Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,300 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) (2871 Views)

How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? / Is Religion The Problem Of The World? / The 'Hatist' Manifesto - Is Religion Worth It? (Incomplete) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 8:41pm On Feb 14, 2017
Something, I've noticed on this section, is that Atheists Agnostics, and other forms of religious critics, omit Nigeria's major problems like corruption, intolerance among ethnic groups, juvenile delinquency and the likes, instead they capitalize on religion as the cause of the backwardness of this country, And my question is how really is religion our problem?
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 8:49pm On Feb 14, 2017
Corruption is the major reason why things aren't working. E.g infrastructures, basic amenities e.t.c

Religion/superstition is the major reason why africa is super backward mentally.
E.g thinking, human skull can make you reach or praying to a jweish/arab unknown gods can make you pass exam without studying or cure sickle sell.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by soberdrunk(m): 8:52pm On Feb 14, 2017
................because never have we heard that a group of "atheists" burnt, killed or harmed anyone for "Not believing" angry angry
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by ZirdoRoray(m): 8:52pm On Feb 14, 2017
There are several factors for the depreciative state of the nation and the world at large; religion being one and those who are passionate about this particular aspect of existence will voice more of their concens, convictions, fascinations and knowledge on this incredibly mind-enslaving phenomenon. ARE YOU A POLYTHEIST?
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by felixomor: 8:59pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
Corruption is the major reason why things aren't working. E.g infrastructures, basic amenities e.t.c

Religion/superstition is the major reason why africa is super backward mentally.
E.g thinking, human skull can make you reach or praying to a jweish/arab unknown gods can make you pass exam without studying or cure sickle sell.

Oga,
Before african ancient civilizations were invaded,
Africa ruled the world.
They had religion then.
And they still have it.
Religion has nothing to do with being backward.

India, China, UAE are all religious more than us.
Yet they r moving.

Poor Leadership is the reason why we r backward.
Not religion.

2 Likes

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 9:16pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:

Religion/superstition is the major reawhy africa is super backward mentally.

Your assertions are simply based on assumptions, anything, absolutely anything can be practiced wrongly, Christianity for example does not encourage praying without studying, so get your facts right. Religion is not the problem in that case its laziness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 9:17pm On Feb 14, 2017
felixomor:

Oga,
Before african ancient civilizations were invaded,
Africa ruled the world.
They had religion then.
And they still have it.
Religion has nothing to do with being backward.

India, China, UAE are all religious more than us.
Yet they r moving.

Poor Leadership is the reason why we r backward.
Not religion.
oga solo

Learn to comprehend post before you quote someone, don't just jump like jaguar.

Shey bad leadership has nothing to do with corruption I mentioned earlier?

Did africa ruled the world with religion or through science and advance weaponry?
Is usa ruling the world with religion now?
Read, read read don't just jump.

While advanced countries are ruling the world with the help of advance science, africans are still somewhere clutching to the idea of dead arab/jewish to come and do eerything for them.
Heck they are praying to end bad leadership in africa.
And he thinks religion is not the problem.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 9:21pm On Feb 14, 2017
peacesamuel94:

Your assertions are simply based on assumptions, anything, absolutely anything can be practiced wrongly, Christianity for example does not encourage praying without studying, so get your facts right. Religion is not the problem in its laziness.
and christianity doesn't also encourage doing the impossible through prayer and faith?
Plus who made you the judge of right or wrong way of practising any religion?
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by taiwokyle(m): 9:23pm On Feb 14, 2017
Sense that they don't have is paining Me.
China has numerous religion nw, India nko! we have just three basic ones here
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by felixomor: 9:31pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
oga solo

Learn to comprehend post before you quote someone, don't just jump like jaguar.

Shey bad leadership has nothing to do with corruption I mentioned earlier?

Did africa ruled the world with religion or through science and advance weaponry?
Is usa ruling the world with religion now?
Read, read read don't just jump.

While advanced countries are ruling the world with the help of advance science, africans are still somewhere clutching to the idea of dead arab/jewish to come and do eerything for them.
Heck they are praying to end bad leadership in africa.
And he thinks religion is not the problem.

You are still pulling your talk back.
Africa has never been without religion.
Religion did not impede their science and technology back then.
Thats what I am Telling u.
Are we more religious than Israel?
Why has Israel's religion not hindered their developement?

You are not getting it.
You just want to blame religion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 9:33pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
and christianity doesn't also encourage doing the impossible through prayer and faith?
Plus who made you the judge of right or wrong way of practising any religion?

I don't need to be a judge to know what my religion teaches and does not.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 9:39pm On Feb 14, 2017
felixomor:

You are still pulling your talk back.
Africa has never been without religion.
Religion did not impede their science and technology back then.
Thats what I am Telling u.
Are we more religious than Israel?
Why has Israel's religion not hindered their developement?

You are not getting it.
You just want to blame religion
you are still not getting it.

Religion is the reason why africans canyt think straight, bad leadership is why eerything is stangnant.. Go back and read my post and stop contradicting yourself.

While africans think religion is the solution to all their problems including bad leadership, israelites don't think so, though they have their religion as secondary, but they took matter into their own hands.

Heck, some fulani herdsmen killed some people in enugu, the governor declared 3days fasting, palestine threw bomb to israel killing a child, israel leveled palestine, see the big difference.

3 Likes

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 9:42pm On Feb 14, 2017
peacesamuel94:

I don't need to be a judge to know what my religion teaches and does not.
but you already said some people are practising it wrong? Or am I missing something?

So yours is right and they are wrong.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by felixomor: 9:48pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
you are still not getting it.

Religion is the reason why africans canyt think straight, bad leadership is why eerything is stangnant.. Go back and read my post and stop contradicting yourself.

While africans think religion is the solution to all their problems including bad leadership, israelites don't think so, though they have their religion as secondary, but they took matter into their own hands.

Heck, some fulani herdsmen killed some people in enugu, the governor declared 3days fasting, palestine threw bomb to israel killing a child, israel leveled palestine, see the big difference.

What that governor did is not religion.
Its poor Leadership that made him do that.
Its misunderstanding responsibility and thats what u r confusing for "religion"

If a mad man uses an expensive shirt to clean the floor
It doesn't mean the shirt is useless.
The man is simply abusing the shirt.
Simple

U r exchanging "religion" for "abuse of religion".
A poor leader will always abuse anything be it power or religion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 9:51pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
but you already said some people are practising it wrong? Or am I missing something?

So yours is right and they are wrong.

Read the post again, You gave an example of a student who believed he could pass by praying without studying, and I said that, it does not conform with the teachings of Christianity, The Christian doctrine admonishes it adherents to study to show themselves approved, So when people see someone like that they erroneously assume, that he is doing so because his religion instructed him to.

Which is why I said he is going about it wrongly,,I can't remember mentioning any other religion in my post apart from Christianity.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 9:56pm On Feb 14, 2017
soberdrunk:
................because never have we heard that a group of "atheists" burnt, killed or harmed anyone for "Not believing" angry angry

You might want to do some research on Luigi Galleani and his likes.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by soberdrunk(m): 10:00pm On Feb 14, 2017
peacesamuel94:

You might want to do some research on Luigi Galleani and his likes.

You might want to read the topic of the thread again. "Nigerias's"
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 10:01pm On Feb 14, 2017
peacesamuel94:

Read the post again, You gave an example of a student who believed he could pass by praying without studying, and I said that, it does not conform with the teachings of Christianity, The Christian doctrine admonishes it adherents to study to show themselves approved, So when people see someone like that they erroneously assume, that he doing so because his religion instructed him to.

Which is why I said he is going about it wrongly,,I can't remember mentioning any other religion in my post apart from Christianity.

I'm not here to discuss christianity, but what makes you right and the kids that think have a faith the size of mustard seed can make him pass without effort wrong?
Isn't that in the same bible?
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 10:03pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
I'm not here to discuss christianity, but what makes you right and the kids that think have a faith the size of mustard seed can make him pass without effort wrong?
Isn't that in the same bible?

But the bible also told them that Faith without work is dead.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 10:05pm On Feb 14, 2017
felixomor:

What that governor did is not religion.
Its poor Leadership that made him do that.
Its misunderstanding responsibility and thats what u r confusing for "religion"

If a mad man uses an expensive shirt to clean the floor
It doesn't mean the shirt is useless.
The man is simply abusing the shirt.
Simple

U r exchanging "religion" for "abuse of religion".
A poor leader will always abuse anything be it power or religion.
And if there is no religion, would there be anything to abuse?
If someone is abusing cocaine, what would you rather withdraw? What is the importance of cocaine to humanity? What is the importance of religion?
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 10:07pm On Feb 14, 2017
peacesamuel94:

But the bible also told them that Faith without work is dead.
so the bible is the problem right? Hence the religion?

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by felixomor: 10:08pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:

And if there is no religion, would there be anything to abuse?
If someone is abusing cocaine, what would you rather withdraw? What is the importance of cocaine to humanity? What is the importance of religion?

Go to north korea
There is no religion there.
Go and see how their president is abusing power and abusing human lives.

Your question doesnt hold water.
As long as human beings are on earth, abuse of anything is inevitable.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 10:09pm On Feb 14, 2017
soberdrunk:

You might want to read the topic of the thread again. "Nigerias's"

I've edited it, meanwhile you can carryout your research now will you?
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 10:14pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
so the bible is the problem right? Hence the religion?

There are no contradictions here, the Bible instructed that we have faith. but also advised us not to neglect our responsibilities. so there's no excuse for laziness on the part of Christians.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 10:15pm On Feb 14, 2017
felixomor:

Go to north korea
There is no religion there.
Go and see how their president is abusing power and abusing human lives.

Your question doesnt hold water.
As long as human beings are on earth, abuse of anything is inevitable.
lmao, north korea is still better than nigeria. Plus their president is like a god which is more or less a religion.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 10:18pm On Feb 14, 2017
ZirdoRoray:
There are several factors for the depreciative state of the nation and the world at large; religion being one and those who are passionate about this particular aspect of existence will voice more of their concens, convictions, fascinations and knowledge on this incredibly mind-enslaving phenomenon. ARE YOU A POLYTHEIST?

No I'm not.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by felixomor: 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
lmao, north korea is still better than nigeria. Plus their president is like a god which is more or less a religion.

So u think u can use Facebook or Nairaland in north korea?
Abeg try and relocate.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2017
peacesamuel94:

There are no contradictions here, the Bible instructed that we have faith. but also advised us not to neglect our responsibilities. so there's no excuse for laziness on the part of Christians.

bible said, if you have mustard seed faith, you can move mountain. It didn't say, if you have mustard seed faith and bulldozers, you can move mountain. Read your bible.

2 Likes

Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by peacesamuel94(m): 10:22pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
bible said, if you have mustard seed faith, you can move mountain. It didn't say, if you have mustard seed faith and bulldozers, you can move mountain. Read your bible.

And you think the mountain He was talking about was literal.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by ZirdoRoray(m): 10:23pm On Feb 14, 2017
peacesamuel94:

No I'm not.

what is your conviction for being a monotheist? You were brought up in monotheism, right?
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by Earth2Metahuman: 10:23pm On Feb 14, 2017
felixomor:

So u think u can use Facebook or Nairaland in north korea?
Abeg try and relocate.
what I said stands, kim jon is a god they worship.

Not using facebook or whatever western propaganda tool doesn't change the fact that north korea is better than 90% of african countries statistically.
Re: Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) by felixomor: 10:25pm On Feb 14, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
what I said stands, kim jon is a god they worship.

Not using facebook or whatever western propaganda tool doesn't change the fact that north korea is better than 90% of african countries statistically.

U dont know propaganda.
North korea are the masters of propaganda.
The pple are suffering.
They hide it and kill anyone who talks.

So to be honest, u will exchange north korea citizenship with nigerian citizenship?
U must be joking.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Of These Redeem Or Winners Has The Largest Land Space And Congregation? / RCCG Pastor, Gabriel Olufemi Diya And Children Laid To Rest In London (photos) / Interesting Report On One Of The Causes Of Underdevelopment In Africa: Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.