Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,832 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? (49347 Views)

Advice On Hustle To Libya For Greener Pastures / Should I Travel Out Of Nigeria To USA Or Stay In Lagos To Start My Music Career? / Looking For A Greener Pasture We've Got The Right Option For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by linearity: 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2017
Go into farming, an acre of land is about 5k depending on location.

In a year, you will triple that money...thank me later.
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by enshi(m): 2:02pm On Feb 24, 2017
sircrabo:

open online stores on jumia and konga.

Look for items that are sellable on both platforms.

Pick items in different categories. I.e Fashion, mobile accessories, home and kitchen ...

With just 500K, Invest 100K in each item under a category

That is 100K worth of mobile accessories, fashion items, ...

If you can import them from china, fine ,else source for them locally in comp villa, idumota, Alaba ...
FX rate is damm too high now , cost of shipping is alarming.

The e-commerce market is just too wide.

If you follow this steps and with good items, I guarantee you at least. 60% ROI

You can use the 300k for something else.

Thank me later.

Wonderful...
Now you just spoke...
And why did you go against the abroad
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by ayindejimmy(m): 2:02pm On Feb 24, 2017
bukiboy:

Pack bag and go? With tourist visa abi, Welldone.

Illegal immigrant fate is not certain, you might end up in jail.

No harm in looking for greener pasture abroad but don't do anything illegal, get the right documents and follow the right procedures. Protect Nigeria's image and don't block other people chances (that are ready to do what's right).

Since you can save up 800k (assumption, because I no know wetin you do to get the money), why not stay and save more or start kiosk like aboki (mind you na the same business shoprite dey do but on a larger scale) be prudent and see what that will yield.

Read the post again. He said travelling legally
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by enshi(m): 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2017
linearity:
Go into farming, an acre of land is about 5k depending on location.

In a year, you will triple that money...thank me later.

What kind of farming... Be explicit
Remember there are seasons
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by Curdlebug(m): 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2017
wayne4loan:
Young man come to alaba and invest that money u will be surprised how much it will generate within a year
what kind of investment opportunities is available sir?
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by James150: 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2017
lestat:

This is a trick question right? undecided
Due 800k cant start up a proper business, yes its extremely tough being abroad without anyone but i would advise you take your chances abroad..

Trust me faced the same decision and chose to leave Nigeria and have never once regretted it, it gave me leverage to have the kind of job i have here now
why not tell him where you are and assist him make it now like make things easier for him
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 24, 2017
Why not use it and do GHW... I believe before 5months, u will surely have enough
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by chiefoluigwe(m): 2:13pm On Feb 24, 2017
800k will not take you very far outside the country. Stay here and invest in our country.
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by enshi(m): 2:15pm On Feb 24, 2017
sweetboiy:
Why not use it and do GHW... I believe before 5months, u will surely have enough

What is GHW
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by cooldood(m): 2:16pm On Feb 24, 2017
initialize:
I don't know why I find it difficult to reason why I should travel to another country. My first international passport expired without any stamp. The second one is already a year old and still not taken it to any embassy. I'm among those that believe I will grow my hundreds to billions in Nigeria. I didn't say millions because that's already achieved within 4yrs of trying.

Believe in Nigeria and Nigeria will reason ur situation.

800k is even much money to start a business. If you got the 800k legitimately I'm surprised you asking this question. Do you want to tell me there's no more money where the 800k came from?

Biggest fraud! which millions is already achieved in 4 years, 1 million naira or what or N10 million. For your information that your N1million is now barely $2,000 (minimum wage for an attendant in Walmart store per month) or is it N10million (still minimum wage within 10 months). The truth is there is no future in Nigeria, take it or leave it. I give Nigeria three years, 1 dollar will exchange for N1,000, why? because we will continue to be far behind in terms of productivity and continue to depend on imports. That discussion is for another forum so let me get back to this topic.

Op, someone has already advised you rightly, look out for countries that are immigrant-friendly including Canada, Germany, etc, where you can either travel for visit, work or study to gain entrance into. Get into one of these countries and go take up something legal. I have had millions in 9ja, ran business, worked in different top firms in 9ja, but I tell u something, there is no future for 9ja, that is the truth. I have engaged with Government, Private sector, name it, I can tell you Nigeria is on a long thing. Your children will thank you in future for taking that single step of stepping out of 9ja.

To begin with, identify countries (e.g Canada) you have close friends in and engage them, so if you can take up a short diploma course in Canada, do that, start processing your application, raise more funds to show at the embassy (family/ friends could also assist to transfer funds into your account over a period of 6 months to show at the embassy that you are not going to be a liability in their country, though its not all your money, so you have to return people's funds), also enrol for IELTS and take the test, get admitted to the 6-9 month short program and gbam, if luck smiles on you, you get into Canada. While there, look out for legit stuffs you can do while studying and make yourself a valuable human being.It is better to be hustling legally in serene nations than hustling in 9ja, why? in few years time, people that you are laughing at today that are doing so called menial jobs in J.D, or yankee or else where, will soon buy over all your properties in 9ja and become your landlord in future.

Nigeria is a country that is set-up to favor rent-seekers, lazy nepotism-promoters who come to deceive people that it is their sweat that got them to where they are today (when we actually know better). It is a distorted country, it does not reward or promote hard and smart work, rather it punishes hard workers. Till today year 2017, property rights do not exist in real terms, intellectual rights is zero, not to even talk about the justice system. Nigeria is a country that kills dream, it doesn't support it. Am I saying there are nobody that hustle genuinely and make it, certainly yes there are, however, breaking through is the exception not the norm, if you can only count less than a handful of the youths that are doing quite well. The choice is yours, either you want to continue to hustle where chances are you may hustle till you die (more than 80% chance), or relocate to places where dreams are allowed to thrive and chances are as high as 80%. Where you find peace, is your home. Not necessarily your father's land.

A word is enough...

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by NaWetinDey(m): 2:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
It will be the worst mistake of your life. Even if your mind is made up to go to Malaysia to steal and peddle drugs, you need to sell your soul to the devil here to be able to even feed yourself there not to talk of coming back home to brag and dance to all these demonic songs they sing these days about Malaysia while making it sound as if it's God who 'blessed' them.

Use that money and begin to do even the unthinkable businesses. Search out for where food commodities are higher demands in wholesale or even retail, then go to remotest of places to get them and supply, within a year, you will buy a bus of lorry to help you maximize. Forget overseas especially with that little money. By the way, if you travel out, you should have some money to last you for a while before you stand on your feet; and forget about having anybody over there to help you with free food and accommodation beyond 2 weeks to a month. If you insist, I can only wish you safe return.

1 Like

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by THUNDER4real(m): 2:28pm On Feb 24, 2017
@Op If you don't take that step of leaving this country 9ja, your children will not be happy with you...Please take this step now and sacrifice for tomorrow....If my great grandfather had the opportunity of leaving this country and he did, their by ensuring that his down generations has dual citizenship, I don't think I will know how to spell the word recession talk more of experiencing it....Sorry to add: NIGERIAN CURRENCY HAS NO VALUE...U better move now, a time will come that N800k will be use to buy a sachet of pure water..lol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 2:28pm On Feb 24, 2017
ayindejimmy:
Traveling abroad can only pay you when you already have someone there you can hang with till you get a job and a place.

Stayin in Nigeria... I can't guarantee that. Cos when you start a biz here that's when you'll know 800k is not much. Nigeria is such an expensive place to do biz

So if you have someone that's already doing great in places like Germany, Canada, France, Holland or even United Arab Emirates. I'll advise you pack your bags and go.

The way politicians are going, the change we need in Nigeria will take a while
And 185 people like your post? Wow! Well travel out of this country and you will see the meaning of 'all man for himself'.
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by sircrabo: 2:35pm On Feb 24, 2017
enshi:

Wonderful...
Now you just spoke...
And why did you go against the abroad

I don't have anything against anyone planning to travel abroad especially if you haven't traveled b4. (So I don't look like a bad belle ) Just that 800K won't do much now.

You might also be lucky to achieve what takes other people 10yrs to achieve in 6months.
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by cooldood(m): 2:35pm On Feb 24, 2017
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

And 185 people like your post? Wow! Well travel out of this country and you will see the meaning of 'all man for himself'.

So you mean it is not all man for himself in 9ja or what? As long as you intend doing a legal endeavor, people are better of attempting that legal endeavor in serene nations. 9ja is a zoo, no apologies, no healthcare system, no security, poor education, no basic amenities, in fact in Nigeria, it is all man for his safety!

3 Likes

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by Kasjudy(m): 2:39pm On Feb 24, 2017
enshi:
Hi nairalanders ,

Pls i need advice from everyone. Pls if you have 800k at hand would you travel abroad to hustle (legally) or would you stay here in nigeria to start up somthing.??

If you are to travel pls which country can you vouch and if its business please which business can you suggest.

Thanks in anticipation for your credible, valuable and unabashed ideas/suggestions
good advice, but have a rethink on United Arab Emirates. Like that won't favor u
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by Nicepoker(m): 2:45pm On Feb 24, 2017
That can buy a pk crushing machine for me. Send the money to my account
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by adegeye38(m): 2:46pm On Feb 24, 2017
enshi:
Hi nairalanders ,

Pls i need advice from everyone. Pls if you have 800k at hand would you travel abroad to hustle (legally) or would you stay here in nigeria to start up somthing.??

If you are to travel pls which country can you vouch and if its business please which business can you suggest.

Thanks in anticipation for your credible, valuable and unabashed ideas/suggestions
They are lot of sectors u can invest in with that money, that would make u a millionaire in a short while, Agriculture, Transportation, Consumer food and good processing, sales, manufacturing and a lots more

Agriculture alone has thousands of opportunities, you just have to pray, think, research, plan and execute

I for example recently made a business investment with less than 700 000 naira, that would earn me abt 90 000 per WEEK, that abt 360 000 per month, now i have the potential and mean to invest in more sectors and also expand, i can also make an investment abroad too cos i already have d means.

So staying here where u knw d in and out, where u are nt a second class citizen his, where u dont have d huge demand of bills and taxes his always better.

As have said earlier PRAY, RESEARCH, PLAN, EXECUTE.

1 Like

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by larrytorch(m): 2:47pm On Feb 24, 2017
Harbosede02:
This is why dis country can never move forward....greener pasture ko...mtchewwu

lol

Judging by ur ID card you are a Funaabite. right?
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by linearity: 2:48pm On Feb 24, 2017
enshi:

What kind of farming... Be explicit
Remember there are seasons

It is raining season, so most cash crops should be game, plus some lands are good for certain kind of crops. Cassava is year round, you can't go wrong with tomatoes, need closer watch, maize is not bad, etc.

When you lease a land, go for at least 5years lease, with this you can do crop rotation season-in/season-out, etc.

You will never go wrong with farming, more so because lots of Nigerians, especially youths hate it with a passion, but despite recession, we still love to eat, someone have to feed the ever increasing hungry Nigerians and it might as well be you else the Indians and Chinese are flooding our market with their substandard foods.

Nigerians know too well that, when it comes to food; if we have home grown alternatives, we will always go for the home grown. That is why when we are truly hungry, we skip Mr. Biggs and go for mama Put.

2 Likes

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by Omonigeriarere: 2:49pm On Feb 24, 2017
initialize:
I don't know why I find it difficult to reason why I should travel to another country. My first international passport expired without any stamp. The second one is already a year old and still not taken it to any embassy. I'm among those that believe I will grow my hundreds to billions in Nigeria. I didn't say millions because that's already achieved within 4yrs of trying.

Believe in Nigeria and Nigeria will reason ur situation.

800k is even much money to start a business. If you got the 800k legitimately I'm surprised you asking this question. Do you want to tell me there's no more money where the 800k came from?

What if he got that amount through savings from.salaries before he was laid off?
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by ItzWonderz(m): 2:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
Just take a study round nigeria envrioment n look at what people need,,use dat need to ur advantage and ur new source of income.
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by tabontabon: 3:01pm On Feb 24, 2017
Am interested in this business.Can you throw more light on it.

akblings:
With dat amount u can get a locally made refinery for recycling of plastics, u can use waste sachet water polymers as raw materials,
u buy d molds, and start ur production of plastic buckets, plates, disposal cups, spoons etc,
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by Omonigeriarere: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2017
bastien:
oga boss, since u have some millions, I would just only need 100k to open a bet shop, that's the new selling business in town... Thanks sire

Really?
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by talk2max: 3:10pm On Feb 24, 2017
With all that being said,as someone who has lived abroad for over 8yrs and still here...I would advice u to jus find a business u are passionate about back home and invest in it...sincerely in this recession time 800k isn't much ,but u can do something with it if u can find the right investment ,depending on what u have in mind ...give it about a year ,you might get something from it...the only way traveling abroad would favour you is if you do have someone already out there that is stable and you won't have to go through all that,jus like it's been stated up there,cos again wit the usd rate too...u can earn jus about that amount in a month if u are good at savings ,but this is only if u got someone out there and won't be paying those ridiculous bills for Atleast a year too...then u won't have to worry about your visa processes ,cost and air fare ..hope this helps!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by litaninja(m): 3:10pm On Feb 24, 2017
Just carry ur bag & clear...
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by kayjegs: 3:13pm On Feb 24, 2017
Check this thread for business ideas:

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need

My advice is that 800K is too small to travel out and get settled abroad especially in US, Canada or Australia. Europe like someone said here is struggling with immigrants and are not likely considering people coming. Moreover, the best way to travel abroad is through schooling and that is obviously more expensive than 800K.
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by mfm04622: 3:15pm On Feb 24, 2017
distilledwalex:
Buy neat camry tiny light and join uber.. If you sabi drive dat is..

With 800k?
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by ozoebuka1(m): 3:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
ItzWonderz:
Just take a study round nigeria envrioment n look at what people need,,use dat need to ur advantage and ur new source of income.
please say those things people need, That's d need for dis thread.
Re: 800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? by mfm04622: 3:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
ayogozie:
I will advise you to travel to sri lanka is a cool place to live and work

What kind of work should he expect?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Sacked Driver Clings To The Bonnet Of His Boss’ Moving Car (Photo, Video) / Young Boy Who Works As A Vulcanizer In Ibadan / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.