Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) (49485 Views)

NAFDAC Bans Sniper Insecticide In Open Markets, Supermarkets In Nigeria / Agriculture Add Packaging To Your Business And Start Supply Supermarkets / In View (pics): Small Scale Garri Processing Factory At Ijebu Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by loomer: 4:23pm On Feb 19, 2017
curiousmind11:

I guess you're either the importer of this garri or the officer that passed this through the border. Do Indians eat Garri?

People patronizing these goods that we have comparative advantage are part of our problems in this country.

This is sad!

Your question make me believe say that thing wasn't imported, they just package am so e fit sell at higher price
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by morereb10: 4:23pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonofLuci:
What's wrong with Indian Gari? Ayahm not understanding

How will u understand?
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by inourcare: 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2017
Can We Stop The Importation By Not Buying It?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by princemedico: 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2017
This is so annoying, some people will even buy it with pride and brag about it.
It goes beyond this, every Nigerian should be conscious of the origin of what they buy (especially things we can produce) because it directly or indirectly affects the economy, not just to sit down and complain.

Even those that buy Oral B toothpaste are killing the economy, something that can be easily made here, our agencies allow P&G import that nonsense and sell to us when we have even better options.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by anonimi: 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonnie10:
Did anyone notice where on the pack it says 500g = 1.1 pounds. To show how fake it is

Stick to what you know, sir.
Simple google of 500 grammes to pounds would have saved you this public embarrassment of swagger in ignorance.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS568US569&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=500+grams+to+pounds

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4160990_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Btruth: 4:25pm On Feb 19, 2017
Garri that we have almost everywhere within SE/SW/SS and some middle belt state is now something that is been imported?

Why won't there be scarcity of dollar($)?

My people die because they lack wisdom.... bible quotation!

......anyway, could be that it was produce here sha by an Indian company. don't let me be too harsh with my judgement.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by gqboyy(m): 4:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
Shame!!
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Jabioro: 4:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
This is very uncalled for, ministry of finance, agriculture, and whoever in NAFDAC approved the the the product need to go for it, custom that released need to go for it, the importer get to fine. the supposed get ban.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 19, 2017
Even the President don't patronize made in Nigeria health facilities, the very rich don't send their kids to Nigerian schools . i won't be surprised if we import roads from other countries.

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Btruth: 4:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:
Cassava is on import prohibited list. I wonder how garri then enter into our country.
A bi? ,

.....anyway, same way those guns (pump actions) were cleared in through the port by the corrupt customs officers nii jare.

Nigeria, we will never learn our lesson.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by zikter(m): 4:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonofLuci:
what is wrong is that, many people, may be including you will be shouting about naira dollar exchange. figure it out.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Orpe7(m): 4:32pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonofLuci:

Even the age of tech some peoplehave refused to have sense

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by 4everGrand(m): 4:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
Indians...a horrible set of people. They have this 'master' mentality wherever they go, treating and talking to Nigerians with contempt. Except I see beforehand one who is sensible, I do him right but default mode is hostility to Indians.

And to think that someone doesn't understand how absurd this 'Garri from India' news is, one can conclude that individual is a factory worker in an Indian company.

God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by fasterwell(m): 4:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:

Alot is wrong with it.
Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava. How on earth should we be importing gari into our market? We are not encouraging our industry to grow at all. Umudike and IITA should have better technologies for the processing of cassava into gari than importing from India.

If i hear say naija na largest producer of cassava ehn u go tell me why we dey import fuel and kerosene when crude oil full naija.

A small cup of garri is N50. Abeg give me the address so i go tell my mama to buy wey we chop this evening

Wetin concern me. Garri na garri

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by dcncorneils: 4:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
is .dis garri or sawdust? . I just dey ask ni ooo., mean no harm
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by BetaThings: 4:35pm On Feb 19, 2017
dragonking2:
All thanks to Buhari the dullard
Even the flood of 2012 was caused by Buhari

Seun should not allow JSS students to post
Nigeria was sold to Chinese and Indians within the last 2 years?
The Chinese awarded contracts to "remodel" airports were engaged by Buhari?

You need to face your JSS3 exam squarely

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by BetaThings: 4:36pm On Feb 19, 2017
Malawian:

deal with "herdsmen" first, before garri importers
Why can the two not go hand in hand?
Or must we deal with Boko Haram before throwing out kidnappers?
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 19, 2017
`
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by cliffordbally: 4:47pm On Feb 19, 2017
Indian,s don't produce cassava, that is just a brand trying to make more money than what ordinary they will make if they print made in Nigeria on it.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by kwajahafiz(m): 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2017
Indians do not eat garri...so imagine the manner of additives and what not that could find its way into these
Most likely "plastic garri's".
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Folksyharry(m): 4:50pm On Feb 19, 2017
This is totally unacceptable. Even garri?
Why would any Nigerian even allow imported garri to be in supermarket?
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by lawani: 4:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
To industrialize garri production is hard, mainly because of transportation costs. So small holders continue to control unlike vegetable oil which has been taken over by refineries refining PKO, even refineries make palmoil nowadays. Small holders are still there but are being cleared off gradually. In Malaysia, palm oil is their industry. Refineries, chemical plants, bio diesel etc.

I dont think India can grow cassava but if they can, it can hardly be economical to produce garri in India and sell here. I doubt it. They would rather grow cassava and use for animal feed or sell to the Chinese who use it to produce fuel grade ethanol. India can also use it for that. Note that the Chinese are ready to buy USD 50 billion cassava per annum but our people dont want to sell at the price they want to buy because there is higher demand at higher price locally. We use cassava for food. Its staple food here but in the case of India, they would sell to the Chinese if they can grow it instead of shipping garri here. Its easy and cheap to cultivate.

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by obyrich(m): 4:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:
This is sincerely an absurdity of monumental proportion and a shame. Our government and regulatory agencies (if they still exist) should cover their faces in shame. I would like to ask: how much were you paid in bribe? Is this how far we are mentally bankrup? we are indeed in a big mess in this nation. Can you imagine imported garri from India now selling in shops in Nigeria and NAFDAC approve this?
Habaaaaaa Gari again? So we finally have consigned our dear country to a dumping ground for all forms of Asian mindless madness. Nigeria is the worlds largest producer of cassava for crying out loud but here we are shamelessly displaying Indian made garri not corn flakes on our shelves. Do we still have the Customs service, do we still have NAFDAC and other such regulatory agencies. This is indeed a shame, that must be condemned by all well meaning, patriotic and passionate Nigerians. We do hope that if need be these government agencies who look the other way when this poorly produced products are hauled into our nation should get set to meet Nigerians on the street in hot protest. We think that it should now be enough of this broad day light rape of our economy and our collective wealth as a nation.
In the same token, we call out on Nigerian to not just condemned this shameful act but to match such condemnation with a clear statement in action refusing to purchase such foreign made goods that Nigeria has better potential to produce. This call has become important because a great deal of Nigerians have a funny penchant for goods produced outside the shores of Nigeria even if these goods are substandard, and pose obvious threats to our health and well being. It is instructive to note that today the WHO ranks Nigeria so low on some key health indices, that our dear Nation lags behind almost all much smaller African nations.
Dear country men and women, here is a frantic and heartfelt call to redeem what is left of our national pride. Please may we all rise to condemn the importation of garri of all thing. Please let's rebroadcast this on all meddium of mass reach - ELECTRONIC and PRINT, until it arrives the corridors of decision making in this country

Adeniyi Sola Bunmi
Executive Director
Natural Nutrient Limited
I believe you have a union. If you don't have then form one. Engage the media guys. Nigeria is already sold out to Asians ( Indians, Chinese and Lebanese). Sahara reporters should swing into action. Expose the NAFDAC officials who licensed it. I weep for Nigeria.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by beckytunde(f): 4:56pm On Feb 19, 2017
J
[Grace&Gladness Coconut OIL] is good,have a look at it! https://mobile.facebook.com/GandGVirginCoconutoil/

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by BetaThings: 4:57pm On Feb 19, 2017
anonimi:

Let us see the intelligent post first
and then you can talk about another person's head
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by kayzat: 4:58pm On Feb 19, 2017
Blakjewelry:
the cassava travel out of naija it only came back preaching change

Don't be surprised if that cassava never travel out of the shore of Nigeria. they can process everything here in Nigeria and put made in India label on it.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 5:00pm On Feb 19, 2017
Whoever is involved in this deserves death penalty.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by raymexx: 5:00pm On Feb 19, 2017
Lasskeey:
cool
Mugabe will b like WTF!
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by BetaThings: 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2017
allrightsir:
Firstly why is he/she blaming NAFDAC AND Customs. Is the garri unsafe? Is Garri banned? NafDacs job is to make sure food sold in Nigeria is safe for consumption, Customs job is to make sure banned items don't get in. So again I ask you,..... is garri banned?

Beyond prohibition, other countries use all manners of stratagem to discourage imports
The Chinese make it difficult for Nigerians to export to their country
We need to reciprocate

allrightsir:

As far as National shame, let me point you in the direction of imported petrol and diesel. I think you should ficus your energies more on the big national disgrace which is spending over half of your forex importing petroleum products.

We have bigger fish to worry about than imported garri.
If we cannot tackle the big fish, we should not add the small fry to our problems
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by oneolajire(m): 5:03pm On Feb 19, 2017
Pls where did you find it? Let's bombard the store/supermarket to stop the rubbish
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Mrjo(m): 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:

Alot is wrong with it.
Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava. How on earth should we be importing gari into our market? We are not encouraging our industry to grow at all. Umudike and IITA should have better technologies for the processing of cassava into gari than importing from India.
i think we hav people that patronise our garri so stop ranting b/cus @the end price and masses will decide
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by BetaThings: 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2017
adecz:
The nonsense economic policies of this govt has so warped up everything that, ppl import products, pay shipping & duties but still make profit..

Explain how the economic policies of Buhari have turned things upside down

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Is Bush Rat, Alligator, Grasscutter, Rabbit And Reptile TRAP / Ekpeye Fisherman Kills A Manatee In Rivers (Photos) / Latvia's Iconic Blue Cows (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.