/s]another one of my history twisting Yoruba Muslim coneheaded brothers on d loose grin
this your yoruba muslim brothers, dem no dey finish? dem don take style dey resemble internet boko haram
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by MidolsStudent(m): 9:12pm On Feb 12, 2017
Malawian:

this your yoruba muslim brothers, dem no dey finish? dem don take style dey resemble internet boko haram
lol grin
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by nku5: 9:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

Cowards you all are!!

Plenty of foam in your mouth and plenty of hate in your heart but no facts or sense in your head. The so called "Igbo coup" fantasy you liars and revisionists conjured is over.Your bigotry is pointless here...

The northern response you are wanking over so happily means that northerners control all the seaports in the SW and even SS (Onne). Classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face

2 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by nku5: 9:21pm On Feb 12, 2017
laudate:

Guy, what prejudice are you talking about? shocked There is a massive difference between what Ademoyega said, and what actually took place in reality, when the coup was eventually carried out. Ademoyega said that the Prime Minister and the Premiers from the 4 regions were to be arrested, but only killed if they resisted or used force. Did that happen? No! These men (with the exception of the Premier of the Eastern region who escaped,) were summarily executed! And this was done by the coup plotters of Igbo extraction. To deny this, is to attempt to rewrite history. undecided

Sardauna's security resisted and Aare Ona Kakanfo opened submachine gun fire on the plotters. Fani Kayode didnt resist and was spared. True or false?

What happened in the case of Okpara?

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 9:23pm On Feb 12, 2017
nku5:

Plenty of foam in your mouth and plenty of hate in your heart but no facts or sense in your head. The so called "Igbo coup" fantasy you liars and revisionists conjured is over.Your bigotry is pointless here...

The northern response you are wanking over so happily means that northerners control all the seaports in the SW and even SS (Onne). Classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face

Igbo greed led Nigeria into the unitary govt that the Northerners have tasted and don't want to let go!
Your Igbo coup plotters and Ironsi set Nigeria back for 100 years, and you will suffer for it by way of neglect of your homelands

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by nku5: 9:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

Igbo greed led Nigeria into the unitary govt that the Northerners have tasted and don't want to let go!
Your Igbo coup plotters and Ironsi set Nigeria back for 100 years, and you will suffer for it by way of neglect of your homelands

No facts or sense at all in your head. You cant even boast of a decent point or fact on this thread but you recite junk you cant back up.

Igbo greed? Mumu why would we spoil our own party? We were in a coalition government with the north (NPC), most of the officer cadre in the army were igbo officers, our region was stable/peaceful (unlike Western Region) and had the fastest growing economy in Nigeria.

Dont be silly Eleran grin provide facts on your "igbo coup" or get the f#&k out of here

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 9:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
nku5:
Ademoyega sheds light on this. Could you shed some light on how Igbo political leaders were allowed to "escape". Where are your facts?

Alright, you don't believe they escaped? Maybe these articles will shed more light on how Igbo political leaders such as Chief Dennis Osadebe (who was Premier of the old Midwestern region and an Igbo son), as well as Dr. Michael Iheonukara Okpara Premier of the old Eastern region, escaped death. The first excerpt is from a newspaper interview granted by Chief Mbazulike Amechi, who was First republic parliamentarian and the first post-Independence Minister of Aviation.

January 15 1966 coup: Why they called it an Igbo coupMbazulike Amechi ON JANUARY 15, 2016 8:25 AM / IN NEWS, POLITICS / VANGUARD NEWSPAPER |

ON the coup: On January 15, 1966, they struck and turned the weapons which we issued to them to defend the country, on the government and the leaders that issued the weapons to them. In the process, they killed the Prime minister of the country; they killed the premier of the West; they killed the premier of the North.

They were about to kill the premier of the East but what saved Dr Michael Okpara was that Archbishop Macarious, the president of Cyprus, was his guest that night and probably they wouldn’t want war between Cyprus and Nigeria. On the other hand they could not kill Chief Dennis Osadebey because there was no Army in Benin at the time of the coup and so Osadebey managed to escape. They also killed Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh, the Federal Minister of Finance. They also killed some members of their own group. For example, Brigadier Maimalari was innocently killed. My close friend, Colonel Arthur Unegbe was also killed. He was in charge of the Armoury and because he was reluctant to release the Armoury to them, they shot and killed him in his house.
Read more at:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/january-15-1966-coup-why-they-called-it-an-igbo-coup-mbazulike-amechi/

The Inside Story of Nigeria's First Military Coup - Part 2 By Max Siollun.

At around 2am Ifeajuna and some lieutenants left the 2nd Brigade HQ and made their way to Prime Minister Abubakar Tafewa Balewa’s residence. They overpowered (but did not kill) the police officers standing guard there, and Ifeajuna kicked down the door of the Prime Minister’s bedroom before leading him out at gunpoint. It appears that while the arrest of the Prime Minister was part of the plot, his murder may not have been and Ifeajuna and some of his co-conspirators may have exceeded their orders in killing him. In the aftermath of the coup, Nzeogwu rattled off a list of names that were on the Majors hit list. He mentioned the usual unsurprising suspects such as Bello, Azikiwe, and Akintola. Balewa’s name was conspicuously absent. Balewa was not killed until it was clear that the coup was doomed to fail. Balewa asked for, and was given time to say his prayers before he was shot by Major Ifeajuna. It was clear that not all arrested persons were to be killed. Some politicians (such as Sir Kashim Ibrahim and Michael Okpara) were arrested but released unharmed. http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS6574.htm

It was later learned that these young officers started planning a coup as early as August 1965 but on 15 January 1966 (now 51 years ago), they struck with devastating effect. They had planned to captured and execute the Prime Minister, President, the three Premiers and other top government officials, then take over the ruins of power. This seemed like the perfect plan.

On that day, in the North, Prime Minister Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and Premier Alhaji Ahmadu Bello were killed. The Premier of the western region, Chief Ladoke Akintola was also killed but Igbo officers from the East did not carry out the plan of assassination on the President, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe and Eastern Premier, Michael Okpara for reasons that were too good to be believed – that the President was out of the country.

Of all times, it was shortly before the coup that Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe miraculously left the country and escaped being killed? How about the Senate President, Chief Nwafor Orizu who was also an Igbo and in charge while the president was away? How about the eastern Premier? It was now evident that this was a clear case of sabotage. For whatever reasons, Igbo officers spared the leaders from region and that didn’t excite anyone.
http://dailypost.ng/2017/01/05/usha-anenga-january-1966-coup-lessons-benue-youths/

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 9:41pm On Feb 12, 2017
nku5:
Sardauna's security resisted and Aare Ona Kakanfo opened submachine gun fire on the plotters. Fani Kayode didnt resist and was spared. True or false?

What happened in the case of Okpara?

Guy, Sardauna's security was only performing his job, and the coup plotters ended up killing him for that, so why did they still go ahead to kill Sardauna who was unarmed and with his wives? shocked SLA Akintola engaged the coup plotters in a gun duel, and so he lost his life. But Fani-Kayode was not released or spared by the coup plotters, he escaped from them while they were opening gun fire on Akintola, and no one was paying attention to him. Read his account, it is widely circulated on the internet.

Abubakar Tafawa Balewa the late Prime Minister did not resist arrest, so why was he killed?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Launches Another Lawsuit Against The EFCC (photos) / Photos: President Buhari Visits Zamfara / Buhari Presides Over Emblem Appeal Fund Launch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.