Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,303 members, 7,864,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:31 PM

Why Church Universities Are Expensive - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Church Universities Are Expensive (24510 Views)

Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) / Outrageous School Fees Paid By Church Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by princejenks(m): 12:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
DrayZee:

Do you know that your idea promotes discrimination. You're saying members of a church should pay lower than those outside. Why?
So someone can just change church just because he wants to get lower fees. Please don't go there. That idea is flawed. So even children who don't really care about their education should be pumped into the University just because they attend a particular church. When the standard of the school falls, it's still you people that will point fingers.
It is enough that scholarships are given to members. Anything aside that is outright criminality.
The same goes to your idea of Catholic private universities.

Now to your more salient points. Webometrics isn't just based on IT compliance. But let me not go there. You said private universities are not in the top 1000 in the world. How many public Universities are in the top 1000? None. Not even UI. So that is not really a point for argument.
According to their latest rankings, UI is first in Nigeria, Covenant second. That shows you how far Covenant has come throughout the years.

The truth of the matter is that your only problem with private universities is their fees, and the truth remains that no private university can be run without adequate funding. You will not find any private university anywhere in the world that is cheap (except the standard is low).
In the US, people save money which they call a college fund to be able to send their children to good schools, some of which are privately run. But here in Nigeria, no saving, you just send them to a school with 30k per semester. The problem is that the schools are not properly funded.
You pay more for quality.
pls, do indigenes and non indigenes pay the same fees in state universities? Each church have their criteria of vetting who is a member and who isn't,so changing churches for that purpose shouldn't distract from the main issue here which is high tuition. I never said it's compulsory for each member to send their wards to schools being run by their churches but their membership should be reflected in the tuition they'd be made to pay if they sent them there,the scholarship thing is like a drop in the pack for now. Google is your best friend on webometrics but I still stand on my point that in spite of the much noise they make about investing billions in infrastructure and teaching aids,they have only fared slightly better than government run institutions in spite of the exorbitant tuition they are charging,it calls to question the value they are really adding to our educational system.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
But this is not how Catholic ran churches way back then.....its too expensive...well na dem sabi
How much is caritas and veritas university owned by catholic... also carry out your research on catholic owned uni worldwide

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
PietraK:
This writer is playing on our intelligence.

Tithe, offering and donations are all in the same category. They are God's money not meant for business but propagation of the gospel of Christ, keeping the house of God and taking care of the needy.

Why should people keep up donation for University projects when the church is charging huge fees. Make it affordable for the common man and see if God will not open the windows of heaven to provide for the cause.

Our mega church Pastors have failed to learn from the Bible they carry and preach.

Mathew chapter 25 has shown us the fate of our so called righteous Pastors and Men of God.

Let us consider what the bible says in Mathew 25: 37 - 46.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Our so called MOGs are not targeting the[b] least of these[/b]. They are not making education available and affordable for the least of these : the poor.

They benefitted from the tithe, offerings and donations made available by missionaries for schools and hospitals. Yet, when it is their own turn to make impact on the next generation which the poor makes the bulk, they have refused to educate the least of these.

The Writer has failed in his attempt to manipulate our thinking.

If church business is not lucrative enough to make educatoon affordable for the poor, Why is it lucrative enough to manage 2 - 5 private jets?

He says expensive universities isnt unique to church universities.... Should churches operate on the same wavelenght with profit making institutions?

Where he failed totally is his submission that thr purpose of setting up private universities is spiritual. He called it Spiritual revolution.

No it is not. This is a greedy revolution.
Even if u bring it down to 100k it would still be unaffordable to some. Do you know even our govt is struggling to fund their own unis. If churches run free education it would be sacrificing quality on the alter of affordability, which for some churches is not an option
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2017
frosbel2:
Nonsense, if all these wishy washy pentecostal churches cannot provide free or subsidized education for all their members, they should shut up and close down. How can only the rich members of a church be able to attend the universities built on the sweat of most church members ?? And the so called church still tries to justify this obvious class divide and then pretend to be following Christ ??

Remember Anglican and Catholic church schools were affordable by all and produced some of the best standards of educations for decades - they hardly charged any schools fees.
How much is caritas and veritas university owned by catholic... also carry out your research on catholic owned uni worldwide
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2017
DrayZee:

Hmm... Dude calm down.
Oyedepo isn't doing this for profit. If you bothered to calculate everything,you'd understand that he actually doesn't make profits from them.
It is in a quest to increase the quality of education in Nigeria that he built those schools.
No matter where you go, you'll never find a cheap private university with good standards like the ones Oyedepo has.

And what makes you think the pastors don't pay their children's fees completely. Did you just pull this outta yer ass?

Well Mr man, i run an education program and I tell you Redeemers university and CU gives a percent fee to their kids for being pastors to their churches.

You talk of standards, this is really funny. I had a seminar in Abuja. This relates to the accounting department at CU. At the seminar, the VC made complaints as to how his school wasn't doing well in that field and in other respective fields. He then asked how we could help make his school be a better one for tomorrow. When we told him, he said the fees was going to be increased and till date the methods we mentioned to him hasn't been adopted. And such would amount to 200 dollars per accounting students. Till date, the students run the same useless program in accounting like they have a clue of what the real world is like.

You talk of standards, why won't my friends who finished at CU get a job out of the country with the standard quality education at CU. Stop being brain washed by what you dont know. No school, and I repeat, no school is built not to make profit. He isn't doing this for profit, yet 3 schools have being built. I hear you oo Mr man

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Exciton(m): 12:12pm On Feb 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

I agree with you. I'm sure Nigeria has quality care commissions to monitor schools, and make sure they're up to standard. But as usual, I'm sure they're ridden by corruption, and would always accredit schools that are not good provided brown envelopes have exchanged hands.
What I don't agree with however is that churches should help the govt refurbish or provide for their schools. FYI, I know churches in Lagos that have refurbished govt schools, set up up to date labs and computers, libraries for the schools. They've done well, but its not sustainable.
Instead, let's learn to hold our govt accountable. Nigeria can afford to raise her public schools to the highest standards possible. Why do we feel its alright for citizens who go into govt with next to nothing, and come out of their positions with millions of dollars and pounds?
I know churches that have built roads, repaired roads, given a lot of communities transformers etc but the truth is all these responsibilities are not the church's but the government. Nigeria will move forward if we go and carry placards / do walks insisting that all senators ,reps, should receive allowances like civil servants on perm sec levels. Let's start from there first.
Wanna type more, duty calls, gotta go..

My statements did not imply that churches have an obligatory responsibility to help the government out on education. They imply that if churches really cared about education, they should help by offering to improve existing schools on ground by buying equipment instead of creating more piss poor schools.

Let me break it down further, an SEM or magnetometer worth its salt is on the order of $200,000 (depending on specs and age). And that's just one equipment out of many needed for an up to date materials characterization facility. Of course, we don't have one in Nigeria.

Now, you can see how expensive it is to build a good university capable of doing research. These churches can't afford it! So, why the hell are they building universities?
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 12, 2017
princejenks:
let's call a spade wot it is,these private universities being run by missions have priced tuition over and above the reach of their members,I even hear some of these private universities have other profitable business ventures they run along side. You talked about these private universities being under 20 years old,the reason they are not in top 1000 best universities in the world but my answer to that is this,the rankings are based on webometrics which these private universities use as selling point,that is,they are IT complaint,yet can't make the list. This greatly calls to question what value they are really adding to the system of education in Nigeria cos beyond being devoid of strikes and having a few infrastructure to boast of,their personnel are still heavily being sourced from the government run institutions. We won't be needing private universities if government was properly funding the ones they are managing cos elsewhere in the world,and even here in nigeria,it's the not so bright students who can't pass entrance exams to government run higher institutions that flood private universities but here we are now making it a status symbol to send our wards there killing off our education gradually. Am still on my point that these private universities should charge discriminary fees for members,that talk of merit doesn't hold water,if you pass the entrance exams to such schools you're good enough,then such child of a member should be made to pay less fees than non members;this is why I doff my hat for catholics,though not one,but I know the day they decide to set up a private university,it will not only be world class but Catholics would pay almost nothing to have their wards there
How much is caritas and veritas university owned by catholic in Nigeria... also carry out your research on catholic owned uni worldwide
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by CecyAdrian(f): 12:12pm On Feb 12, 2017
DrayZee:

Really. The cheap universities, who have hey helped in the society?
It's like I should stop here. Women don't lose arguments, no matter how wrong they may be.
Just try and be considerate.

Hahahahahahaa, the expensive universities, what have they done to the society shocked
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by CecyAdrian(f): 12:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
TopeEmma15:

How much is caritas and veritas university owned by catholic in Nigeria... also carry out your research on catholic owned uni worldwide

Caritas and Veritas is owned by a Priest (one man) and not the Catholic church as you claim
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by princejenks(m): 12:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

Their tuition being high is a relative thing. Most of these schools are just finding their feet. For people to even start comparing them to our public institutions that have been in existence for decades is a great achievement talk more of comparing them to international institutions. The good private unis in Nigeria are holding their own. They have gone a long way in so little time.
You say catholic, Anglican schools are free? Don't be deceived. They used to get serious fundings from abroad in those days. Now that most of these schools (I'm talking of their secondary schools) are self funding, their fees are also higher.
Most of the private unis are indigenous home grown faith based. Built from scratch.There's no mother church abroad anywhere.
Give credit where its due.
If you see anything good functioning anywhere, its because money is being spent on it. Tithes and offerings cannot sustain these schools. Some schools run businesses like pure water, , printing etc. It only makes sense to get money from extra sources to be self sustaining. I remember unilag was the first uni to think outside the box and start generating money from pure water, soap etc businesses. They didn't wait for the fed govt. Others have followed suite. Why you feel faith based schools cannot run businesses to meet the needs if their community, and also generate income at the same time beggars belief.
Churches running businesses to sustain themselves shows that tithe and offerings are not enough. Even the old churches church of England- Anglican, Catholic, methodist have always had business interests. They have being worth billions since time immemorial. They are not being run by tithes and offerings.
Arguments like yours tend to justify people who call for churches to be taxed. I never mentioned anglican in my submission rather I said if the catholic church decided to set up their own private university in Nigeria,it won't cost an arm and a leg before parents would be able to send their wards there,no one says it should be free but if other private universities are charging say 1.5 million a session for a particular course,members shouldn't have to pay up to that if they enrolled their wards,that exactly is my point. No one is saying private universities aren't serving their purpose but they shouldn't make much noise for now until they make the best 1000 universities list considering the heavy tuition they are charging,much more is demanded from them in form of output and impact,not just the world class infrastructure they keep boasting about in their brochures.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

Let us be fair. The unis ranking top 1000 in the world have all being there for decades, or even 100s of years.
The faith based schools in Nigeria just started. Non is up to 20years old. They have come a long way, and I'm proud of some specific ones who have proved themselves that they have a good mgt team in place, and can only get better.
Let us also be honest with ourselves, tithes and offerings cannot sustain these schools. How many indigent people really pay the tithes and offering? Someone that has no money to even feed, and you're talking of tithes and offering? Is it not the money you have that you will put down?
I know indigent people who have gone to CU, on scholarships. Because they are indigent, and also deserving. Deserving in the sense that they have a good academic record. That's the way scholarships should be given anyway.
I know a lot of churches that verify the help they give through the home fellowship system. If you're not an active member of the home fellowship, then you're not considered a true member. The home fellowship is such that its a small gathering of members usually as small as 5-20, that come to worship together and can even raise help amongst themselves. If that's not possible, and you need help, your home cell fellowship leader can verify you with the church, that you've been an active member for long.
Its a better system, as a lot of people can get lost in the crowd of the main church.
Many don't realise this. The church leaders aren't clairvoyant. If you need help, or envisage you may need help in the future look for your church's home cell fellowship around you and start being active there now. Let them know you. That's one of the easiest ways they use in knowing their members.
I know this because I've observed closely, from afar how some of these systems work.
You are wise
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by CecyAdrian(f): 12:24pm On Feb 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

I hope you know Loyola Jesuit is a catholic secondary school? I also hope you know their fees per term is more than the private unis we talk about per session?
Faith based schools were taken over by the govt at a point in time, and their standards dropped. They are now being run by their boards, and more expensive but better quality.
All those missionary schools you talk about were being run by funds from abroad. For any school or organisation to be considered good, there's money at the wheels. Someone somewhere else may be paying for it, but its not free/cheap.

Read that below and stop saying Loyal Jesuit is a Catholic school. One man foundered it.
Loyola Jesuit College is a private, co-educational, boarding, secondary school in Abuja,[1] operated by the Society of Jesus of the Roman Catholic church. The school was opened on October 2, 1996, and is named after the Society's founder, St. Ignatius of Loyola.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2017
Lordkratus:
your write up was going nicely until you started throwing figures. point of correction my friend the 400million wage bill is per annum not per month. let me explain it is well know that the average salary of a private uni lecturer is about 300thousand after combining both academic and non academic staff and those university don't have up to 100 working staff strength because it is government owned universities that have that number of staff in fact let's even give them 120 staffs multiplied by the average salary gives you 36million monthly. multiply that by 12 and you get the right figure of an average yearly salary of a private university. note that the 300thousand is far above the average salary but for the sake of parity I chose that and the staff strength is as high as that. in the year 2012 Uniben one of the biggest university in the country in terms of staff and facility declared annual staff salary for both academic and non academic staff to be at 800 million and this is a school with two campuses and staff strength combined ranging over 300.if you day their month salary is 400 million the implication is they have an average of 800 staff that they pay averagely 500k each or 400 staff that they pay one million each lol, we all know the salary structure of private universities especially church owned besides I have a brother lecturing in convenant uni. I know that monthly wage bill is not only impossible but unimaginable. so if the number of student is actually correct that you stated for the private university covenant then they are making a huge load of cash in profit from it. thanks
What! Covenant uni pays using the CONUASS structure. I will find their salary structure and show you. Hold on

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by emmygzy(m): 12:30pm On Feb 12, 2017
Statsocial:
By Ife Olaleye
There has been so much buzz about Church universities being expensive in Nigeria and I would like to address some of this controversies mostly using Covenant University as a case study.

Tithes/Offerings are used to build Church Universities? This seems to be a widely asserted theory. This is partly not true because most Churches don’t exactly use Tithes/Offerings for building church universities but create special donations for that purpose. Usually, the initial university capital projects are funded with these donations. We have to remember that the core mandate of any church isn’t not to create universities but to preach the gospel of Jesus and help the poor and that is done with tithes/offering to establish outreaches, pay pastoral salaries, build new churches etc.

Donations can’t sustain recurrent expenditure: while ‘excited’ members would usually agree to pay donations for the initial financial responsibility of the universities. No church would be able to get its church members to continually pay for its recurrent expenditure. In fact if any of these church schools were to try and choose continual donations as an alternative to ‘High’ tuition fees the next thing you would see are private university lecturers going on strike.

Are Church universities profitable? I do not believe any sane investor or business man would venture into the tertiary education sector with the aim of making profit. There is a reason why you wouldn’t find Otedola or Dangote investing in education. If you do your research properly you would find that till today Covenant university hasn’t made any profit for its proprietors. Let us examine the revenue vs expenditure of Covenant university for example. The Covenant university tuition(undergraduate) ranges between 600,000-800,000 depending on level/program but I would base it on 700k. There are about 7,000 students on campus at a given time so I multiply 700,000 by 7,000=4.9 billion. So the university’s revenue from tuition fees is about 4.9 billion.

When considering expenditure I would like to keep the value projections conservative. I believe Covenant University’s wage bill to be around 500 million/month but I would calculate using 400 million since that is the average wage bill for a Nigerian university. So 400 million x 12 months= 4.8 billion. I currently don’t know how much CU pays to get electricity but reports had it that in 2012 the university spent 700 million naira on electricity. I would deliberately exclude expenditures like research grant, conference support, Infrastructure, field trips, medical services, internet provision e.t.c because I do not have real data to conclude how much they gulp yearly. So using just wage bill+Electricity, the university has spent 5.5 billion when the tuition fee is about 4.8 billion. This proves the former NUC president, Peter Okebukola right when he said that ‘’Church universities were being too dependent on the Church’’. Also, the VC of Crawford did buttress the fact that the proprietor base still donates 500 million yearly to Crawford as subsidy. If these subsidies weren’t in place Church universities would have been more expensive that secular ones.

Assumed wealth of the Church: there is a saying in Yoruba land that ‘’the chicken sweats but the feathers won’t let you know’’. Would you believe that Oyedepo nearly missed his own deadline for the establishment of the first two halls of residence in Covenant University? because donations weren’t coming forth, until God miraculously provided.

‘Expensive’ tuition isn’t unique to Pentecostal Churches: whilst many choose to assault Pa. Adeboye and Bishop Oyedepo for charging high tuition fees. It is important to note that even Orthodox churches which are known not to be ‘’prosperity conscious’’ charge within the same bracket e.g Bowen(Baptist), ECWA(Bingham), Godfrey Okoye(Catholic), Adventist(Babcock), JABU(CAC), Methodist(Wesley) e.t.c

Expensive tuition isn’t unique to Church universities alone; Church universities are ranked to be generally good with Covenant University averagely in top three on the two out of four most reputable rankings in the world-Webometrics and Times higher education. However Islamic schools that are not in the top 50 universities in Nigeria but also charge about half a million(e.g Crescent) which is about the same thing CU charges.

The underlining purpose for creating Church schools; This is very important, the creation of church schools isn’t to actually teach physics and chemistry, but to create a spiritual revolution. Take that spiritual revolution away from CU, then it is by no means different from Afebabalola university. Therefore, if you are a committed member of your church you are already a member of that movement. For instance I am not a living faith member, but by attending CU I have joined myself to the spiritual movement of the church.
This is pure crap to support extortion. They can be collecting offering to run the once in a month and make the university free. People will gladly pay the offering since they know the university is for free. Those churches have several thousands of churches all over the world and the money they will be collecting will be enough to run the school. Why will a church build universities members can't afford? What is the purpose of building it? It's for business jor.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by bizhop01: 12:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
Christianity is free,BUT YOU MUST BUY BIBLE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Exciton(m): 12:39pm On Feb 12, 2017
Draxler:
In 2015 Babcock university graduates were the best at the Nigerian bar exam. I also believe that the medical school at BU is also the best in this country. You can go to the school and judge with your own eyes. So let us not pretend it's only CU. Also when you say they have crap teachers you have gotten it wrong. A lot of the lecturers at private universities were also well respected lecturers at public universities. The same lecturer who taught my mum at Unilag medical school in the 80s is also teaching my younger sister in Babcock university today. So they do not have bad lecturers as you say. Let me ask you this, how much do you think churches realize from tithes and offerings? I mean a lot of us go to church here. We know how much we drop as offering and tithe. That's for those of us that actually drop. A lot of churches need to even do businesses outside to support their projects. If church business was that profitable even the "smallest pastors" would be stinkingly rich. In private universities like BU and CU because of the problems with electricity in Nigeria they basically have to run diesel generators for 24 hours in all the hostels and academic buildings. Do you think its cheap? Let's not forget they have staff to pay salaries to, from professors to cleaners and they do this every month for every session. And also the cost of building and maintaining facilities? Even research? The truth is they need money for all these things and it doesnt come cheap. I dont know any good private university in the world that is cheap. You say these schools dont have facilities? Some private schools have better equipped labs than the public schools. I mean we know the state of the facilities in some of our public universities. Lets not kid ourselves. Nothing good comes cheap and if you visit any of these schools and inspect their facilities youll realize why they arent cheap.

You still don't get it. I'm talking about creating world class institutions... even if it's just ONE. But, you're comparing two bad apples. I never said our public education is good, but I'm saying the private ones are worse. Mainly because they neither have the funds for equipment nor the teachers to match!

About teachers. Simple exercise: check CU's departmental webpages and check the number of lecturers than have a PhD to start with. Check the number of professors each department has. Check their publication record. Check if they've published anything of recent. Check if they've ever been published in any journal with a good (not even high) Impact Factor. The same is true for public unis but I assure you that it's worse in private unis.

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Themandator: 12:40pm On Feb 12, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
But this is not how Catholic ran churches way back then.....its too expensive...well na dem sabi

The inflation in the general economy tells on every pricing decision of today .......Catholic owned schools ranks amongst the most expensive secondary schools in Nigeria. ......one is been set up in Nestoil town in Anambra state.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Themandator: 12:49pm On Feb 12, 2017
emmygzy:
This is pure crap to support extortion. They can be collecting offering to run the once in a month and make the university free. People will gladly pay the offering since they know the university is for free. Those churches have several thousands of churches all over the world and the money they will be collecting will be enough to run the school. Why will a church build universities members can't afford? What is the purpose of building it? It's for business jor.

Join your church finance committee to get a first hand of the ' billions' they rake in beforee asking the members to donate more.........if 'offering' is the be all and cure all the Catholic university that has gone on for many years would have been operational by now.
....they got liecense under Babangida and offering after offering,levy after levy and it has not got off the ground in the suppose Abuja site .....I was a catholic when this project took off and up till date offering has done very little to it

Ecumenical center was forcefully completed by Abuja as a sitting president not offering and donation but because he felt it was a shame that while the Muslim comumity had a monument in Abuja the Christian community had an incomplete building ....Danjuma was made the head of the comiittt to complete the edifice and some people's contribution were sent back until they gave what Obj considered reasonable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 12, 2017
Statsocial:

Even if u bring it down to 100k it would still be unaffordable to some. Do you know even our govt is struggling to fund their own unis. If churches run free education it would be sacrificing quality on the alter of affordability, which for some churches is not an option

If the church cannot provide free University education, they better not touch it rather than create it for the rich alone.

The healthy needs no physician, only the sick needs one.

The rich can afford to go to non church private universities. The role of the church in the society is to provide for the less privileged.

That is why God said, whenever you feed these poor little ones, you feed me.

When you create church schools, it should never be for the rich but these little poor ones.

And if you consider church tithes and offerings not enough to manage free education, fund something else to promote the gospel of Christ.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by frubben(m): 1:04pm On Feb 12, 2017
DrayZee:

Hmm... Dude calm down.
Oyedepo isn't doing this for profit. If you bothered to calculate everything,you'd understand that he actually doesn't make profits from them.
It is in a quest to increase the quality of education in Nigeria that he built those schools.
No matter where you go, you'll never find a cheap private university with good standards like the ones Oyedepo has.

And what makes you think the pastors don't pay their children's fees completely. Did you just pull this outta yer ass?

U kidding right? That oyedepo is not making any profit. And he has 2 uni. Hahhahhahahhhahhhahhha guy stop now

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 12, 2017
Azedplus:
Going by your claims, then the school wouldn't have continued in existence. We all have engaged in one form of business or other. No business will make loss continously as u claim and still exist except nonprofit making organizations ( though all businesses have it's peak and off-peak periods ) . Even businesses that breakeven cant last as long. Your writeup is based on assumptions, sorry, that's not how we determine profitability of a venture, You are still an undergraduate ( no offense ) ,as such you see it from one angle( as we are told ) but it's different out here ( as was told and as it is ). Let the schools board come out to make the claims, then I will believe you
Church schools are built with bilions. Oyedepo is a business savvy guy, if he wanted to make profit he would take that money and invest it in oil and gas or telcom and in fact save himself from unnecessary university controversies. Mention one of the top ten richest Nigerians that invested in Education or owns a university. They don't. Not here in Nigeria and not even outside d country sef.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by frubben(m): 1:12pm On Feb 12, 2017
Okay fine u have told us the one for university, can u also give us excuse for why their primary and secondary school is expensive.

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 12, 2017
Draxler:
In 2015 Babcock university graduates were the best at the Nigerian bar exam. I also believe that the medical school at BU is also the best in this country. You can go to the school and judge with your own eyes. So let us not pretend it's only CU. Also when you say they have crap teachers you have gotten it wrong. A lot of the lecturers at private universities were also well respected lecturers at public universities. The same lecturer who taught my mum at Unilag medical school in the 80s is also teaching my younger sister in Babcock university today. So they do not have bad lecturers as you say. Let me ask you this, how much do you think churches realize from tithes and offerings? I mean a lot of us go to church here. We know how much we drop as offering and tithe. That's for those of us that actually drop. A lot of churches need to even do businesses outside to support their projects. If church business was that profitable even the "smallest pastors" would be stinkingly rich. In private universities like BU and CU because of the problems with electricity in Nigeria they basically have to run diesel generators for 24 hours in all the hostels and academic buildings. Do you think its cheap? Let's not forget they have staff to pay salaries to, from professors to cleaners and they do this every month for every session. And also the cost of building and maintaining facilities? Even research? The truth is they need money for all these things and it doesnt come cheap. I dont know any good private university in the world that is cheap. You say these schools dont have facilities? Some private schools have better equipped labs than the public schools. I mean we know the state of the facilities in some of our public universities. Lets not kid ourselves. Nothing good comes cheap and if you visit any of these schools and inspect their facilities youll realize why they arent cheap.
See God would specially bless you for me. You even put it better than I did. My last offering in church was probably N100, and we plenty wey dey drop am like that. Is it that kind 100 naira x whatever that would run a university

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
Exciton:

You still don't get it. I'm talking about creating world class institutions... even if it's just ONE. But, you're comparing two bad apples. I never said our public education is good, but I'm saying the private ones are worse. Mainly because they neither have the funds for equipment nor the teachers to match!

About teachers. Simple exercise: check CU's departmental webpages and check the number of lecturers than have a PhD to start with. Check the number of professors each department has. Check their publication record. Check if they've published anything of recent. Check if they've ever been published in any journal with a good (not even high) Impact Factor. The same is true for public unis but I assure you that it's worse in private unis.
You are deliberately being ignorant. When webometrics ranked Best scholars in 2015, there were 78 CU lecturers out of the 700 ranked. Secondly CU has a policy that does not allow a lecturer without PHD lecture. If they do then their Phd is in view. Thirdly, Webometrics measures research relevance by online citation and CU is no 2 in Nigeria. So what are you saying

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Azedplus(m): 1:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
Statsocial:

Church schools are built with bilions. Oyedepo is a business savvy guy, if he wanted to make profit he would take that money and invest it in oil and gas or telcom and in fact save himself from unnecessary university controversies. Mention one of the top ten richest Nigerians that invested in Education or owns a university. They don't. Not here in Nigeria and not even outside d country sef.
You asked me to mention one, Am pleased to let you know this, in case you don't know. Mr Adedeji Adeleke ( Adeleke University, Osun State )
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by eyinjuege: 2:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
princejenks:
Arguments like yours tend to justify people who call for churches to be taxed. I never mentioned anglican in my submission rather I said if the catholic church decided to set up their own private university in Nigeria,it won't cost an arm and a leg before parents would be able to send their wards there,no one says it should be free but if other private universities are charging say 1.5 million a session for a particular course,members shouldn't have to pay up to that if they enrolled their wards,that exactly is my point. No one is saying private universities aren't serving their purpose but they shouldn't make much noise for now until they make the best 1000 universities list considering the heavy tuition they are charging,much more is demanded from them in form of output and impact,not just the world class infrastructure they keep boasting about in their brochures.

I'm saying give them time. The last I knew about their charges it was about 500k per session. It may have probably gone up, but I don't think its up to 1.5mill.
CU in particular has done well considering the time it started. There are arguments comparing them with U.I, and other correct fed institutions that have been around almost 100years. That's a feat on its own in my opinion.

They've been able to achieve that in a short while, so give them kudos. Its still too soon to hear from their alumni and how they're doing in the society, but I believe they are getting there.
Taxing churches is another worldwide argument on its own, btw.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by eyinjuege: 2:02pm On Feb 12, 2017
CecyAdrian:

Read that below and stop saying Loyal Jesuit is a Catholic school. One man foundered it.

St Ignatius of Ibadan abi?
Or St Ignatius of where?

Loyola Jesuit is a Catholic school. As catholic as the Pope. Please, go and read the founding history on Wikipedia. It was sponsored and founded by foreign missions.
Catholic schools are top notch, and are also one of the most expensive everywhere.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
Azedplus:

You asked me to mention one, Am pleased to let you know this, in case you don't know. Mr Adedeji Adeleke ( Adeleke University, Osun State )
Well Adeleke isn't top 10 or even top 20 but I agree he is amongst the elite. A person may establish a universities based on so many reasons. But you already assume that Adeleke established his own based on enterprise, which may not necessarily be so. Private universities are classified into two "for profit" or "not for profit". CU is officially labelled not profit. De bells for example could be for profit because the tuition is more expensive than that of CU even though it is poorly ranked. So Adeleke could infact be profitable.
When comparing private unis fees people erroneously compare them with public unis. But actually they should b compared with secular private unis to determine their profitability because of course public universities are funded by oil money and tax. So since CU, RUN, Bowen are cheaper than AUN, BAZE then it means that Church unis were subsidized. Shikena
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 12, 2017
CecyAdrian:

grin grin grin grin grin

1.The Society of Jesus was founded by St Ignatius of Loyola.....in the 16th century AD!

2.The Society of Jesus is a ROMAN CATHOLIC ORDER.....subordiante to the Church. Infact, Ignatius of Loyola had to get permission from the then Pope directly before he could found the society.

3.Loyola Jesuit is run by the Society of Jesus...whose priests are referred to as Jesuits!

4.Chai....some people need to read more. (By the way, I am not a Catholic.).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by iammolahs(m): 2:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
dadaic:

Well, I have only this to say here. If Pastor Oyedepo wasn't making profit from the CU university, he wouldn't venture into having 2 other schools. If a business is not making profit, they close down. So you mean to tell me the VC likes spending his money to create schools, get fees paid at such rates, create other schools and loose money? Lol..that's ridiculous.

Meanwhile, all private universities do not have a fixed price, you see some lower than the other, they pay the academic and non academic staffs, they run electricity too, and of course still make profit from this. Some of their pastors who have kids do not have to pay their fees completely, they pay a certain amount. So if he doesn't make profit, he can as well make a statement and say all the pastor's who have kids must pay the fees completely like the others who aren't pastors. Abeg oga go and get your facts right.
dude,,ain't supporting anyone here...I never knew that David oyedepo is planning to open another sch..moreover CU isn't d only Christian Uni we have

1 Like

Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
frubben:
Okay fine u have told us the one for university, can u also give us excuse for why their primary and secondary school is expensive.

undecided undecided undecided
Do not compare church private schools to government owned because what the govt is doing is not subsidizing edu but abandoning it because they are afraid of what d masses could do if these schools are to run themselves. I was a teacher during my service year in Oyo and what I saw his horrific. Unpaid angry teachers were beating students out of frustration at the slightest provocation. The teachers were not going to classes except for corp members.
So If u want to compare church schools compare them with secular secondary schools and not govt owned. E.g Faith academy vs Corona and you would discover that the Church schools are cheaper. Also, the reason why church schools r expensive is majorly because of boarding services so If you can't attend Faith academy go to Covenant university secondary school which I believe is cheaper. Finally, LFC has more than 100 secondary/primary schools and I don't know their tuition but I believe they r subsidized.
Re: Why Church Universities Are Expensive by DrayZee: 2:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
CecyAdrian:

Hahahahahahaa, the expensive universities, what have they done to the society shocked
You will not allow this matter rest. There was a global computer programming competition. A Covenant University student came 3rd. Which have the public uni's done?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNILAG SUG Leaders Bag Four Semesters Suspension Each / Unizik Admission List / ASUU Unveils UTAS As Alternative To IPPIS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.