Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? (4985 Views)

He Lost His Chance Of Getting The Job Because Of Pierced Ears / How To Increase Your Chance Of Getting Desired Job After Graduation / Strategies To Double Your Chances Of Getting A Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by T2(m): 9:25pm On Jun 08, 2006
You need skills, but certification will help, no knowledge is lost. If you are jobless you might as well use your time improving your skills by getting some paper certs.

When your time comes. You will shine.

I'd rather hire someone with a certification and no skills than one with no certs AND no skills!!
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by 007(m): 10:37am On Jun 09, 2006
Hi i think the better we come out of this certification syndrome the better for all youthb out there.U can only get a job with a certificate but really work with trhe skill one posesses.Its high time we stand up and forget the issue of job seeking and rise up to Industrial Revolution,
OBICHUKWU kiss
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Hunter(m): 12:38pm On Jun 09, 2006
One thing that's very common among IT job seekers i've found is that the certificate is the real "foot in the door" kind of thing. So without it you're not even considered (reasoning being if your really as good as you say you are why haven't you gone and done the certificate)
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by kazey(m): 2:56pm On Jun 09, 2006
It gives you an edge over those that have equal qualifications.
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by saintchux(m): 6:44pm On Jun 09, 2006
Cetification! I love it, I have alot of it, about four of them, but the truth of the matter is that none of it has raise my pay. I have come to think about it, but am not disturbed because I know that Nigeria is lagging behind IT wise.

For your information, am working in a new generation bank that is strong in IT, but getting certified does not earn you promotion. It is for your private consumption. What they want from you is for their system to be up and running 24hrs, certification or not.

I encourage people who want to venture in certification to take heart and do it not because of immediate gain, but with hope that Nigeria may be a gaint in IT in future. One of my colleague just resign and went to london and his weekly pay is more than his one month pay while his here.

I invest alot in IT certification that hardly do three months pass without I taking any exam. I encourage anyone to take it, get the experinece, after all is only those with certificate and also experience that will be employed. so take heart and do it
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by dokey2g(m): 8:16pm On Jun 09, 2006
l'm happy this issue is brought on this forum b/cos am about to take CCNA certification exam.

Although l'm working now but l hope it gives me good chances of getting a better job cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

u guys out there are really encouraging me. !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to u all
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Hunter(m): 6:58am On Jun 10, 2006
I know that there are a few others on the site that also have CCNA (i got mine a while back) so you can get some assistence (so long as it's not just like whats all the answers to the exam tongue)
Re: Do Certifications Really Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job? by Bibi(m): 9:35am On Jun 10, 2006
Certification is good for securing a good job and also for career growth. However you need to have the right certification to match the employer needs if you are looking for a Job. If I need a Cisco certified Engineer, I wont bother looking at the CV of an Oracle guy.

Let me stress a little more: Certification + Experience gives you a better edge. Depending on employer, demonstration of either or both is required. The problem I see in nigeria is a lot of people with paali, hence the ones with a bit more experience always have the advantage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mikano International Limited Vacancy / How Much Nnpc Pays To Entry Level And Experience Hire / 2017 Standard Chartered Bank Internship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.