Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,706 members, 7,865,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:12 AM

Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) (702 Views)

I Cant Cope In Math Department And I Lost Interest / UNN Student Emerges Winner In The Lifesaver Essays Writing Contest.(photo) / You Said U're Good In Math Abi Oya Try This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) by HungerBAD: 6:38am On Feb 23, 2017
Chinaesom Jacqueline Anyanwu and Victor Chinedu Madumere both had strong reasons to want to win the fifth The Ultimate Mathematics Ambassadors (TUMA) competition last Saturday.

For Chinaesom, a primary six pupil of Tripplecross Schools, Ikeja, it was to make history as the first girl to lift the trophy in the history of the competition. For Victor of God’s Pride Group of School, Ota, it was to repeat the feat achieved by his brother, Samuel, in 2012 edition of the competition.

It was, therefore, understandable when there was palpable tension before the winner was unveiled by Mr Samson Osewa, chairman of the Ambassadors Schools, Ota, which organised the competition.

The duo were the best of the 1,155 primary school pupils from 402 primary schools in Lagos and Ogun states that entered for the competition held at the Ambassadors Junior School in Ota.

They qualified with 18 others (top 20) for the second stage of the competition which featured three rounds – theory, objectives, and quiz.

In the quiz programme, modeled after the Cowbellpedia 60 seconds fame, all the pupils had to answer 10 questions that were the same in 60 seconds.

Chinaesom won emphatically with 88 marks – earning 33 in theory, 28 in objective, and 27 in the quiz rounds. Victor came second with 83 marks (24; 23; 24.3 in rounds 1-3).

Ten-year- old Chinaesom was rewarded with N200,000, and a plaque. Her teacher got N75,000 and a plaque, while the school got a laptop, printer, laptop, mathematics textbooks and a plaque.

Victor on the other hand got N150,000, his teacher, N50,000, and the school same as the first prize.

In third place was Maximilian Chibueze Ibekwe of Our Lady of Apostles Private School, Yaba, who went home with N100,000 and a plaque; N30,000 for his teacher, and printer and textbooks for his school.

The fourth to 10th placed winners were rewarded with N30,000 each, while their teachers got N15,000. The 11th to 20th placed winners also got N15,000 and N5,000 for their teachers.

About 111 pupils that scored at least 50 per cent in the first stage of the competition were presented with gifts and certificates.

Speaking on her victory, Chinaesom who wants to be a medical doctor or professor, said she was excited to win.

“I feel excited.I knew by God’s grace I would win. I studied hard and well. I had to sleep late to study for the competition,” she said.

Her father, Michael, a banker, said she was determined to lift the trophy.

“She (Chinaesom) told me from the beginning that she would win. She said it was unfair that a girl had never won the competition. She stayed up to 11.30pm to study,” he said.

Victor, who lost to Chinaesom said he was sad not to have repeated his brother’s success in 2012 but happy he came second.

“I am sad I did not win but I am happy to have come second. I prepared very well. I also prayed to God to give me success,” he said.

Proprietor of Ambassadors School, Mrs Victoria Osewa expressed joy the competition had produced its first female winner.

“I have been praying for this. I am the happiest person here today,” she said.

Mrs Osewa added that the competition has improved over the years.

“We don’t have any regrets because every year it is improving. When we first started, the marks were low but the aim is to remove the phobia for mathematics and that aim is being achieved,” she said.

Her husband said the school did not allow the recession to stop the organisation of the programme. Though it cost millions of naira to implement, Osewa said the outcome worth the effrort.

“Ignorance is more expensive. We believe that the future of Nigeria will be greater if the children know what they need to know,” he said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/10-year-old-girl-makes-history-math-contest/

1 Like

Re: Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) by HungerBAD: 6:39am On Feb 23, 2017
I am proud to be an Igbo.

Chinaesom Jacqueline Anyanwu and Victor Chinedu Madumere are making us proud, I AM PROUDLY NGWA today.

Meanwhile, Seun Osewa are you related to the Mr Samson Osewa? the man giving out the award?i know you grew up around that neck of woods.

1 Like

Re: Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) by Nobody: 6:40am On Feb 23, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Congratulations kiddo
Re: Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) by dejt4u(m): 6:49am On Feb 23, 2017
HungerBAD:
I am proud to be an Igbo.

Chinaesom Jacqueline Anyanwu and Victor Chinedu Madumere are making us proud, I AM PROUDLY NGWA today.

Meanwhile, Seun Osewa are you related to the Mr Samson Osewa? the man giving out the award?i know you grew up around that neck of woods.

yes. Na hin parents get the school

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) by HungerBAD: 6:49am On Feb 23, 2017
dejt4u:
yes. Na hin parents get the school

Okay cool.

1 Like

Re: Jacqueline Anyanwu 10-year-old Girl Makes History In Math Contest(photo) by speedyconnect3: 7:09am On Feb 23, 2017
pics arent clear

(1) (Reply)

Live Protests In Osun State Secretariat Osogbo By Lautech Students / Can An Original Waec Certificate Be Received Twice / chi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.