Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime (3080 Views)

Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult / Lagosians Groan Over Darkness And Fuel Scarcity / Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by babapupa: 9:07pm On Dec 10, 2009
Kay 17:

you are an iidot, Lastma fines 350000 for forgetting vehicle document at home, is such a person a criminal? the real criminals are terrorising Lagos, and the touts fashola appointed as security are too scared to confront, rather pursue innocent weak and law-abiding citizens.   i think i'm justified not pay taxes because there is nothing absolutely that is gained. rather, trees and grasses and flowers is what he can show for it.

Till you successfully prove that the Lagos state government  put a gun to your head to remain in  Lagos, prevent you from heading back to your village and forced you to pay taxes, you're just another disgruntled bad bele  loud mouth. Your issues are far beyond Fashola and Lagos state, obviously, it's personal and you need to sort it out with yourself,
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Sauron1: 9:10pm On Dec 10, 2009
babapupa:

Till you successfully prove that the Lagos state government put a gun to your head to remain in Lagos, prevent you from heading back to your village and forced you to pay taxes, you're just another disgruntled bad bele loud mouth. Your issues are far beyond Fashola and Lagos state, obviously, it's personal and you need to sort it out with yourself,

Don't be too harsh on the dude. . . . . .He might have been banned from stepping his foot in his village.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by AloyEmeka6: 9:15pm On Dec 10, 2009
Kay 17:

you are an iidot, Lastma fines 350000 for forgetting vehicle document at home, is such a person a criminal? the real criminals are terrorising Lagos, and the touts fashola appointed as security are too scared to confront, rather pursue innocent weak and law-abiding citizens.   i think i'm justified not pay taxes because there is nothing absolutely that is gained. rather, trees and grasses and flowers is what he can show for it.

You are justified for nothing. Trees and grasses are part of the ecosystem and they are more important to the environment than tall buildings besides, they cost money to maintain.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by OAM4J: 9:19pm On Dec 10, 2009
Dis Guy:

Tell fashola to fix Ajegunle we dey pay tax too but nothing!! lipsrsealed

Abi na only lekki be lagos now?

According to Tinubu, Ajegunle is beyond redemption. The only thing that can be done in Aj is to demolish all the houses and invite the modern Lagosians to rebuild it, as it was done in Maroko. But Aj people are not ready. If you are ready, let Fasola know. grin
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by babapupa: 9:25pm On Dec 10, 2009
~Sauron~:

Don't be too harsh on the dude. . . . . .He might have been banned from stepping his foot in his village.

lol. Just stating the obvious, the guy's rants against Lagos state and Fashola is weird and scary,
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by astar2008(m): 11:17pm On Dec 10, 2009
Everbody some Good points raised here,
i must say Nigerians are used to getting a free ride at the expenses of the state and then Complain when things do not get done, this kind of attitude has to change.

The Government has to raise revenue for state development from some source, the alternative would be for the state to Borrow funds (which it Does anyway) or worse still not carry out important development projects at which point people will Complain about the Government having not done what it supposed to have done.

Abroad the Tax regime is a lot stricter trust me, the penalties for not having the right car documents is a lot stiffer, this ranges from cash penalties to having you car seized and Crushed.

please if the law says carry your car documents at all times that's what you should do, that way the Lastma guys will not have a leg to stand on.

In as much as you can see the benefits of your taxes and Fines you should be happy and pay and not complain. i must say this is noticeable to a degree in Lagos state, However on the other hand there is still a lot more that can be done.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Fhemmmy: 11:42pm On Dec 10, 2009
There is a price for good living.
Lagosians has been making noise that Fashola for presidency, so they have to know all what he is doing wasn't done with his salary, so he has to generate more money from somewhere if the money coming from the FG isnt enuf.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Nchara: 11:42pm On Dec 10, 2009
People,

I am 1000s of kilometers away from Lagos and Nigeria. I have no personal business in Lagos and my only relation living there is a multi millionaire who can afford any taxes even much more than the indigenous Lagosians. These Yoruba fools in here ranting about should eschew tribalism. Fasola is not GOD that cannot be criticized. He is just a lawyer and a governor (probably for 8 years ONLY). Those aren't peculiar achievements, since Nigeria has tens of thousands of lawyers and hundreds, if not thousands, of governors (since independence). I do not give a rat's arse about the person of Fasola. My bills and taxes here in the US are far more than most Lagosians can pay but heck we are talking about Naija where salaries are tragically low, on the average.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by sjeezy8: 11:43pm On Dec 10, 2009
Dis Guy:

Tell fashola to fix Ajegunle we dey pay tax too but nothing!! lipsrsealed

Abi na only lekki be lagos now?

[size=13pt]Ajegunle people and those in any slum area arent ready for development. If it were in any other country, they would knock all those BS illegal slums structures down, cause they probably dont meet proper housing codes. The Government should break up EVERYTHING  and start over with NEW developments, they are just having mercy on you people[/size]

They should break everything down and start with new developments
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Fhemmmy: 11:45pm On Dec 10, 2009
Nchara:

People,

I am 1000s of kilometers away from Lagos and Nigeria. I have no personal business in Lagos and my only relation living there is a multi millionaire who can afford any taxes even much more than the indigenous Lagosians. These Yoruba fools in here ranting about should eschew tribalism. Fasola is not GOD that cannot be criticized. He is just a lawyer and a governor (probably for 8 years ONLY). Those aren't peculiar achievements, since Nigeria has tens of thousands of lawyers and hundreds, if not thousands, of governors (since independence). I do not give a rat's arse about the person of Fasola. My bills are taxes here in the US are far more than most Lagosians can pay but heck we are talking about Naija where salaries are low on the average.

i am trying to understand your point and your anger.
People with multimilionaires relatives dont make noise about it.
You so much taxes in USA, if you dont like it, u are free to take the next flight back to Nigeria.
So are you saying that cos people are making not much salary, they shd not be taxed?
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Fhemmmy: 11:46pm On Dec 10, 2009
sjeezy8:

[size=13pt]Ajegunle people and those in any slum area arent ready for development. If it were in any other country, they would knock all those BS illegal slums structures down, cause they probably dont meet proper housing codes. The Government should break up EVERYTHING  and start over with NEW developments, they are just having mercy on you people[/size]

I couldnt have said it any better, cos i am sure if Fashola take the bulldozer to those places now, it will be chaotic
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Nchara: 11:48pm On Dec 10, 2009
There is already 5% VAT paid, so why the additional taxation on consumption? Not that I care because it does not affect me in any way. Just fighting for the poor Yoruba and Okoro residents. grin grin
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Fhemmmy: 11:52pm On Dec 10, 2009
Nchara:

There is already 5% VAT paid, so why the additional taxation on consumption? Not that I care because it does not affect me in any way. Just fighting for the poor Yoruba and Okoro residents. grin grin

Are u for real?
Do u have any idea how many people are not working in Lagos alone, and how will the 5% VAT be enuf totake care of all that has to be done in that place . . . . u said u reside in USA and i am sure there is service tax on consumptions and services, so what is different.
Your arguement, people are not making enuf money in Nigeria, granted, however, service tax are taxes based on usage, if you not at the hotel, you wont pay tax, if yu dont eat at poshy restaurant, you can avoid the taxes.
So tell me what a poor man doing at the hotel?
How many poor man eats at nice restaurants?
I think they actually need to find a way to introduce takes to anything bought anywhere and anytime.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Nchara: 12:02am On Dec 11, 2009
Femmy

What is VAT? You do not need to be working to pay VAT. If you walk into Mr Biggs eatery and buy some chicken, you already pay your 5% VAT and Mr Biggs people do not ask you if you are working or not. VAT= consumption tax. Why another consumption tax for Lagos residents, especially when the 5% VAT is again redistributed to states?
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by DisGuy: 9:57am On Dec 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

They are not ready for development? Wasn't it the govt that moved them from their original location to build mansions without providing alternative for them in the first place? How did their houses become illegal structures? if it weren't for the failures of the govt in the first place, what was the govt looking at when these houses/areas were being built? what is the job of the local government and housing/building controls department, im sure they receive rent and fee from these people to now turn back and call them illegal is wrong
these people deserve proper developments too not just lekki VI and co afterall with better facilities they'll be improved business and employment opportunities hence more revenue for the govt
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by honeric01(m): 10:46am On Dec 11, 2009
Pay your tax, pay your tax, those criminals called landlords should pay their taxes, they make huge amount of money with these houses they refused to refurbished, they also must pay their taxes, commission and agreement taxes must be paid too. angry
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Kay17: 3:19pm On Dec 11, 2009
@sauron, please enumerate the basic amenities? @ babapupa, its people like you that take canopies and drums and trumpets( accompanied with fellow idiotss) to courts to support politicians on trial for corruption. i'm not just satisfied with his tree planting. he should try horticulture! grin
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by illusion2: 4:51pm On Dec 11, 2009
ayinba1:

@Nchara,
The point is if a person does not like the taxes in Lagos, there are 49?? other states in Nigeria to try out. I live in the US, left Chicago for another state because of parking availability = parking tickets.
Again, please start a thread lauding the achievements of any of the Eastern/Southeastern state governors.
@ayinba1, We have 36 states(excl Abuja) in Nigeria not 50  tongue

Nchara:

People,
I am 1000s of kilometers away from Lagos and Nigeria. I have no personal business in Lagos and my only relation living there is a multi millionaire who can afford any taxes even much more than the indigenous Lagosians. These Yoruba fools in here ranting about should eschew tribalism.  My bills and taxes here in the US are far more than most Lagosians can pay but heck we are talking about Naija where salaries are tragically low, on the average.
@Nchara,
I think people will take you serious, the moment  you desist from all this ‘Igbo is the best’, Yoruba is bad nonsense. You claim to live abroad, I wonder why you can’t reason clearly without being beclouded by ethnic sentiments?

You have a right to hold  opinions on any issue, but please stop linking every problem in Nigeria to Ndigbo marginalization !

Now to the issue, VAT in case you don’t know is collected by the FG and shared equally among the states , after the FG has removed its own share according to the ‘revenue formula’. This is not only a disservice to the people of Lagos, but transverses  any common sense known to man.
You can argue whether the tax regime in Lagos is too high or unfair, but stop linking everything to ‘Yoruba’,’ndigbo’.

On the issue at hand ,I agree with the majority on this one- You don’t have to live in Lagos. We have all been used to inefficient & corrupt governments who care less about proper budgeting, income, expenditure etc hence the average Nigerian has been brought up not expecting much from govt and certainly not paying taxes.

Its high tome we all woke up to our civic responsibilities  by paying our taxes as well as demand from government their own part in the equation(good roads, hospitals, security etc).
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Nchara: 6:48pm On Dec 11, 2009
Illussion2,

VAT money is not shared equally. Lagos generates more VAT money and also gets the highest, among the states. There was (or perhaps still on) a lawsuit in which Lagos wants to get all of the VAT that comes from the state (just like the oil-producing states are asking for 100% resources control) but the feds are kicking seriously. I am asking a friend who works in the fed min of finance to get me one month's VAT disbursement data. As soon as that is available, I will post it here. I had one before but lost it when my NL-dedicated laptop crashed due to NL's virus infection tongue tongue

I agree that Lagos does not get back the equivalent of the VAT money it generates, but so do the oil-producing states with respect to oil from their lands.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Sauron1: 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2009
Kay 17:

@sauron, please enumerate the basic amenities?

Motorable roads. . . .Street Lights, Good transportation, etc.
You cannot tell us Lagos is not different to what it was some 6 years ago.

Nchara:

This 5% should be increased to about 13% sef.
5% VAT in this day and age? What help will that do?
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by mekusxxx: 7:26pm On Dec 11, 2009
~Sauron~:

This 5% should be increased to about 13% sef.
5% VAT in this day and age? What help will that do?

Then people should stop panting too when the FGN wants to increase fuel price by eliminating subsidy.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by illusion2: 7:37pm On Dec 11, 2009
Nchara:

Illussion2,
VAT money is not shared equally. Lagos generates more VAT money and also gets the highest, among the states. There was (or perhaps still on) a lawsuit in which Lagos wants to get all of the VAT that comes from the state (just like the oil-producing states are asking for 100% resources control) but the feds are kicking seriously. I am asking a friend who works in the fed min of finance to get me one month's VAT disbursement data. As soon as that is available, I will post it here. I had one before but lost it when my NL-dedicated laptop crashed due to NL's virus infection tongue tongue
I agree that Lagos does not get back the equivalent of the VAT money it generates, but so do the oil-producing states with respect to oil from their lands.
I admit you're almost correct on that score,the monthly allocation for Oct 2009 is here,except that the FG takes a huge chunk of the VAT before sharing tongue.

You can get the other allocation from the FMF website here.

But like you said,there isn't any need to share it in Abuja,since its largely a 'consumption' tax. . . .all states should be encouraged to grow their economies as well.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Nchara: 7:42pm On Dec 11, 2009
illusion2:

I admit you're almost correct on that score,the monthly allocation for Oct 2009 is here,except that the FG takes a huge chunk of the VAT before sharing tongue.

You can get the other allocation from the FMF website here.

But like you said,there isn't any need to share it in Abuja,since its largely a 'consumption' tax. . . .all states should be encouraged to grow their economies as well.

Read my posts. I have always said of (among) the states, Lagos takes the highest of the VAT money. Of course the FGN is the big brother grin grin grin

Also, I take it you also agree that oil-producing states should use their oil to grow their economies, right?
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Kay17: 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2009
~Sauron~:

roads and flowers are all we need from our govt?  in south africa, a labourer was working on mandela's son's roof when he fell and was grievously injured. he called for an ambulance but a fire truck was sent. he was furious and lamenting and cursing  the govt. in naija, would you see wheel barrow not to talk of ambulance or fire truck! and i should pay taxes, as illusion2 earlier said, we are too used to bad govt.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by illusion2: 11:28pm On Dec 11, 2009
Nchara:

Read my posts. I have always said of (among) the states, Lagos takes the highest of the VAT money. Of course the FGN is the big brother grin grin grin

Also, I take it you also agree that oil-producing states should use their oil to grow their economies, right?
Most definitely ! True federalism in my own opinion = 100% resource control.

You'll be surprised most Nigerians support this view anyway !
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Nobody: 11:47pm On Dec 11, 2009
most people would rather sit on their lazy haunches and abuse progress rather than show their state govt what's happening in lagos and ask them to follow suit so people will feel comfortable going back home.

or maybe if more parts of nigeria were open to immigrants like lagos it would make nigerians less prone to bad belle.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Sauron1: 1:59am On Dec 12, 2009
Kay 17:

roads and flowers are all we need from our govt?  in south africa, a labourer was working on mandela's son's roof when he fell and was grievously injured. he called for an ambulance but a fire truck was sent. he was furious and lamenting and cursing  the govt. in naija, would you see wheel barrow not to talk of ambulance or fire truck! and i should pay taxes, as illusion2 earlier said, we are too used to bad govt.

At least, he has started something.
For a second, think about what Fashola will achieve in 8 years. . . . . .
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by Abagworo(m): 7:27am On Dec 12, 2009
It is funny how hypocritical people can be.when it comes to 100% resource control they oppose.to divide nigeria they oppose.deregulation they oppose.taxation they oppose.in what way will nigeria move forward?i support taxation but i dont support insult.i know that most people in lagos are not from lagos.for those calling on people to leave lagos,they are puverty ridden fools trying to claim what is not theirs.nigeria is being run with money generated from oil which my community has about 45 wells with yorubas occupying some positions in tha oil companies.how many times have you heard any niger-deltan asking yorubas or northerners to leave shell,agip,total,chevron,adax?many people in our community are jobless graduates so we even have the moral rights to be employed because of our contribution to your country.so yorubas should stop this insult on other nigerians whose areas were neglected by yoruba and northern led government.
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by babapupa: 8:08am On Dec 12, 2009
Abagworo:

whose areas were neglected by yoruba and northern led government.

Are your people/leaders not part of the same government/responsible for the same neglect? And if I might add, your son of the soil is the vice president of the federal republic of Nigeria. Abeg stop crying,
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by back2back(f): 6:15pm On Dec 12, 2009
This could be silver-lining for Ogun State if they tap into this opportunity!
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by arcmoon: 4:11pm On Apr 23, 2011
Nchara:

Femmy

What is VAT? You do not need to be working to pay VAT. If you walk into Mr Biggs eatery and buy some chicken, you already pay your 5% VAT and Mr Biggs people do not ask you if you are working or not. VAT= consumption tax. Why another consumption tax for Lagos residents, especially when the 5% VAT is again redistributed to states?
All you janded people sef. I live in London, I live in New York BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! Y you go there? You should come back to Lagos now!!! Live here for a few months before you flee again. Point is, while you r in the developed countries, you basically just do your work, pay your taxes and have your fun. In Naija, after paying quadruple taxes to all manner of agencies, you pay your rent in 2 years, provide and finance your power, security, waste disposal, water, roads, pay over 50 times 4 internet service what you practically get free, pay through your nose for phonecalls etc. Then the government now asks you to pay 25,000 naira for making a wrong u-turn on a bad road with probably no visible signage when the FGN itself cannot pay 18,000 naira for minimum wage. So because una dey wear snowsuit 4 yankee in december, make we sef follow suit? Remember Fela said 'TEACHER DONT TEACH ME NONSENSE'! Abegee!!!
Re: Lagosians Groan Under Severe Tax Regime by seanet02: 4:21pm On Apr 23, 2011
arcmoon:

All you janded people sef. I live in London, I live in New York BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! Y you go there? You should come back to Lagos now!!! Live here for a few months before you flee again. Point is, while you r in the developed countries, you basically just do your work, pay your taxes and have your fun. In Naija, after paying quadruple taxes to all manner of agencies, you pay your rent in 2 years, provide and finance your power, security, waste disposal, water, roads, pay over 50 times 4 internet service what you practically get free, pay through your nose for phonecalls etc. Then the government now asks you to pay 25,000 naira for making a wrong u-turn on a bad road with probably no visible signage when the FGN itself cannot pay 18,000 naira for minimum wage. So because una dey wear snowsuit 4 yankee in december, make we sef follow suit? Remember Fela said 'TEACHER DONT TEACH ME NONSENSE'! Abegee!!!
This is your first post and you are not making any sense!!
SMH

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ex-gov Bola Tinubu Demands Resignation Of Nurtw Boss Over 7.4 Billion Fraud / 15 Killed In Abuja(nyanya/karu, Mararaba Road) Road Crash / Buhari Vows To Recover Billions Of Dollars Stolen By President Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.