Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,961 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. (9714 Views)

Nigerian Programmers Are Great / Why Are Nigerian Programmers Not Interested In Game Design / A Call To Nigerian Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 10:20am On Feb 11, 2017
I am not a programmer, I know.. But I know that there are lots of intelligent Nigerians everywhere that are good in writing codes and creating good softwares and mobile apps..
Now, is the time we put their skills to good use..
Let us come together and do something spectacular..

If our leaders wouldn't to do the right thing, we Nigerians can put them aside and show them the way forward..
To that effect, I would like to make a suggestion here.

I would like the Nigerian Programmers to come together and conduct a competition that would require the participating competitors to create hack-proof computer softwares and mobile apps that could be strong and viable enough to be used for conducting highly sensitive online elections.

Let the competition be widely publicized; and also, let all the apps and softwares that were used (or produced) in the competition be made available to the general public for testing in their various private polls and choice-making (and for public review too)..
If this is done, the government of the day would start thinking towards adopting electronic voting for once, and at the same time, make plans towards adopting these Nigerian-made softwares and apps rather than considering importation of the softwares..
In this modern era,, paper counting and recounting is absolutely outdated and archaic.. The importance and advantages of electronic voting are too numerous to mention

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by said1995: 10:28am On Feb 12, 2017
Wow, that is a nice idea
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
i think,i have to learn programming,na my calling be that
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 9:50am On Feb 13, 2017
Lalasticlala,, it would be nice if more Nigerian programmers see this. Lalasticlala ooo
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by lekropasky(m): 11:35am On Feb 13, 2017
This might lead to something. Let em move it to FP.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by 4dor: 4:11pm On Feb 13, 2017
Nice idea but there's nothing like hack proof, also this is a tricky venture, if your app makes people at the top uncomfortable, the DSS will be at your door soon. If you guys are serious, you have my support.

This case is a proof of why it's a dangerous venture

https://www.nairaland.com/642662/sss-release-becky-omowaiye-now

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by bet9ja(m): 9:42am On Feb 15, 2017
I believe we can achieve this. We can make it an open source project.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by 0luwatope(m): 6:57pm On Feb 15, 2017
only Few programmers are on nairaland, the rest are just "i have an idea" kinda people. Op, you are talking about a platform where voting will be conducted without duplicate accounts, 100% accurate codes, well structured DB, security firewall, nice UI, user authentication and lots more. To get this, you'll need heads of geeks and not just a single programmer. If i will ever participate in this, it will first be for a poll like MR nairaland or Best nairaland diary of the year kinda app. Abeg i no fit come spend months on one elephant project like that. I rest my case. xw

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 10:26pm On Feb 16, 2017
4dor:
Nice idea but there's nothing like hack proof, also this is a tricky venture, if your app makes people at the top uncomfortable, the DSS will be at your door soon. If you guys are serious, you have my support.
The idea is this.....
Let there be such a competition first that is being privately organised for interested programmers across the nation (by a notable IT firm), and let it be widely publicized..
Then, no politician or political entity can publicly go against such a move because:
1.. It is a private competition geared at human and ICT development,, and at the same time, potentially beneficial in the public decision making of the citizens, and the government.
2.. Any person or group of persons that ever thought of going against the competition would rather choose to go privately and meet the organisers with fat juicy bargains, because they would be in the bad book of Nigerians if they dared to go public with their moves.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 10:54pm On Feb 16, 2017
0luwatope:
only Few programmers are on nairaland, the rest are just "i have an idea" kinda people. Op, you are talking about a platform where voting will be conducted without duplicate accounts, 100% accurate codes, well structured DB, security firewall, nice UI, user authentication and lots more. To get this, you'll need heads of geeks and not just a single programmer. If i will ever participate in this, it will first be for a poll like MR nairaland or Best nairaland diary of the year kinda app. Abeg i no fit come spend months on one elephant project like that. I rest my case. xw
You know, the geeks in America developed their election gadgets, and they were put to good use.
But here in Nigeria, INEC had already ruled out electronic voting for 2019.
Reasons being that it would be too expensive, and that there are no provisions for it in the constitution..
So, let Nigerian geeks come up with something good and downloadable (so that there won't be need for procuring new factory-made customised computers or gadgets just for the elections, after which the gadgets become useless forever)
With full biometric capturing and other security measures.
It is NOT necessary for it to be released to the public domain, but let it be a program that can comfortably do all the functions of capturing of numerous voters without data clogging, accurate verification of all captured voters, nullification of multiple votes by a single voter (or accepting only the first recorded vote by the errant voter), sorting and analysing the votes as they were being cast, collating votes from the voting softwares or apps (that is, for the collation softwares or apps).
Now,, it is clear that the job is for teams.
One programmer cannot do it alone.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:10am On Feb 17, 2017
If you crowd source it by making this an open source project rather than a privatized project, then you would likely see more activity.

That aside, I am not quite sure this would be a viable idea for an actual election, but it would be an excellent tool for determining who actually won the popular vote.

The application can be designed to function as a website and a mobile app. Users must be authenticated before proceeding. The app and site can both be developed to render all active sessions null and void if multiple devices are attempting the same user authentication. The final thing I would add to this is that even upon logging in, all users are simply met with a countdown clock and no form inputs. The countdown clock will countdown until the the polls open. It is only once the polls have opened that the site and mobile app will display form inputs for voting.

Something will need to be done though to ensure that the votes captured through the application are indeed representative. Many people have access to web and mobile apps, but not all of them can actually vote. The applications purpose would be rendered useless if a 12 year old can manage to place a vote of their own.

This project is not impossible, but it will be difficult. So long as it is not treated as an official means to vote, then it should be good. As I said, it would serve better as a way of capturing the actual, popular vote, i.e. the voice of the people.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by 0luwatope(m): 9:52am On Feb 17, 2017
I know this project is very possible but remember we are all Nigerians afterall, i did something like this for Nacoss in my skul, i took me time to finish this, let me break down what i did.

Authentication: i actually registered all computer science student all by myself (matrci number and surname), s6o there was no registration button at all, after that, rugged student start stealing id cards of comp sci student so that they can just login with surname and matric no, that was how i implemented an sms api that will send you a verification code to ur phone number to be used on an encrypted page but voting may still continue and if you don't use that verification code in a minute or two, account we opened will self destruct and vote will be reversed. Afther that, students who know that user1 will vote for their opponent, they will login to user1 account to self destroy it. Mehn, my eyes saw hell dat day as the developer of the software, buh i thank God, it waz a success. so considering INEC software, bleaap!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 10:11am On Feb 17, 2017
ChinenyeN:
If you crowd source it by making this an open source project rather than a privatized project, then you would likely see more activity.

That aside, I am not quite sure this would be a viable idea for an actual election, but it would be an excellent tool for determining who actually won the popular vote.

The application can be designed to function as a website and a mobile app. Users must be authenticated before proceeding. The app and site can both be developed to render all active sessions null and void if multiple devices are attempting the same user authentication. The final thing I would add to this is that even upon logging in, all users are simply met with a countdown clock and no form inputs. The countdown clock will countdown until the the polls open. It is only once the polls have opened that the site and mobile app will display form inputs for voting.

Something will need to be done though to ensure that the votes captured through the application are indeed representative. Many people have access to web and mobile apps, but not all of them can actually vote. The applications purpose would be rendered useless if a 12 year old can manage to place a vote of their own.

This project is not impossible, but it will be difficult. So long as it is not treated as an official means to vote, then it should be good. As I said, it would serve better as a way of capturing the actual, popular vote, i.e. the voice of the people.
Woowww.!!
For sure, it is not impossible, but it would be very difficult.
Misappropriations can be reduced by first capturing the voters accurately. (If the biometric data of the voters that were captured during the voters registration exercise were accurate enough, then, it can be loaded in the database).
Then, the voters must verify and authenticate their identities by using biometric devices., and finally, the vote must be cast and closed after each verification.
Thus, each voting process involves verification of the voter, presentation of the voting page to the voter, the voter being given 60-seconds to cast his vote (after which it becomes void), closing down of the voting page after the vote is cast (no opportunity for corrections).. The next voter would go through all the same process of instant verification and voting., and so on.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by sellyjeffery: 10:14pm On May 06, 2017
Its a great idea . Am in year2 uniport,don't know much yet but i think the programmers,problem solvers,analytical thinkers should take it as a written project first and paper down their subprograms,modules and algorithm.

With these we can get a better view of these.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Sync201(m): 9:26pm On May 07, 2017
tk4rd:
You know, the geeks in America developed their election gadgets, and they were put to good use.
But here in Nigeria, INEC had already ruled out electronic voting for 2019.
Reasons being that it would be too expensive, and that there are no provisions for it in the constitution..
So, let Nigerian geeks come up with something good and downloadable (so that there won't be need for procuring new factory-made customised computers or gadgets just for the elections, after which the gadgets become useless forever)
With full biometric capturing and other security measures.
It is NOT necessary for it to be released to the public domain, but let it be a program that can comfortably do all the functions of capturing of numerous voters without data clogging, accurate verification of all captured voters, nullification of multiple votes by a single voter (or accepting only the first recorded vote by the errant voter), sorting and analysing the votes as they were being cast, collating votes from the voting softwares or apps (that is, for the collation softwares or apps).
Now,, it is clear that the job is for teams.
One programmer cannot do it alone.
Yeah..one programmer can't handle all
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 6:46am On May 08, 2017
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by cbrass(m): 9:02am On May 08, 2017
To what end if I may ask? undecided
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Alisegun(m): 9:15am On May 08, 2017
Booked
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by three: 9:15am On May 08, 2017
Let's disrupt dis thing na!
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by smartty68(m): 9:15am On May 08, 2017
Impressive! But forget this government because the same programmers would be paid and used to rig elections electronically.

In Nigeria, we're all afraid of ourselves.

BMC crew is an example.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by abumeinben(m): 9:16am On May 08, 2017
smiley

So you mean all the mohammadus, shewu, shekarau, dankwadi and sorts would have to leave their cherished 4-sim chinko phones for smart phones and laptops?

You want to confuse them?

For me, you have my full support.

Lemme start Pythoning

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Mr2kay3: 9:17am On May 08, 2017
Good day guys
Build your professional sites today at a nice budget.Contact in the signature

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by idris4r83(m): 9:18am On May 08, 2017
Rigging of election will now be the handwork of Nigeria programmers and some smart YY boiz.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by jayriginal: 9:19am On May 08, 2017
Many Nigerians are corruption prone and would sell the the source code to the highest bidder or implement some kind of backdoor into the program.

How do you circumvent this?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 9:20am On May 08, 2017
Yes.. let us start the NSA=NIGERIAN SCAMMERS ASSOCIATION NPA= Nigerian programmers Association.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by ekensi01: 9:21am On May 08, 2017
Ha ha ha ha............. Am laughting because you channel your problem to the wrong place. Keep your dream may be one day it would be a reality. Talk to NTA grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Franzinni: 9:22am On May 08, 2017
I don't want to sound crude.

But in Nigeria everything is for sale to the highest bidder

The programmer that wins will be cornered by a political party and be made to hack the same software he built.... See you..

I am not even a politician and I have already kept 1 billion dollars in my head to bribe the programmer... Imagine what a party like PDP.. Or APC.. Will do..

Good idea.... Bros. But Nigeria is a different beast entirely

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Qudbell(m): 9:22am On May 08, 2017
Theres always gonna b a bastard, maybe two, amongst d programmers to exploit the loophole because of money

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by bnanzip(m): 9:23am On May 08, 2017
Exactly what I had in mind to do when I become a President, but some people were criticizing me. I never knew someone had the same thinking. Kudos Op.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by photoshoot(m): 9:23am On May 08, 2017
Impressive...
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by jamex93(m): 9:26am On May 08, 2017
nice idea

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Xvideoservicethief? / How Do I Write Sql Statemen That Can Cast String To Double / How To Change IP Address On Android Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.