Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions (22308 Views)

Hameed Ali: Imported Rice Is Poisonous - Customs Boss / Pictures Taken At Jollof Festival In Lagos / I Bought A Paint Of Garri N1200 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by dman4mdmoon(m): 11:56am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Very stupid..that place is an Indian supermarket for God sake and TRS Gari is for Indians ..I buy a lot of TRS products like cummin and turmeric from that same place and I have done so for ages .

So because the supermarket is Indian supermarket means that the products sold there should not be registered in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by annamaria: 12:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

.. well the recipe for the tea is one teaspoon of turmeric, half teaspoon of black pepper , half teaspoon of cumin in a glass of warm water then add some honey for taste ..I drink it first thing in the morning and last thing at night .

Just what I was looking for. Great wink

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Onegai(f): 12:04pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Very stupid..that place is an Indian supermarket for God sake and TRS Gari is for Indians ..I buy a lot of TRS products like cummin and turmeric from that same place and I have done so for ages .

TRS spices are sold at several places, not just Indian supermarkets. Even Ebeano supermarkets sell some of their goods. So they cannot say it is only for Indians and Arabs. I cannot Nigerian goods at mainstream stores outside the country unless I go to a store catering to African or world market. We should do the same.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by ephi123(f): 12:04pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You can get good Indian spices in any Spar outlet

Okay. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by pat1612(m): 12:06pm On Feb 21, 2017
bumi10:
Recall that a tweet first caught Nigerians attention on Sunday 19th February 2017 which was about a certain pack of Imported Garri with the source given as India, which was found on the shelve of a Nigerian supermarket. Now, the tweet have reached the stables of Nigeria Health Minister, Prof. Isaac Adewole.

According to Prof. Isaac Adewole, NAFDAC have jumped into investigations and proper actions will be taken on this
"We knew we had work to do, and Monday 20th we did. Our actions and findings are outlined below: (Updates via @NafdacNigeria)"

1. NAFDAC Officers visited the Supermarket in Ikoyi today
2. 26 packets of 500mg each of the products were seized for analysis
3. The product has no NAFDAC number
4. The product is said to be from Ghana but packaged in UK
5. The Management of the Supermarket have been invited for further discussion in our Lagos office
Investigation continues.

See what people are saying below...

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/02/update-on-imported-india-garri-health.html

cc lalasticlala mynd44 missyb3 dominique

Ok lets accept that it is not registered with nafac and should be banned from importation.
But let me ask you a simple question we all buy bread on daily basis and its a food item regulated by nafdac so have you ever noticed a mfg date or expiry date on it.
I personally have bought bread that doesnt hv expiry on it from shop even i tweeted on nafdac handle on twitter a long back but without response from them.
so instead worrying about a garri which is sold in supermarket which less than 1% of public will buy why cant we focus on daily bread which millions of nigerians buy every dayregulate it where u r needed most

Just my view no offence intended

2 Likes

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by mickey05: 12:08pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

And it is alright not having a NAFDAC Number? #Wehdonesir
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 12:12pm On Feb 21, 2017
Onegai:

TRS spices are sold at several places, not just Indian supermarkets. Even Ebeano supermarkets sell some of their goods. So they cannot say it is only for Indians and Arabs. I cannot Nigerian goods at mainstream stores outside the country unless I go to a store catering to African or world market. We should do the same.

How many Nigerian would buy Indian spice except curry ? Thos Indian stores sell all this stuff really really cheap when compared to Ebeano and Eleanor doesn't have the whole TRS range like fenugreek seeds ,coriander et al ..well I have been a TRS fan for ages and would be sad if Nigerian high handedness and hypocrisy kills that product line in Nigeria
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 12:13pm On Feb 21, 2017
mickey05:

Ask Nafdac why? I think Nafdac registration is too expensive for some fringe product ..
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 12:14pm On Feb 21, 2017
pat1612:

Ok lets accept that it is not registered with nafac and should be banned from importation.
But let me ask you a simple question we all buy bread on daily basis and its a food item regulated by nafdac so have you ever noticed a mfg date or expiry date on it.
I personally have bought bread that doesnt hv expiry on it from shop even i tweeted on nafdac handle on twitter a long back but without response from them.
so instead worrying about a garri which is sold in supermarket which less than 1% of public will buy why cant we focus on daily bread which millions of nigerians buy every dayregulate it where u r needed most

Just my view no offence intended

God bless you
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by San2ski(m): 12:23pm On Feb 21, 2017
This is how Malaysia take remove our hand from palm oil
If they remove our hand from Garri now, they have finally cut our hand.
Soon that company will buy a NAFDAC number, and like petrol, they will be refining our Garri overseas and will be importing it into Nigeria again.
Chai angry
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by San2ski(m): 12:26pm On Feb 21, 2017
mickey05:

I guess the Garri you eat everyday has NAFDAC number.

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by MutantMetahuman: 12:29pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

If you use that store you will know they don't bring in much of that garri and belive me no Nigerian will ever buy that Gari..
nigerians will settle for anything foreign after proper guerilla marketing.

How do you think nigeria rice market fell to foreign ones.

All they have to do is send people to the street to market indian garri indirectly like they did rice without u knowing.
They just tell mumu nigerians that indian gari is highly medicinal, it contains some vitamins plus its neater and cheaper than nigerian garri then watch them scamper for indian garri at the expense of the economy.

The production of garri will eventually stop, then we will start shipping cassava to india and they give us garri.

That's how you lost palm oil production to malaysia

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2017
MutantMetahuman:
nigerians will settle for anything foreign after proper guerilla marketing.

How do you think nigeria rice market fell to foreign ones.

All they have to do is send people to the street to market indian garri indirectly like they did rice without u knowing.
They just tell mumu nigerians that indian gari is highly medicinal, it contains some vitamins plus its neater and cheaper than nigerian garri then watch them scamper for indian garri at the expense of the economy.

The production of garri will eventually stop, then we will start shipping cassava to india and they give us garri.

That's how you lost palm oil production to malaysia

Lol ..hmmmmm
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by hedgesfun(m): 12:41pm On Feb 21, 2017
most of us are just here crying stupid wolves when it's not necessary, if we are talking about the product not having nafdac registration it's understandable but for Christ's sake these people see our stupidity, as in we re not ready to go to farming, our government is not ready to provide a level playing environment, and they see we need these products, why won't they seize the opportunity and make money out of our stupidity as a nation. Fellow Nigerians let's work on ourselves and stop condemning things when we don't have an alternative to it.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by franksam2009: 1:12pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:
what you just said doesn't make sense, so because its India supermarket, they are free to bring what ever they like in to the country?
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by wasuka14(m): 1:21pm On Feb 21, 2017
Too often will allow our emotional thinking to control our critical reasoning. Is gari ijebu and other nigerian food stuffs not available in foreign countries such as; usa, london, italy, saudi etc.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by lollarj(f): 1:40pm On Feb 21, 2017
franksam2009:
what you just said doesn't make sense, so because its India supermarket, they are free to bring what ever they like in to the country?

its run by Indians. That doesnt make it "indian supermarket" abi? Isnt it that supermarket on Cameron road again ?
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by bitingcool: 2:24pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I pity you. If Indians cannot buy Nigerian garrison then they can get out. A product is uncertified and harming our local manufacturers and you're defending it. Your reasoning has gone to bingo
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:
What is this one saying? So we should allow all foreigners run their supermarket & sell their things ? and you think we are helping our economy?
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 2:31pm On Feb 21, 2017
Mekwen:
What is this one saying? So we should allow all foreigners run their supermarket & sell their things ? and you think we are helping our economy?

The person that destroyed your economy is in London go and meet him there and leave my mention alone
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 2:34pm On Feb 21, 2017
bitingcool:

I pity you. If Indians cannot buy Nigerian garrison then they can get out. A product is uncertified and harming our local manufacturers and you're defending it. Your reasoning has gone to bingo

How many times will I tell you that Gari doesn't feel or taste like Nigerian gari...Nobody brought the gari for you so why are y'all acting like a fews packs of Indian gari is the one that made Nigerian economy bad
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Mrjo(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2017
steppin:

So? It's not registered under NAFDAC.
hw many garri in nigeria are registered?
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Cmanforall: 3:50pm On Feb 21, 2017
ephi123:

Even if it's for consumption by Indians, it doesn't mean food items being imported into the country shouldn't be vetted.
Afterall even to enter Canada from UK, a basic fruit like apple is seized - that's from one developed nation to another, not to mention whole food items like these from India.
It should have passed through screening(maybe NAFDAC) before being sold in Nigerian market. But I assure you that those products will pass the quality control (as they sell their products globally)... The challenge will be if it comes out cheaper than the garri in our daily markets. Therefore government and farmers need to come up with measures to reduce the price of garri, otherwise more people will patronize TRS
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by ephi123(f): 4:05pm On Feb 21, 2017
Cmanforall:

It should have passed through screening(maybe NAFDAC) before being sold in Nigerian market. But I assure you that those products will pass the quality control (as they sell their products globally)... The challenge will be if it comes out cheaper than the garri in our daily markets. Therefore government and farmers need to come up with measures to reduce the price of garri, otherwise more people will patronize TRS

Fair point.

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by steppin: 5:15pm On Feb 21, 2017
Mrjo:
hw many garri in nigeria are registered?
You need to hear yourself. Are those ones imported? Don't just argue because you want to.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by senitorspeaker(m): 6:14pm On Feb 21, 2017
unclezuma:
Huh
Bro abeg I don search for this pic of dis little boy wen dey drink mango tire for net I n c abeg u fit send am to me on whatsapp? Or email? Thanks
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Hayman(m): 6:48pm On Feb 21, 2017
Where is D'banj's koko garri

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 21, 2017
Nigerians!!!
They dumped our D'banj's koko garri & went for India's garri? angry
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by ofwest47(m): 7:13pm On Feb 21, 2017
I am suspecting foul play in this garri palaver, haters and wailers like IPOB , (Independent People Of Bia fraud) might have repackaged this Nigerian garri to discredit the government on all efforts being undertaken to see that we are self sufficient in food production because India was never known to be large cassava producing country like Nigeria.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by mikolo80: 7:50pm On Feb 21, 2017
Rtopzy:
They've swung into action, Nigeria is not a dumping zone for garbage. Nice one.
how is garri garbage
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by mikolo80: 7:51pm On Feb 21, 2017
Tazmode:
Good good

That Ikoyi supermarket should be searched again for any other substandard products. If it can house unauthorized and unacceptable garri, then there may be other fake goods

In short, lock the place up until the search is complete
who authorised the garri you eat normally wey fly de perch on top
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by mikolo80: 8:07pm On Feb 21, 2017
Chicybez:
INNOVATION NAIRALANDERS... package our local garri like this, u will definitely sell
only lekki and asokoro ppl buy this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Easter Fried Rice | Step By Step Guide To Make Fried Rice / Over 70% Nigerian Foods Rejected Abroad - NAFDAC / How Much Is A Sachet Of Water In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.