Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? (1378 Views)

My Friend Resigned From FRSC For Farming, After 1 Year, I Was Surprised - Man / Osun Govt. Provides 15 Hectares Of Land For Commercial Farming / 114 Youths To Get 600 Hectares For Farming In Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by Agricnovice: 3:05pm On Feb 16, 2017
Hello Fam,
I have access to a piece of land beside a stream in Mararaba, Nassarawa State (close to Abj) for 1 to 2 years.
Size of land is 10Hctrs.
My plan is to plant water melon and pumpkin (ugu) on the land since I can use local irrigation on it.

Biggest problem: 1)keeping my cost low 2)everybody I have met claims to be an agric expert but knows nothing when I ask critical questions!.

I had negotiated with some people to clear the land manually but from the various stories, I think I m better off using a bulldozer (yeah yeah, it may destroy the top soil etc). Afterwards, plough and harrow (I need advice here).

Now to the matter:
1) Where can I rent a bulldozer close to Mararaba to clear 10hctrs. Please send contact and likely price if you have
2) How much and how long will it cost to plough and harrow the 10 hectrs? Pls send contact if you have.
3) Is my plan for water melon and ugu a good one? or do I need to rethink my plan?
4) Can I recruit a young agric expert (like a youth corper) who has hands on experience in farming to assist with advice.
5) My irrigation plan is to pump into a tank from the stream and then distribute to the farm using a pressure pump. Will this work on 10hctrs?
6) Will I be able to succeed using organic manure (animal dung) or should I just join everybody and throw in fertilizers?

Please any advice on these matters or any other advice will be welcome. I have been following your topics over the months and the stuff I ve learnt here is very helpful and invaluable.

Thank you all and keep up the good work all.
Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by alakara(m): 10:30pm On Feb 16, 2017
Agricnovice:
Hello Fam,
I have access to a piece of land beside a stream in Mararaba, Nassarawa State (close to Abj) for 1 to 2 years.
Size of land is 10Hctrs.
My plan is to plant water melon and pumpkin (ugu) on the land since I can use local irrigation on it.

Biggest problem: 1)keeping my cost low 2)everybody I have met claims to be an agric expert but knows nothing when I ask critical questions!.

I had negotiated with some people to clear the land manually but from the various stories, I think I m better off using a bulldozer (yeah yeah, it may destroy the top soil etc). Afterwards, plough and harrow (I need advice here).

Now to the matter:
1) Where can I rent a bulldozer close to Mararaba to clear 10hctrs. Please send contact and likely price if you have
2) How much and how long will it cost to plough and harrow the 10 hectrs? Pls send contact if you have.
3) Is my plan for water melon and ugu a good one? or do I need to rethink my plan?
4) Can I recruit a young agric expert (like a youth corper) who has hands on experience in farming to assist with advice.
5) My irrigation plan is to pump into a tank from the stream and then distribute to the farm using a pressure pump. Will this work on 10hctrs?
6) Will I be able to succeed using organic manure (animal dung) or should I just join everybody and throw in fertilizers?

Please any advice on these matters or any other advice will be welcome. I have been following your topics over the months and the stuff I ve learnt here is very helpful and invaluable.

Start with as little as an acre and expand as you grow.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by Agricnovice: 10:51am On Feb 20, 2017
Ok. thanks.
Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by EazyMoh(m): 1:32pm On Oct 24, 2019
Hello sir,

I hope your farm is doing well. We would really appreciate if you could share your experience especially answers to those powerful questions you have asked.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by Psalmy2cute(m): 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2019
Agricnovice:
Hello Fam,
Size of land is 10Hctrs.

Now to the matter:

You should rethink the plan of planting ugu..

You'll need 100,000m drip tape for 10hectres of land....
And this is alot of money

Since you're planting 10hectres and will be spending such large amount for irrigation.. I advice you substitute ugu for something more lucrative..

Above all.. it's best you start small like maybe 1 or half acre, if its successful then gradually scale up

... stay blessed, and I wish you success

1 Like

Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by Psalmy2cute(m): 3:38pm On Oct 24, 2019
You'll spend nothing less than 2.5m to irrigate 10hectres.. maybe even more.. pls note this is just for the drip tapes and no attachment involved. Why spend this amount of money just to plant ugu.. ??
Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by orlabass(m): 3:58pm On Oct 24, 2019
Start little since you don't have the experience,
soon you grow.
Agricnovice:
Hello Fam,
Size of land is 10Hctrs.

Now to the matter:

Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by stagger: 9:54pm On Oct 24, 2019
Agricnovice:
Hello Fam,
Size of land is 10Hctrs.

Now to the matter:

There is a bulldozer company on the way to Keffi. It is right after Uke and before Gora. Right on the road. You will see them on the right. Go there and make your inquiries.

Cost of ploughing is 30K per hectare in those parts. So unless you have N3million to dash those tractor crooks in that area, I would not advise it. Hello Tractor app can connect you with a bulldozer for 25k (ploughing) or 12.5K (harrowing).
Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by OiOi: 2:06pm On Oct 25, 2019
Psalmy2cute:
You'll spend nothing less than 2.5m to irrigate 10hectres.. maybe even more.. pls note this is just for the drip tapes and no attachment involved. Why spend this amount of money just to plant ugu.. ??
but the land is close to a stream
Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by stagger: 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2019
OiOi:

Drip tapes is a bloody waste of money. All he needs is a rain gun and suitable length of hose. That's all. He moves around the place with the rain gun.
Re: I Have 10 Hectares Of Land For Farming. Now What Next?? by Psalmy2cute(m): 4:41pm On Oct 25, 2019
OiOi:
The price i just gave you is for irrigation drip line.. there are other attachments you'll need to buy e.g mainline, connectors endplug etc

(1) (Reply)

Lowest Prices Evet:hardwood Charcoal-ayin/fingers. / Bitter Gourd / Why No Body Is Interested In Pineapple Farming.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.