Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,344 members, 7,843,016 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo (1218 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Of Capital Oil Has Offered To Be Nnamdi Kanu’s Surety / Buhari Orders Return Of Egbesu Sword For Niger-Delta Peace / Nigeria Must Be Prepared For Future Where Oil Has Little Value,osinbajo Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2017
Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja

The Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo on Friday regretted that oil has become a curse or burden to communities in the oil-rich Niger Delta region.

He said this was despite that over 50% of the nation’s non-oil revenues was determined by oil.

Osinbajo said this at a town hall meeting he had with stakeholders in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State in continuation of the Federal Government’s consultation with oil-producing communities in the country.

A copy of his speech was made available to journalists in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande.

Osinbajo recalled that it was in Oloibiri in the state that the history of oil exploration in Nigeria began and source of the nation’s wealth was discovered.

He noted that oil became the source of 70% of our national earnings and 90% of our foreign exchange earnings.

He said, “Over 50% of non-oil revenues is determined by oil revenues. But for the people of historic Oloibiri and the many oil-producing communities in this state and the Delta region of Nigeria, the blessing of oil paradoxically became a curse or at best a burden.

“Their means of livelihood, fishing and farming has consistently been destroyed by pollution.

“Worse still, huge resources earned over the years have simply disappeared.

“The roads, schools, hospitals and social amenities that the oil wealth should have provided are either not there or are patently inadequate.

“The majority of people of these communities and several parts of the oil-producing states have heard of the wealth that oil has brought but have hardly benefited from it.”

Osinbajo said he was in the state on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari  to propose a new vision and to signpost a new era to the people of the oil-producing communities.

http://punchng.com/oil-become-curse-burden-niger-delta-osinbajo/
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2017
That's why I see our former president as a failure

He missed the golden opportunity to shine and to bring

Succor to the masses of Niger Delta

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by gurunlocker: 9:18pm On Feb 10, 2017
But it's a blessing to other region and looters?
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by gurunlocker: 9:20pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

What has Buhari done for the region in the last two years?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 9:22pm On Feb 10, 2017
gurunlocker:

Ogoni clean up

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 9:24pm On Feb 10, 2017
gurunlocker:
But it's a blessing to other region and looters?

Try and understand him

Their means of livelihood, fishing and farming has consistently been destroyed by pollution.

“The roads, schools, hospitals and social amenities that the oil wealth should have provided are either not there or are patently inadequate.

“The majority of people of these communities and several parts of the oil-producing states have heard of the wealth that oil has brought but have hardly benefited from it.”
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by gurunlocker: 9:25pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

Ogoni clean up
For real? what have you heard about it after the flag off?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by Jaymaxxy(m): 9:25pm On Feb 10, 2017
Oil is actually a curse to the entire country
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by fistonati(m): 9:28pm On Feb 10, 2017
I think its true but its meaningless if this government didn't correct past mistakes on that region
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by Baawaa(m): 9:32pm On Feb 10, 2017
gurunlocker:

Not last two years,but last ten years grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 9:35pm On Feb 10, 2017
fistonati:
I think its true but its meaningless if this government didn't correct past mistakes on that region

I totally agree with you
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by Blue3k(m): 9:39pm On Feb 10, 2017
Hiss sfx what utter garbage this guy is speaking with a bunch of half baked premises all to form nonsense arguements. The oil benefited the country and commuity fact. There's no denying it. How can adults say some inanimate object is the reason you didn't develope is just an excuse not to look in mirror. Let's not review policies let's blame oil production that brought billions into economy.

“Their means of livelihood, fishing and farming has consistently been destroyed by pollution."

Pollution destroyed commuity because nobody enforced standards with Nigeria. They didn't fine and make polluters pay damages to commuity. It's weird Nigerians went to UK courts to get justice for crimes committed in Nigeria by shell.

Disappeared into bank accounts, Elephant projects, years of mismanagement and other sorts curruption.

State government chose to do nothing positive. They do census and see what means to be done. State assembly acts like trained seals for any whim of governor.

I would argue it has benefits of increasing economic development due to ancillary industries and wealth being brought into town. Then other business grow up around it.

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by drss2(m): 9:47pm On Feb 10, 2017
in sane climes wia tins work, states or regions have tatal control ova all natural resources found within their domain, but in dis cess-pit wia wickedness is d way of life, states ar powerless ova their own God given resources. is dis not an anomally a con3 operating on a parasitic almajiri economy will NEVER develop!
d most cheated region in dis scam arrangement call nigeria in d whole of africa is niger-delta.

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 9:53pm On Feb 10, 2017
drss2:
d most cheated region in dis scam arrangement call nigeria in d whole of africa is niger-delta.

Jonathan had the opportunity he blew it
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by adonis89(m): 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

it's like there are no good brains in ur family cuz u must b demented to b typing all sorts of rubbish
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by 989900: 9:58pm On Feb 10, 2017
Oloibiri is not the first place oil was discovered in Nigeria, rather, Araromi, Ondo state, in 1908..
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by drss2(m): 9:58pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

Jonathan had the opportunity he blew it
so is buari recession dulard.

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by kernel501: 10:38pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

You see why I refer to Buhari as a failure, he took Nigeria back to back recession on two different occasions without recourse.

Yet North can only boost of highest illiteracy rate in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by kernel501: 10:41pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

Ogoni clean up
Don't be stupid, 1% clean up haven't even started after noise.
Am not a fan of Jonathan, but Buhari is synonymous to failure.

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 10:43pm On Feb 10, 2017
kernel501:

Don't be stupid, 1% clean up haven't even started after noise.

Am not a fan of Jonathan, but Buhari is synonymous to failure.

Must you insult before making your points

Whof asked you of being a fan of Gej or not?

Why hiding your identity?

You exhibit the attitude of a wailing wailer by denying the obvious facts
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by kernel501: 10:58pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

Must you insult before making your points

Whof asked you of being a fan of Gej or not?

Why hiding your identity?

You exhibit the attitude of a wailing wailer by denying the obvious facts

I've never voted before in Nigeria, because it will take lots of lies to deceive one's self that any of the candidate can savage Nigeria.

Buhari has always been an illiterate, full of vendetta and hates. I wasn't surprise seeing him take Nigeria 40 years backward, halfing the fortune of Nigerians with his lack of economic direction.
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by ZombieKilla: 11:17pm On Feb 10, 2017
sarrki:

Keep calling jona till 2019
You know he is the president

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 5:33am On Feb 11, 2017
ZombieKilla:

Keep calling jona till 2019
You know he is the president

I will always call him he's my former president
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:03am On Feb 11, 2017
sarrki:

Ogoni clean up

are you for real or your brain has started paining you again?

1 Like

Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 6:07am On Feb 11, 2017
Boleyndynasty2:
are you for real or your brain has started paining you again?

Not at all

A journey of a thousand miles start with a step

The son of the soil I mean the bowler hat man did not do

Anything.

Ogbia people are complaining of water the other day
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:12am On Feb 11, 2017
sarrki:

Not at all

A journey of a thousand miles start with a step

The son of the soil I mean the bowler hat man did not do

Anything.

Ogbia people are complaining of water the other day

my dear its the same thing, its better you don't make promises at all than make a promise and not fulfill it or keep to your own end of the bargain
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by Joejonah(m): 6:14am On Feb 11, 2017
APC has become a burden and curse to Nigeria.
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 10:55am On Feb 11, 2017
Joejonah:
APC has become a burden and curse to Nigeria.

Hmmm
Re: Oil Has Become Curse, Burden For Niger Delta -osinbajo by sarrki(m): 10:56am On Feb 11, 2017
Boleyndynasty2:
my dear its the same thing, its better you don't make promises at all than make a promise and not fulfill it or keep to your own end of the bargain

This year baba and osinbajo will be firing from all the cylinders

Wait and see

(1) (Reply)

Is Dolapo Osinbanjo Now The Acting First Lady? / NAIJA NEWSPAPERS: Today's The Vanguard Newspaper Headlines [1 July, 2017]. / Read full interview with Dino melaye, as Dino reveals all

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.