Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,486 members, 7,954,869 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:20 AM

How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? (4968 Views)

Prayer Points Against The Dream Of Backwardness. / Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are / Is Religion The Problem Of The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 12:18pm On Aug 04, 2019
I've heard this statement over and over again that religion is the cause of backwardness in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. I've tried so many times to picture if there is any truth in this, but I keep missing it. These days, people don't consider bad leadership in the country as a problem and result of present negative circumstances which we face, but blame it all on RELIGION!! And when you tell them to explain, 90% of them begin to throw tantrums at Church goers and Christians in general sad sad

If you are one of those who keep saying that religion is the cause of the problem, please come on in and tell us how.. The comment box is also opened to those who think otherwise..

Remain Blessed kiss

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 12:22pm On Aug 04, 2019
Tribalism is a glaring cause but very few point that out. Giving jobs to those who don't merit it is another cause, it's now a man-know-man something, but Nigerians won't see that as a cause of backwardness..

In terms of Education and health, those at the helm of affairs keep sending themselves and their children abroad for treatment and study, leaving the education and health sector here in a mess, yet you blame Religion..
In terms of good roads and electricity, they embezzle funds which should have been used to put these amenities in order, even though we often pay our taxes/dues as patriotic citizens, yet you blame Religion..
In political terms, money is paid to some chicken heads and they go about disturbing peaceful electoral processes, after the elections, most are forgotten and only some reasonable few are left to continue feeding from the hands of the so called leaders they have helped to rig elections, politicians who end up doing little or nothing throughout their tenure, yet you blame it on Religion...

I can go on and on cos the list is endless..

Keep blaming Religion.. You go see clear las las

OAM4J, Lalasticlala
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 04, 2019
Now.
I think I should go serious on this.

In Nigeria for example , religion cloud the heads of their believers not to think beyond their nose.

Nigerian Christians and Muslims alike believe whatever leadership in their country is instituted by god irrespective of how they emerge and shouldn't be questioned ; thereby giving these plunderers free will in their reign of terror over the country.

Nigeria religionists would rather give all they have to their pastors rather than fund research , charity and every noble course that uplifts humanity from poverty and strife.

They'd rather the Pastor have their tithe than raise the pay of their pauperized Gatekeeper .

Religion have kept us from making the right legislation and choices as some otherwise noble policies transcends on lines of redundant religious believes.

Boko Haram is currently killing for Religion.
Jos will still burn if someone cuss at Mohammed in faraway Scandinavia.
Igbo shops would be looted in Zamfara if they dare eat when others are fasting.

People are still lynch for their sexual convictions because they are regarded as religious abberations.

Evils are condoned because they are perpetrated by people of our own religious convictions.

It is Religion that makes us see Amaechi as a Thief and Tinubu - A saint.

We can start from here.

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 12:39pm On Aug 04, 2019
blizard44:
Now.

Now what?? Talk better na.. Are you for or against
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 04, 2019
Makschinchin:

Now what?? Talk better na.. Are you for or against

Your signature reveals a lot.
If I saw it , I would have passed grin

Now , don't brand me an atheist .
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 12:56pm On Aug 04, 2019
blizard44:

Your signature reveals a lot.
If I saw it , I would have passed grin

Now , don't brand me an atheist .

I didn't call you an atheist na, you weren't even among the people I had in mind when I composed that siggy.. I don't know you before now undecided.. But why did you say I shouldn't brand you an atheist
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 04, 2019
Makschinchin:

I didn't call you an atheist na, you weren't even among the people I had in mind when I composed that siggy.. I don't know you before now undecided.. But why did you say I shouldn't brand you an atheist
You no know say Person wey im goat loss , im neighbours soup go dey smell goat - goat for im nose?

For you to raise that question and coincidentally have that siggy connects a dot.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Jman06(m): 1:16pm On Aug 04, 2019
blizard44:
Now.

In Nigeria for example , religion cloud the heads of their believers not to think beyond their nose.

Nigerian Christians and Muslims alike believe whatever leadership in their country is instituted by god irrespective of how they emerge and shouldn't be questioned ; thereby giving these plunderers free will in their reign of terror over the country.

Nigeria religionists would rather give all they have to their pastors rather than fund research , charity and every noble course that uplifts humanity from poverty and strife.

They'd rather the Pastor have their tithe than raise the pay of their pauperized Gatekeeper .

Religion have kept us from making the right legislation and choices as some otherwise noble policies transcends on lines of redundant religious believes.

People are still lynch for their sexual convictions because they are regarded as religious abberations.

Evils are condoned because they are perpetrated by people of our own religious convictions.

We can start from here.
You just shared every damn thing I wanted to type on this subject!

kudos!

2 Likes

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 1:51pm On Aug 04, 2019
blizard44:
You no know say Person wey im goat loss , im neighbours soup go dey smell goat - goat for im nose?

For you to raise that question and coincidentally have that siggy connects a dot.

Honestly I don't get it.. I asked a question and I want those who think religion is the reason for our backwardness to explain better because I really don't believe such. I love it when people are honest with me, please if you have anything you want to tell me, be open to me and say so, thanks.
Just seeing this...

blizard44:
Now.

I honestly do not belong to these category you mentioned.. I like to call spade a spade. I am not in support of government embezzling public funds instead of building infrastructures to aid the masses. I won't give all I have to any pastor except it's God leading me to do so.. Some Christians fund research, charity etc.. Or haven't you heard of Churches assigning members to visit Motherless babies homes, prisons, hospitals etc with gift items

Please breakdown with examples.. Your grammar too much oo tongue tongue tongue Abeg, simplify

I need a muslim to explain this..

We can start from here.

Religion makes us see Amaechi as a Thief and Tinubu - A saint Honestly I'm hearing this for the first time.. Is it religion or tribalism? There's a difference o
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 1:57pm On Aug 04, 2019
Lemme call some folks to join us.. Please feel free to tag others:

albhagdadi, Okcornel, Jesusjnr, Capslocked, hahn, HopefuLlandlord, emeka1million, poweredcom, ogboato, (There are some I can't remember their monikers.. You can add them as well)

Let's hear from those who are for or against this issue, we need more light to be shed on it. We need an in-depth analysis here

NB: If I mentioned your name and you want me to take it down, please let me know
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by poweredcom(m): 2:16pm On Aug 04, 2019
Makschinchin:

albhagdadi, Okcornel, Jesusjnr, Capslocked, hahn, HopefuLlandlord, emeka1million, poweredcom, ogboato, (There are some I can't remember their monikers.. You can add them as well)

Let's hear from those who are for or against this issue, we need more light to be shed on it. We need an in-depth analysis here

NB: If I mentioned your name and you want me to take it down, please let me know

Wow this is the main topic I like

Religion is all lies especially the foreign ones Islam and Christianity

I prefer our local belief system than those myth used to sell us and brainwash us by the west

Religion is part of the problem I swear

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by OkCornel(m): 2:25pm On Aug 04, 2019
I personally don't think religion is the cause of backwardness in Nigeria...

For example, the ancient glorious Bini Empire had it's traditional belief systems and customs, that didn't hinder the progress of the Bini empire... likewise other ancient empires in Africa

Nigeria's problem runs deeper than religion.

Saudi Arabia for example is an Islamic country, they're not backwards like Nigeria...

Israel is still into Judaism, it does not hinder their progress...

See eh, religion or no religion, someone who wants to be selfish and wicked will find excuses to justify their actions... And that is the problem with majority of Nigerians...

For goodness sake are Botswana and Rwanda not also religious countries (with Christianity and Islam)?, why are they still doing better than Nigeria?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by earthsync(f): 4:44pm On Aug 04, 2019
Because it blocks people from thinking.

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2019
poweredcom:

I prefer our local belief system than those myth used to sell us and brainwash us by the west

Give explicit reasons na, this one is just on the surface.. If you say local belief system, do you mean the African Traditional Religion because that one self na religion sad

Pleas explain bera
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 9:02pm On Aug 04, 2019
poweredcom:

Give explicit reasons na, this one is just on the surface.. If you say local belief system, do you mean the African Traditional Religion because that one self na religion sad

Please explain better
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2019
OkCornel:
I personally don't think religion is the cause of backwardness in Nigeria...

For example, the ancient glorious Bini Empire had it's traditional belief systems and customs, that didn't hinder the progress of the Bini empire... likewise other ancient empires in Africa

Nigeria's problem runs deeper than religion.

Saudi Arabia for example is an Islamic country, they're not backwards like Nigeria...

Israel is still into Judaism, it does not hinder their progress...

See eh, religion or no religion, someone who wants to be selfish and wicked will find excuses to justify their actions... And that is the problem with majority of Nigerians...

For goodness sake are Botswana and Rwanda not also religious countries (with Christianity and Islam)?, why are they still doing better than Nigeria?

Thank you for your response sir..

earthsync:
Because it blocks people from thinking.

Like seriously?? How ma?

2 Likes

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Amicable24: 10:25pm On Aug 04, 2019
This is going to be interesting..

Nigeria + Religion = Backwardness Hell no

Nigeria + Bad/Selfish leaders = Backwardness √√√

Mind you, it isn't only Nigeria practicing religion..

United states have many Christians among them, yet they are moving forward..

Saudi Arabia has many Moslems, yet the country fine..

I believe this issue of "religion is the cause of Backwardness", "religion is our problem" is a satanic tool to distract many. Nigerians, Be Wise!!!

It's only those who don't think reasonably and practically that will say Religion is the cause if backwardness in our country.. SMH

I believe Nigeria will be great again someday sha, by God's grace, Amen

OLADEEGBU, what's your take on this?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by poweredcom(m): 7:43am On Aug 05, 2019
Makschinchin:

Give explicit reasons na, this one is just on the surface.. Of you say local belief system, do you mean the African Traditional Religion because that one self na religion sad

Pleas explain bera

African traditional religion will be more helpful to bring our senses back because let's assume you are appointing leaders to office and use juju to take an oath that if anyone steals public fund that person will be strikes by the gods of that person will run mad

I am telling you most Nigerian and African leaders won't dare to even be in politics oy those that have mind and good intentions will be and from there the nation n continent will grow

But these forign religion sworn people into office with Bible n qoran and they steal and loot noting happen to Dem the just still use d same books to justify their greed again
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 9:01am On Aug 05, 2019
poweredcom:

yes!
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 9:02am On Aug 05, 2019
Makschinchin:

following!
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by CodeTemplar: 12:48pm On Aug 05, 2019
blizard44:
Now.

Nigerian Christians and Muslims alike believe whatever leadership in their country is instituted by god irrespective of how they emerge and shouldn't be questioned ; thereby giving these plunderers free will in their reign of terror over the country
If these are true how come religious folks excel more than indifferent or less religious folks? Religion doesn't in any way make believers lazy mentally. It is specific doctrines within some religion or sect I can agree makes people lazy mentally. Doctrines like fate is Gods plan or Boko Haram.
How advanced were our forefathers who didn't practice religion? They were backwards and sold themselves for the inventions of religious folks.

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by CodeTemplar: 1:06pm On Aug 05, 2019
blizard44:

They'd rather the Pastor have their tithe than raise the pay of their pauperized Gatekeeper.
All the billions being handed to our public university system and largely managed by irreligious folks, what have they amounted to?
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by CodeTemplar: 1:13pm On Aug 05, 2019
poweredcom:

African traditional religion will be more helpful to bring our senses back because let's assume you are appointing leaders to office and use juju to take an oath that if anyone steals public fund that person will be strikes by the gods of that person will run mad

I am telling you most Nigerian and African leaders won't dare to even be in politics oy those that have mind and good intentions will be and from there the nation n continent will grow

But these forign religion sworn people into office with Bible n qoran and they steal and loot noting happen to Dem the just still use d same books to justify their greed again

How will they be affected when they have been fortified by it already?
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by paxonel(m): 1:25pm On Aug 05, 2019
Makschinchin:
I've heard this statement over and over again that religion is the cause of backwardness in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. I've tried so many times to picture if there is any truth in this, but I keep missing it. These days, people don't consider bad leadership in the country as a problem and result of present negative circumstances which we face, but blame it all on RELIGION!! And when you tell them to explain, 90% of them begin to throw tantrums at Church goers and Christians in general sad sad

If you are one of those who keep saying that religion is the cause of the problem, please come on in and tell us how.. The comment box is also opened to those who think otherwise..

Remain Blessed kiss
actually, religion was never the cause of any problem in Africa, tradition and ignorance were the cause.
But religion have solutions to these problems but they are not bringing the required solution.
Rather, they are adding to the problems.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 3:05pm On Aug 05, 2019
paxonel:
actually, religion was never the cause of any problem in Africa, tradition and ignorance were the cause.
But religion have solutions to these problems but they are not bringing the required solution.
Rather, they are adding to the problems.

Hmmmmm~~

Can you tell us how religion is adding to the problems??

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 3:08pm On Aug 05, 2019
Amicable24:
This is going to be interesting..

Nigeria + Religion = Backwardness Hell no

Nigeria + Bad/Selfish leaders = Backwardness √√√

Mind you, it isn't only Nigeria practicing religion..

United states have many Christians among them, yet they are moving forward..

Saudi Arabia has many Moslems, yet the country fine..

I believe this issue of "religion is the cause of Backwardness", "religion is our problem" is a satanic tool to distract many. Nigerians, Be Wise!!!

It's only those who don't think reasonably and practically that will say Religion is the cause if backwardness in our country.. SMH

I believe Nigeria will be great again someday sha, by God's grace, Amen

OLADEEGBU, what's your take on this?

Thanks for your addition.. Thanks too for using US and Saudi Arabia as case studies.. Religion is indeed not Nigeria's problem
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 3:14pm On Aug 05, 2019
poweredcom:

You're digressing from the topic..

Anyway, from what you mentioned up there, where do you think we will be today if we continued with the traditions of our fore fathers before the whites came?? Certainly we would have been a billion miles behind cry
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 3:16pm On Aug 05, 2019
CodeTemplar:
How will they be affected when they have been fortified by it already?

Exactly.. Using Ogun or such to swear may still not be the answer because these leaders can also fortify themselves of it before swearing and at the end, nothing will still happen to them.

Cc: Poweredcom
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by poweredcom(m): 4:34pm On Aug 05, 2019
Makschinchin:

You're digressing from the topic..

Anyway, from what you mentioned up there, where do you think we will be today if we continued with the traditions of our fore fathers before the whites came?? Certainly we would have been a billion miles behind cry

Well The whites even know that the religion they gave us is to use to conquer us and en slave our land and colonize us

Now the whites are not into religion anymore because they know it was all staged and setup

Now their new religion is technology and science and thy have used it to change the world

But over here we have no sense of reorientation we go to church six times a week and some Islam folks pray five times a day

In this 21st century imagine

Look at where the world is heading in tech and all Africa is entangled with is religious issues , the problem is the leaders of these religious institution they are not telling the masses the truth they are there for business abeg

Church na business big business

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by adoyi8: 5:11pm On Aug 05, 2019
Religion is the root cause of Nigeria's problem.

first of all, because of religion, 90% of Nigerian children that this life is just a test.
if you don't see a problem with teaching a child that this life is just test then you have a problem.

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by paxonel(m): 5:21pm On Aug 05, 2019
Makschinchin:

Hmmmmm~~

Can you tell us how religion is adding to the problems??
let me ask you this :

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

From your understanding, what did Christ meant by the kingdom of heaven here?

I will explain why i am asking this question.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by adoyi8: 5:34pm On Aug 05, 2019
It makes us give priority to unimportant things.
let me tell you a short story:

in late 1990s when Oyinbo parents were buying toys for their kids, we African children were building our toys by ourselves.
During the vacations, My friends and I will go search all the refuse dumps in Samaru, Zaria we I was born. We will look for used batteries and tins to build tin cars and other playthings. You need to see the kind of things we built then. We were little geniuses.

But our parents did not like it because they saw it as a waste of time. My father made me join alter servants association in my church and my muslim friends were forced to go to the Islamiyya. So, while I was made to cram the Catechism book, my muslim friends were cramming the 99 names of Allah instead of using the time to exploit our technical ingenuity.

Imagine all the time Nigerians spend in churches and mosques. If we had used it to build our human capacity, I don't think we will be importing toothpick today.

Today my child hood Hausa friends and I hate each other because of indoctrination that took its effect later.
Instead of coming together to build a better Nigeria like we did as kids, we only care whether the president is from our religion or not.
If you've been wondering who stole the African child's brain then don't worry because I just told you.

7 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Put On The Full Armour Of God / . / If Nothing Can Exist Without A Creator, So What Created God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.