Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? (13710 Views)

Boy Who Slept With A Girl He Met For The First Time Now Finds It Hard To Urinate / whi is smoking not Completely Banned / Is Smoking In The Public Against The Law In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by PurestBoy(m): 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2009
I suffer from similar case and was even thinking of posting such topic. I smoke a stick per second everyday and I'm more than heavy smoker, I do not like smoking but I just can't help do away with it, funny thin is that I smoke any available brand of cig, I have no choice.

Please help us with a better and faster way of quitting
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by afroil: 7:49pm On Dec 24, 2009
@Hothead,purestboy and other chain smokers,

why are u finding it difficult to stop smokin.i hav very very simple solutn 4 you pple.and it is just a simple prayer.every morning,afternoon and night b4 going to bed just pray 4 d cost of a stick of cigaratte to bcome N50,000($335) or even higher anywhere in d world especially in nigeria.

i have d full confident dat u pple will quit instantly if God answer d pray,it is a simple but highly effective solutn just give it a trial .
since all other solutn tried have failed,dis will never fail,am sure.this is a SURE-Solutn.
no nid to attend any class,or crack ur brain unnecessarily if u can do dis/

dont worry to pay me if it works it is a free service.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by afroil: 6:25pm On Dec 25, 2009
@Echo - bee,
You said nd i quote "just like Sex"

Are u a Sex Addict ?

if so nd u want d problem to b solved den reach me on 08028560237 for effective solution
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Rightworld(m): 11:15pm On Dec 25, 2009
PurestBoy:

I suffer from similar case and was even thinking of posting such topic. I smoke a stick per second everyday and I'm more than heavy smoker, I do not like smoking but I just can't help do away with it, funny thin is that I smoke any available brand of cig, I have no choice.

Please help us with a better and faster way of quitting
In spite of the involve in smoking cigarette, the number of cigarette smokers all over the world has not dropped considerably. Though several smokers claim to have been meaning to quit this habit, they just find it difficult. The fact is that after smoking for quite sometimes, quitting smoking will prove to be very hard, but not impossible. there's always way out for everything. For more tips on how you can permanently quit smoking, contact me through my email address.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by einstein1: 8:44pm On Dec 30, 2009
Quite often people make decisions to stop smoking but mere talk will not get you anywhere. I have used a method that makes one detest nicotine  for close associates. The method includes a product and affirmation. This method works very well, and gets 98% success rate. If you are interested in getting off smoking in the new year, you can call Einstein now on: 08033184658.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by supereagle(m): 5:53am On Jan 07, 2010
Read More ABOUT QUIT SMOKING HERE

[size=20pt]http://stopsmokingblueprints..com/[/size]
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Rightworld(m): 1:02am On Jan 18, 2010
Smokers may say that they will stop smoking in due time. But when really is the right time to stop smoking?
Don't they know the longer they prolong their addiction, the harder it shall be for them to quit it? Why waiting for tomorrow, when you are already a victim now? in waiting, you are just waiting for the consequences of your actions to become serious than it already is. Listen to what health practitioners are saying; take the brave attempt to quit smoking now.

For further tips on how you can perrnanently stop smoking, contact me through my email address.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by ogazi007(m): 1:51pm On Jan 19, 2010
I do not know especially weed.once you have started,you can only brake but hardly quit.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by selencious(f): 2:08pm On Jan 19, 2010
Nicotine

We all know cigarettes contain nicotine. Nicotine is a drug and your body craves it. Nicotine has the power to relax you and calm jittery nerves. It is highly addictive so it doesn’t take much for you to become dependent on it. You body comes to depend on the nicotine to stay relaxed and your brain will actually think you need it. So when you deprive yourself of it you begin to feel the symptoms of withdrawal. You may feel edgy, irritated and anxious. You may also feel unable to concentrate, frustrated, tired and hungry. Of course smoking a cigarette will vanquish all of these feelings and bring you back to a feeling of peace. No wonder it’s so hard to quit!

The Power of Nicotine

You can become physically dependent on nicotine after just a few weeks of regular smoking. When you try to quit smoking, your body goes into nicotine withdrawal. Your system reacts to the absence of nicotine with symptoms including:

* Irritability and impatience
* Hostility
* Anxiety
* Depression
* Headaches
* Fatigue
* Trouble sleeping
* Restlessness
* Difficulty concentrating
* Increase in appetite
* Decreased heart rate

EFFECTS OF SMOKING
Surely you've heard by now that smoking damages your health . If you already have one of the diseases listed below, you may be virtually certain that the cigarettes you have smoked contributed, perhaps greatly. Furthermore, you can also count on stabilizing or reversing the problems if you quit.

* Lung disease, lung cancer, emphysema -- these are RARE DISEASES in the absence of smoking.
* Heart disease, particularly diseases of the heart arteries. I have always felt that the American Lung and the American Cancer Societies have done a much better job than heart organizations in getting out their message about smoking. Smoking kills more people through its increase in heart attacks than it does with cancer or emphysema! Let's look at some of the cardiovascular risks:
* 30% of deaths due to heart attacks and coronary artery disease are due to smoking.
* The risk of a heart attack is increased six times in women and three times in men (this is at one pack per day)
* People who continue to smoke after a heart attack increase their risk by 25-50%
* The risks of stroke is markedly increased.
* Cancers other than lung cancer: Associations are noted with bladder, stomach, pancreas, esophagus, larynx, mouth, cervix.
* Peptic ulcer disease

The fact that smoking causes problems for the heart arteries is not surprising when you consider that smoking has been demonstrated to:

* Increase bad (LDL) cholesterol
* Lower good (HDL) cholesterol
* Increases insulin resistance
* Cigarettes are loaded with "free radicals" which "oxidize" the LDL cholesterol. Oxidized LDL is the very worst type of cholesterol.
* Directly accelerate the progression of the atherosclerotic plaque.
* Increase the heart rate and the blood pressure
* Increase fibrinogen, a protein involved in the formation of clots
* Increase the "stickiness" of platelets, the blood elements involved in clotting
* Impairs the responsiveness of the cells lining the blood vessels.
* Makes the carotid arteries thicker and other arteries stiffer.
* Causes spasm of the heart arteries.

Quitting smoking is not easy. It may take more than one try to quit. There are millions of people who quit smoking for good. It takes a lot of will power and determination to kick the addiction. Just pile that determination and the results will be visible soon.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by ariwayoson(m): 2:19pm On Jan 19, 2010
it is takes God grace to smoking
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by otukpo(f): 2:25pm On Jan 19, 2010
And who says he can't quit smoking?

Nothing is impossible with determination.

i have seen smokers who quit.

Good u have realised it is not good for u and want to quit,
then work hard to quit.

it only take a lot of determination and discipline.

But u need help.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by idifu(m): 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2010
it is not easy to quit smoking cuz i use to smoke like crazy, but i had to stop it cuz d doc advised me to, it wasn't easy at all, the appetite for smoking keeps coming, but i believe if you are determined and got your mind made up you are gonna give up smoking no matter what.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by cammyjr(m): 4:26pm On Jan 19, 2010
Dude jst set a target for yourself nd believe me you wuld overcome it. I smoke bt I am nt addicted to it. I'm yet to know anything I m addictd to Lol
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by uchkochi(m): 4:36pm On Jan 19, 2010
Nothing is impossible with God,it takes work, you have your part to play while God has His to play.Once you are ready to be free God is ready to deliver you.I pray for your deliverance right now through the blood of Jesus.You are free from this stronghold. But to stay free, you need to cut off from your friends that smoke, you must not drink too because drinking and smoking are step brothers of the same father,the devil.You must not be found in a club or bar.

You must also stop listening to worldly music because they are all stimulants. To be truly free you must drop anything that looks like smoking. Then you must labor to get closer and closer to God. For further insight you can request for my message on addictions by sending me a mail on,(gospelbymail@omegacyberministry.org)

pls note that SMOKING IS NOT JUST A HABIT IT IS A SPIRIT

OMEGA CYBER MINISTRY
+2348052773865
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by PurestBoy(m): 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2010
Is not easy, because I drink beer everyday and I won't feel comfortable if I don't smoke while drinking especially when I finish eating, all what come to my mind is smoking. GOD PLS DELIVER ME
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by harakiri(m): 4:45pm On Jan 19, 2010
Wow,

And i was beginning to think that Guinness probably owes me a title for chain smoking.Seems there are others who have it worse than me.I've been smoking since i was 18 years old and i'll be 30 in march 2010 (that sucks. . .12 freaking years).I've tried quitting more than a few times and the longest was for 18 months (2005/2006).It has gotten to a point where i smoke at least two packets of Benson each day. . .if i'm drinking, it could be more.Alcohol doesn't even do much for me anymore.It has gotten to a point where if left alone, i can consume a bottle of red or black label on my own.Sometimes, it's not even enough and i have to drive out to the mart to get a bottle of Elliot to "continue" from where i stopped.Beer and stout are child's game compared to what i drink now although i have kept off alcohol for some weeks now (after i started slowing down since middle of last year) and I've slowed down from the cigarettes.I've smoked 12 this morning, took some hours break (which is strange) and as i'm typing this, i haven't smoked for three hours and i feel weird.Normally, i should have typed a long "MEMO" by now but my brain is so "slow".Can't even see straight not to talk of typing fast.Need to go get a pack. . .brb
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by gr8child(m): 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2010
I started smoking when I was 17 in 1997 and stopped middle of last year. Before then I had stopped smoking but no longer than a month. Now January 2010 makes it my 7th month without a cigarette. I did it without nicotine patches or any othe system, but simply stopped cold turkey.

Yes there were periods immediately after I stopped when I felt irritable and was dying for a smoke, but I distracted myself by doing other things. The important thing to know is that the urge to light up usually goes away after a couple of minutes. The trick, really, is having strong will and remaining focused on your goal. Cigarettes are merely crutches and only end up making you feel worse than the thing that pushes you to smoke one. They will make you feel ill and leave you operating at less than your full potential for as long as you smoke them. The idea is to remain focused. I assure you that quitting for only a month will reduce your urge to smoke to negligible levels.

While they say that an ex-smoker will never get over the urge to light up a cigarette as long as he/she lives, I don't find this to be the case. When offered a cigarette by friends who still smoke (those who haven't stopped smoking will resent the fact that you've stopped, no matter what they say), I realise that the only thing that can compel me to light up at that point is the pressure to appear "cool" and not any nicotine urge.

Ultimately my point is that, despite what anyone will tell you, cigarette smoking, though slightly difficult, is indeed possible to be stopped without resorting to nicotine patches but merely by internal strength of will. It is certainly easier than buying petrol these days. I commend your effort and wish you luck.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by harakiri(m): 5:01pm On Jan 19, 2010
gr8child:

I started smoking when I was 17 in 1997 and stopped middle of last year. Before then I had stopped smoking but no longer than a month. Now January 2010 makes it my 7th month without a cigarette. I did it without nicotine patches or any othe system, but simply stopped cold turkey.

Yes there were periods immediately after I stopped when I felt irritable and was dying for a smoke, but I distracted myself by doing other things. The important thing to know is that the urge to light up usually goes away after a couple of minutes. The trick, really, is having strong will and remaining focused on your goal. Cigarettes are merely crutches and only end up making you feel worse than the thing that pushes you to smoke one. They will make you feel ill and leave you operating at less than your full potential for as long as you smoke them. The idea is to remain focused. I assure you that quitting for only a month will reduce your urge to smoke to negligible levels.

While they say that an ex-smoker will never get over the urge to light up a cigarette as long as he/she lives, I don't find this to be the case. When offered a cigarette by friends who still smoke (those who haven't stopped smoking will resent the fact that you've stopped, no matter what they say), I realise that the only thing that can compel me to light up at that point is the pressure to appear "cool" and not any nicotine urge.

Ultimately my point is that, despite what anyone will tell you, cigarette smoking, though slightly difficult, is indeed possible to be stopped without resorting to nicotine patches but merely by internal strength of will. It is certainly easier than buying petrol these days. I commend your effort and wish you luck.

The bolded part above can only work if you smoke recreationally.If there are stress factors that force you to smoke, then it will take a whirlwind,a tornado and a reaper from hell to scare you out of lighting another stick when those stress factors hit you again.I don't smoke coz of friends. . .hell, I HAVE CUT OFF AN ARMY OF FRIENDS,changed my phone numbers,location (that's another story grin).
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by franko2: 5:04pm On Jan 19, 2010
Odexmoney:

Before you can quit smoking,you have to understand so important facts and what are this fates?The reason why you are a smoker it can be as a result of your Nature or nurture.Dont misunderstand me my friend.

Let me break it down for you to understand properly

1.Nature : You inherited the habit from either parents.

2.Nurture : The environment you found yourself.Maybe you smoke cos all of your friends smokes and you want to belong to their click and before you know it you become addicted.

less i forget you can also be fixated according to Sigmund Freud he stated that a man live is surrounded by is libido.

jestertech:

I think willpower is the only way.

PurestBoy:

Is not easy, because I drink beer everyday and I won't feel comfortable if I don't smoke while drinking especially when I finish eating, all what come to my mind is smoking. GOD PLS DELIVER ME

Na wa! What can i say? I used to smoke (and drink - fall in gutter, they'll bring me home from party pissed and even stoned!), then, i think i was like between 17 and 19. I went on to smoke most of my adult life, until a coupla years ago, when ma daughter was getting to 16/17ish, i was really embarassed to face my children smoking, because i used to basket-mouth to them about igbo smokers and drunkards, meanwhile, i was guilty as hell!

Eventually, i decided one day, this matter don go reach, i no go smoke again, overnite, i stopped it, mind you, i only smoked a mix of weed n tobacco with weed being like 90% of it. Maybe thats what made it so easy for me to do, it wasnt easy to contemplate doing it though. It was easier to do is what i mean.

So, i suspect, you simply need to set your mind to it and it should be possible (definitely not easy though!). Come on guys, face your demon and, face it down.

Make sure you are very aware and conscious of what you're trying to do, especially that first week, and i think the first 3 days is the hardest, the rest is easy. However, it will be very easy to return to it, even months later. But, dont despair if it happens, just do it again, over and over, is how i was able to conquer my demon permanently.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by drlizzy(f): 7:43pm On Jan 19, 2010
its quite difficult but its not impossible

I came across this ebook i will like to share with anyone interested.Reach me on chisomonu@yahoo.com with the subject ebook
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Nonnyl(m): 7:45pm On Jan 19, 2010
Swagger niga dey go. Nothing do u my gee.

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by billgatexp(m): 8:35pm On Jan 19, 2010
its not as hard as u think, just a matter of determination and that solves it, make up ur mind and avoid gathering of smokers, works wella
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by FunkyDany: 11:21pm On Jan 19, 2010
Jesus is the man that can deliver you from smoking, just come closer to him and give Him ur totality with a sincere heart and go for deliverance in order to be delivered from shackles of smoking. Make a choice now before it is too late, Jesus is Lord.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by FunkyDany: 11:25pm On Jan 19, 2010
Jesus is the medicine you need for you to be freed from the power of smoking. Give your life to Him now and you will be delivered from the shackles of smoking. Make achoice now before it is too late.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by gidson12(m): 11:32pm On Jan 19, 2010
when u where influenced into it, shebi u dey look urelf has correct guy maybe as a big boy then, now u wan stop yeye thing like u, i guess many ppl told u then before u got urself addicted to it to stop!, maybe u look them as gew men, now u wan quit because u don begin see reactions and health problems 4 ur body, u better carry ur own cross urself dont disturb ppl with the problems u brought onto urself, rubish
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by kvolander: 1:59am On Jan 20, 2010
@ POSTER
i BELIEVE YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.

MY FATHER SMOKED WHEN HE WAS ALIVE BUT ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HELPED HIM TO STOP WAS THAT HE NOTICED THAT NONE OF HIS FOUR SONS EVER SMOKE (TILL TODAY, NEITHER I NOR MY BROTHERS HAVE TASTED CIGARETTE). FOR A LONG TIME, HE WONDERED WHAT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT AND SAW THAT AS A MIRACLE IN OUR FAMILY.

The lesson here is that one of the best way is to spend time with your non-smoker friends, particularly the very nice ones.
The other thing I'll advise is to keep off from activities that may tempt you into smoking (only you can tell this).

Also, You have to remain very determined that you want to stop.
If you are a Christian, get very active with church activities to keep your mind off smoking.
Finally, don't stop making more research (a lot on internet) on ways you can stop because this will act as a form of reminder to you.

Good luck.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Chikweonyeze: 7:44am On Jan 20, 2010
boy d truth is that u hv t make up ur mind.i hv smoked 4 over 12 yrs but i hv just put a stop first of this yr.above all u must hv a well power and praxyer t win d urge.ok.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by KMTee(f): 8:23am On Jan 20, 2010
@Poster, u must be determined and prayerful, ask God to forgive and help u out
and whenever u feel like smoking, always lick tom-tom and other mints, with time
u will find urself delivered from the yoke of the devil, May God help u.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by lepacious: 9:42am On Jan 20, 2010
My brother, pray about it . It's no child's play oh. I got addicted to eating local chalk for almost 20 years. I have been clean for more than six months and it has been a battle.

I try to chew gum when d urge arises. Whenever i am near a market when i can buy some its like there's a voice that keeps telling me to go get some.

I'm always chewing gum that my boss had to ask me why and i explained to her and she told me she too had had the same problem but has been clean for a year.

Hang in there and be determined.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Emmyk(m): 10:59am On Jan 20, 2010
When you (smokers) are Pre-occupied with thought that You Would die the next day,U QUITE!! Or u be lik d president? That how he enjoyed his life as a Governor,now see Yáwá. Quite smoking ur Fuc***g life outta your ass!!!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Nobody: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2010
The most effective smoking cessation method so far is called Hypnotherapy.  How does hypnotherapy help : It all boils down to one simple fact:

When someone gives up smoking, they have lost a habit which they may have had for a long time,  when we lose something, we feel bad, unless we are adequately compensated for our loss.

This is what hypnotherapy can do for you.  Hypnotherapy can compensate you for the 'loss' of your smoking habit.

Hypnotherapy, quite simply, doesn’t much make you stop smoking, it just lets you be a non-smoker, and non-smokers have no desire to smoke in the first place.

I'll advice you seek hypnotherapists online and see what can be done to help you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See How To Naturally Cure Whitlow; Causes, Symptoms And Natural Remedy. / COVID-19 Update For December 10 2020 In Nigeria / Cod Liver Oil And Moringa Leaf Powder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.