Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,209 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. (9709 Views)

Nigerian Programmers Are Great / Why Are Nigerian Programmers Not Interested In Game Design / A Call To Nigerian Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Factfinder1(m): 9:27am On May 08, 2017
Saraki, dino milaye, buhari and el rufai would rather die than allow this to happen
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by OgidiOlu3(m): 9:27am On May 08, 2017
It's not bad. The only problem is still corruption. It's the same programmers that built it that will still rig the election. Nothing like a hack-proof or perfect app.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by ayobase(m): 9:30am On May 08, 2017
tk4rd:
I am not a programmer, I know.. But I know that there are lots of intelligent Nigerians everywhere that are good in writing codes and creating good softwares and mobile apps..
Now, is the time we put their skills to good use..
Let us come together and do something spectacular..

If our leaders wouldn't to do the right thing, we Nigerians can put them aside and show them the way forward..
To that effect, I would like to make a suggestion here.

I would like the Nigerian Programmers to come together and conduct a competition that would require the participating competitors to create hack-proof computer softwares and mobile apps that could be strong and viable enough to be used for conducting highly sensitive online elections.

Let the competition be widely publicized; and also, let all the apps and softwares that were used (or produced) in the competition be made available to the general public for testing in their various private polls and choice-making (and for public review too)..
If this is done, the government of the day would start thinking towards adopting electronic voting for once, and at the same time, make plans towards adopting these Nigerian-made softwares and apps rather than considering importation of the softwares..
In this modern era,, paper counting and recounting is absolutely outdated and archaic.. The importance and advantages of electronic voting are too numerous to mention

thought of this months ago, but the app won't be limited to Nigerians only.

We wouldn't want the outsiders deciding for us, unless there is a way to block IP addresses out Nigeria. And one vote per IP address to avert rigging.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by sellyjeffery: 9:30am On May 08, 2017
When developing an application like these,you don't use it for the whole nigeria election,try it first with a particular state and if it was successful,the president might buy the idea.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Margy: 9:32am On May 08, 2017
This can work, all the programmers need do is to link the app to INEC database, this will keep eligibility in check, and for those who think they can cut corners.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 9:32am On May 08, 2017
How I wish INEC could understand the role of programmers and GIS analyst in achieving standard nd well organised Election

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Momentjs: 9:53am On May 08, 2017
lekropasky:
This might lead to something. Let em move it to FP.

I wrote something similar for my department.

https://www.nairaland.com/3064476/just-completed-android-e-voting-app

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by thunderbabs: 9:55am On May 08, 2017
Twist: what's it gonna look like when hackers starts to hack emails of our politicians...I wonder if they will find anything.....doubt if they use emails regularly as a means of comm...

Trump & Russians, over to you
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by TechRex(m): 9:57am On May 08, 2017
You really got me in one phrase......"Hack Proof", there is nofin like "Hack proof software/code", all software is breakable, it just takes time

Nice Post......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by miketayo(m): 10:03am On May 08, 2017
tk4rd:
I am not a programmer, I know.. But I know that there are lots of intelligent Nigerians everywhere that are good in writing codes and creating good softwares and mobile apps..

If our leaders wouldn't to do the right thing, we Nigerians can put them aside and show them the way forward..

I would like the Nigerian Programmers to come together and conduct a competition that would require the participating competitors to create hack-proof computer softwares and mobile apps that could be strong and viable enough to be used for conducting highly sensitive online elections.

Let the competition be widely publicized; and also, let all the apps and softwares that were used (or produced) in the competition be made available to the general public for testing in their various private polls and choice-making (and for public review too)..
If this is done, the government of the day would start thinking towards adopting electronic voting for once, and at the same time, make plans towards adopting these Nigerian-made softwares and apps rather than considering importation of the softwares..
In this modern era,, paper counting and recounting is absolutely outdated and archaic.. The importance and advantages of electronic voting are too numerous to mention

of cousre this is a gud idea.. i suggested this even made a prototype before Jona's election.. and presented it to some politicians in d House of assembly, they were like ok we ll look in to it.. 2 elections has passed till now, yet nothing
Then i realized the politicians will never agree to it because they all prefer rigging elections..Even if they accept they ll go back to the same programmers to tamper with the results

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 10:05am On May 08, 2017
Nigeria electorates are scared of dying for somethings, yet are good at dying for nothing like destinies killers politicians and useless oldest people in government and stupid political parties names.

French 39 year old has proven that 30-40 year old Nigerians can look stinking corrupt destinies killers brainless and visionsless politicians in the eyes and tell them to get out of their positions.

People like P square and co can stage a very vibrant campaigns for 2019 presidential elections against APC and PDP as independent candidates both on/off lines.

How much is a presidential form that they can't purchase

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by rayval(m): 10:05am On May 08, 2017
0luwatope:
I know this project is very possible but remember we are all Nigerians afterall, i did something like this for Nacoss in my skul, i took me time to finish this, let me break down what i did.

Authentication: i actually registered all computer science student all by myself (matrci number and surname), s6o there was no registration button at all, after that, rugged student start stealing id cards of comp sci student so that they can just login with surname and matric no, that was how i implemented an sms api that will send you a verification code to ur phone number to be used on an encrypted page but voting may still continue and if you don't use that verification code in a minute or two, account we opened will self destruct and vote will be reversed. Afther that, students who know that user1 will vote for their opponent, they will login to user1 account to self destroy it. Mehn, my eyes saw hell dat day as the developer of the software, buh i thank God, it waz a success. so considering INEC software, bleaap!

because your app failed doesn't mean every one would. trust me, the only person who can jeopardize apps like this are people who built it. meanwhile, the app you built wasn't well designed. if it was, you won't have users messing with security like that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by taosola(m): 10:08am On May 08, 2017
It is a good and welcome idea. But I think we need to look into another area which can negate this efforts if finally the outcome is accepted by our government to use for the next election. How can we make sure that politicians don't buy all these Programmers for thier own self interest and bastardize the whole proccess?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tolekes(m): 10:08am On May 08, 2017
tk4rd:

[color=#006600][/color]this is a good suggestion but the question is how are those in remote locations going to participate owing to the fact that Internet access is still limited and literacy level is still low..

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by LionDeLeo: 10:10am On May 08, 2017
tk4rd:

The problem is not about developing a customised application (software) for whatever purpose, it actually lies in the willingness of the relevant stakeholders to apply it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Miscellaneous(m): 10:26am On May 08, 2017
Qudbell:
Theres always gonna b a bastard, maybe two, amongst d programmers to exploit the loophole because of money

Lol.... Me for instance. Kidding.... This can be taken care of by technical review by up to four separate firms. It won't be a problem really....

The whole task isn't difficult to attain. If I were to partake in this, I would be for the web app. A nice idea but, it needs more support

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by ladiadeniran(m): 10:30am On May 08, 2017
I would love to be a part of the movement.
I am currently a fellow at Andela and I can lend
my programming skills to our cause of seeing a better Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 10:37am On May 08, 2017
0luwatope:
I know this project is very possible but remember we are all Nigerians afterall, i did something like this for Nacoss in my skul, i took me time to finish this, let me break down what i did.

Authentication: i actually registered all computer science student all by myself (matrci number and surname), s6o there was no registration button at all, after that, rugged student start stealing id cards of comp sci student so that they can just login with surname and matric no, that was how i implemented an sms api that will send you a verification code to ur phone number to be used on an encrypted page but voting may still continue and if you don't use that verification code in a minute or two, account we opened will self destruct and vote will be reversed. Afther that, students who know that user1 will vote for their opponent, they will login to user1 account to self destroy it. Mehn, my eyes saw hell dat day
LOL. No application is hack proof. Even Google was hacked.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by philybuck(m): 11:13am On May 08, 2017
My brother the problem is not building the app or software, remember every and all application can be hacked. the issue is have legislation that will support electronic/online voting system. I designed an electronic voting system as my final year project back in 2012 and my research showed that online or electronic voting will be the best for any country if we have a proper bio metric database, I can assure you Nigeria will not have that for the next 20 years because there are elements within the government that frustrate the registration and capture process because of there selfish interest. Common card readers that was supposed to make accreditation easier could not be implemented in the last election let alone having a unified voters database that can be used anywhere in the country. I think best we can do right now is to be involved in the grassroot politics and stop the old fools from choosing leaders for us. We need to be more vocal and ask our leaders questions. We seem very comfortable and ready to adapt to any situation they push us into.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by rkennyking(m): 11:32am On May 08, 2017
Hello house
from my experience, with the state our social management database is in this country, the best result value we can attain will only be a very far from fact estimate, but with modelling it perfectly we can remove all variables and focus on a rather major determinant and get a true value that can be a sample for the population. this is a suggestion base on the fact that its close to impossible to get a good value of the actual population
Please improvement on this suggestion is welcomed
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 08, 2017
If you want "hack proof" then you need to forget any online connection.
Everything is hackable.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Erotik(m): 12:51pm On May 08, 2017
Good one
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Erotik(m): 12:51pm On May 08, 2017
It is really a great Idea. They could use National Identity Number as a primary key for voting.

You will need just your NIN to log in and vote.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 08, 2017
America, China, Russia, Iran, Saudi arabia and many other countries would hack it and they would be the ones deciding the votes. If you don't want your system to be hackable then you need to have the assistance of not only computer scientists but mathematicians who would do research to get an encrypting system ahead of our time. But I bet you some of the team members would sell the secrets of the encrypting system anyway.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 2:36pm On May 08, 2017
jayriginal:
Many Nigerians are corruption prone and would sell the the source code to the highest bidder or implement some kind of backdoor into the program.

How do you circumvent this?
I am being made to understand (by this very comment) that the corruption in Nigeria is more from the citizens, and not just the so called "corrupt leaders"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by tk4rd: 2:38pm On May 08, 2017
Franzinni:
I don't want to sound crude.

But in Nigeria everything is for sale to the highest bidder

The programmer that wins will be cornered by a political party and be made to hack the same software he built.... See you..

I am not even a politician and I have already kept 1 billion dollars in my head to bribe the programmer... Imagine what a party like PDP.. Or APC.. Will do..

Good idea.... Bros. But Nigeria is a different beast entirely
I YAFF WEAK
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 3:03pm On May 08, 2017
tk4rd:
I YAFF WEAK
Even the paper ballot is being hacked
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 08, 2017
I am ready to write the codes for a fee of 1 symbolic naira.
Those who want to bribe me to favour them in the elections will have to pay 5 million dollars, the first payer gets the service and I won't tell you if someone has already payed before you pay, I will only judge once everybody has given me 5 million dollars.
Can we start the contract ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 08, 2017
Come on FG, I am asking for just 1 naira for the for me to make the code.
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 08, 2017
could someone start a thread on category theory ?
Re: Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. by hothead(m): 3:47pm On May 08, 2017
Following

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Xvideoservicethief? / How Do I Write Sql Statemen That Can Cast String To Double / How To Change IP Address On Android Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.