Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

How To Stop Being A People's Pleaser - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Stop Being A People's Pleaser (595 Views)

Dont Be A People Pleaser / How To Stop Being A People's Pleaser / A Pleaser And A Giver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Stop Being A People's Pleaser by roberthans: 3:33pm On Feb 23, 2017
Do you find it so difficult to say No, and then you console yourself by saying or thinking it’s a priority to help them since they are either family or friend, and then when they disagree with you on something or tell you “No” when you ask for a favor, you get depressed and think they don’t appreciate all you have been doing for them, you remember you did all they asked you to do and when you needed their help, they told you NO.
Life’s unfair right, nah I don’t agree, my dearest, you might be very healthy, work out every time, and the last thing you thinking of is a disease or sickness, guess what, you have one. It’s being a people’s pleaser.

I have to make a confession, I was a people’s pleaser, if I was to be given a dollar for every time I did something I didn’t feel like doing just because I didn’t want somebody sad, angry or disappointed, I would be trading big in forex now and should be able to afford a Mercedes.
I haven’t totally recovered, but I can say I am better than before, that’s why I can write this. Now I am not saying that helping someone at their point of need is wrong, all I am saying is if you feel bad at the end of every attempt and not happy, you just displeased yourself to please another person.

As a people’s pleaser, you tend to engage all your time and resources in doings things just to impress another person, and this comes from a place of severe low self-esteem, and unfortunately, when people notice this, they tend to exploit you over and over again.
Let me drive you on how to stop being a people’s pleaser, the first step is to lessen the need for validation from others and work on increasing your self-esteem.

The second step is to say No In a way that feels good to you, and also in a strong way, and don’t make any excuses, just say no and then tell them sincerely the reason why you can’t help them. The first period you have to accept that you will feel guilty when you say no to some requests, but with time and practice, you can stand for yourself and decide when it is right to help.

The last step I will share with you to let go of people who will try to exploit you on purpose, and these are the hardest people to let go of, because you have been so obsessed in impressing them than you are with caring for yourself.

They will be the ones who will try to convince you even when you say No, and no matter how you say no, they will continue testing your determination.
The best thing to do is to let them fall away and accept the lessons they taught you, and learn never to fall victim again.

If you start with this steps, you should start making progress, but note that it isn’t easy, and sometimes and in some situations, you might people-please again. Don’t be too hard on yourself, practice makes perfect, keep learning.
Love yourself, Learn to say No, Stop People Pleasing.
Here are some more details: Sales automation video

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Stop Being A People's Pleaser by odave: 4:02pm On Feb 23, 2017
roberthans:

Love yourself, Learn to say No, Stop People Pleasing.
Here are some more details: Sales automation video

Hmm wise words... All you put up there is nothing but pure truth but most time it doesn't arise from having low self esteem, most time it's from Christ like heart. As I'm typing, this is what I'm going through. When all you want is for someone to be happy, to smile, to be relieved and he or she is self centered. I was even thinking of changing my number, keep to my self and let them feel my absence. What I fear most is overdoing something coz if I should switch to being self centered I may never look back...

(1) (Reply)

See Wetin This Girl Do This Guy / Lady Sets Her $1,500 Wedding Gown On Fire To Celebrate Her Divorce / Romance Story Must Read: My I.T Sex Escapades (18+) Season 4, Episode 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.