Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] (44781 Views)

Man Builds Computer Lab For His Former Primary School (Pics) / Imo State University Student Slumps & Dies After Her Project Defence (Photos) / Ajayi Crowther University VC Shuts School After Students Poured Him Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 7:44pm On Feb 23, 2017
ItsMeAboki:
Let them check for another cause of death; I am not sure this level of exposure was sufficient to kill him; unless of course he ingested it or injected into his blood but otherwise mere skin contact isn't sufficient - the death is most likely coincidental.
Did you read the post
Do you know what aniline can do
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by sbashir10(m): 7:45pm On Feb 23, 2017
Navalguy:
who his death EPP ?
One day, Your death Will help no one.

1 Like

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by FRANKOSKI(m): 7:45pm On Feb 23, 2017
In this hard time ..?GOD help his family.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by chiefojiji(m): 7:46pm On Feb 23, 2017
rip to you sir!

just wondering alone, what dey will write under the obituary....

like if someone was sick before dey die, dey will write, died after a brief illness

what will dey write for this?
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:47pm On Feb 23, 2017
OluDare01:

Did you read the post
Do you know what aniline can do

I did and know aniline; perhaps you can explain better.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Acetyl(m): 7:52pm On Feb 23, 2017
oh am kinda late to this thread as a real scientist always take precautions when necessary to avoid stories of this kind... RIP though
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Nobody: 8:03pm On Feb 23, 2017
Stealing from the work place...If the guy was Igbo, all sorts of insults would have been hurled at Igbos here.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by seamus387(m): 8:04pm On Feb 23, 2017
INTERMAN:
Exposure to aniline may occur from breathing
contaminated outdoor air, smoking tobacco, or
working or being near industries where it is
produced or used. The acute (short-term) and
chronic (long-term) effects of aniline in
humans consist mainly of effects on the lung,
such as upper respiratory tract irritation and
congestion. Chronic exposure may also result
in effects on the blood. Human cancer data are
insufficient to conclude that aniline is a cause
of bladder tumors while animal studies indicate
that aniline causes tumors of the spleen. EPA
has classified aniline as a Group B2, probable
human carcinogen.
GOd bless u. u r speaking my language.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 23, 2017
chiefojiji:
rip to you sir!

just wondering alone, what dey will write under the obituary....

like if someone was sick before dey die, dey will write, died after a brief illness

what will dey write for this?

Died after STEALING OFFICE PROPERTY!
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Bluezy13(m): 8:07pm On Feb 23, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

I'm sure you are not a chemist!!
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by chiefojiji(m): 8:09pm On Feb 23, 2017
prince3009:

ahn ahn!!! haba, he no dey steal na. he was trying to cut short is waka ni na! without he knowing dat he was only trying to quicken his journey to heaven or anywhere he chooses
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 8:12pm On Feb 23, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

Maybe he inhaled a heavy dose of the compound or it was well absorbed through his skin.
Though OP stated that it got to his bloodstream.
Aniline competes with oxygen in the body,it oxidizes iron II to iron III in the blood which impairs oxygen transport.
Just 1g of aniline is death!
The maximum allowable level (MAL) of most aromatic compounds is well within the ppm range about 100ppm.
Anything more than that can lead to death; depending on the level of exposure.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ayesco202(m): 8:14pm On Feb 23, 2017
Navalguy:
who his death EPP ?
May God have mercy on you. angry
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by joinnow: 8:36pm On Feb 23, 2017
One thing must kill a Man grin
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by chimexdnice(m): 8:46pm On Feb 23, 2017
reminds me of my 2nd year in sch when acid (sulphuric acid) accidentally spilled and burnt my lab suit and my new jeans trousers ( o my new jeans trouser) grin grin thank God I was wearing correct boxers that day ooo grin grin grin
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by IBreakRules: 8:52pm On Feb 23, 2017
SmartMugu:
This one wey everybody just die, how many of us remain? I think we need a fresh and transparent censors, don't we?

LMAO! u no be bastard. God bless pesin wen Nairaland-Christen u

1 Like

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ItsMeAboki(m): 8:56pm On Feb 23, 2017
OluDare01:

Maybe he inhaled a heavy dose of the compound or it was well absorbed through his skin.
Though OP stated that it got to his bloodstream.
Aniline competes with oxygen in the body,it oxidizes iron II to iron III in the blood which impairs oxygen transport.
Just 1g of aniline is death!
The maximum allowable level (MAL) of most aromatic compounds is well within the ppm range about 100ppm.
Anything more than that can lead to death; depending on the level of exposure.

I am basing my judgement according to the narration which put the cause of poisoning to skin contact (yes, I am aware aniline can get into one's system through the skin) as a result of an accident after chemical leaked onto him when holding it his pocket.

You can therefore easily count out (at least to the minimal) inhalation because it was outdoors where normal draft would have diluted most of the chemical - leaving therefore the major route of poisoning to skin contact.

Considering that aniline is an irritant, I venture to predict that the deceased's attention would have been alerted to the spillage and therefore start taking action to decontaminate himself (unless if he was completely ignorant and negligent of the danger to himself at the time).

The lethal dose is estimated to range between 50 -500mg/kg body weight or about 10g. for an average adult of 150 lb.
It should be obvious that such a dose is unlikely achievable within the short exposure period I would imagine he was in contact with the chemical - (before washing it off).

The antidote is a common dye, methylene blue; which should have saved him if administered to him in time (unless if he was misdiagnosed) and quite surprisingly that he should die (if he was truly poisoned) especially within a learned environment such as a university/hospital where such information should be readily available.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:00pm On Feb 23, 2017
Bluezy13:

I'm sure you are not a chemist!!

Sometimes the ppl you underestimate will surprise you.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Outofsync(m): 9:00pm On Feb 23, 2017
OluDare01:
From my experience so far, safety in Nigerian institutions is zero. No safety training, no safety data sheets, no standard operating procedures for chemical handling, no waste management; they wash everything down the drain.
All they do is wear lab coats,lol.
RIP to the man
Stop saying nonsense. How many institutions have you been to
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Nobody: 9:03pm On Feb 23, 2017
RIP great Chemist! You died in active service cry
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 9:06pm On Feb 23, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

I am basing my judgement according to the narration which put the cause of poisoning to skin contact (yes, I am aware aniline can get into one's system through the skin) as a result of an accident after chemical leaked onto him when holding it his pocket.

You can therefore easily count out (at least to the minimal) inhalation because it was outdoors where normal draft would have diluted most of the chemical - leaving therefore the major route of poisoning to skin contact.

Considering that aniline is an irritant, I venture to predict that the deceased's attention would have been alerted to the spillage and therefore start taking action to decontaminate himself (unless if he was completely ignorant and negligent of the danger to himself at the time).

The lethal dose is estimated to range between 50 -500mg/kg body weight or about 10g. for an average adult of 150 lb.
It should be obvious that such a dose is unlikely achievable within the short exposure period I would imagine he was in contact with the chemical - (before washing it off).

The antidote is a common dye, methylene blue; which should have saved him if administered to him in time (unless if he was misdiagnosed) and quite surprisingly that he should die (if he was truly poisoned) especially within a learned environment such as a university/hospital where such information should be readily available.
I'm glad you know a lot about this, but I'm sure the incident was not handled properly. A lab tech should know that the wash station should be his first point of contact before first aid is administered. Maybe we don't have enough details but I'm sure something fishy happend
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 9:09pm On Feb 23, 2017
Outofsync:
Next time, go learn how to talk to people politely. This is a faceless forum, you don't know me, I've never come across you before.
If my post doesn't make sense to you, kindly ignore it.
I'm sure I know well enough before I posted here
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by yoged(m): 9:10pm On Feb 23, 2017
During my final project. .i worked on Cadmium and lead. Like 2 years after it, I was sick and went for a Medical check up. Some traces of cadmium and lead was found in my system. Not really much though. ( Chemistry )Science project no be beans.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Outofsync(m): 9:12pm On Feb 23, 2017
OluDare01:

Next time, go learn how to talk to people politely. This is a faceless forum, you don't know me, I've never come across you before.
If my post doesn't make sense to you, kindly ignore it.
I'm sure I know well enough before I posted here
Bro, I dispense niceties when someone is peddling falsehood.

Saying lab assitants and technologists have no training is a very grave assumption that must be trashed out.

So I ask again, how many institutions have you been toundecided
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 9:15pm On Feb 23, 2017
yoged:
During my final project. .i worked on Cadmium and lead. Like 2 years after it, I was sick and went for a Medical check up. Some traces of cadmium and lead was found in my system. Not really much though. ( Chemistry )Science project no be beans.
Please tell him
Outofsync:

There's standard SOP for all these chemicals.
I can remember when I was in 300l, most of us fell sick cos of daily chemistry practicals because we were exposed to a high dose.
I was surprised when I started my MSc in the US and discovered how they take safety so important.
Normally, your advisor should have trained you on how to work with those heavy metals. You surprised why nuclear chemistry isn't renowned in Nigeria? It is safety!

1 Like

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 9:17pm On Feb 23, 2017
Outofsync:

Bro, I dispense niceties when someone is peddling falsehood.

Saying lab assitants and technologists have no training is a very grave assumption that must be trashed out.

So I ask again, how many institutions have you been toundecided
Can you point out where I said that
OluDare01:
From my experience so far, safety in Nigerian institutions is zero. No safety training, no safety data sheets, no standard operating procedures for chemical handling, no waste management; they wash everything down the drain.
All they do is wear lab coats,lol.
RIP to the man
Read my post again.
I'm not gonna argue with you.
If you don't understand me, just move on
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by mechanics(m): 9:24pm On Feb 23, 2017
eyah so unfortunate
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 9:53pm On Feb 23, 2017
Lol, this is a faceless forum
ItsMeAboki:

Sometimes the ppl you underestimate will surprise you.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:11pm On Feb 23, 2017
OluDare01:

I'm glad you know a lot about this, but I'm sure the incident was not handled properly. A lab tech should know that the wash station should be his first point of contact before first aid is administered. Maybe we don't have enough details but I'm sure something fishy happend

If he actually died of aniline poisoning then I would have to say that he was very negligent (in fact he had no business carrying a toxic chemical in his pocket) and was mismanaged at the hospital.

However, I am more inclined to suspect that the probable cause of death was something else for the reasons already mentioned.

This unfortunate incidence should be a reminder to all laboratory personnel and students who knowingly flout laid down laboratory safety regulations.

I recall a tragic incidence as a student when a technician mistook another poisonous chemical (mercuric nitrate) for water and mistakenly drank it - he died a few days later.

His death could have been avoided had he and his colleagues obeyed the standard safety guidelines i.e. never store food and drinks in the same fridges meant for chemicals/reagents; while all chemical/regents must be clearly labelled and dated at all times.

This happened because reagent was not labelled, it was a clear liquid like water, the technicians were also storing their drinking water in the same fridge; it was a hot afternoon and the late technician was thirsty and drank almost all the content before he realised his mistake.

1 Like

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:14pm On Feb 23, 2017
OluDare01:
Lol, this is a faceless forum

Yes, and the more reason you should not make assumptions about ppl who you not know.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ipobbigot7: 10:40pm On Feb 23, 2017
miredia:
Good you modified it.
Thanks
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by timzy2: 12:09am On Feb 24, 2017
prince3009:

don't say what you don't know he was preparing chemicals that would be used for practical by part one student that day!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo:Toilet In UNIPORT Hostel (graphic Images). / ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike / 4 Habits That Silently Kill You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.