Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? (4977 Views)

He Lost His Chance Of Getting The Job Because Of Pierced Ears / How To Increase Your Chance Of Getting Desired Job After Graduation / Strategies To Double Your Chances Of Getting A Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 5:23pm On Dec 07, 2005
Does having a certification like oracle,ccna,mcse and the likes improve your chances of getting a job. Am an oracle certified associate,in the job market now and it seems employers do not care the least bit if u were certified in planet mars. It's just my opinion! Any thoughts on this? .
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by rilla64: 7:06am On Dec 09, 2005
Hi, pk!
I think they matter if u are exactly what they are looking for.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Lasun(m): 8:38am On Dec 09, 2005
Certifications are no use without skills,many employers a wary of paper certified guys.I know of a someone who has CCNA but he is even afraid to touch a router.If you have the skills then go for the certification to back it up,that way,employers will care and respect your certificate.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 11:41am On Dec 09, 2005
@rilla 64
you might be right but thats not the whole crux of the matter.
@lasun
your right paper with skills aint worth nothing.

Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Lasun(m): 2:32pm On Dec 12, 2005
@Super
Well my certification and skills gives me a pay that takes me home,more than a Million bucks per annum is not bad.What do u think?I know I can still get more and am trying to
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 7:46pm On Dec 12, 2005
A million per annum ain't bad but most people without certifications make more than that. What I am trying to ask is "what difference does it really make?" A lot of people are making more money with just their first degree.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by madam: 3:50pm On Dec 14, 2005
Yes it does... At least i think so cos thats what got me my first Job... and now i am on my 3rd Job and smilling
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by BB(f): 1:59pm On Jan 04, 2006
thank God for this topic cos i'm havin trouble with this exact thing...i started lessons in Oracle 9i, wrote and passed the 1st module, then i just sort of lost interest in the whole thing and left it at that, but people keep on telling me to go ahead and get certified (i studied computer science),but i'm not so sure it's that relevant...the thing with the industry now is that somehow it's people with only first degree that are going places where they work! Most of the people that come with added degrees like Masters, computer certifications..etc, don't go very far...

So it's really confusing to me now..cos i'm not in a hurry to go back to school for a masters degree or for some other certification, at least not until i'm convinced it'll do good for me.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by cabali(m): 8:24pm On Jan 10, 2006
well I think the most important thing is the passion....if u do these cert. for the money it will bring, u will hit bottom but with the right passion u could even work in a low salary spot and that passion shows out tour employers and finally they will be paying to keep u from taking all the experience else where
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by otokx(m): 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2006
what certification do you have madam?
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by dejiolowe: 10:26am On Jan 13, 2006
certifications can increase ur chances under certain conditions.

but first, u need good experience/portfolio with excellent referrals. these are more important than certifications. take me for example, ain't got no certifications but i call myself expert in some areas (cf/ad/oracle) and even that, i still know much more than ppl with certifications such that i end up training some of them.

employers (including me) are scared of certifications because any donkey on the street could read and cram and pass and bingo certified! without knowing jack!
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Rottweiler(m): 10:48am On Jan 13, 2006
God has been very good to me! I have ONLY a diploma and I have been able to train all my siblings (6) to University level after my dad passed on. Certification or not, I am reckoned with in my chosen field (web design) where I work. With a salary of between 6.5M & 7M PA, who won't be happy in Naija?
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by otokx(m): 11:31am On Jan 13, 2006
please rottweiler; can u tell me the secret cos i like the type of cash ur earning.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Rottweiler(m): 12:37pm On Jan 13, 2006
Otokx,
I am based in the Niger Delta and I guess you know the best sector to work in down south - the oil industry! For your info, before you start having funny ideas - I have been working for about 6 years, real HARD. I know it's pretty tough in Naija at the moment but I wish all the young jobless/job-seeking ones the best.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by dagaro(m): 1:26pm On Jan 13, 2006
Sometimes it does.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by jtkunle(m): 4:07pm On Jan 13, 2006
I'm not very familiar with the Nigeria work force, but in most countries, your certification increaeses your chance of a better job only if you have the experience to go along with. Employers feel more comfortable knowing that you have actually worked in the field, rather than just a certification which you can study and pass. Without the work experience, it's just a matter of finding a company that is willing to give you a chance - but don't expect to make exactly what you are worth!
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:31pm On Jan 13, 2006
Rottweiler:

God has been very good to me! I have ONLY a diploma and I have been able to train all my siblings (6) to University level after my dad passed on. Certification or not, I am reckoned with in my chosen field (web design) where I work. With a salary of between 6.5M & 7M PA, who won't be happy in Naija?

My bruvva... hook me up instanta. 6.5 pa in Naija.

I am definitely interested where do you work.?
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by comechop(m): 6:44am On Jan 14, 2006
One thing you should know, is that certificates WILL NOT hinder your chances of getting a (better) job. If you can get it, go for it. It wont hurt. Its a win-win for you man. Besides, who knows what the future holds..
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Farriel(m): 4:22pm On Jan 14, 2006
I think it helps to get certified. Lots of employers out there would first want to get back to guys with certifications. Their skills are tested in the culminating interviews, tests and other means of authenticating one's abilities in the corresponding capacity of employment.

Meaning; you're certified - you have better chances of attesting your skills than if you're not. It takes nothing out of you, save the cost of writing the exams, and opens a lot more opportunities for you than remaining uncertified.

Sure, lots of certified guys out there are very dumb in their various capacities, but they are still the same folks being given chances of employment in the first place. Afterall, which employer of labour no wan boast of the amount of certified guys in his or her camp?
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by CHOCHORI(m): 5:01pm On Jan 14, 2006
Farriel kudos! certificate is important and paramount in wotever life endeavour u r engaged. its just like people saying that theres no heaven and hell and one says ok i agree with u! but be of good behaviour so that when u die,if theres no heaven and hell u aint at lost and if eventually the reverse becomes the case u will be happy to go to heaven innit?

lets draw a line here,""certificate earned is very important than certificate gotten."" so i want to rephrase the posting by ascerting that certificate earned can improve ur chances of getting job.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 5:28pm On Jan 14, 2006
I greet u guys for teaching me a thing or two.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 5:28pm On Jan 14, 2006
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 5:34pm On Jan 14, 2006
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Farriel(m): 6:06pm On Jan 14, 2006
Certainly, Chochori. And to you Super, we all acknowledge your gratitude, but three times? undecided
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 11:57pm On Jan 14, 2006
Na wao! Na so me too see am.
For we villa,once is not enough
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Ralex(m): 4:55pm On Jan 15, 2006
Thanks for this post super, I am just leaving the university and regard myself as an expert in the computer field from networking to Linux administration to Programming in VB and C++ to Database administration.

The point is that am not certified in any. I have 6 months to my NYSC and I do not know if i should pursue my certification or tackle the area where I have not attempted seriously.- web development. i recognize that the ability to deliver a job required is paramount to employees but the problem is really the combination of factors that would make them notice you @ first ... is certification one of them ?

I have not applyed for jobs yet though i have heard from my friends that during interview exams there are usually thousands of people highly qualified (@ least on paper) from 1st class to masters degree and certifications are everywhere.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 5:47pm On Jan 16, 2006
@Rolex
i would say pursue uncharted territory cos you never know where would pay off,the paper can always wait.
Employers are looking for people who hav the skills and can prove it even though they r not certified.My friend who is smiling to the bank with a fat cheque can prove it
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Super(m): 5:51pm On Jan 16, 2006
@Rolex
i would say pursue uncharted territory cos you never know where would pay off,the paper can always wait.
Employers are looking for people who hav the skills and can prove it even though they r not certified.My friend who is smiling to the bank with a fat cheque can prove it
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by madam: 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2006
@otokx  MCSD, MCDBA

@Dejiolowe well i agree with u... any jolly-monkey can write and pass the exams but u see it can also give u an edge... afterall when we were preparing 4 those exams most of us where green even in the use of a computer.... we learnt the real thing on the job... but already had the basic knowledge from book and so it made things easier...

okido

6.7 M wo that money ooh... I beg how far?
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by agwuM: 10:57pm On Jan 18, 2006
yes in my own opinion i believe that certification improves your chances of getting the job. i am presently working on my oracle administrator certification and when i am through i know the sky will be the limits cheesy.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Abusadiq(m): 2:33pm On Jan 20, 2006
Hey dear!

Certificates like that may add value to u when looking for a job, but mind you it depends on the place or industry you want to work. In some places what they want is just what can you give in term of services "Skills wise" that can make them earn the best they hope to in a given period. Some times certificates play an important roll but! what type of Cert is it?
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by fofo: 11:56am On Jan 24, 2006
Still on the issue of certification,I`m an OCP in oracle DBA but still haven`t seen any local job opening requiring the DBA skills,thought the cert. would be an edge.....Anyone with job info. can inform me.[color=#990000][/color]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will You Accept This Nanny Job For £100K (n46m) A Year? / Job Placements For Ond\hnd Holders / List Of Fake Employers Agencies In Nigeria...beware!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.